ImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread: Kind of a Drag...ic

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Official Trade Thread: Kind of a Drag...ic 

Post#2201 » by RunDogGun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Guaranteed treadmill team? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not sure how long you have been a Clips fan, but getting super high picks over multiple years doesn't make you a good team. And since you are in LA you should know better that the Lakers are never down for long. I don't think there was any way we could have received their pick this year, and I do think they will significantly improve enough to make it a 10-14 pick next year. If it's Kobe's last year in the league, I can see a ton of League help to get him into the playoffs, like the league did when we had their pick last time. Knight is a good player.

So thanks for coming by to throw what you think is salt in the wound.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#2202 » by Lindecision » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:26 pm

GoranTragic wrote:
NotTraxxe wrote:Also we had a deal working with Chicago with Mo Bros but it got mixed with drama. Free to say that now.

Everyone thought I meant Mathews but I was referencing Chicago. And thus Obama.

Also someone said earlier the stuff during the CBA with Sarver wasn't true. That is not the case. Many owners but especially players do not like Sarver. And he was mega pro-owner.

What was the deal? Mixed with drama?

Lindecision wrote:
In Len We Trust wrote:
I can't believe you traded for Austin Rivers :lol:

If I had my son held hostage I would have done the same thing. We all would! :lol:

And funnily enough, Austin's actually working out. He's giving us a lot more than Farmar/Bullock did.

SF88 wrote:Remember when you traded Eric Bledsoe for Jared Dudley and a 2nd rd pick?

Yeh, Doc is a terrible GM! But what can you do eh? At least he's a good coach.

I expected better from McD though. Much better. You don't trade that Lakers 1st round pick (plus Ennis and Plumlee) for Brandon Knight. You don't just speculate that the Lakers are going to be a playoff team in the West next year. Sure, Knight could work out for you. He could really compliment Bledsoe, but he isn't even close to having the value as that Lakers pick. The value trade off is completely one sided. Knight is never going to be a franchise player. Neither is Bledsoe. That Lakers pick might be high enough for the Suns to draft their own franchise player. Pair that guy with Len, then you'd REALLY have something you can build around.

But that's gone now. Now you're a guaranteed treadmill team. You weren't going to get their pick this year, but with it being top 3 protected the next 2 years then unprotected after that, there was always the possibility of it becoming a 4th or 5th overall pick in the next couple years. Just the CHANCE of that happening was worth keeping that Lakers pick. The value of the pick was always going to get higher and higher as we came closer to the draft as well. What a disaster. You better hope the Lakers are really good next year, but considering how insanely competitive the Western Conference is, its highly unlikely. Woah. Just hit me. Suns fans potentially rooting for the Lakers to justify a trade? Imagine that!

Go back to your board troll :roll:

Just talking basketball.

RunDogGun wrote:Guaranteed treadmill team? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not sure how long you have been a Clips fan, but getting super high picks over multiple years doesn't make you a good team. And since you are in LA you should know better that the Lakers are never down for long. I don't think there was any way we could have received their pick this year, and I do think they will significantly improve enough to make it a 10-14 pick next year. If it's Kobe's last year in the league, I can see a ton of League help to get him into the playoffs, like the league did when we had their pick last time. Knight is a good player.

So thanks for coming by to throw what you think is salt in the wound.

But yeh, I know. The Lakers are never down for long, but this time it feels really different. There's clearly a stink when it comes to the Lakers these days. All I know is it ain't happening next year. All the best free agents are accounted for. Even if they get like a Greg Monroe, the West is too tough for it to make a difference. You're right. Knight is a good player. Just not worth the pick. Trading that Lakers pick was not smart. Maybe Sarver has him on a playoffs mandate or something.

