jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: The Suns announced Earl Watson as their new head coach 

Post#181 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
GMATCallahan wrote:
I agree, but if Booker is not starting at the start of next season, expect plenty of griping fans who will not be viewing the big picture ...

If Knight legitimately beats out Booker, I guess I have no argument. But that means he is playing team ball. Knight was more efficient from the three than Booker last year. Most people choose to ignore that. Booker started out the season playing very efficient ball, but when everything was placed upon his shoulders at the end of the year, his efficiency dropped significantly as defenses collapsed on him. I want to see that efficient Booker again. THAT is where his value will be going forward. The league has plenty of ball-hogging chuckers. Which is what Knight is right now, but what he cannot be going forward.

Knight's efficiency dropped dramatically after Bledsoe went down too. He was actually shooting much better, especially from deep, earlier in the season.

Bledsoe shot quite a bit better than both of them from deep, and Leuer and Telly shot even better.

The main point being, Bledsoe needs to be playing to help everyone get more open shots. If Knight will pass or shoot quickly, than that would help as well. Booker probably got the least amount of minutes playing with Bledsoe, so I imagine that would have a pretty big impact on Booker's overall #s.

This true. Booker and Knight are both much more efficient when they are not trying to play the point.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#182 » by Zelaznyrules » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm

letsgosuns wrote:People have become so obsessed with statistics nowadays that they are not letting their eyes be the judge. Anybody who watches the games knows that Booker is a better basketball player than Knight. Sure Booker is going to have growing pains along the way and have nights where he is off and plays like the 19 year old that he is. But everything about his game exceeds Knight's by so much it is not even fair. The only thing Knight is actually any good at is when he goes on a hot streak which happens every now and then. I truly cringe when watching Knight play basketball. He is one of the worst players I have ever watched because he cannot even do a simple thing like dribble correctly.

And I would say the opposite. Knight played out of position and injured most of the season and still he was the better player (just barely). He should be, he has several more years of maturity and experience under his belt. Booker will likely be a far superior player to Brandon but right now (when healthy), IMO, Knight beats him out. I'd still much rather see Booker on the court than Brandon unless we're playing Knight to raise his trade value but in the short term, a healthy Knight is the better player. Hopefully by the middle of next season Booker will have passed him by and some other team will have made us a good offer for Brandon's services.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#183 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:People have become so obsessed with statistics nowadays that they are not letting their eyes be the judge. Anybody who watches the games knows that Booker is a better basketball player than Knight. Sure Booker is going to have growing pains along the way and have nights where he is off and plays like the 19 year old that he is. But everything about his game exceeds Knight's by so much it is not even fair. The only thing Knight is actually any good at is when he goes on a hot streak which happens every now and then. I truly cringe when watching Knight play basketball. He is one of the worst players I have ever watched because he cannot even do a simple thing like dribble correctly.

And I would say the opposite. Knight played out of position and injured most of the season and still he was the better player (just barely). He should be, he has several more years of maturity and experience under his belt. Booker will likely be a far superior player to Brandon but right now (when healthy), IMO, Knight beats him out. I'd still much rather see Booker on the court than Brandon unless we're playing Knight to raise his trade value but in the short term, a healthy Knight is the better player. Hopefully by the middle of next season Booker will have passed him by and some other team will have made us a good offer for Brandon's services.

I am not sure about this, although I think the two are very close. The ball flows better with Booker. Everyone else is more involved with Booker on the floor.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#184 » by Zelaznyrules » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:

I am not sure about this, although I think the two are very close. The ball flows better with Booker. Everyone else is more involved with Booker on the floor.

Perhaps but you're talking about Knight playing as point guard and hobbled more often than not by his ankle and the sports hernia. But judging him solely by his brief healthy stint I'd say the advantage is clearly his. As I mentioned, I don't believe this advantage will survive for long.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#185 » by rsavaj » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

I don't feel like I'm a complete idiot if I think Knight is still the better player today(as he should be, given his age/experience compared to Booker) but Devin will surpass him before the end of his rookie deal
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#186 » by Saberestar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Right now I think Booker is the better player and it is not even close. Their basketball IQ is the difference maker.

It is like comparing Ginobili with J.R. Smith, for example.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#187 » by letsgosuns » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Type in Brandon Knight's name into Youtube and look at the results. Two of the first few search results (including the first video that comes up on my screen) are montage videos of his career screw ups. Type in Devin Booker's name and look at his search results. All I see is videos of Booker looking great. I know this is a ridiculous way to judge a player but it proves a point. Knight is like a clown. Booker is not.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#188 » by letsgosuns » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 pm

See the video that Jack Nicholson is watching of the guy with the hose. That is what I see when I watch Brandon Knight.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fUswkUM0c[/youtube]
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#189 » by saintEscaton » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Knight can't guard his shadow without tripping over himself, but Booker is even worse he just isn't a Shaqtin A Fool nominee. Booker's defensive adjusted plus-minus ranked dead last among SG and allowed a +5% opponent FG% differential. &Needs to work on rotational awareness off the ball and taking the right angle fighting over the top of screens. Of course the learning curve is steep, I think he will get there eventually but if you want to compete don't start him. I'm all for blowing it up though
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#190 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:46 pm

letsgosuns wrote:Type in Brandon Knight's name into Youtube and look at the results. Two of the first few search results (including the first video that comes up on my screen) are montage videos of his career screw ups. Type in Devin Booker's name and look at his search results. All I see is videos of Booker looking great. I know this is a ridiculous way to judge a player but it proves a point. Knight is like a clown. Booker is not.

