Pro Prospect
And1: 1,266

Re: Derrick Jones Jr. 

Post#101 » by Villalobos » Fri Mar 3, 2017 11:33 pm

Fun advanced stats on a tiny sample size:

19.4 PER
137 Offensive RTG (111 defense)
1.1 OBPM, 0.9 DBPM, 2.0 Box Plus Minus, 0.1 VORP

.788% (!) True Shooting Percentage (amazing what never shooting 3s and dunking all the time can do to your efficiency)

If he ever learns to shoot he could be very valuable. But you can say that about a bunch of guys.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#102 » by kennydorglas » Sat Mar 4, 2017 12:15 am

"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#103 » by NTB » Sun Mar 5, 2017 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#104 » by DRK » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:13 pm

Man, DJJ is one exciting player. All the tools to be a solid starter in the league. He moves well off the ball and hes a pretty decent defender, uses his length well. Ive noticed we have been putting him on the toughest assignments over the last 3 games (Westbrook, IT, Beal) and he has responded well.

Get the man in the gym shooting 3's all day and i think we got ourselves a real great piece going forward. Not a star, but a nice complementary pieces to a winning team. Trevor Ariza?
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#105 » by ATTL » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:52 pm

DRK wrote:Man, DJJ is one exciting player. All the tools to be a solid starter in the league. He moves well off the ball and hes a pretty decent defender, uses his length well. Ive noticed we have been putting him on the toughest assignments over the last 3 games (Westbrook, IT, Beal) and he has responded well.

Get the man in the gym shooting 3's all day and i think we got ourselves a real great piece going forward. Not a star, but a nice complementary pieces to a winning team. Trevor Ariza?

Reminds me a lot of ariza coming in to the league. Not the same length but more athletic.
Right now Derrick is a D and D player, dunks and defense. This summer he needs to work on his jumper and eating.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,690

Post#106 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:50 am

Best shooter in the NBA, approaching Ray Allen status 80.8% from the field.
Flex is now your father.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,631

Post#107 » by Qwigglez » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 am

I really thought Jones Jr was just another high flying scrub, but he is showing some promise defensively, and he is moving decently well without the ball. That pull up mid-range jumper in the 1st quarter against the Mavs was good to see. I want to see him and TJ as our rotation guys at the 3. Hopefully Bender or Chriss can gain enough strength and take over at the 5 while the other is the primary 4.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#108 » by kennydorglas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I really thought Jones Jr was just another high flying scrub, but he is showing some promise defensively, and he is moving decently well without the ball. That pull up mid-range jumper in the 1st quarter against the Mavs was good to see. I want to see him and TJ as our rotation guys at the 3. Hopefully Bender or Chriss can gain enough strength and take over at the 5 while the other is the primary 4.

He's keeping it up with a lot of quicker guards, very good lateral movement.
4.4 BLK% is not bad too.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#109 » by NTB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 pm

"And I’m gonna be one of the hardest workers that the Phoenix Suns ever seen."

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/03/17/derrick-jones-jr-phoenix-suns
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#110 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 am

NTB wrote:
"And I’m gonna be one of the hardest workers that the Phoenix Suns ever seen."

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/03/17/derrick-jones-jr-phoenix-suns

Do that with Oliver Millers eating habbits, and we might have something. :D
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#111 » by NTB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 am

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2017/03/22/suns-derrick-jones-jr-becomes-defensive-project/99514704/

“He’s very long, you know,” Suns teammate Leandro Barbosa said. “And he’s very skinny. That helps him get through picks. And he has a lot of energy.”

“I think for him, it’s watching film,” forward Jared Dudley said. “He’s getting some cheap fouls just because … he has to (understand) personnel. He has all the tools with his size and his leaps. But, man, Derrick would be, what, a sophomore in college? It’s tough. You can try to make someone into (a great defender) but overall you have to master your ability, you got to do film study and then you have to have that grit of a Patrick Beverley or a Ronnie Price-type. And that’s something we’ll find out in the next couple years if he can develop.”

“He’ll learn and grow and continue to get better as he gets stronger and picks up tendencies of players, but through experience is the best way," Watson said.

“I always tell him that he needs to shoot a couple 3s or maybe one dribble and the pull-up in the mid-range," the veteran guard said after Tuesday’s loss. “We work on that and I told him, ‘If you don’t take two (3-point) shots during the game, I’m going to take your per diem.’”

Against the Heat, Jones didn’t attempt a 3.

“He’s in trouble,” Barbosa said. “At least two, and he shot not even one, so he’s got to learn – in a good way or a bad way.”

“I take on every challenge that they give me,” he said. “I never back down from a challenge, ever. You’ll never see me do that. It doesn’t matter who the player is or what their stat line shows, I’m going to go out and give it my all and do my best to stop them.”
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#112 » by gaspar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 pm

NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#113 » by NTB » Tue Apr 4, 2017 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#114 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Apr 4, 2017 10:14 pm

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

Keep gettin those reps young fella!
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#115 » by NTB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:14 pm

itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#116 » by itlnsunsfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 am

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

Follow through is not good.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Post#117 » by Fo-Real » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Neither was Shawn Marions follow through..., Jr is a really intriguing prospect. He is no Josh Jackson (whole I fully expect us to draft) but he has a good basketball brain, is crazy athletic and smooth, and if he gets stronger and improves his shot, could really factor into what we do going forward. If you draft Jackson, do you start Warren, bring Josh off the bench and stow Jr in the G League? Or do you trade Warren (doubt he would be happy coming off the bench, he needs to establish value for his next contract in his mind), start Jackson, and continue to develop Jr ?
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#118 » by TOO » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Don't see why we'd trade TJ, contributes with few touches, super efficient, better defensively that some fans think, just needs to tighten up his 3 ball and he's a very good SF.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#119 » by LukasBMW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing TJ get more minutes at the 4 and Chriss getting more minutes at the 5. Then we can run Josh Jasckson at the 3.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Post#120 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Neither was Shawn Marions follow through..., Jr is a really intriguing prospect. He is no Josh Jackson (whole I fully expect us to draft) but he has a good basketball brain, is crazy athletic and smooth, and if he gets stronger and improves his shot, could really factor into what we do going forward. If you draft Jackson, do you start Warren, bring Josh off the bench and stow Jr in the G League? Or do you trade Warren (doubt he would be happy coming off the bench, he needs to establish value for his next contract in his mind), start Jackson, and continue to develop Jr ?

We wouldn't start Jackson over Warren on day one. Not in McD's last year. Also, Watson will want to win. Jackson may end up better than Warren, but not on day one and likely not in year one unless Warren has another injury or something.

DJJ might have an end of the bench spot, especially if we don't draft a SF.

Return to Phoenix Suns