It'll be a very interesting point of discussion if its the Lakers who give Knight that huge offer sheet that he isn't necessarily worth. Maybe even the Parsons max.
mikefly3113
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#2203 » by mikefly3113 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:34 pm

batsmasher wrote:Hindsight is wonderful thing. I'm so glad we didn't trade Gerald. Never did I think I'd be calling him loyal, humble, professional but he's earned all those titles. His maturation is something which probably caught a lot by surprise, but I think it's time we give him some credit. He hasn't complained about his role, his minutes, his DNPs. He hasn't DUI'd, mixed with the wrong crowds or done anything stupid.

Whenever he has the chance he always goes back to how he's "grateful" Phoenix gave him the opportunity. I think it's about time Phoenix show how grateful they are at the person Gerald Green has become. I don't think anyone on the team deserves their success more than him. He built himself from the ground up after bouncing around Europe.

It's a massive cliche but life really is bigger than basketball and amidst all the crap this team has been going through, Gerald hasn't been caught up in any of it. Bravo Gerald, I hope we can find a way to keep you in Phoenix this summer.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

100% agree. Gerald was by far my favorite player last year, the guy never got enough credit last year when Dragic went down and played phenomenal. Like you said many times this year Dragic replaced Green at the end of games with the 3 pg lineup. Guy never said a word. When he was benched for poor play, didn't he mouth off to hornacek or complain about the system? No he kept quitet and did his job when asked (unlike some other player). I've always said you need a 'wildcard' player I guy that may shoot 1-10 or may single handily win the game. This guy's career has been such a rollercoaster you can just see he IS greatful to be here. I understand we'll most likely lose him because he is a free agent and we've got Archie waiting in our back pocket but I love this guy and would be thrilled if we kept him. Also I think were gonna see more Gerald of last year for this last stretch, its gotta be a good feeling when you have been cast off your entire career and traded multiple times and have the exact opposite thing happen this year. I don't buy any of the Thomas/Green trade rumors earlier this year. I don't think he was ever going anywhere.
I like Draft Picks/Cap Space, long walks on the beach, and short youtube clips.

VIVA LA STOOL
Hsker4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,263

Post#2204 » by Hsker4Life » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Of course there is no guarantee the Suns will have Knight next year, but if they do keep him at a reasonable price....

Knight > #10 or so pick in next year's draft. It really isn't even close, IMO.
Orens
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#2205 » by Orens » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Hsker4Life wrote:Of course there is no guarantee the Suns will have Knight next year, but if they do keep him at a reasonable price....

He will be.

Remember when the Hawks pick from the JJ trade was Top-3 protected and the Hawks were awful?
They made it to 3# and drafted Al Horford right after Kevin Durant. Next year, they made it to the playoffs and we got 15# instead - Robin Lopez.
It's not like we're lacking youth or out of picks. McD decided now would be a good time to cash in, with the pick likely netting us a lesser player than Knight (no matter his price), and I trust him. The Clippers fan of all people should be aware of his talent evaluation skills - Eric Bledsoe says hi.
GetYourPHX
Pro Prospect
And1: 789

Post#2206 » by GetYourPHX » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 pm

mikefly3113 wrote:
batsmasher wrote:Hindsight is wonderful thing. I'm so glad we didn't trade Gerald. Never did I think I'd be calling him loyal, humble, professional but he's earned all those titles. His maturation is something which probably caught a lot by surprise, but I think it's time we give him some credit. He hasn't complained about his role, his minutes, his DNPs. He hasn't DUI'd, mixed with the wrong crowds or done anything stupid.

Whenever he has the chance he always goes back to how he's "grateful" Phoenix gave him the opportunity. I think it's about time Phoenix show how grateful they are at the person Gerald Green has become. I don't think anyone on the team deserves their success more than him. He built himself from the ground up after bouncing around Europe.

