No
45%

Total votes: 58

Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Re: Are the Suns a treadmill team? 

Post#201 » by Moochthemonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 am

Scutt wrote:^ I don't want the Suns to tank or bottom out at this point. They have already committed themselves to trying to compete, by locking up Bledsoe, Knight, and Chandler. I was just reiterating the point that picking 13th and 14th every year in the draft significantly decreases your chances at landing a star that you can build around, the one thing the Suns really need. If I had my choice in rebuilding a team in a smaller market like Phoenix, I would build from the draft, but its obvious the Suns feel like they can do what Houston did. So far, they have struck out on all their opportunities to bring in a disgruntled star though.

I did not imply that Len, Warren, and Goodwin do not have all-star potential. All I said was the Suns have no all-stars and that after the top 10, the chances of drafting one goes down considerably. Obviously, stars do slip once in awhile, and being a Suns fan, I have got my fingers crossed that one of Warren, Booker, or Goodwin defy the odds, but I am realistic too. I have not seen enough of Booker, and Goodwin and Warren both have serious holes in their games still. I think Alex Len has a ton of potential, as long as he can stay healthy. Again, I want to see those guys play. The Suns drafted them, so I want them to do well, but I know the odds are against them, in terms of becoming all stars. Especially if they are going to lose minutes to veterans because getting the 8th seed is more important to the front office, than their development is.

Thank you for clarifying your stance.

One thing I will say that these "odds" have much to do with media hype based projected solely from their college and/or international career. Many players defy the odds, while many players do not live up to their hype.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#202 » by Phystic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:I think our 2010, 2011, and 2012 off seasons we were making tread mill type of moves. Then in 2013 we hopped off the treadmill to embrace a full rebuild, bringing in a rookie coach, GM and flipping our vets for picks. Those were not treadmill moves. Then in the 2014 off season we let another vet go and signed a younger player, which is a rebuilding move. Too many, including me, the IT signing was a mistake, and it hurt us in multiple ways. In 2015, we trade yet ANOTHER vet (Dragic) and replaced him with a younger player (Knight), coming off his rookie contract, and signed ANOTHER player coming off his rookie contract (Telly). With all these younger players, knowing our team was missing a vocal leader, we brought in a classy veteran leader (Chandler) at a position where we needed depth.

Now I think there is a good chance that we end up yet again picking in around the same spot next year even though I expect our record to improve, so one could definitely view that as being on the treadmill and not going anywhere, yet as long as we improve and continue to add more young talent, we really mostly only have young talent that will probably peak in 4-6 years.

I understand that signing Tyson Chandler can easily be viewed as a treadmill type move, if one didn't understand the vast need for leadership and maturity the team needed, but pretty much every other signing we have made in the last two years has been trading out older guys for younger guys with upside.

Treadmill imo is when you are signing and starting a bunch of 30 year old vets to try and make the playoffs in an ill fated attempt to be relevant, with no real long term plan. I think it has probably been difficult to work with Sarver, as he makes it such a huge priority to just make the playoffs, but given those circumstances, I think McD has made pretty good to really good moves, other than the IT and possibly Tolliver signings.

But even if you look at the IT signing in the grand scheme of things, it basically allowed us to move on from Goran to go younger, which is the opposite of treadmill. I hated to see Goran go, but keeping him is definitely more of a treadmill move than getting two picks and signing a younger guy with upside to replace him. And then the IT signing also netted us a first round pick.

So even though signing IT became kind of a nightmare to chemistry and for Dragic, the result is adding three first rounders and signing a younger near all star as the replacement.

So I can't view too much of what has gone on as treadmill type moves. Every move other than Chandler is a rebuild move, and it is clear why we needed a guy like Chandler who will play a big part in the growth of our young team.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of your post but I do , however, slightly disagree with the definition of treadmill team. I guess I look at it more as a team that is neither progressing to regressing; just staying exactly where you are.

I disagree that the IT signing was bad, infact I think it was a great signing. I do think how the lineup was handled was a problem. Dragic didn't seem to care about the drop in stats/minutes it seemed he didn't like being relegated to an off the ball PG spot up shooter. Which I COMPLETELY agree with. Bledsoe is not a true PG and Thomas is better as a scoring off the ball player. But that doesn't really matter now.

I agree the Chandler signing gives us something we sorely lacked the last few seasons. But I don't think locking up that much cap room for a player that plays the same position as a player we view as a future cornerstone(Len). Chandler is a fantastic player and veteran. And he will hopefully impart some of that on our young players. And I understand that signing was probably somewhat motivated by it impacting LMA's decision. I really don't mind it. But I don't see how it's not a treadmill move. It's not going to put us over the edge and into a top 4 contention type of spot. And it doesn't allow us to slip behind teams like the Kings, Wolves, Pelicans, etc.

