Brandon Knight News and Discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Brandon Knight News and Discussion 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Post your info or welcome here. Here is an interesting documentary on him.

This has 7 parts, so if you want to watch them all, you might want to go to youtube. If you want me to post here, let me know.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Re: Brandon Knight 

Post#2 » by Revived » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Good stuff Bwgood.

Here's an article on Knight about the year he's having this season

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/2 ... nversation

Great character and is very book smart. Hopefully that translates to basketball IQ someday.
SUN
Lead Assistant
And1: 866

Post#3 » by SUN » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Hard worker. He just lacks the things a point guard can't really be taught.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:58 pm

SUN wrote:Hard worker. He just lacks the things a point guard can't really be taught.

That's why I think he fits perfectly starting at the 2. He shoots 40%+ from the arc, and definitely is good enough to play backup pg. Ideally you'd like more size at the 2, but it's not like we had that before.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#5 » by Damkac » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:06 am

Other video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNK6vc8cwU[/youtube]
DesertDreams
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#6 » by DesertDreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:58 am

I think he may be our best guard. Definitely our best point guard. The irony is, I think Goran and Knight could have coexisted and made for an EXCELLENT backcourt.

The issue we had this trade deadline started with Bledsoe, the uncertainty and knowing he is not a true pg worthy of the money he was demanding, led to a series of knee-jerk reactions in which we probably didn't end up with the guy wanted manning the ball on a constant basis.

IT, while not a bad contract, was some degree of assurance in the midst of all this uncertainty. I didn't mind. His contract/signing was not bad, but how we converted it left little to be desired. We probably could have held out for something better down the road.

Bledsoe is a good player, but not a good point guard, let alone great. His athleticism is undenieable, but his passing, or lack of, can be atrocious at times. His health is question mark. We let the wrong guy dictate our circumstance. I understand why, but disagree to the extent.

On paper the best assets coming and going this trade deadline where:

1) Dragic
2) Lakers 1st
3) Knight
4) IT or Miami's pick

It's understanable why many fans were a little upset. The fact that the best 2 assets were departing is troublesome. We get Dragic, it was painful, but understandable, our hands were tied, we had no choice.

Lakers pick was more difficult because we didn't have to move it going into the trade deadline and if we did, you'd assume it was something more valuable than the pick itself, not the case.

I already touched on the IT portion of all this.

The silver linning is that Knight IS LEGIT!!! Almost reminds me of a young Dragic. Statisically he is better at the same stage of their careers (I realize there are a lot of variables and not sayhing he will be better). I would have loved to have had him and Dragic in the same backcourt.

I think this whole thing would have been an A+ if we didn't lose the Lakers pick in the midst of it all.

But we did, so we'll just win the top pick in the draft and send Len, Okafor, Bledsoe and Knight on the floor next year ....ok, getting ahead of myself :) lol

But Brandon will do good things and help ease the lose of Goran.
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#7 » by b-ball forever » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:23 am

DesertDreams wrote:I think he may be our best guard. Definitely our best point guard. The irony is, I think Goran and Knight could have coexisted and made for an EXCELLENT backcourt.

The issue we had this trade deadline started with Bledsoe, the uncertainty and knowing he is not a true pg worthy of the money he was demanding, led to a series of knee-jerk reactions in which we probably didn't end up with the guy wanted manning the ball on a constant basis.

IT, while not a bad contract, was some degree of assurance in the midst of all this uncertainty. I didn't mind. His contract/signing was not bad, but how we converted it left little to be desired. We probably could have held out for something better down the road.

Bledsoe is a good player, but not a good point guard, let alone great. His athleticism is undenieable, but his passing, or lack of, can be atrocious at times. His health is question mark. We let the wrong guy dictate our circumstance. I understand why, but disagree to the extent.

On paper the best assets coming and going this trade deadline where:

1) Dragic
2) Lakers 1st
3) Knight
4) IT or Miami's pick

It's understanable why many fans were a little upset. The fact that the best 2 assets were departing is troublesome. We get Dragic, it was painful, but understandable, our hands were tied, we had no choice.

Lakers pick was more difficult because we didn't have to move it going into the trade deadline and if we did, you'd assume it was something more valuable than the pick itself, not the case.

I already touched on the IT portion of all this.

The silver linning is that Knight IS LEGIT!!! Almost reminds me of a young Dragic. Statisically he is better at the same stage of their careers (I realize there are a lot of variables and not sayhing he will be better). I would have loved to have had him and Dragic in the same backcourt.