It's a massive cliche but life really is bigger than basketball and amidst all the crap this team has been going through, Gerald hasn't been caught up in any of it. Bravo Gerald, I hope we can find a way to keep you in Phoenix this summer.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

100% agree. Gerald was by far my favorite player last year, the guy never got enough credit last year when Dragic went down and played phenomenal. Like you said many times this year Dragic replaced Green at the end of games with the 3 pg lineup. Guy never said a word. When he was benched for poor play, didn't he mouth off to hornacek or complain about the system? No he kept quitet and did his job when asked (unlike some other player). I've always said you need a 'wildcard' player I guy that may shoot 1-10 or may single handily win the game. This guy's career has been such a rollercoaster you can just see he IS greatful to be here. I understand we'll most likely lose him because he is a free agent and we've got Archie waiting in our back pocket but I love this guy and would be thrilled if we kept him. Also I think were gonna see more Gerald of last year for this last stretch, its gotta be a good feeling when you have been cast off your entire career and traded multiple times and have the exact opposite thing happen this year. I don't buy any of the Thomas/Green trade rumors earlier this year. I don't think he was ever going anywhere.

Just adding another voice to the GG love train. The dude is just a great fit for this team. He'll never be a starter here, and he may lose minutes to Archie/Warren, but I'd be tickled pick to see him in a Suns uni again next year. He's hands down been one of my favorite Suns to watch over the last two years.

Maybe it's just because I play a lot of computer games and love to yell GG at the TV.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#2207 » by Lindecision » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Orens wrote:
Hsker4Life wrote:Of course there is no guarantee the Suns will have Knight next year, but if they do keep him at a reasonable price....

He will be.

Remember when the Hawks pick from the JJ trade was Top-3 protected and the Hawks were awful?
They made it to 3# and drafted Al Horford right after Kevin Durant. Next year, they made it to the playoffs and we got 15# instead - Robin Lopez.
It's not like we're lacking youth or out of picks. McD decided now would be a good time to cash in, with the pick likely netting us a lesser player than Knight (no matter his price), and I trust him. The Clippers fan of all people should be aware of his talent evaluation skills - Eric Bledsoe says hi.

But you gave up the chance to have franchise calibre talent. That's what the NBA is built upon. You don't cash in on pure gold. I mean come on. Well, if the Lakers are good next year then it vindicates McD, but as it stands right now, not looking good.

And you didn't get Bledsoe because of McD's talent evaluation. You got him because Doc is a stupid GM.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#2208 » by RunDogGun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:05 pm

I have nothing against Green, I just think his time here is finished. He has mad hops, but we rarely see it used this season. He seem much more interested in chucking a contested deep two, then making a smart backdoor cut for an easy hoop. He seemed to get worse at dribbling this season, with multiple dribbles right into other players.

But he still can get hot, and at times, can be a decent passer. But there really isn't much need for him with the youth we have waiting in the wings (literally). Warren can score just as well as Green, Goodwin can slash better, and Bullock can hit the three. All of them are better rebounders than Green (when looking at their DLeague stats), and all of them are better defenders. If we can keep the roster the same, add our picks, and possibly bring in A Brown next year, we don't need Thornton, Green, and Granger. And we still have room to grab a decent FA along with resigning the Brandons.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#2209 » by saintEscaton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Still think we will look back this in retrospect a few years from now knowing we won this trade and made best of the precarious situation handed to us
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#2210 » by RunDogGun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Lindecision wrote:
Orens wrote:

He will be.

But you gave up the chance to have franchise calibre talent. That's what the NBA is built upon. You don't cash in on pure gold. I mean come on. Well, if the Lakers are good next year then it vindicates McD, but as it stands right now, not looking good.

And you didn't get Bledsoe because of McD's talent evaluation. You got him because Doc is a stupid GM.

What? Again, as a Clipper fan, you should know that drafting high in a draft does not mean you are drafting a franchise calibre talent. Candyman anyone?

Next, LAL will most likely be drafting in the top three this year. With Randle coming back, that is like having two lotto picks, one of which will be extra hungry because he lost a full season. A retiring Kobe, who is still a great player, and a league all to familiar with the Celtics and Lakers saving the league in the eighties nd later. So much so, that they pulled some nice strings to get back to back finals when the finals were getting boring to the fans.

