ImageImageImage

Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space 

Post#1 » by bigfoot » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:30 am

Apparently we will have enough for a max player. Here's a link to current salaries

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHO.html
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Re: Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space 

Post#2 » by rsavaj » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 am

Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green and Tobias Harris will be restricted.
DeAndre Jordan and Greg Monroe are unrestricted. So are Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire :lol:

We don't have a shot at Gasol and Aldridge so let's not rosterbate about them.

I don't think he's ever leaving the Spurs but if you could sign Kawhi friggin Leonard to a max deal and force San Antonio's hand...man. That would be incredible. Still can't believe Banks missed on him.
Daredevilish
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Daredevilish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:43 am

I would be happy with any of Leonard, Butler, Green or Harris. We obviously need an upgrade on the wing, and any of those guys would be better than PJ Tucker. I know Leonard is untouchable. So which one of the remaining wings is on a team least able to sign them?
jeff2020
Senior
And1: 350

Post#4 » by jeff2020 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:44 am

Leonard and butler are the only ones I would be interested in, but only Leonard for a max deal. Free agent class is really really weak next year
MilotheSlayer
Senior
And1: 261

Post#5 » by MilotheSlayer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 am

As long as we don't max out Draymond Green I'll be happy. Butler is a guy who would fit well with hat we have going on. Hopefully we don't resign GGreen back.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:25 am

Honestly I don't think any of those guys are worth the max except probably Butler. I'd look for sweet deals, overlooked guys, continue to preserve cap space so you can pick up guys in trades on salary dumps like Bullock.

I don't think you need to bet it all on red. Or black, for that matter. Just take your time...wait for the right deal to come...we are young, building, having a team grow together...our core is through the draft.

I wouldn't mind going after one of those guys, but you have to be careful...people get overly obsessed about people on other teams and think they will be some sort of savior.

I think Warren can be good though. I don't necessarily want to move him further down the bench.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,348

Post#7 » by Revived » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:06 am

Draymond Green is actually the perfect PF for Hornacek's system. He's undersized, he's an improving 3pt shooter, has experience playing in an uptempo offense, he can rebound and he can play defense.

He'll only be as old as Bledsoe.

Kieff could go back to playing the Lamar Odom type 6th man role off the bench where his defense and rebounding issues would be hidden.

I wouldn't max Green but I'd make him a generous offer, one that GSW can't afford to match.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#8 » by Bogyo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 am

I'd take a loooong hard look at Monroe. He'll definatley is getting the max, and I'm not sure he deserves that, but if he is signed to the old-CBA max, he might be worth it in the new-CBA cap, if you get my drift...
This also depends on how we looking till the end of year (if we can rebuild chemistry, and our young guys show some improvement/promise), and of course how Monroe does till the end of year.
I just hope McD is doing his homework a lot better than in the previous offseason...

I wouldn't mind Harris, and I'd stay away from Draymond, I think he is a product of that system, and will struggle elsewhere, once defenses have time and possibility to cover him a bit than now in GS, where every opponent is just chasing the Splash bros around.

The rest of the names are not too realistic, nor too exciting for me.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#9 » by TASTIC » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 am

Golden State will keep Green, they didn't deal Lee now for the chemistry issues/Bogut injury concerns - but he's expiring next year so he'll be gone as a productive player still.

Butler and Kawhi, make both teams pay the max for sure, both would be ideal at SF.
Orens
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#10 » by Orens » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Leonard, as hard as you can. Blade-Knight-Kiwi? Blue collar, two-way, hard working backcourt with excellent athleticism and superb potential. Pretty much same level of experience and age, except that Kawhi is already a veteran considering his post-season achievements.
That backcourt is going to kill.
Green will be awesome but probanly won't be available.
Harris has struggled defensively, a bit of a tweener. Not sold on him yet.
Monroe - i honestly don't know. Doesn't seem like the right fit.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#11 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Find a rebounder.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#12 » by rsavaj » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:31 pm

It's honestly a pretty weak FA class after the guys listed above. Those look like our only options as far as big money players are concerned.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#13 » by NTB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:47 pm

I don't get how we will able to have a cap space for max. Will we have a 20 MD more even we give to Knight 15/18 MD ?
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#14 » by MathiasPW » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 pm

yes, as long as we sign him after we sign the max player. Til then only his cap hold (I think around 8 MM) counts against the cap.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: 

Post#15 » by NTB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:55 pm

MathiasPW wrote:yes, as long as we sign him after we sign the max player. Til then only his cap hold (I think around 8 MM) counts against the cap.

Thanks.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#16 » by Barkley6 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:33 pm

I wouldn't max out 1 player. Dont think it makes sense for where we are. If we were one piece away, then sure, why not? But we need more than just 1 guy to make this team a legit competitor in the West.

Some guys I'd go after, in order of priority:
Tristan Thompson-He's having a solid year this year, (9ppg 8rpg and shooting 53%), he's still very young at 23. Also, with Love and LeBron both likely opting out and looking for new deals, Thompson might be available at a solid price. I'd rather pay Thompson 8-10m/season than Monroe the max.