I like both of our guards but I honestly am not sure if either is worth building around. I really like Warren and I think Goodwin could become a very solid role player(like a Danny Green type of impact player). I want to see how Keiff does without Marcus in his ear. A healthy season under Len's belt would be nice to see. And Booker looks like he could develop into our starting SG. I don't like the term tank when it's done with purpose. But whatever you want to call it, I'd like to see how team REALLY build for the future. I realize we were all caught off guard when we were supposed to suck but came out and nearly won 50 games. But we NEED to suck. It's incredibly difficult to build a team these days without getting a couple of top picks.

I love Hornacek(assuming his backbone comes back to him) and I really like what McD and Babby(shocker) have been doing. Either way, as always, I will support this team.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#203 » by Phystic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:13 am

NavLDO wrote:
How many top 10 picks would you like the Suns to make. We have one on our roster already--I guess that's not enough. We should get 5 top 10 picks, right? Then we are assured of winning like Minnesota and Philly, right? I mean, it's simple, because the 30% chance or so of that pick becoming an All-Star will ensure us of a title. Let's tank year after year until we get that championship winner. Heck, if it's that easy, why doesn't every team do it? Just out of curiosity, how many Top 10 picks did we make to get into the '93 Finals, exactly? Ed Pinckney, 10th-'85; William Bedford, 6th-'86; Armon Gilliam, 2nd-'87; Tim Perry, 7th-88--All critical pieces to that run...oh, wait, no, they weren't? You mean Dan Majerle, drafted 14th and Cedric Ceballos, drafted 48th, and guys we traded for in KJ and Barkley , and some others got us there? It's not all where you draft, but how the team is managed, and you and others have given up hope after 2 seasons, already. I can't believe we didn't challenge for the NBA Championship last season--how ridiculous, let's fire them all!!

Not that it changes much but Perry was a part of the trade to get Barkley, so doesn't totally fit your point.

But anyway, KJ was drafted 7th overall, Barkley drafted 5th overall and Tom Chambers was drafted 8th. I realized we didn't draft them, but it does kind of support the idea that top 10 picks are the way to build teams.

Your point may be valid but it's pretty easy to cherry pick a team that wasn't built directly because of draft picks. I mean, let's be real here, most teams are built/rebuild because of draft picks. Whether that means they draft a star/superstar, or they trade a top pick for an established star, draft a high upside player and trade them for more established players or whatever. Draft picks are the catalyst more often than not. There are exceptions of course. There are teams like the Spurs that have great scouts and draft guys like Parker and Ginobli deep in drafts. I'm sure that's why they have championships and not Tim Duncan and David Robinson(or even Sean Elliott). Warriors with Curry(Thompson was 11th), Mavericks with Dirk. Lakers with Kobe. Heat with Wade(first ring, and then yet Lebron/Bosh). Celtics with Pierce(traded Al Jefferson and a 5th pick(jeff green) for Ray and KG). Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and Grant. Those are just champions how about Thunder with Westbrook, Durant and Harden. Magic with Howard.

There are examples of everything. I think we can all agree on most teams initiate the turn around because of the draft. Yes there are teams that break that mold whether they don't rely on top picks or just suck at drafting.

Hope this made sense. I'm too lazy to proofread it :)
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#204 » by NavLDO » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Phystic wrote:
NavLDO wrote:
How many top 10 picks would you like the Suns to make. We have one on our roster already--I guess that's not enough. We should get 5 top 10 picks, right? Then we are assured of winning like Minnesota and Philly, right? I mean, it's simple, because the 30% chance or so of that pick becoming an All-Star will ensure us of a title. Let's tank year after year until we get that championship winner. Heck, if it's that easy, why doesn't every team do it? Just out of curiosity, how many Top 10 picks did we make to get into the '93 Finals, exactly? Ed Pinckney, 10th-'85; William Bedford, 6th-'86; Armon Gilliam, 2nd-'87; Tim Perry, 7th-88--All critical pieces to that run...oh, wait, no, they weren't? You mean Dan Majerle, drafted 14th and Cedric Ceballos, drafted 48th, and guys we traded for in KJ and Barkley , and some others got us there? It's not all where you draft, but how the team is managed, and you and others have given up hope after 2 seasons, already. I can't believe we didn't challenge for the NBA Championship last season--how ridiculous, let's fire them all!!

Not that it changes much but Perry was a part of the trade to get Barkley, so doesn't totally fit your point.