Now add all their guys on final years of their deals, fighting for good contracts. More hungry players, will make for a nothing to lose attitude. All of this, and they still have a huge market to grab FAs, and the money to spend.

Thinking about all of this, and if they grab a top three player in this draft, I think that their pick will be at lowest the eleventh pick.

Oh well, it isn't like we traded the number one pick to get rid of Davis or something stupid like that. Or unprotected picks to get rid of KT. :banghead:
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#2211 » by RunDogGun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 pm

saintEscaton wrote:im a bad gm

I think you might want to check your status again, you are just a bad junior right now. :wink:
Orens
Sophomore

Re: Re: Official Trade Thread: Kind of a Drag...ic 

Post#2212 » by Orens » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Lindecision wrote:
Orens wrote:

He will be.

Pure gold? That's a wildcard.
1. The 16' class is projected to be a weak one. Chad Ford was quoted earlier, look it up.
2. There is no way you know where the Lakers pick is going to end up. With so much cap space (potentially two max players), two high picks (Randle and a Top-5 pick), no reason to tank, a new coach and Kobe retiring, they will come back.
That's far away from guaranteed "pure gold".
The Clips gave up on Bled but McD got him. It takes two to dance tango. The Bucks tried to grab him but failed. Other teams like the Magic as well. McD has never lost a trade so far, and that's the first time the value in a trade he made is questionable - but he had a chance to grab Knight, a borderline-all star guard who fit in great with the Suns system, keeps improving in each and every year thanks to his legendary work ethic, and just turned 23 - so he'll be a part of the core for years to come.
That's better than waiting for a 19-20 years old unproven player who might pan out, might bust and drop out of the league, or just turn into a decent but disappointing role player.
Either way, we wouldn't know for two or three years because we wouldn't have gotten the pick this summer. Bledsoe and the Morrii will be 28 or 29 in the hypothetical Lakers' pick sophomore year.
So what's the point? Value? McD decided to cash in and I trust him for it.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,687

Post#2213 » by Qwigglez » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Lindecision wrote:But you gave up the chance to have franchise calibre talent. That's what the NBA is built upon. You don't cash in on pure gold. I mean come on. Well, if the Lakers are good next year then it vindicates McD, but as it stands right now, not looking good.

You really think that Lakers pick had any chance of helping the Suns out? You think the league would actually let that pick land outside of the Lakers protected area? I highly doubt it.
If the Lakers are as bad as you say next year, then they will almost guaranteed get a top 3 pick the following draft, in which case, the Suns wouldn't have gotten that pick anyway.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#2214 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Lindecision wrote:
But yeh, I know. The Lakers are never down for long, but this time it feels really different. There's clearly a stink when it comes to the Lakers these days. All I know is it ain't happening next year. All the best free agents are accounted for. Even if they get like a Greg Monroe, the West is too tough for it to make a difference. You're right. Knight is a good player. Just not worth the pick. Trading that Lakers pick was not smart. Maybe Sarver has him on a playoffs mandate or something.

It'll be a very interesting point of discussion if its the Lakers who give Knight that huge offer sheet that he isn't necessarily worth. Maybe even the Parsons max.

I think the Lakers will suck next year too. Enough so that they will probably get a top 3 protected pick. But lets say they are mid lottery or something....half of lottery picks are busts and only maybe one or at the most two lottery picks per draft come close to making the all star game in their rookie contract, as Knight did. Knight was the 8th pick and has worked hard and improved every year. He is a guaranteed productive player, whereas a potential lottery pick isn't guaranteed anything, and if he becomes a productive player, it is years down the line. So the chance that pick turns into a near all star by his fourth year is maybe 5-10%.

Also, if the Lakers do suck next year and get a top 3 pick, I think they will begin to get better in 2016, with their top 5 pick this year in his second year, Randle in his second year, and that top 3 pick, along with some free agents they will sign that summer when Kobe and everyone else except the guys on rookie contracts come off the books. In that case the pick might not be very good at all.

Even if that pick conveys in 2016, that is projected to be one of the weakest drafts in years. That 4th pick might be Dion Waiters or Otto Porter.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#2215 » by letsgosuns » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Lindecision wrote:
Orens wrote:

He will be.

How does it not look good? Franchise caliber talent? The Suns did not give up the number one pick in the draft. It is top five protected this year and then top three protected the next two years after that. Chances are that pick will never be better than the fourth pick in the draft. Is the fourth pick in the draft good? Of course. But the Suns valued Brandon Knight more than whoever they could have gotten with the pick whether it be this year or next year or the year after that. That is the point. Ryan McDonough has already proven himself as an excellent talent evaluator. He was on the radio a few weeks ago saying he is not excited about this year's draft and was much higher on last year's draft.

The Suns want to get better right now. They already have a franchise center in Alex Len and two young players with major upside in Goodwin and Warren. Plus they own the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovich in Europe. They will have their own pick in this year's draft. The entire core of the team is 20-25. How many more young players do they need? Their biggest need right now is veteran leadership.

You know what is pure gold? The 2021 unprotected first round draft pick from Miami. The top seven protected 2017 pick from Miami is great, but the unprotected one is the best. Sure it is far away. But it is 100% unprotected. Do you know how hard it is to acquire a completely unprotected pick? Teams rarely ever give those away. When that draft rolls around many years from now, who knows what Miami is going to look like. I doubt Wade, Bosh, and Dragic are going to be winning championships together in Miami in 2021. Who knows. That pick could be the number one pick in the draft. The Heat might look back on it one day and say I cannot believe we traded those two draft picks for Goran Dragic. What were we thinking. We just gave up the number one pick in the draft.
Son of Ra
Rookie
And1: 1,009

Post#2216 » by Son of Ra » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:01 pm

RunDogGun wrote:I have nothing against Green, I just think his time here is finished. He has mad hops, but we rarely see it used this season. He seem much more interested in chucking a contested deep two, then making a smart backdoor cut for an easy hoop. He seemed to get worse at dribbling this season, with multiple dribbles right into other players.

But he still can get hot, and at times, can be a decent passer. But there really isn't much need for him with the youth we have waiting in the wings (literally). Warren can score just as well as Green, Goodwin can slash better, and Bullock can hit the three. All of them are better rebounders than Green (when looking at their DLeague stats), and all of them are better defenders. If we can keep the roster the same, add our picks, and possibly bring in A Brown next year, we don't need Thornton, Green, and Granger. And we still have room to grab a decent FA along with resigning the Brandons.

Have to agree, just noticed that post trades he has played much more balanced, made some very nice passes and assists. He's not forcing the issue anymore. Really seems like all this iso play made players iso even more after all. Only chance to get your buckets/shots.
BUT, unless he would be willing to ride the end of the bench, which I would love, i think he is redundant and all his minutes should go to Warren, Goodwin and maybe Bullock (I know nothing about him so that's why maybe).
For what its worth I think McD mentioned pre-deadline that he would be resigned in the off-season though.
Orens
Sophomore

Post#2217 » by Orens » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:09 pm

letsgosuns wrote:
Lindecision wrote:
Orens wrote:He will be.

How does it not look good? Franchise caliber talent? The Suns did not give up the number one pick in the draft. It is top five protected this year and then top three protected the next two years after that. Chances are that pick will never be better than the fourth pick in the draft. Is the fourth pick in the draft good? Of course. But the Suns valued Brandon Knight more than whoever they could have gotten with the pick whether it be this year or next year or the year after that. That is the point. Ryan McDonough has already proven himself as an excellent talent evaluator. He was on the radio a few weeks ago saying he is not excited about this year's draft and was much higher on last year's draft.

