Barnes at max
No votes
Bazemore $20 per for 4, maybe S&T Knight for
8%
Dudley at $13 per for 3
8%
Marvin Williams at $16 per for 3
5%
West $10 per for 2 (likely with player option on 2nd)
16%
Leuer $8 per for 2
27%
Wait out a few days and monitor who is left
22%
Don't go after anyone
14%

Total votes: 37

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Re: The 2016 Offseason Thread (Post Draft) 

Post#1881 » by darealjuice » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:45 am

NaturalBuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
NaturalBuns wrote:
So you'd pay Hayward 190mil over 80 on Barnes? Hayward doesn't carry a team into the playoffs. 190mil is devastating

It depends on whether or not you like a player or think he is good. If we signed Barnes and he sucked, I don't want to come here in a couple of years when Hayward is balling and see "well, Barnes contract isn't THAT bad when you look at Hayward's".

It's like spending twice as much money on a computer that works very well, over one that gives you problems all the time.

I won't deny that I'm a fan of Hayward game but that much money no.... I feel like memphis made a horrible deal that can't be justified. If another team payed Hayward that it's in the same bout.

Hell of a player yes but someone who is a difference maker no.. And it's beyond a overkill of saying "overpaid" it reached ridicilous status unless he's a bonafied superstar who can take you to finals

Where are you getting $190 and $80 million? Harrison Barnes would get a similar contract to Hassan Whiteside, something like $96 million/4 years if he signs to a new team and $120 million/5 years if he stays in Golden State. If the cap goes up to $108 million next year like it's projected, the biggest contract we can offer Hayward is about $130 million/4 years. Still a lot of money, but he'll almost definitely get it.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#1882 » by letsgosuns » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:49 am

gaspar wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:I don't get the desperation to make 8th seed, but alot of fans and FO like to compete every year.

We missed the playoffs for the last 6 years. Not everyone is excited about a 15-year rebuild. You have to start somewhere. No one goes from a bottom dweller to a contender in a day.

That is how I feel. Millsap is an all-star. If you can get him on an expiring contract for very little in return, you do it. How many years of awful basketball do people want to watch? The Suns already have Booker, Bender, Chriss, Len, Warren, Goodwin, and Ulis. Seven players that are between the ages of 18-23. And the Suns have been pretty clear since drafting Bender and Chriss that neither is ready to contribute immediately. So acquiring Millsap for one year does not hinder a rebuild imo. All it does is make you a better basketball team right now. The goal is to win games, not tank. Now I would not trade the Miami picks or future Suns picks without lottery protection for Millsap, but I would trade a draft pick or two in the later part of the first round for him.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#1883 » by rsavaj » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:56 am

letsgosuns wrote:
gaspar wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:I don't get the desperation to make 8th seed, but alot of fans and FO like to compete every year.

We missed the playoffs for the last 6 years. Not everyone is excited about a 15-year rebuild. You have to start somewhere. No one goes from a bottom dweller to a contender in a day.

That is how I feel. Millsap is an all-star. If you can get him on an expiring contract for very little in return, you do it. How many years of awful basketball do people want to watch? The Suns already have Booker, Bender, Chriss, Len, Warren, Goodwin, and Ulis. Seven players that are between the ages of 18-23. And the Suns have been pretty clear since drafting Bender and Chriss that neither is ready to contribute immediately. So acquiring Millsap for one year does not hinder a rebuild imo. All it does is make you a better basketball team right now. The goal is to win games, not tank. Now I would not trade the Miami picks or future Suns picks without lottery protection for Millsap, but I would trade a draft pick or two in the later part of the first round for him.

Personally, I'm willing to watch one more year of terrible basketball. I'm serious.

Let the youngsters play, draft well in a good class, and then open up the checkbook next summer to keep our RFAs and sign new guys.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: Re: Re: The 2016 Offseason Thread (Post Draft) 

Post#1884 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:57 am

letsgosuns wrote:
gaspar wrote:

But a lotto protected 1st isn't going to get that deal done. If the Hawks make him available they'll have multiple offers with plenty of teams with the cap space to absorb his deal. I'd guess both Miami picks would be the starting point but it might take more.

I'm just praying Horford leaves so this dumb ass option come off the table.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#1885 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:57 am

The Miami pick isn't even that valuable. The Heat have (at least) Dragic, Winslow and Whiteside under contract for a few years and Miami is a FA destination. Plus they're in the east and will be a perennial playoff team.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
NBA Fiend
Senior
And1: 212

Post#1886 » by NBA Fiend » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:58 am

I hope McD hangs onto those Miami picks. Perhaps a lottery protected pick for a few years. There will be other suitors so I hope the Suns don't overpay but it looks like McD got what he wanted in the draft. Now maybe Sarver makes him do this figuring the Miami pics are far off in the future anyway. Interestingly enough Boston may not want to take Millsap because they would rather have Horford. But if they don't take Milsap and Hoford goes elsewhere then Atlanta won't trade Mlsap. So maybe the Hawks have a Horford deal in place contingent on trading Millsap. Which would hopefully mean the Suns don't give up too much. Follow me? :roll:
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#1887 » by Qwigglez » Sat Jul 2, 2016 5:59 am

I would go for millsap. He is the kind of vet our young guys can look up to. Not only that but he has that team mentality.
Also a lot of you guys had set it yourself that Bender and Chriss aren't ready this year, Millsap would be the perfect substitute. Forget about West and Amare.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Post#1888 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:00 am

letsgosuns wrote:
gaspar wrote:

Of course you do it if there is very little return, but if we trade for him, we are going to give up a lot. I'd love to see Millsap here, and if he'd be willing to re-sign, I'd give up the Miami 2018 pick and maybe a future first, but I would hate to give up a first next year unless heavily protected or more than 2 first round picks in total...but none of them can be unprotected or you could end up winning the lottery and watch someone else get the next superstar with your pick. I don't think many would argue giving up a little to get Millsap, though it will be tough to compete, but the young guys would grow and learn faster watching Millsap's work ethic and game than otherwise.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1889 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:00 am

To me getting a top 5 pick is a better season than a 1st round exit.

