ImageImageImage

Devin Booker

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

When will Booker hit 8,000 career points?

5th season
56%
6th season
33%
7th season
11%

Total votes: 36

jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: DEVIN BOOKER 

Post#121 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Unless he just is horrible on defense, it is going to be hard to keep him off the court. He is so efficient. So far this year:

18-34 from the field (53%), and 8-10 from 3 (80% :o ). I know its a small sample size, but we have been saying that for a while. He doesn't shoot alot, but he hardly ever misses. A guy like that stretches the floor without even shooting.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,658

Post#122 » by Qwigglez » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:01 pm

It's gonna be tough to find time to play Bledsoe/Knight/Booker/Warren & then if Bogdon comes over this offseason too. If we're trading for a star one of these guys is probably getting shipped off along with em.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#123 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Qwigglez wrote:It's gonna be tough to find time to play Bledsoe/Knight/Booker/Warren & then if Bogdon comes over this offseason too. If we're trading for a star one of these guys is probably getting shipped off along with em.

It just depends on which star. We really have no idea how Bogdon is going to turn out. We thought Weems would make a better transition than he did. Many teams have a three guard rotation that gets the primary minutes. I am perfectly content with a Bledsoe/Knight/Booker combo. Warren is a 3 so I don't think he figures into that mix.
JS22
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#124 » by JS22 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:00 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:Unless he just is horrible on defense, it is going to be hard to keep him off the court. He is so efficient. So far this year:

18-34 from the field (53%), and 8-10 from 3 (80% :o ). I know its a small sample size, but we have been saying that for a while. He doesn't shoot alot, but he hardly ever misses. A guy like that stretches the floor without even shooting.

Not if Hornacek has any say. Apparently his extremely efficient 15 points in 16 minutes last night wasn't enough to get back on the floor after the halfway point of the 3rd.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#125 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:08 pm

JS22 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Unless he just is horrible on defense, it is going to be hard to keep him off the court. He is so efficient. So far this year:

Not if Hornacek has any say. Apparently his extremely efficient 15 points in 16 minutes last night wasn't enough to get back on the floor after the halfway point of the 3rd.

This is my main gripe with Hornacek. He seems to have an aversion to playing rookies, not matter how good they are. Warren last year and Booker this year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#126 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 am

Booker 7th in PER among rookies, and PER mostly favors bigs. He is actually the only guard in the top 12 (McConnell 13th and Russell 14th)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,625

Post#127 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:52 am

I've also noticed not long ago his TS% is tremendous for a shooter. This is a guard who has a higher TS% than WCS who basically just dunks everything.

Also I didn't know Jokic was a rookie. I thought he played last season....
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#128 » by SideSwipe » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:15 am

I have been noticing that Book has brought the ball up and mildly initiated the offense as well on a few possessions. It will be interesting if he can really improve his handle enough to do that consistently- everyone runs, anyone can initiate. His future looks very bright.
Grots
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#129 » by Grots » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:34 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Also I didn't know Jokic was a rookie. I thought he played last season....

The Nuggets have another young C named Nurkic.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#130 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:44 am

People on the general board are sleeping on this guy.

He's second to only KAT in WS/48 (kristaps is third) and he has a TS% that currently ranks around Korver, Curry and Durant.

Best rookie shooter I've seen. It could be a hot start, but he was considered the best pre-draft shooter.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#131 » by ATTL » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Booker is a phenomenal shooter, as a 19 year old he has a spot in the rotation and seems to have eliminated Weems and Archie from the rotaion.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#132 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:00 am

I saw this on the general board...
Stephen Curry Escaped the Path D'Angelo Russell is On

The Warriors have a stable foundation build around point guard Stephen Curry, who has blossomed into (arguably) the best basketball player on the planet. On the other hand, the Lakers are stuck in an awkward transitional phase where the young talent, touted as the future, struggles for power with an over-the-hill legend. Trapped in the middle of this is second overall pick, point guard D’Angelo Russell.

As a rookie, Curry had to deal with Don Nelson, who notoriously opposed playing rookies. Then once he retired, he handpicked Keith Smart to succeed him. Smart and Curry had issues and, though the latter would never call out his coach, it was evident Smart was only holding the future MVP back.

He would bench Curry in favor of Acie Law late in games, punishing his point guard for making mistakes.The promising young guard wasn’t getting the reps required for a player to develop. Smart was extra hard on Curry and, while he did it in hopes that he would improve, he only hindered his growth.

