ImageImageImage

Fun fact: So far, Suns have 5th best starting lineup in the league

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Re: Fun fact: So far, Suns have 5th best starting lineup in the league 

Post#41 » by Revived » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:46 pm

To improve the bench, we ought to consider starting Leuer and just moving Kieff to the 2nd unit so he and Warren can pick up the bench slacking.

Sure it might drop our 5th best starting 5 ranking to like 8 or 9 but if it can bring our bench up dramatically, it's well worth it. I liked Kieff's role in '13-14 than I did in any other season.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,171

Post#42 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:41 pm

SF88 wrote:To improve the bench, we ought to consider starting Leuer and just moving Kieff to the 2nd unit so he and Warren can pick up the bench slacking.

Sure it might drop our 5th best starting 5 ranking to like 8 or 9 but if it can bring our bench up dramatically, it's well worth it. I liked Kieff's role in '13-14 than I did in any other season.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. TJ scores well, but he's more of an off-ball scorer like Marion was, relying on getting to open spots on the floor and then getting a pass. Kieff can be an initiator on offense from the mid-post and draw the attention of the defense, opening up those lanes for TJ.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#43 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:57 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
SF88 wrote:To improve the bench, we ought to consider starting Leuer and just moving Kieff to the 2nd unit so he and Warren can pick up the bench slacking.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. TJ scores well, but he's more of an off-ball scorer like Marion was, relying on getting to open spots on the floor and then getting a pass. Kieff can be an initiator on offense from the mid-post and draw the attention of the defense, opening up those lanes for TJ.

I doubt it happens long term but right now would be the best time to try it since Kieff is coming back from injury...easy to explain to him yet also might put some extra fire into him to prove himself. A bad start plus moving to the bench would likely motivate him.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#44 » by Revived » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:10 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:

Yup. Kieff used to be a really good passer so if he can get that back, makes even more sense to use him in the 2nd unit. Play through him (think Clippers with Griffin when CP3 misses games), he will probably be better than most or all bench big men in the NBA.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#45 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm

This is important too...Knight has been better than expected defending shooting guards.
Knight, a career point guard, is sharing the playmaking duties offensively with Eric Bledsoe but matching up with opposing off-guards during most of his floor time. In the Suns’ first nine games, the starters whom Knight guarded have averaged 11.4 points on 38.8 percent shooting.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2015/11/14/suns-guard-brandon-knight-shifts-defense-off-guards/75805004/
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#46 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 pm

There is just not enough front line offense with Leuer and PJ at the starting forward positions. If you start Leuer you would also have to start Warren to get more offense, but so far Warren plays better with Knight running the point than with Bledsoe running the point. Its kind of dicey.

Right now, its probably best to start Kieff, but have at consistent second unit that would inclued Leuer, Warren Knight, Len and Weems or Booker.

This team is still building its chemistry.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#47 » by Wannabe MEP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:02 am

So, the Suns starters are now 9th best of the 30 most-used units — not a perfect mapping to “starters”, but close enough. That’s definitely good enough to be the starting unit of an elite team.

Compare to the dubs most-used unit:

• Curry-Klay-Barnes-Green-Ezeli . . . +3.4
  • Bledsoe-BK-Tucker-Kieff-Chandler . . . +10.3
But then take a look at each team’s 5 most-used units:

1. Every Warriors unit is at least a slight +.
  2. It’s not the Warriors starters, per se. It’s their Curry-Klay-Barnes-Iggy-Green unit that’s destroying everyone. (Ya know, the crew that won the finals last year…and just destroyed the Clips last night. They were down 10 with 5:41 to go in the 4th last night. Outscored ‘em 25–8 the rest of the way.)
  3. The Suns are just sorta...random. Some combos work; some don't. Not enough of a consistent pattern to it yet. Which makes sense given the way this team has been patched together on the fly.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#48 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am

Los Soles wrote:So, the Suns starters are now 9th best of the 30 most-used units — not a perfect mapping to “starters”, but close enough. That’s definitely good enough to be the starting unit of an elite team.

Compare to the dubs most-used unit:

• Curry-Klay-Barnes-Green-Ezeli . . . +3.4
  • Bledsoe-BK-Tucker-Kieff-Chandler . . . +10.3
But then take a look at each team’s 5 most-used units:

1. Every Warriors unit is at least a slight +.
  2. It’s not the Warriors starters, per se. It’s their Curry-Klay-Barnes-Iggy-Green unit that’s destroying everyone. (Ya know, the crew that won the finals last year…and just destroyed the Clips last night. They were down 10 with 5:41 to go in the 4th last night. Outscored ‘em 25–8 the rest of the way.)
  3. The Suns are just sorta...random. Some combos work; some don't. Not enough of a consistent pattern to it yet. Which makes sense given the way this team has been patched together on the fly.

So the Knight/Telly/Goodwin/Warren and Len unit is actually the best from a net rating standpoint, albeit on only 20 minutes. I think eventually going with Knight, Booker, Warren, Leuer and Len could be good.

I really wish they would stagger Bledsoe and Knight a little more so one is almost always on the floor. They could each play with Booker some, or maybe Goodwin a little...but I'd rather see a little less of Price, even though he's played mostly well. I wish Weems has showed us more, but I guess the plus side is that Booker is getting more minutes. I have a feeling, with a little time though, Weems would probably add more value to our team than Archie does.

Return to Phoenix Suns