The Suns want to get better right now. They already have a franchise center in Alex Len and two young players with major upside in Goodwin and Warren. Plus they own the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovich in Europe. They will have their own pick in this year's draft. The entire core of the team is 20-25. How many more young players do they need? Their biggest need right now is veteran leadership.

You know what is pure gold? The 2021 unprotected first round draft pick from Miami. The top seven protected 2017 pick from Miami is great, but the unprotected one is the best. Sure it is far away. But it is 100% unprotected. Do you know how hard it is to acquire a completely unprotected pick? Teams rarely ever give those away. When that draft rolls around many years from now, who knows what Miami is going to look like. I doubt Wade, Bosh, and Dragic are going to be winning championships together in Miami in 2021. Who knows. That pick could be the number one pick in the draft. The Heat might look back on it one day and say I cannot believe we traded those two draft picks for Goran Dragic. What were we thinking. We just gave up the number one pick in the draft.

Don't sleep on the 17' top-7 protected pick. The Heat have no cap, no youth and no picks, only expensive veterans who will be declining by then and Whiteside because they won't be able to max him if they give Dragic the max he wants (as they don't have his full bird rights).
They could have a Brooklyn Nets situation, and there is a possibility that the pick will be higher than the Lakers one, in what could be a better draft.
mikefly3113
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#2218 » by mikefly3113 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Orens wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
Lindecision wrote:

Don't sleep on the 17' top-7 protected pick. The Heat have no cap, no youth and no picks, only expensive veterans who will be declining by then and Whiteside because they won't be able to max him if they give Dragic the max he wants (as they don't have his full bird rights).
They could have a Brooklyn Nets situation, and there is a possibility that the pick will be higher than the Lakers one, in what could be a better draft.

Could also see a situation where they do something extremely dumb like signing Wade to a massive contract just to make sure he retires a Heat player just like the current Kobe situation. That has killed the lakers and might do the same to the Heat! :D
I like Draft Picks/Cap Space, long walks on the beach, and short youtube clips.

VIVA LA STOOL
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#2219 » by TeamTragic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 pm

mikefly3113 wrote:
Orens wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:

Could also see a situation where they do something extremely dumb like signing Wade to a massive contract just to make sure he retires a Heat player just like the current Kobe situation. That has killed the lakers and might do the same to the Heat! :D

They are already doing it now with Wade. That Bosh contract though :lol:
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#2220 » by Zelaznyrules » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:34 pm

NotTraxxe wrote:Also we had a deal working with Chicago with Mo Bros but it got mixed with drama. Free to say that now.

Everyone thought I meant Mathews but I was referencing Chicago. And thus Obama.

Also someone said earlier the stuff during the CBA with Sarver wasn't true. That is not the case. Many owners but especially players do not like Sarver. And he was mega pro-owner.

That's not exactly what I said. My understanding is that either the Lakers or the Knicks owner broke protocol and served their own agenda by leaking a story to Bill Simmons that was only partially true. The article Simmons wrote had a lot to do with the players hating Sarver as they and everyone else at the time accepted it as gospel. Prior to that article, he was mostly just viewed as a clown.

Simmons was led to believe that Sarver was leading the charge to break the back of the players but in fact, Sarver and Gilbert were mostly just standing in the way of the richer franchises. Yes, they wanted to reduce the players share (as did most owners) but there were many issues on the table, not just this one and Dolan(?) made it look like they were against everything the players wanted.

According to Stern (who can't stand Sarver), Robert was actually the one leading the charge to find middle ground and again, according to Stern, there probably wouldn't have been a season if it hadn't been for Sarver. But the most important thing as far as fans should be concerned is that Gilbert and Sarver are the main reasons that negotiations didn't result in an open market allowing the rich teams to buy the players they wanted without restriction and without luxury fines. The Stern comments I referenced are out there somewhere but I have trouble sifting through all the Sterling/Sarver articles when I search for Donald and Robert. Hopefully, someone with better search skills can find Stern's quotes.

Return to Phoenix Suns