The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#61 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Did u watch metamoris 2 though? They tried having judges and that was by far the worst one.

Anyway, I'm watching now (all of these are on youtube). Tonon might be one of the most entertaining grapplers in the game. I know he has talked about doing mma in the past, it would be interesting I could see him heel hooking his way to a big promotion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmWfokDzIY[/youtube]

Next watching Rory/JT. I had heard this match was good and I'm really enjoying it. Rory is obviously much bigger, but JT only trains grappling whereas Rory trains all aspects of martial arts and its obvious. Check out Rory inverting to recover guard at ~3:50. Rory flying armbar attempt ~7:00. lol, awesome. Rory has a pretty good guard actually, once you realize that he is going against the best of the best in Torres. Also, if anyone knows how JT passed Rory's butterfly guard for that first pass, I'd like to buy a private lesson to learn it. Man the sequence around ~17:00 is just awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahbjelL_dM[/youtube]
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#62 » by Susan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:08 am

I didn't see 2. There should be a structure that rewards the better fighter while still getting them to focus on submissions. Having a title bigger picture would make this feel even more important than how it is now.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#63 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 am

Shields by decision (no punches landed, but a pretty good kick).

They called Rory a "UFC middleweight contender".
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#64 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 am

REDDzone wrote:Did u watch metamoris 2 though? They tried having judges and that was by far the worst one.

Schaub shut that guy down though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#65 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 am

Jasen777 wrote:Shields by decision (no punches landed, but a pretty good kick).

They called Rory a "UFC middleweight contender".

To be fair, if that is the worst piece of mma trivia they blew, that's nothing compared to how much grappling stuff the ufc announcers screw up on a consistent basis.

"He choked him out with a kimura, Joe" - Goldy
Or Rogan literally not knowing or choosing not to name any judo technique ever, just calling everything a "throw", no matter how different.

I was brainstorming more guys who I would love for metamoris to bring over from mma. Man, so many: Ben Saunders, Joe Lauzon and Diego Sanchez (would love to see these two grapple and not be punched anymore), Cole Miller.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#66 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 am

REDDzone wrote:To be fair, if that is the worst piece of mma trivia they blew, that's nothing compared to how much grappling stuff the ufc announcers screw up on a consistent basis.

Sure, just a slightly amusing anecdote, not a "Ha, ha, they're stupid."

Maybe shooting to high, but I'd like to see GSP, Yoel Romero, Okami, Nurmagomedov, Faber, Mighty Mouse, and of course: Ben Askren.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#67 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 am

After pulling Rory and Chael (granted retired), I'm not sure what aiming too high is. GSP is too high, for sure. I think the rest could be do-able.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#68 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 am

REDDzone wrote: GSP is too high, for sure.

And Rousey.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#69 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 am

Fitch would be a good one. Fitch vs Ben Henderson in the gi?

Nate Diaz.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#70 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Rory saying his arm hurts but JT would have had to break it because he wouldn't have tapped was the dumbest thing I have heard in awhile. You got a ufc title shot coming up man! I'll never understand the mindset.

Good thing he was able to spin out of those heel hooks because having that same mindset during those would have been even worse.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#71 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:13 pm

195 lb Rory...hooha.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#72 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:195 lb Rory...hooha.

JT usually does 167.5 (I think) with the gi on and same day weigh-ins. So yea, pretty huge weight difference for grappling.

After seeing Shields do so well against Satoshi and Leandro Lo, it makes you appreciate how amazing Rafa Mendes is. There was a vid of those two rolling a few months back where Rafa dictates the pace and iirc even taps Shields a few times.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#73 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:33 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/11/27/7 ... er-stories

Great stuff.

Barely made it through the rules meeting without a cig, it sounds like. "A pack a day". LOL!
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#74 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 6, 2014 5:31 am

Cool takedown:

edit: hm gif isn't showing up:

http://gfycat.com/ElatedPoisedAzurewingedmagpie
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Jasen777 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 5:58 am

REDDzone wrote:Cool takedown:

She doesn't have a chance against Wonder Woman.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#76 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:59 am

http://www.examiner.com/article/ufc-and ... tling-meet

Joe Warren, the current Bellator Bantamweight Champion, is set to wrestle UFC standout Scott Jorgensen at 145 pounds. Elsewhere on the card, UFC star Gray Maynard collides with Ozzy Dugulubgov at 170 pounds. Maynard, a two-time UFC title contender, is a collegiate All-American from Michigan State University. He utilized his high-level wrestling skills to earn several wins inside the world-famous UFC Octagon. Several from the Gracie family are also set to compete, with appearances expected from Igor, Gregor and Rolles Gracie.

Additionally, Bellator and TNA wrestling legend, "King Mo" Lawal, wrestles Rolles Gracie in a heavyweight clash, and Gregor Gracie will be matched with Darryl Christian at 185 pounds. In one of the most intriguing matchups on the bill, Bellator's Brennan Ward battles Igor Gracie. The event also features high school and college wrestling, plus tournaments and a freestyle main event.

IDK why olympic and collegiate level wrestlers would be havinig wrestling matches with random bjj guys. Seems like some easy wins for guys like King Mo lol but cool anyway.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:18 am

REDDzone wrote:IDK why olympic and collegiate level wrestlers would be havinig wrestling matches with random bjj guys. Seems like some easy wins for guys like King Mo lol but cool anyway.

Getting paid. Crossover appeal for the event. I'd like to see more MMA guys from a wrestling background in Metamoris myself.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#78 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 am

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:IDK why olympic and collegiate level wrestlers would be havinig wrestling matches with random bjj guys. Seems like some easy wins for guys like King Mo lol but cool anyway.

Getting paid. Crossover appeal for the event. I'd like to see more MMA guys from a wrestling background in Metamoris myself.

Well most of the metamoris competitors have mma records, but of the ones who have more prestigious mma careers than grappling careers, it seems like wrestling has had good representation, no? Between Chael and Barnett and Saku.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#79 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:04 am

REDDzone wrote:Well most of the metamoris competitors have mma records, but of the ones who have more prestigious mma careers than grappling careers, it seems like wrestling has had good representation, no?

Sure, it's just that those are the ones I like most.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#80 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:29 am

I want them to get more styles in there. Love the catch stuff with Barnett. Would like to see them get some judokas or sambo dudes in there.

Wrestling is great but I'd like more representation of styles that are more submission focused.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts