ImageImageImage

Who would you like as our next head coach? (Poll updated - Top 3 choices or less)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who would you prefer be our coach next season? Top three choices (or less if you want)

Scott Brooks
8%
Mike D'Antoni
20%
Mark Jackson
No votes
Kevin Johnson
8%
George Karl
4%
Steve Nash
4%
Tom Thibodeau
20%
Jeff Van Gundy
8%
Luke Walton
16%
Earl Watson
12%

Total votes: 25

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,111

Re: If we have a new coach next season, who would you like it to be? 

Post#41 » by Revived » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Easily Walton.
You are missing Tyronn Lue in that list.

What is Tyronn Lue's pedigree?

He's a guy that has experience being an assistant on some very good teams and players usually rave about him. He was on the Celtics finals team and then Clippers and Cavs wanted him so badly that they made him the highest paid assistant in the NBA iiirc. He has saved Blatt from some stupid decisions including the infamous timeout situation against the Bulls from last year's game on national television.

Good read on him:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/07/cavalier-assistant-tyronn-lue-has-his-eyes-prizes/nvBVJv4YuTWy0Um0ubaarJ/story.html

I like Lue but like someone else said, I think the Suns need a coach with HC experience not another rookie coach.
GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Post#42 » by GMATCallahan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:03 pm

BoomShakaLuka wrote:Steve Nash for head coach.

How about Charles Barkley?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,332

Post#43 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:02 am

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Easily Walton.
You are missing Tyronn Lue in that list.

What is Tyronn Lue's pedigree?

He's a guy that has experience being an assistant on some very good teams and players usually rave about him. He was on the Celtics finals team and then Clippers and Cavs wanted him so badly that they made him the highest paid assistant in the NBA iiirc. He has saved Blatt from some stupid decisions including the infamous timeout situation against the Bulls from last year's game on national television.

Good read on him:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/07/cavalier-assistant-tyronn-lue-has-his-eyes-prizes/nvBVJv4YuTWy0Um0ubaarJ/story.html

I like Lue but like someone else said, I think the Suns need a coach with HC experience not another rookie coach.

He sounds decent. I'm not a huge fan of Rivers though, so I don't know that I value someone learning under him as much as someone learning under the guys Melvin Hunt has been under.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,071

Post#44 » by RaisingArizona » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:14 am

GMATCallahan wrote:

That's my choice. He loves the game and guys would respect him.
blacksun
Senior
And1: 375

Post#45 » by blacksun » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:00 am

ginobiliflops wrote:
GMATCallahan wrote:

I doubt he would want anything to do with this trainwreck.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#46 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:09 am

blacksun wrote:
ginobiliflops wrote:
GMATCallahan wrote:

I doubt he would want anything to do with this trainwreck.

I kind of doubt GMAT was being serious.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,111

Post#47 » by Revived » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:25 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/681263737941159936[/tweet]

I hope they don't go this route. I would prefer someone with more HC experience plus I have my doubts about how much the Warriors success is due to Curry and the system Kerr has in place and how much is actually Walton.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#48 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:17 pm

ChrisInAZ wrote:From Jeff to Jeff. Throw a bunch of money at JVG

Big "no"s to Thibs or Majerle.

Luke Walton...really?

That's actually who I came in here to post. I doubt he'd take it, but I would like to see what JVG does with this squad.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Re: RE: Re: If we have a new coach next season, who would you like it to be? 

Post#49 » by carey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:17 pm

SF88 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/681263737941159936[/tweet]

I hope they don't go this route. I would prefer someone with more HC experience plus I have my doubts about how much the Warriors success is due to Curry and the system Kerr has in place and how much is actually Walton.

We will find out much of what we need to know about Walton while Curry is out. 1st game without him they get blown out by the Mavs.

Part of my reason for wanting Thibs is the success the Bulls had once their best player went out. Also the development of Butler, Gibson, & even Noah (who became an assist machine.)
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#50 » by saintEscaton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Hire JVG and poach Ime Udoka as associate head coach. He was instrumental in the Spurs landing LMA.
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#51 » by DRK » Fri Jan 1, 2016 4:42 am

saintEscaton wrote:Hire JVG and poach Ime Udoka as associate head coach. He was instrumental in the Spurs landing LMA.

Udoka was the reason why LMA isnt a Sun right now

He can go jump off a bridge
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#52 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:04 pm

8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#53 » by 8on » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:12 pm

Chris Mannix, Yahoo Sports: "Could Steve Nash be an option for the Suns?"
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/could-steve-nash-be-an-option-for-suns-153646872.html

......................please please please please please please please pleeeeeeeeeease

that would be.......I can't even process how great that would be. unbelievably jittery at the prospect. COME ON SARVER, FOLLOW YOUR FRIGGIN GUT! DO IT!
8on
RealGM

Post#54 » by 8on » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:16 pm

I didn't read this part:

"The Suns have a bright young general manager in Ryan McDonough, whose role was enhanced when Lon Babby, Phoenix’s former president of basketball operations, stepped down last summer, BUT many believe Sarver will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to lure Nash back."

So.......meaning McD could lose his job to Steve? Oh my.....this is getting heavy.
8on
RealGM

Post#55 » by 8on » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:18 pm

Marc Stein, Feb 1, 2016 wrote:Full story going online now but Nash, while undeniably close with Suns owner Robert Sarver, not prepared to leave family for head coaching
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:36 pm

Larranaga sounds really intriguing to me...especially after having a year under Brad Stevens.

Larranaga has history, family ties and an affinity to the Atlantic 10 program, but is committed to Celtics coach Brad Stevens and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge – and a future as potential head-coaching candidate in the NBA.

Larranaga, Boston's top assistant coach, is the son of University of Miami coach Jim Larranaga, who elevated George Mason to national prominence with 13 consecutive winning seasons and an improbable run to the Final Four in 2006.
Jay Larranaga, 39, has stamped himself as one of the bright young assistant coaches in the NBA and a potential future head coach.

Part of George Mason's intrigue surrounding the Celtics assistant coach centered upon the potential of a next-generation Larranaga to recharge a dormant recruiting and fan base in the schoool's Northern Virginia-metropolitan Washington area. George Mason moved to the more competitive Atlantic 10 Conference out of the Colonial Athletic Association in 2012.

Before joining the Celtics as an assistant under Doc Rivers and later Stevens, Jay Larranaga reached the NBA Development League playoffs in both of his seasons as head coach of the Erie BayHawks, compiling a 60-40 record. The Philadelphia 76ers interviewed Larranaga twice for their head-coaching job in 2013 before hiring Brett Brown. Ainge interviewed Larranaga for the Celtics head-coaching job before luring Stevens from Butler University.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--jay-larranaga-passes-on-chance-to-interview-for-george-mason-s-head-coaching-job-200038577.html

Also undoubtedly has ties to McD.

Larranaga entered his first season as an assistant coach with the Boston Celtics in 2012. He spent the previous two seasons as head coach of the Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League. In two seasons with the BayHawks, Larranaga led his squad to consecutive playoff appearances while accumulating a regular season record of 60-40. He also established team records for all-time wins (60), wins in a season (32) and player call ups (12). During Larranaga's two years in Erie, eight different players received NBA call-ups. Prior to arriving in Erie, Larranaga served as an assistant coach at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York and before that he was head coach of the Irish National Team for two years. Larranaga spent the summer of 2012 as an assistant for the Ukraine National Team under former NBA coach Mike Fratello.

In 2013, Larranaga was considered by the Celtics to possibly replace Doc Rivers, but the job was given to Butler basketball head coach, Brad Stevens.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#57 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:51 pm

SF88 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/681263737941159936[/tweet]

All I know is that Kerr took virtually the same team that Mark Jackson had and won a championship immediately. Kerr chose Walton and Walton has run the ship in Kerr's absence. That means he knows the system and he has been able to handle the everyday substitutions, practices, and personnel conflicts for months.

I do know that the Warriors style of ball is what I would love to see here.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#58 » by letsgosuns » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:00 pm

I cannot believe the Suns want to hire Nash to be the new head coach. Hasn't Sarver learned anything from this Hornacek situation. Sarver hired a former fan favorite/great player to coach and eventually he does not do well and most fans grow to dislike him and he is fired. What about when that inevitably happens to Steve Nash. Unless you think Nash is guaranteed to be the coach for the next twenty years. Even Bob Brenly was fired within a few years after the Diamondbacks won the championship. Nash is the most popular Suns player of all time along with Barkley and I would hate to see his legacy tarnished one day by him getting fired as coach. It always happens. Coaches always get fired. It is beyond rare when a coach never gets fired like a Phil Jackson type of situation.

Plus can't Sarver stop getting these people with zero experience and go with someone that has a proven track record. Lance Blanks, Lon Babby, Lindsey Hunter, Ryan McDonough, and Jeff Hornacek were all first time people at their jobs. Get somebody that has done it before at that particular position and shown a championship pedigree.

Sorry to say but I think Sarver has officially lost his mind and I have zero trust in this organization. Majerle was on the bench for years and was passed over. Now you want to pull a guy out of retirement who has never coached on the bench before and make him head coach? Are you kidding me? This is ludicrous. I feel like the Sarver is running a circus act. No wonder no one wants to sign here. The Suns have no direction. Sarver does not know what he is doing when it comes to putting a winning basketball product on the court. Jerry Colangelo handed him a great organization and gave him a team of Nash, Amare, Marion, JJ, and Q. Sarver has run it into the ground. I will never forget that.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:03 pm

letsgosuns wrote:I cannot believe the Suns want to hire Nash to be the new head coach. Hasn't Sarver learned anything from this Hornacek situation. Sarver hired a former fan favorite/great player to coach and eventually he does not do well and most fans grow to dislike him and he is fired. What about when that inevitably happens to Steve Nash. Unless you think Nash is guaranteed to be the coach for the next twenty years. Even Bob Brenly was fired within a few years after the Diamondbacks won the championship. Nash is the most popular Suns player of all time along with Barkley and I would hate to see his legacy tarnished one day by him getting fired as coach. It always happens. Coaches always get fired. It is beyond rare when a coach never gets fired like a Phil Jackson type of situation.

Plus can't Sarver stop getting these people with zero experience and go with someone that has a proven track record. Lance Blanks, Lon Babby, Lindsey Hunter, Ryan McDonough, and Jeff Hornacek were all first time people at their jobs. Get somebody that has done it before at that particular position and shown a championship pedigree.

Sorry to say but I think Sarver has officially lost his mind and I have zero trust in this organization. Majerle was on the bench for years and was passed over. Now you want to pull a guy out of retirement who has never coached on the bench before and make him head coach? Are you kidding me? This is ludicrous. I feel like the Sarver is running a circus act. No wonder no one wants to sign here. The Suns have no direction. Sarver does not know what he is doing when it comes to putting a winning basketball product on the court. Jerry Colangelo handed him a great organization and gave him a team of Nash, Amare, Marion, JJ, and Q. Sarver has run it into the ground. I will never forget that.

Well said.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#60 » by ATTL » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:12 pm

What's matrix doing? Id like to see him on the bench, knowwhatimean?

Return to Phoenix Suns