I don't know if I have ever seen such a self-contradictory sentence. It proves no point whatsoever.
Son of Ra
Rookie
And1: 1,012

Post#191 » by Son of Ra » Mon May 2, 2016 6:50 pm

If Vogel really hits the open market i'll be sad we signed Watson already.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#192 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon May 2, 2016 8:10 pm

Is Terry Porter the only head coach to come outside our organisation (Since 1990)?

Former Players - Westphal, Ainge, Hornacek

Assistants Internally Promoted - Skiles, Johnson, Dantoni, Gentry, Watson.

Outside Appointment - Porter

Having a look at that history, it pointed to Watson.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Post#193 » by saintEscaton » Mon May 2, 2016 8:58 pm

Son of Ra wrote:If Vogel really hits the open market i'll be sad we signed Watson already.

The Pacers FO will pony up and pay top dollar to retain him, they have made it out of hte first round 3 times and into the conference finals 2 times in his 6 year tenure . They wouldn't make the same mistake of being cheap and letting Carlisle go. Vogel wouldn't entertain us though, Knicks would be his preferred destination as he has ties with Phil Jackson. His offensive philosophy is the antithesis of run n' gun pace n' space, its more half court oriented with two traditional bigs and Bird wants him to get with the times
Jonestown Suicide Squad

Son of Ra
Rookie

Post#194 » by Son of Ra » Tue May 3, 2016 12:13 am

saintEscaton wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:If Vogel really hits the open market i'll be sad we signed Watson already.

The Pacers FO will pony up and pay top dolalr to retain him, they have made it out of hte first round 3 times and into the conference finals 2 times in his 6 year tenure Pacers. They wouldn't make the same mistake of being cheap and letting Carlisle go. Vogel wouldn't entertain us though, Knicks would be his preferred destination as he has ties with Phil Jackson. His offensive philosophy is the antithesis of run n' gun pace n' space, its more half court oriented with two traditional bigs and Bird wants him to get with the times

Well yeah I don't really expect him not getting that expansion but the wiretap suggested that there was a chance of that happening. I'm fine with Watson for now, especially considering who's available atm but I think Imo Vogel is one of the better coaches in the league and if someone like him becomes available you should try to snatch him up.
If he would have signed with us is another question of course.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#195 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 3, 2016 12:37 am

I just came here to post that I'd love if he could be hired as an assistant. Not sure it's something he would want to do, but it would be nice to have him on the staff.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Post#196 » by saintEscaton » Tue May 3, 2016 12:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I just came here to post that I'd love if he could be hired as an assistant. Not sure it's something he would want to do, but it would be nice to have him on the staff.

Brian Shaw would be a good hire for them.
Jonestown Suicide Squad

jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Re: Re: Re: The Suns announced Earl Watson as their new head coach 

Post#197 » by jredsaz » Tue May 3, 2016 5:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I dont think he is assisting anyone. I think Vogel can call his shot. He could pull a Thibs, sit out a year, and get the premium job next offseason.

Got to be Houston if he is looking to coach next season. No way he goes to Sacramento. Unfortunately, I doubt he would have come to phoenix either had we not moved so fast on Watson.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#198 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 3, 2016 1:42 pm

jredsaz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I dont think he is assisting anyone. I think Vogel can call his shot. He could pull a Thibs, sit out a year, and get the premium job next offseason.

Got to be Houston if he is looking to coach next season. No way he goes to Sacramento. Unfortunately, I doubt he would have come to phoenix either had we not moved so fast on Watson.

NY seems to make the most sense. I'm surprised guys like him and Stotts didn't get extended earlier. Chances are they both stay where they are at though.
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#199 » by batsmasher » Wed May 4, 2016 11:13 am

I think my view of Earl has softened a bit. With the right assistants he could really work out. He needs basketball minds around him, otherwise it's not going to work out.

Ironically Horny would probably make a pretty excellent assistant.
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
Son of Ra
Rookie

Post#200 » by Son of Ra » Thu May 5, 2016 5:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

NY seems to make the most sense. I'm surprised guys like him and Stotts didn't get extended earlier. Chances are they both stay where they are at though.

So Vogel is not getting an extension... :o If the Blazers don't extend Stotts I'd say we pay Watson whatever it takes for him to 'happily' accept an assistant role and give Stotts 35/5 years.
A fan can dream... :lol:

Return to Phoenix Suns