I think this whole thing would have been an A+ if we didn't lose the Lakers pick in the midst of it all.

But we did, so we'll just win the top pick in the draft and send Len, Okafor, Bledsoe and Knight on the floor next year ....ok, getting ahead of myself :) lol

But Brandon will do good things and help ease the lose of Goran.

Knight was a better asset than Dragic. They're at an equal basketball level right now and have comparable contract situations, but Knight is younger and has more upside.
DesertDreams
Ballboy

Post#8 » by DesertDreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:42 am

If we are talking potential and contract, I agree, Brandon Knight :) ....If we are talking about immediate impact, production and experience for teams in win-now mode, I'd have to give the edge to Dragic.
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#9 » by b-ball forever » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:01 am

Knight has been putting up 18/5/4 on 56 TS% so far this year while leading the bucks to an impressive 31-23 record with a weak supporting cast. That's quite a bit better than Dragic's level of play this season. Knight also had a much better first game with us than Dragic's first game with the Heat.

I still consider them equal since Dragic wasn't in an ideal situation and had to share the court with IT and Bledsoe, but Knight is already a very good basketball player right now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:16 am

I don't know that we need to keep comparing Knight and Dragic. Knight has better numbers this year. Is he better right now? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing in the same role, probably not, but it's close. But on this team, going forward, he is the better fit. We are not going to contend for at least 2-3 years if everything goes right, and it would be nice to have players in their early or mid to late 20s when we start knocking on that door because to win a championship or two you need to be right there for quite some time to break through...it typically takes a team 3-4 times bowing out in the playoffs before breaking through. The super teams put together in one summer this past decade are kind of an anomaly historically.
DesertDreams
Ballboy

Post#11 » by DesertDreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:41 am

b-ball forever wrote:Knight has been putting up 18/5/4 on 56 TS% so far this year while leading the bucks to an impressive 31-23 record with a weak supporting cast. That's quite a bit better than Dragic's level of play this season. Knight also had a much better first game with us than Dragic's first game with the Heat.

I still consider them equal since Dragic wasn't in an ideal situation and had to share the court with IT and Bledsoe, but Knight is already a very good basketball player right now.

Numbers are great, they get you in the ball park, but so many subjective invariables that we won't even go into them.

I agree, for future, Knight, That's why I chimned in and defended him. But I'll stand firm, for right now, most true contenders would aim for Goran. Exerience is invaluable, that's why Miami put a package together for Goran. Agree to disagree.

@bw ...i think we're saying the same thing :) ....and no, we don't need to compare them, but it's sports, inevitably people will. :) :)
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#12 » by greekbuck34 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Hello Phoenix funs!

I watched your game last night. I was one of those who couldn't stand Knight as a true PG for the Bucks and yesterday I wanted to see how he would perform for your team.

I was happy to see that he didn't have the same role with the one he had as a Buck. He was mostly as SG with complete freedom when he had the ball on his hands as he is meant to be. If you keep playing him like that he will fit in very well. He won't have the same numbers ofcourse but he won't be as negative to his teammates as when he was a Buck. The problem is that he doesn't want to do anything with that role and his main dream is to become a pure PG no matter his complete lack of vision. From what I ve seen yesterday though Bledsoe is by faaaar the best PG on your team. If you manage to convice him to play like that you will be fine but if don't or if you start him as a PG you will have a problem. As you've already seen last night he can create simple pick'n pop situations but in everything else he will either try to finish by himself(mostly against good defense) or he will turn over the ball 70% of the time. He threw an easy basic lob last night and Goodwin(I think) barely manage to catch the ball and lay it in..

I still can't understand why he didn't play in clutch time. Knight doesn't has to prove that he is an excellent closer anymore...

Continuing I think his defense was a bit overated in the Bucks. When his opponent went by himself (2/3 times) the inhumanly length of his previews teammates was covering him. Only him and Goodwin had double digit minus in +/- rating(-12) when most of your rest of your team were positive in a game you lost. He is not negative, he tries a lot but he isn't something special in this part of the game.

In the end Knight in yesterday's role gives on your team:

-extra explosiveness( He has to be your fastest player right now in a guardline already quick)
-a capable closer
-an amazing shooter ( I think he will prove to be your most talented one)
-extra competition in your guardline
-unpredictable offence with many guards who can create havoc by themselves (even if not productive at all times)

Anyway I think both teams would end up winners from this trade. My team manage to win again in bad day without MCW and Plumlee showing that we won't have a problem finding clutch plays when we need them.