But anyway, KJ was drafted 7th overall, Barkley drafted 5th overall and Tom Chambers was drafted 8th. I realized we didn't draft them, but it does kind of support the idea that top 10 picks are the way to build teams.

Your point may be valid but it's pretty easy to cherry pick a team that wasn't built directly because of draft picks. I mean, let's be real here, most teams are built/rebuild because of draft picks. Whether that means they draft a star/superstar, or they trade a top pick for an established star, draft a high upside player and trade them for more established players or whatever. Draft picks are the catalyst more often than not. There are exceptions of course. There are teams like the Spurs that have great scouts and draft guys like Parker and Ginobli deep in drafts. I'm sure that's why they have championships and not Tim Duncan and David Robinson(or even Sean Elliott). Warriors with Curry(Thompson was 11th), Mavericks with Dirk. Lakers with Kobe. Heat with Wade(first ring, and then yet Lebron/Bosh). Celtics with Pierce(traded Al Jefferson and a 5th pick(jeff green) for Ray and KG). Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and Grant. Those are just champions how about Thunder with Westbrook, Durant and Harden. Magic with Howard.

There are examples of everything. I think we can all agree on most teams initiate the turn around because of the draft. Yes there are teams that break that mold whether they don't rely on top picks or just suck at drafting.

Hope this made sense. I'm too lazy to proofread it :)

Yep, made sense. My point is not that most championship teams don't have top 5 picked players. My point is that we don't 'tank' to acquire these pieces.

For example--Just because Baccarat has higher odds of winning than Roulette, doesn't mean you have a good chance of winning by playing Baccarat--the odds are still poor. Tanking doesn't guarantee you a top 5 pick, and a top 5 pick don't guarantee you a championship-that's what I'm saying. That '93 Suns team was built with various methods of FA, Trades, and Draft picks.

Let McD have a chance to build the team, however he sees is the best way--and for crying out loud, give him more than two seasons to do it--that's what I'm saying. Well, that, and the fact that we drafted pick 14 last year an pick 13 this year, doesn't make the Suns a treadmill team--hell, we drafted a top 5 pick just over two years ago. So I fundamentally disagree with the notion that this I a treadmill team, because the evidence being provided to make that determination is faulty.

And THAT is my overall point.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#205 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Phystic wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with most of your post but I do , however, slightly disagree with the definition of treadmill team. I guess I look at it more as a team that is neither progressing to regressing; just staying exactly where you are.

I disagree that the IT signing was bad, infact I think it was a great signing. I do think how the lineup was handled was a problem. Dragic didn't seem to care about the drop in stats/minutes it seemed he didn't like being relegated to an off the ball PG spot up shooter. Which I COMPLETELY agree with. Bledsoe is not a true PG and Thomas is better as a scoring off the ball player. But that doesn't really matter now.

I agree the Chandler signing gives us something we sorely lacked the last few seasons. But I don't think locking up that much cap room for a player that plays the same position as a player we view as a future cornerstone(Len). Chandler is a fantastic player and veteran. And he will hopefully impart some of that on our young players. And I understand that signing was probably somewhat motivated by it impacting LMA's decision. I really don't mind it. But I don't see how it's not a treadmill move. It's not going to put us over the edge and into a top 4 contention type of spot. And it doesn't allow us to slip behind teams like the Kings, Wolves, Pelicans, etc.

I like both of our guards but I honestly am not sure if either is worth building around. I really like Warren and I think Goodwin could become a very solid role player(like a Danny Green type of impact player). I want to see how Keiff does without Marcus in his ear. A healthy season under Len's belt would be nice to see. And Booker looks like he could develop into our starting SG. I don't like the term tank when it's done with purpose. But whatever you want to call it, I'd like to see how team REALLY build for the future. I realize we were all caught off guard when we were supposed to suck but came out and nearly won 50 games. But we NEED to suck. It's incredibly difficult to build a team these days without getting a couple of top picks.

I love Hornacek(assuming his backbone comes back to him) and I really like what McD and Babby(shocker) have been doing. Either way, as always, I will support this team.

I don't necessarily agree with most of your post either, but in a vacuum, signing Tyson appears to be a treadmill type move, but I think it was made more to help our young guys grow and learn to be professionals and to have a leader than to strive to be the 8th seed year in and year out. The hope is that he mentors Len to grow into a solid starter or more.

I do agree that Bledsoe and Knight are not who you want to "build around" as if they are the stars. I think we still hope to sign that star to bring everything together, and we gave it a hell of a shot in the offseason. Obviously the fact that we went after Aldridge and made him have second thoughts about his decision to join the Spurs means we made a great pitch.