The Lakers are not going anywhere this year and it would take a miracle for them to do anything next year. But the Warriors didn’t do anything either until Curry’s fourth year. Developing point guards in the modern NBA is difficult when they have to go up against great players on a nightly basis. The Lakers aren’t going to have a Joe Lacob come save the franchise so the changes need to be made internally. Scott and Bryant need to understand the game is different than it was when they played and the state of the Lakers is in uncharted territory. Kobe can’t shoot them back into this one.

Link

I think we need to play Booker more and I know it's hard because Knight/Bledsoe are really playing elite basketball right now but I think we could/should start cutting into Tucker's playing time.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#133 » by thamadkant » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:02 am

Qwigglez wrote:I saw this on the general board...
Stephen Curry Escaped the Path D'Angelo Russell is On

The Warriors have a stable foundation build around point guard Stephen Curry, who has blossomed into (arguably) the best basketball player on the planet. On the other hand, the Lakers are stuck in an awkward transitional phase where the young talent, touted as the future, struggles for power with an over-the-hill legend. Trapped in the middle of this is second overall pick, point guard D’Angelo Russell.

As a rookie, Curry had to deal with Don Nelson, who notoriously opposed playing rookies. Then once he retired, he handpicked Keith Smart to succeed him. Smart and Curry had issues and, though the latter would never call out his coach, it was evident Smart was only holding the future MVP back.

He would bench Curry in favor of Acie Law late in games, punishing his point guard for making mistakes.The promising young guard wasn’t getting the reps required for a player to develop. Smart was extra hard on Curry and, while he did it in hopes that he would improve, he only hindered his growth.

The Lakers are not going anywhere this year and it would take a miracle for them to do anything next year. But the Warriors didn’t do anything either until Curry’s fourth year. Developing point guards in the modern NBA is difficult when they have to go up against great players on a nightly basis. The Lakers aren’t going to have a Joe Lacob come save the franchise so the changes need to be made internally. Scott and Bryant need to understand the game is different than it was when they played and the state of the Lakers is in uncharted territory. Kobe can’t shoot them back into this one.

Link

I think we need to play Booker more and I know it's hard because Knight/Bledsoe are really playing elite basketball right now but I think we could/should start cutting into Tucker's playing time.

I think this is applicable to Booker in 2017.... when he is stronger and not a kid anymore...

But, this is how I feel with Len and Goodwin.... both should be allowed to make mistakes and still be left on the floor to make up for it.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,625

Post#134 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 am

Grots wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Also I didn't know Jokic was a rookie. I thought he played last season....

The Nuggets have another young C named Nurkic.

D'oh! :banghead:

Thanks for correcting me
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#135 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:50 am

1UPZ wrote:

I think this is applicable to Booker in 2017.... when he is stronger and not a kid anymore...

But, this is how I feel with Len and Goodwin.... both should be allowed to make mistakes and still be left on the floor to make up for it.

Yeah I forgot to add to it. Feel like we need to do it with Warren/Len for sure. I think Goodwin will end up getting traded soon.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#136 » by LukasBMW » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:03 am

It's a shame that we didn't trade for Curry when he was struggling to find time in the rotation. :banghead:

Of all the rookies, I think I'd only rather have KAT, Okafor, and Pozingis is over Booker. He's going to be a steal.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#137 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 am

Booker didn't look that great tonight against the Warriors. He clanked a mid-range jumper and looked relatively slow driving to the basket. It doesn't concern me though as he can easily improve, and I'm just glad he's getting some experience going against the defending champs.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#138 » by RunDogGun » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:48 am

Qwigglez wrote:Booker didn't look that great tonight against the Warriors. He clanked a mid-range jumper and looked relatively slow driving to the basket. It doesn't concern me though as he can easily improve, and I'm just glad he's getting some experience going against the defending champs.

And a start against the Spurs. I think many should be impressed with Hornacek for not burying Booker on the bench like many thought he would.
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#139 » by seeingstars » Tue Dec 1, 2015 4:14 pm

Booker looks like a keeper. Good pick guys!
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#140 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Dec 1, 2015 5:56 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

Yeah I forgot to add to it. Feel like we need to do it with Warren/Len for sure. I think Goodwin will end up getting traded soon.

Its happening with Warren. He is getting more minutes right now than PJ, and he doesn't seem to get pulled for little things--although Warren doesn't make alot of egregious mistakes. Len looks like he just needs time. He has gotten more minutes on a regular basis, but failed to produce. He is just going to develop slower, its not like he is being held back. He will get more minutes with Chandler out. Its a tricky thing. Some players need more time, and some players need the pressure off. Warren is the first, Len is the second.

Booker is so young, I do think his body might need to develop more just to avoid injury.

Return to Phoenix Suns