Good luck reaching the 8th spot again!

PS: When I said that he will not have the same numbers anymore I meant that he won't be as comfortable shooting the ball or the ball won't pass by him at all times. As you have seen last night when he had back to back buckets he start throwing 3 after 3 without even attempting pnrs or anything but after his second failed attempt he hesitated to throw another. With the Bucks he wouldn't stop until he got hot again.

Btw sorry for my english. I am from Greece... :)
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#13 » by rsavaj » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:11 pm

DesertDreams wrote:I think he may be our best guard. Definitely our best point guard.

The biggest knock on Knight is that he isn't in any way, shape or form a point guard. Doesn't have those floor general instincts. Poor decision-maker with the ball.

I honestly think he's gonna be a pretty great 2 guard, but we've committed to Bledsoe as our point guard.
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#14 » by In Len We Trust » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Brandon Knight is the textbook definition of a combo guard, and a talented one at that. That automatically makes him a perfect fit for a duo-point guard offense, if we run it correctly in a similar way to last year. Bledsoe just needs to polish his offensive game. He doesn't need to become a great 3 point shooter, but he needs to develop a consistent mid range shot. I think that Archie Goodwin is already a nice combo guard as well and he will of course continue to improve.

Next year, I would like to see us continue our innovation at the guard positions. I think it would be awesome if we started Bled and Knight, and have at least 1 of them on the floor for all 48 minutes. Archie would be the first guard off the bench, and whether he comes in for Knight or Bledsoe the Suns could still run a combo guard offense. Archie and Knight or Archie and Bledsoe playing 50/50 duo PG attack would be great IMO. Goodwin has really improved his handles and I think he's ready for this. Also, our backcourt defense would be nice. Reggie Bullock would also fill in for 10-15 minutes a game as a nice 3 and D SG.

My favorite part of this guard rotation is we have a backcourt for everything. We can go small with Bled and Knight, big with Archie and Bullock, athletic with Bledsoe and Goodwin, good shooting with Knight and Bullock, and best of all we will have good defense from any combination of those players.

While Dragic is elite as a PG in the right system, what we have now is best for the team moving forward. McDonough knocked it out of the park IMO and we will see it pay off in the near future. We just need Len to continue to improve (he will), an upgrade at SF, and better defense and rebounding from the PF position and we are well on our way. Oh yeah, and better coaching.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#15 » by Bogyo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 pm

What do you guys think, what will it take to re-sign him in the offseason? A Bledsoe-like contract?
DesertDreams
Ballboy

Post#16 » by DesertDreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Considering the circumstances, it was a good debut. He'll probably need a string of them to win much of the disgruntled Suns fan base over (as evidence by size of Brandon's welcome thread in which only a few of us chimned in to his defense).

I actually think he could be a slightly better PG than Bledsoe. Bledsoe can be so erratic with his passing at times. I don't mind a creative point guard forcing the issue every now and then, but Bledsoe is good for a couple of errand passes that are simply routine cross court passes per game....kind of mind blowing for a guy of his calibur/skill set.

Thanks for the info Greekbuck and good luck to you the rest of the seaon!

*I'm guessing your too young to remember Manuel Raga? He played for Varese but had a home in Corfu....had opportunities to come to the NBA, but he said being a star in Varese and living in Corfu was heaven. Never stepped foot on an NBA Court.
Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#17 » by Ryu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

DesertDreams wrote:*I'm guessing your too young to remember Manuel Raga? He played for Varese but had a home in Corfu....had opportunities to come to the NBA, but he said being a star in Varese and living in Corfu was heaven. Never stepped foot on an NBA Court.

I don`t know who that Raga guy is but Corfu island is amazing indeed. I cannot wait to spend my vacation there this summer.

Sorry for the off topic.
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#18 » by In Len We Trust » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Bogyo wrote:What do you guys think, what will it take to re-sign him in the offseason? A Bledsoe-like contract?

14-16 per year.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#19 » by saintEscaton » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 pm

I think Knight still needs to ease into playing off the ball as an SG and needs to work on his shot selection. But he's far too good of a shooter to be a chucker
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#20 » by Ryu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:33 pm

In Len We Trust wrote:
Bogyo wrote:What do you guys think, what will it take to re-sign him in the offseason? A Bledsoe-like contract?

14-16 per year.

No way. More like 12-13 per year.

Return to Phoenix Suns