Thomas obviously played well for us and netting a pick for signing him worked out well, and the fact it made Dragic upset which ended up netting us two more picks is good, ignoring how ugly last season was to watch. In hindsight a negative situation turned into some positive assets, though someone somewhere made some mistakes whether it was a lack of clear communication or the FO and coach not being on the same page, or whatever, but I can't pretend to know the details and it's water under the bridge now.

I don't know that signing Aldridge would have vaulted us into the top four but we would have been close, so I don't think the actions taken by the office, knowing we were going after Aldridge and the plan was to hopefully add him, makes us a team trying to solely make treadmill type moves.
NavLDO

Post#206 » by NavLDO » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Phystic wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with most of your post but I do , however, slightly disagree with the definition of treadmill team. I guess I look at it more as a team that is neither progressing to regressing; just staying exactly where you are.

I agree the Chandler signing gives us something we sorely lacked the last few seasons. But I don't think locking up that much cap room for a player that plays the same position as a player we view as a future cornerstone(Len). Chandler is a fantastic player and veteran. And he will hopefully impart some of that on our young players. And I understand that signing was probably somewhat motivated by it impacting LMA's decision. I really don't mind it. But I don't see how it's not a treadmill move. It's not going to put us over the edge and into a top 4 contention type of spot. And it doesn't allow us to slip behind teams like the Kings, Wolves, Pelicans, etc. -- So, if we go from the 10th seed to the 7th seed, we're 'treadmilling'? We have to go straight to a top 4 seed to not be considered treadmilling? Why is 'top 4' the standard of not being a treadmill team. What if we go from 39 wins to 54 wins and the 6th seed--is that 'treadmilling'?

I don't necessarily agree with most of your post either, but in a vacuum, signing Tyson appears to be a treadmill type move, but I think it was made more to help our young guys grow and learn to be professionals and to have a leader than to strive to be the 8th seed year in and year out. The hope is that he mentors Len to grow into a solid starter or more. -- Last season we started Plumlee/2nd-season-Len as our top 2 Centers. This season it's Chander/3rd-season-Len, or, in other words, a MUCH better duo. Sorry, but that is NOT 'treadmilling'. I agree with your sentiment.

I do agree that Bledsoe and Knight are not who you want to "build around" as if they are the stars. I think we still hope to sign that star to bring everything together, and we gave it a hell of a shot in the offseason. Obviously the fact that we went after Aldridge and made him have second thoughts about his decision to join the Spurs means we made a great pitch.

Thomas obviously played well for us and netting a pick for signing him worked out well, and the fact it made Dragic upset which ended up netting us two more picks is good, ignoring how ugly last season was to watch. In hindsight a negative situation turned into some positive assets, though someone somewhere made some mistakes whether it was a lack of clear communication or the FO and coach not being on the same page, or whatever, but I can't pretend to know the details and it's water under the bridge now.

I don't know that signing Aldridge would have vaulted us into the top four but we would have been close -- and it doesn't matter, IMO, it would've shown improvement. But let's really look at it:

LMA --
2010-11 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2013-14 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2014-15 NBA All-NBA (2nd)

Chandler --
2010-11 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2011-12 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2011-12 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2012-13 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

And Aldridge is a whopping 2years 9months younger, but had we signed LMA, we wouldn't be 'treadmilling' according to those who think we are, but signing Chandler, who's had his best seasons over the past three or so years, is 'treadmilling', because he's 'too old'.

...so I don't think the actions taken by the office, knowing we were going after Aldridge and the plan was to hopefully add him, makes us a team trying to solely make treadmill type moves.

It just amazes me, the reasoning behind the those who feel the Suns are 'treadmilling'--it's all about top 5 draft position, or being a top 4 seed--anything in between is considered 'treadmilling'.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,176

Post#207 » by Frank Lee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 pm

NavLDO wrote:.......

Let McD have a chance to build the team, however he sees is the best way--and for crying out loud, give him more than two seasons to do it--that's what I'm saying. ......

Last I checked the 'Suns' actually go back farther than 2 seasons. We have been mediocre for 5 yrs running, with really just one season where we exceeded expectations. Argue/discuss all the adjustments needed/done....I doubt we are a .500 team this yr.

Can McDuh pull us off the treadmill ? Looked like may be so, until last yr. Now its back to square one.
What ? Me Worry ?
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#208 » by Phystic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 am

NavLDO wrote:

Yep, made sense. My point is not that most championship teams don't have top 5 picked players. My point is that we don't 'tank' to acquire these pieces.

For example--Just because Baccarat has higher odds of winning than Roulette, doesn't mean you have a good chance of winning by playing Baccarat--the odds are still poor. Tanking doesn't guarantee you a top 5 pick, and a top 5 pick don't guarantee you a championship-that's what I'm saying. That '93 Suns team was built with various methods of FA, Trades, and Draft picks.