I wouldn't swap Bender to have been Detroit this season.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,441

Post#1890 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:02 am

This Millsap talk is baffling. Really good player. Just not a good fit. Dude is 31. :eek1:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1891 » by thamadkant » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
rsavaj wrote:John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987 24m24 minutes ago
The Dudley signing is real positive for Suns. He will help Bender & Chriss something I'm not sure Mirza would do and he can play the 3 and 4

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987 22m22 minutes ago
Suns wanted someone who could start for a year or year 1/2 while Bender & Chriss develop then go to bench - Dudley perfect for that role

‏@SeanSullivanNBA Mirza is all about Mirza. Deadly three-point shooter, but Duds brings chemistry & vet qualities Suns are in need of.

I feel exactly like Sean Sullivan does. Mirza seemed to only want to shoot and sure he was a good guy, but he really seemed to really care about himself. I don't think I remember him passing.

Yup.

A few of us here have been mentioning how Mirza was pretty much Gerald Green. When the ball rotates to him, he'll shoot it 80% of the time... the other 20% probably either wants to shoot it but forced to pass out or drives in to try to score. Wants his points badly.
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#1892 » by NaturalBuns » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:03 am

SunsFanSSOL wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:We refused to trade pick 27 for Pau Gasol in season 1 and we were a better team then.

I disagree, we were a much less talented team. We started Miles Plumlee and Gerald Green and we didn't have young talent like Warren or Booker.

:o
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#1893 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:05 am

During our 40 losses / 43 game streak we had the Teletovic rule where he didn't play when we were within 10 points.

When we scrapped that and kept him in we then won 9 of the last 24.

He helped win a chunk of games with his shooting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Post#1894 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:08 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:To me getting a top 5 pick is a better season than a 1st round exit.

I wouldn't swap Bender to have been Detroit this season.

Well you are 2-0-4 in the last 6 seasons so you have a 100% winning percentage with 4 ties!
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#1895 » by letsgosuns » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:09 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
gaspar wrote:We missed the playoffs for the last 6 years. Not everyone is excited about a 15-year rebuild. You have to start somewhere. No one goes from a bottom dweller to a contender in a day.

But a lotto protected 1st isn't going to get that deal done. If the Hawks make him available they'll have multiple offers with plenty of teams with the cap space to absorb his deal. I'd guess both Miami picks would be the starting point but it might take more.

Well if that is what they ask for, then the trade is not going to happen. I doubt the Hawks are willing to trade Millsap to any team in the East though because they do not want to see any of those teams improve. Therefore, I am strictly looking at teams in the West that could trade for him. The Hawks need a team that wants a starting power forward, is far enough under the cap to absorb a 20 million dollars a year salary, and is willing to trade something. Not too many teams fit that description. Now I did mention that one hypothetical idea earlier in the thread of trading Knight and/or Tucker to the 76ers, Millsap to the Suns, and picks from the 76ers to the Hawks. I would absolutely do that trade. Then the Suns are not even losing any draft picks.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1896 » by thamadkant » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:11 am

Rockets are striking out BIG time... they have a 25 win team currently.. D'Antoni or not.
They dont have another high volume scorer next to Harden.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#1897 » by Kerrsed » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:12 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
gaspar wrote:We missed the playoffs for the last 6 years. Not everyone is excited about a 15-year rebuild. You have to start somewhere. No one goes from a bottom dweller to a contender in a day.

We must have SOMETHING or SOMEONE that Atlanta wants if it has been discussed. I would bet that Tucker is a part of it.

We already have McD on tape saying that the plan is to develop Bender/Chriss and bring them along slowly as they are very very raw (Much raw-er than other top 10 picks. With both of them being so young, im guessing it will take them 3-4 years to develop and start reaching their potential. That could be 3-4 years of learning behind an all-star and one of the leagues top defenders (aka a good person for our rookies to learn from). Millsap also isnt your average ego driven all-star as well, he is very humble. His ties to Hayward would help next offseason, when we would have the capspace to sign Hayward, and if need be to exceed the cap to re-sign Millsap, all while bringing a winning culture back to the Valley.

As for picks, i would give up one of the Miami ones, a lotto protected 1st from us, and a 2nd or 2 easy. Tucker/Goodwin/Knight would all be available to them as well (Schroder is their only PG, Tucker is a Hawks type of 3&D player, and Goodwin is still young with potential (?). All 3 are on great contracts for the current NBA and free's up the space to keep Horford.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#1898 » by DaleyBlind » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:13 am

Qwigglez wrote:I would go for millsap. He is the kind of vet our young guys can look up to. Not only that but he has that team mentality.
Also a lot of you guys had set it yourself that Bender and Chriss aren't ready this year, Millsap would be the perfect substitute. Forget about West and Amare.

Thats all well and good, but what are you willing to give up for 1 year of Millsap.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#1899 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:15 am

If we have Bledsoe, Knight, Millsap, Chandler.

I trade picks and players for someone like Butler / George and win now.
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#1900 » by DaleyBlind » Sat Jul 2, 2016 6:18 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If we have Bledsoe, Knight, Millsap, Chandler.

I trade picks and rookies for Butler / George and win now.

That team aint winning anything though.

Return to Phoenix Suns