Khris Middleton- Bucks would likely match as he's a RFA, but he's a 6'7'' SG who is shooting 40.8% from 3 for his career. Bucks are paying OJ Mayo $8m next year, and they don't have a ton of cap space, an early offer sheet would handcuff them in FA if they matched. Worth considering.

Wesley Matthews- Not sure if he's a max guy, though he'll be asking for it. The one place this FA class is deep is on the wings, so that might drive down price a bit. If you can get him without overpaying, dude straight fills it up from 3. Is 28, but doesn't take a lot of contact (Only averages 3 FTA/game for his career) and hasn't had any major injuries.

Jeremy Lin- I'm not even joking here. He'd be a great 3rd Pg. Fits in with our youth movement at 26. His numbers aren't SO good that he warrants starters minutes (10ppg, 4apg), so not as much worry about an IT like situation, but he'd be a different look off the bench and bring a little BBIQ.

Henry Sims- Cheap(ish) backup big man. Still young at 24, so room to grow, but a decent contributor the last 2 seasons for Philly.

Derrick Williams- I think he just needs to find the right situation and hasn't done that yet. Also needs to mature a little bit. Still is only 23 and has definitely shown flashes. Could be a bargain that could really pay off if he ends up being a little bit of a late bloomer.

Danny Green- With Duncan, Ginobili and Kahwi all up for new contracts, I think Danny Green is the guy left out. Excellent 3pt shooter, obviously knows how to play team D, and moves the ball well for a 2 guard (averaging 3.3 APG for his career).
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#17 » by Flying Colors » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 pm

We should consider getting a rookie max player if theres one out there that would fit this team. even if its like 3 million overpay, because theres a chance that a max contract will never be this "cheap" ever again
Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#18 » by Ryu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Barkley6 wrote:Tristan Thompson-He's having a solid year this year, (9ppg 8rpg and shooting 53%), he's still very young at 23. Also, with Love and LeBron both likely opting out and looking for new deals, Thompson might be available at a solid price. I'd rather pay Thompson 8-10m/season than Monroe the max.

Thompson rejected 4-year 52 mil deal from Cavs. And his agent is our old friend Rich Paul.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#19 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:51 pm

I'd go all in on butler. Doubt the bulls bite but would be worth making a call about a sign and trade. Leonard would obviously be the best get but that ain't happening.

Always have liked Harris so would be cool getting him.

If they don't bring back wright as the backup center I'd kick the tires on Kosta kufus although I'm sure he'll be he'd rather take a starting job if he can find one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Post#20 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Barkley6 wrote:I wouldn't max out 1 player. Dont think it makes sense for where we are. If we were one piece away, then sure, why not? But we need more than just 1 guy to make this team a legit competitor in the West.

Some guys I'd go after, in order of priority:
Tristan Thompson-He's having a solid year this year, (9ppg 8rpg and shooting 53%), he's still very young at 23. Also, with Love and LeBron both likely opting out and looking for new deals, Thompson might be available at a solid price. I'd rather pay Thompson 8-10m/season than Monroe the max.

Khris Middleton- Bucks would likely match as he's a RFA, but he's a 6'7'' SG who is shooting 40.8% from 3 for his career. Bucks are paying OJ Mayo $8m next year, and they don't have a ton of cap space, an early offer sheet would handcuff them in FA if they matched. Worth considering.

Wesley Matthews- Not sure if he's a max guy, though he'll be asking for it. The one place this FA class is deep is on the wings, so that might drive down price a bit. If you can get him without overpaying, dude straight fills it up from 3. Is 28, but doesn't take a lot of contact (Only averages 3 FTA/game for his career) and hasn't had any major injuries.

Jeremy Lin- I'm not even joking here. He'd be a great 3rd Pg. Fits in with our youth movement at 26. His numbers aren't SO good that he warrants starters minutes (10ppg, 4apg), so not as much worry about an IT like situation, but he'd be a different look off the bench and bring a little BBIQ.

Henry Sims- Cheap(ish) backup big man. Still young at 24, so room to grow, but a decent contributor the last 2 seasons for Philly.

Derrick Williams- I think he just needs to find the right situation and hasn't done that yet. Also needs to mature a little bit. Still is only 23 and has definitely shown flashes. Could be a bargain that could really pay off if he ends up being a little bit of a late bloomer.

Danny Green- With Duncan, Ginobili and Kahwi all up for new contracts, I think Danny Green is the guy left out. Excellent 3pt shooter, obviously knows how to play team D, and moves the ball well for a 2 guard (averaging 3.3 APG for his career).

I'm fine with everyone except Thompson and Lin. Thompson already rejected a $12 million a year deal. He's not even a starter and he wants a max, and given his agent, who negotiates by demanding max or rejecting all other offers, I wouldn't eve want to deal with him.

Lin is not what we need. We can a PG or have Archie get those minutes, which we can now d thanks to Bullock.

Return to Phoenix Suns