Let McD have a chance to build the team, however he sees is the best way--and for crying out loud, give him more than two seasons to do it--that's what I'm saying. Well, that, and the fact that we drafted pick 14 last year an pick 13 this year, doesn't make the Suns a treadmill team--hell, we drafted a top 5 pick just over two years ago. So I fundamentally disagree with the notion that this I a treadmill team, because the evidence being provided to make that determination is faulty.

Though your example makes sense, I wouldn't say it's totally applicable here. First if I am understanding right he's saying top 10 pick not just top 5. And second using two different types of gambling based games as proof to how the draft isn't a guarantee is like apples and oranges. There are predetermined odds in gambling. In the draft it is completely dependent on the player. Like you said yourself that is why you can draft a potentially good/great player outside of the lottery. However, the likelihood of getting an all-star player is far higher in the top 10.

The logic is the Suns are in desperate need of a focal point. A sun in our solar system(see what I did there?) if you will. We have some nice complementary pieces and some nice young pieces. But we do not have that go to player. And as of right now, there aren't many options. So either we sit here for years in hopes of a disgruntled star being made available or we attempt to draft our own star and build around him.

Again, I agree it's not a guarantee. And there are examples of it working out poorly for some teams. But I would say history has shown us that it is a completely fair and viable way of building/rebuilding a team. If anything it helps the effort to trade for an established player. Getting a top(ish) pick either A) gives us potentially high star talent on a cheap rookie deal or B) gives us a player with "potential" which can be offered in a trade for an established player.

I love what McD is doing/has done. I'm not saying that this is the path we should take necessarily. What I'm saying is I think the Suns FO got caught up in that surprised year in 13-14 and now think we are a couple of moves away. Chandler signing, trading away the Lakers pick, hell even trading Dragic you could argue(though I wouldn't, he forced our hand). I'm still unsure of what the definition of a treadmill team is, we haven't gotten better or worse in the standings.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#209 » by Phystic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 am

bwgood77 wrote:I don't necessarily agree with most of your post either, but in a vacuum, signing Tyson appears to be a treadmill type move, but I think it was made more to help our young guys grow and learn to be professionals and to have a leader than to strive to be the 8th seed year in and year out. The hope is that he mentors Len to grow into a solid starter or more.

I don't know that signing Aldridge would have vaulted us into the top four but we would have been close, so I don't think the actions taken by the office, knowing we were going after Aldridge and the plan was to hopefully add him, makes us a team trying to solely make treadmill type moves.

Well that's the story the Suns organization is spinning after missing out on LMA. I'm not so sure they would sign Chandler(at least to that contract) if they knew we weren't getting LMA. But that's conjecture. I agree Chandler can, and probably will, bring some veteran leadership and toughness to our team. I'm just not sure it was the best way to go about it. I can't imagine we couldn't have gotten that elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. And I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of bringing in a guy that will probably be ahead of Len in the rotation. I'd much rather see us actually play our young players. Bledsoe, Knight, Warren, Keiff, Len. With Goodwin, and Booker off the bench as the main wing backups. If we win, great, if we don't great. But it gives them minutes together. It gives them real game experience.

Like I said in my other post, I like our team. I think we have some really nice complimentary pieces. But we need that star. And I'm not sure the star players look at our team/franchise as a good fit at the moment. Sure media said it was down to us and LMA. I'm actually curious if LMA(or agent) came out and said anything like that. I mean we've been linked to Lebron and LMA. We were loosely in the running for Love and Bosh(at least rumored). But the bottom line is they didn't come here. I don't really look at that as optimistic because we don't actually know how seriously they looked/thought about us.

I don't think we are trying to make treadmill moves. I think we are trying to make big moves. But that doesn't change the fact that we aren't accomplishing big moves and we are making treadmill moves. At least at the moment.

Again, I love and support this team no matter what. I like some of the players on our team. I'm just tired of seeing our team not play the young guys. I know every franchise does it, but we always talk a good game about our young players. But yet then never seem to make it into our rotation. Markeiff did. Not sure if that was out of necessity or if he broke the mold. Len probably would be getting major minutes if he could stay healthy and stop fouling. I don't care one way or the other about us tanking. But I want to see us develop our youth for a change. I honestly can't remember the last time, if ever, the Suns embraced a youth movement and gave the reigns over to young players
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#210 » by Phystic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 am

NavLDO wrote: -- So, if we go from the 10th seed to the 7th seed, we're 'treadmilling'? We have to go straight to a top 4 seed to not be considered treadmilling? Why is 'top 4' the standard of not being a treadmill team. What if we go from 39 wins to 54 wins and the 6th seed--is that 'treadmilling'?

-- Last season we started Plumlee/2nd-season-Len as our top 2 Centers. This season it's Chander/3rd-season-Len, or, in other words, a MUCH better duo. Sorry, but that is NOT 'treadmilling'. I agree with your sentiment.

I don't know that signing Aldridge would have vaulted us into the top four but we would have been close -- and it doesn't matter, IMO, it would've shown improvement. But let's really look at it:

LMA --

Chandler --

And Aldridge is a whopping 2years 9months younger, but had we signed LMA, we wouldn't be 'treadmilling' according to those who think we are, but signing Chandler, who's had his best seasons over the past three or so years, is 'treadmilling', because he's 'too old'.

...so I don't think the actions taken by the office, knowing we were going after Aldridge and the plan was to hopefully add him, makes us a team trying to solely make treadmill type moves.It just amazes me, the reasoning behind the those who feel the Suns are 'treadmilling'--it's all about top 5 draft position, or being a top 4 seed--anything in between is considered 'treadmilling'.

Jesus, you come off super aggressive.

First, I just randomly chose top 4. I've said multiple times my opinion of treadmilling is staying in the same spot. If we progress that's different. And I mean real progression not slipping into the 8th seed by a half game or because of other teams injuries. I mean us actually becoming a better team and winning games. Which we did not show last season.

What does Chandler being an upgrade have to do with being considered a treadmill team? Does Chandler legitimately make us better than any of the teams that were ahead of us last year? Portland obviously will plummet. Which would put us up to 8th using last seasons standings.But then Kings improved. Utah and Minnesota both improved(utah played very well second half of last year and Wiggins has another year and now KAT). If Lakers stay healthy they could be in the mix for a final playoff spot. Depending on how things work out(Kobe obviously, Russel transition to NBA and Randals recovery).

And you can't be so naive to think age is literally the only factor. Chandler has missed almost twice as many games in the same time span despite Aldridge playing almost 5 mpg more. Chandler has 14 years in the league to Aldridge's 9. Aldridge is a legitimate star and focal point of a team. Chandler is a role player, albeit a fantastic one. And you say Chandler's had his best 3 years the last 3 seasons but fail to say the same for Aldridge who has been a beast.

You really should take a breath and read what I'm saying. You are jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. Nobody said top 5 pick(don't remember what his name was but he was saying top 10 is more likely to land a star) and I didn't say anything other than top 4 seed was treadmilling. Stop embellishing my posts to try and fit your preconceived notion that I think we should tank and everything else is treadmilling. READ MY POST. I do not say that anywhere.
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#211 » by JTrain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:09 am

The FO completely gave up their ability to play the "we're stockpiling all these great assets/contracts" card when they did the Knight trade.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#212 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:41 am

Peeling it all back, everything we do makes sense when you read Sarver say he is too impatient to wait, McDonough say he wants to build a young core, and then you figure out who the boss is.

We're basically trying win now because of Sarver, McDonough has been promoted after agreeing to play his rebuilding games with fringe pieces while aiming to win now, and Hornacek is in there somewhere trying to save his job.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#213 » by NTB » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:07 am

We have a roster full of young players already. Why do you still want to see more young players? We needed veteran leadership and that's not about Sarver or anybody. It was the obvious need.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#214 » by JTrain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:45 am

If we win 54 games, I won't care if we are considered a treadmill team or not, because I'll have to deal with the monkeys flying outta my butt.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#215 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am

JTrain wrote:If we win 54 games, I won't care if we are considered a treadmill team or not, because I'll have to deal with the monkeys flying outta my butt.

I wish you the best of luck with all those monkeys you're gonna have. :D
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#216 » by Frank Lee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:48 am

JTrain wrote:If we win 54 games, I won't care if we are considered a treadmill team or not, because I'll have to deal with the monkeys flying outta my butt.

I would have snotted milk if it was breakfast time :lol:

I guessing Vegas will have us at o/u 38 wins.

PS.... found this at a wise guy site... not official, just an early projection as of 7/13

Phoenix Suns (42.5 LY), finished 39-43: Despite seeing their LaMarcus Aldridge pursuit come up short, the Suns did add Tyson Chandler and Mirza Teletovic. They’ll be able to play fast, but probably still have moves ahead of them with Markieff Morris and Eric Bledsoe both available via trade. Projected wins: 36.5
What ? Me Worry ?
NavLDO

Post#217 » by NavLDO » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
NavLDO wrote:.......

Let McD have a chance to build the team, however he sees is the best way--and for crying out loud, give him more than two seasons to do it--that's what I'm saying. ......

Last I checked the 'Suns' actually go back farther than 2 seasons. We have been mediocre for 5 yrs running, with really just one season where we exceeded expectations. Argue/discuss all the adjustments needed/done....I doubt we are a .500 team this yr.

Can McDuh pull us off the treadmill ? Looked like may be so, until last yr. Now its back to square one.

2015--39 - 43 .476
2014--48 - 34 .585
2013--25 - 57 .305

2012--33 - 33 .500
2011--40 - 42 .488

I don't consider those two years "mediocre". Would you consider the 2014 season mediocre if we were in the East and were the 5th seed? Not a single person here can honestly say that they would, but because we missed the playoffs by a game in the West, all of a sudden that's mediocrity?

And the 2013 season was even more so 'not mediocre'--we were flat out bad. So I argue that we have not been mediocre the past 5 years--only three, and they aren't even the most consecutive three--in fact, the most consecutive three seasons are quite different from each other, so no, we aren't on a treadmill--the ONLY treadmill we are on is the 'non-playoff treadmill', but that in and of itself is not treadmilling.
NavLDO

Post#218 » by NavLDO » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Phystic wrote:
NavLDO wrote:

Though your example makes sense, I wouldn't say it's totally applicable here. First if I am understanding right he's saying top 10 pick not just top 5. And second using two different types of gambling based games as proof to how the draft isn't a guarantee is like apples and oranges. There are predetermined odds in gambling. In the draft it is completely dependent on the player. Like you said yourself that is why you can draft a potentially good/great player outside of the lottery. However, the likelihood of getting an all-star player is far higher in the top 10.
-- but, my argument is, are your chances GOOD that you'll get an All-Star player in the top 10--No, they aren't. I believe you are missing my point. It's not about pre-determined odds, it's about odds in the general sense, and historically, while your chances are better in the top 10 than outside the top 10, doesn't make your odds of getting an All-Star good--predetermined or not. So pretend you are Sarver, McDonough, Horny...do you want to 'stink up the joint' for a couple of years in HOPES you MIGHT get an All-Star?

The logic is the Suns are in desperate need of a focal point. A sun in our solar system(see what I did there?) if you will. We have some nice complementary pieces and some nice young pieces. But we do not have that go to player. And as of right now, there aren't many options. So either we sit here for years in hopes of a disgruntled star being made available or we attempt to draft our own star and build around him.

Again, I agree it's not a guarantee. And there are examples of it working out poorly for some teams. But I would say history has shown us that it is a completely fair and viable way of building/rebuilding a team. If anything it helps the effort to trade for an established player. Getting a top(ish) pick either A) gives us potentially high star talent on a cheap rookie deal or B) gives us a player with "potential" which can be offered in a trade for an established player.

I love what McD is doing/has done. I'm not saying that this is the path we should take necessarily. What I'm saying is I think the Suns FO got caught up in that surprised year in 13-14 and now think we are a couple of moves away. Chandler signing, trading away the Lakers pick, hell even trading Dragic you could argue(though I wouldn't, he forced our hand). I'm still unsure of what the definition of a treadmill team is, we haven't gotten better or worse in the standings.

Overall, I don't think we are in disagreement, and I think you nailed it on the head--what is the definition of a treadmill team? I'd argue going from 25 wins to 48 wins in one season is NOT treadmilling, REGARDLESS of playoff position. And the top 2 Centers being Chandler and Len is MUCH better than Plumlee and Len, correct? So how is the signing of Chandler a 'treadmill' move? Because he's 32? So what, he's 'miles' better than Plumlee (see what I did there? :wink: ). And a 3rd year Len is also better than a 2nd year Len, more than likely. And were we to sign LMA, would that be treamilling? Nope, more than half of those that voted yes would've likely voted no JUST because there is an assumption that LMA would have a bigger impact on our playoff chances than Tyson does.

So, please, someone define what treadmilling is, because my definition is vastly different from others, I believe. People keep brining up the last 5 years of a playoff drought as proof. Then tell me, what was our roster 5 years ago--who was our GM and HC? Are they largely the same? No?? Than how is this treadmilling?
NavLDO

Post#219 » by NavLDO » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Phystic wrote:
NavLDO wrote: -- So, if we go from the 10th seed to the 7th seed, we're 'treadmilling'? We have to go straight to a top 4 seed to not be considered treadmilling? Why is 'top 4' the standard of not being a treadmill team. What if we go from 39 wins to 54 wins and the 6th seed--is that 'treadmilling'?

-- Last season we started Plumlee/2nd-season-Len as our top 2 Centers. This season it's Chander/3rd-season-Len, or, in other words, a MUCH better duo. Sorry, but that is NOT 'treadmilling'. I agree with your sentiment.

LMA --

Chandler --

...so I don't think the actions taken by the office, knowing we were going after Aldridge and the plan was to hopefully add him, makes us a team trying to solely make treadmill type moves.It just amazes me, the reasoning behind the those who feel the Suns are 'treadmilling'--it's all about top 5 draft position, or being a top 4 seed--anything in between is considered 'treadmilling'.

Jesus, you come off super aggressive. -- Sorry, where you see 'aggressive', I see 'passionate'--apologize that I came off that way! :oops:

First, I just randomly chose top 4. I've said multiple times my opinion of treadmilling is staying in the same spot. If we progress that's different. And I mean real progression not slipping into the 8th seed by a half game or because of other teams injuries. I mean us actually becoming a better team and winning games. Which we did not show last season.

What does Chandler being an upgrade have to do with being considered a treadmill team? Does Chandler legitimately make us better than any of the teams that were ahead of us last year? Portland obviously will plummet. Which would put us up to 8th using last seasons standings.But then Kings improved. Utah and Minnesota both improved(utah played very well second half of last year and Wiggins has another year and now KAT). If Lakers stay healthy they could be in the mix for a final playoff spot. Depending on how things work out(Kobe obviously, Russel transition to NBA and Randals recovery).

And you can't be so naive to think age is literally the only factor. Chandler has missed almost twice as many games in the same time span despite Aldridge playing almost 5 mpg more. Chandler has 14 years in the league to Aldridge's 9. Aldridge is a legitimate star and focal point of a team. Chandler is a role player, albeit a fantastic one. And you say Chandler's had his best 3 years the last 3 seasons but fail to say the same for Aldridge who has been a beast.

You really should take a breath and read what I'm saying. You are jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. Nobody said top 5 pick(don't remember what his name was but he was saying top 10 is more likely to land a star) and I didn't say anything other than top 4 seed was treadmilling. Stop embellishing my posts to try and fit your preconceived notion that I think we should tank and everything else is treadmilling. READ MY POST. I do not say that anywhere.

You didn't say top 4, but others have, so, sorry again. I'm not saying that you said any of those things--just those are the arguments I'm seeing about treadmilling. And again, didn't mean to come off as aggressive, it's just frustrating to keep reading these posts about us being 'mediocre' and 'drafting 13th/14th--and not just in this thread, in a lot of others, when fans refuse to see that the last 3 years have been vastly different--we went from 'terribad' to 'good' to 'mediocre'--yet the argument for treadmilling is "we're mediocre and have drafted late lotto 4 of the past 5 years, etc.", without actually looking at the overall scenario.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#220 » by Frank Lee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:59 pm

I don't consider those two years "mediocre". Would you consider the 2014 season mediocre if we were in the East and .....

2014 ? yes, we were a mediocre team that far exceeded its expectations. If it was so good, who is left from that squad ???? Where is that core ? You can't trumpet the success of that team with out acknowledging the dismantling of it. and come on.... the big 'IF we played in the east' rebuttal??? We don't.

We are not a good team yet. Good teams do not sack half their roster year in year out. Good teams have an established core. An established player to build around. We have neither. Oh wait... We now have Tyson Chandler our anointed savior and keeper of the Locker Room. We sure put a load on him. Now, the ultimate role player is our leader ?

I think this discussion morphed into an examination of McDuh's practices. Its clear, some here preach patience with him, while some critique results/actions. Frankly, last yr smacked the gold plating off him. No way did it turn out like they planned. Knee jerk reactionary moves is what I witnessed.... yet he gets praise from others for salvaging what he could from the mess.... that he created.

We really have very little to offer in trade. Marginal unproven talent. Some youngsters with promise. A few extra picks 2-3 yrs down the road. We can't trade for a superstar, can't out bid others to get one, and have yet to create a environment attractive to entice one. Drafting a superstar is unlikely as these kids take 3-4 years to develop.(thats another story) Nobody is clamoring to play for our coach, and from almost day one, our owner has been a prickly participant in the FO. Nobody comes out and says it, but there is a very good chance players look at our front office with a negative view.

It is unstable footing here in Phoenix.

I do acknowledge adding Chandler, Teletovic, and Weems is a positive. Getting rid of CusMo... a positive. We are instantly more likable. What ever we do with Keif and Tucker has yet to be seen, but I'd be surprised if they remain. We should be better, but there is multiple Ifs that have to happen for us to be anything more than a 9-10 seed.

Start jogging, at least the speed is set on low. .
What ? Me Worry ?

Return to Phoenix Suns