Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#1301 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:05 am

Daley - Lima. Leap, plant, 2-3 punch combo as hard as you can, careen.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#1302 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 am

Bernman wrote:
Susan wrote:Don't want to spoil it for anybody but...anybody see MVP yet?

MVP!
MVP!
MVP!
MVP!

You can't see those attacks coming. He recognizes or creates too quickly. First he displayed it with the lead on the switch kick to the liver. He thought he was on the safe side, then he wasn't. Second, on the counter, with that sudden recognition, and then knee to the head right when Cyborg dove. It's high-level stuff.

Hopefully they move him along already. He signed with Bellator 4 years already, the previous 3 fights fought nobodies, and this one was against an over the hill 21-17 Cyborg. I'm a believer. With their practice, they haven't been. Were handling him with kid gloves. Time to take them off and move him into contendership to potentially make him an MMA star. They aren't getting enough of a return from this method.

I basically came to say this. I have no idea how good MVP is because he's fought average to poor competition for 4 years now. I get that Bellator sees him as their future Anderson Silva, but the org isn't deep enough to keep burying him on the mid-card fighting journeymen. He and McGeary came into Bellator at roughly the same time, and their paths couldn't be more different. Put him in with Saad Awad and if he beats them, just give this guy a title shot already.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1303 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:42 am

You clearly have an idea that MVP is good, probably elite, it's just not been proven yet through his competition. But he has faced a few respectable opponents and dispatched them without much problem. Don't be scared to be excited about exciting fighters, just because they're in Bellator. Speaking of which....

Full Cartilage Lima is the best WW in the world *mic-drop*
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1304 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 am

Patricio Pitbull is fighting Bendo in August. That's a pretty funny one, because Bendo just fought at 170, and a lot of people think it would be ideal for Pit to fight at 135. I would think Bendo just out-distances him and he can't get off his power shots. Like the fights against Straus, but less extreme, only with a more careful fighter like Bendo delivering. It's an interesting enough fight on paper. Pitbull was really serious about being desperate to fight Chandler just because he did his job and effed up his brother. *I want to fight you, I want to fight you, I want to fight you". (those are a few of the about 50 English words he knew)
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1305 » by Susan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:01 am

Crushed his skull...kinda **** up.

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#1306 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:07 am

Bernman wrote:You clearly have an idea that MVP is good, probably elite, it's just not been proven yet through his competition. But he has faced a few respectable opponents and dispatched them without much problem. Don't be scared to be excited about exciting fighters, just because they're in Bellator. Speaking of which....

Full Cartilage Lima is the best WW in the world *mic-drop*

I am excited about him, it's why I hate watching him fight nobodies every time out.

Full cartilage Lima is coming back for his belt.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#1307 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:09 pm

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#1308 » by CPT » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Makes you reconsider watching the sport. Jesus.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1309 » by Bernman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 am

If you get your skull dented in, there is seemingly a high chance it would put pressure on your brain, or worse have a piece(s) sticking into it. It's definitely scary stuff.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#1310 » by High 5 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:50 am

I watched the replay several times last night in amazement, but knowing about the injury now makes it almost nauseating. That sound...
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1311 » by CPT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:22 am

Yeah, me too. I actually downloaded the whole event after seeing the clip, but I don't think I'll be watching it again. The Pokemon celebration seems in poor taste knowing what we know (maybe even if not), but I don't hold it against MVP.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1312 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Bellator paying Cyborg's medical bills, as well as giving him his win bonus. Good on them.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1313 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 am

CPT wrote:Yeah, me too. I actually downloaded the whole event after seeing the clip, but I don't think I'll be watching it again. The Pokemon celebration seems in poor taste knowing what we know (maybe even if not), but I don't hold it against MVP.

He stood a long time gloating over Cyborg. I slowed down the video. Even after rolling the Pokemon, he stood there flashing the peace sign and then did some hip gyration/dance while staring in the direction of Cyborg.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1314 » by Bernman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:40 am

That's the danger in continually shooting from distance on a stocky, powerful guy with good subs like Taimanglo. Before that point it was a cruise for Caldwell. Taimanglo barely had any moments. But he was keeping himself in the fight, scrambling furiously to combat Caldwell's insane transitions, and waiting for his spot. Caldwell needed to come close to him. If Caldwell just would have fought safe, from the outside, really Taimanglo's chances would have been slim to none. But he's a fighter and a wrestler, so he didn't do that. In spite of missing weight, I think Taimanglo still has to get the title shot, because they were grooming Caldwell for it, and the division is so thin. If not Taimanglo, I don't even know who else it could be. Gotta keep Dantas active. Dantas will use his reach and clobber him with kicks.

Not surprised that Guillard beat Rickels. Rickels is reckless, has mediocre athleticism, and average grappling skill. These are the types of guys Melvin beats.

Roufusport's Manny Sanchez couldn't keep his split decision win streak alive to run it to 4. It would have been hilarious. He certainly could have won this fight against Weichel. Not that talented, but super scrappy, crafty dude. Had an answer for just about everything Weichel threw at him. Could have given all 3 rounds to either guy. Ultimately they gave the nod to Weichel, probably on the harder shots vs. the volume of decent ones by Sanchez, and minimal grappling success. It's crazy how hard all Sanchez' fights are to score. It's inherent in his style. Maybe should move down and fight Dantas, or try and be a contender there. He's pretty small. Weichel should get the next 145 lb shot. Haven't seen Straus-Weichel in that revolving door of 145 lb title fights.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1315 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:50 am

Just binge watched some bellator today. Bellator will show itself as a joke organization if it continues to do business with Melvin Gullard. I'm pretty sure he has missed weight in every fight since he left the ufc. Just such bs. Inflicting brain damage on his opponents in the meantime though.

Has Mitrione always been so reckless, or is he just feeling pressure to perform now?

I haven't watched MVP fight a ton, admittedly, has he ever fought a wrestler? Surprised by how bad he looked on the ground, just laying flat on his back in half guard and had his guard passed like butter. Obviously ridiculously creative standup though.

Just so disappointed about Caldwell. He was probably the single prospect in mma I was most excited for. He looked so raw in his standup and even his jiu jitsu tbh. He should have been armbarred in the first round after having a kimura attempt reversed but keeping the figure four from the bottom (think GSP/Hughes). Surprised to see him get guillotined like that, you usually find most wrestlers start training submissions, spend the first month of their lives hoarse as hell due to all the guillotines bruising their tracheas, then next thing you know you never see it again. That choke was TIGHT though, man.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1316 » by Bernman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:49 am

McKee is one of the great young prospects in the sport. Super quick feet, pretty fearless, flows from one move to the next standing or ground. Has a lot of tools in his arsenal. And he has an extremely exciting fighting. Basically the polar opposite of his father. His climb should be interesting.

Another one keeping it in the family impressed tonight. Oddly enough, Chinzo Machida is older than Lyoto, in spite of just getting into the sport the last few years. But he might be able to make some noise before it's all over. On the feet they are very similar guys with superb timing, setups, a varied arsenal, and great footwork.

Bubba Jenkins is a pretty low i.q. fighter. He doesn't set up much and then he gets his leg caught tonight and doesn't have the sense to cover up his head. Karakhanyan lit him up for it. Good for him coming back from the knee injury. Although that was a very quick stoppage.

GREAT fight right there between Anderson and Awad. One of the better fights of the year. Back and forth, momentum changed on a dime, the first half both guys were close to finishing on the ground and feet. Always liked Anderson. There is some Cowboy Cerrone there, although I don't think he's as good. But methodical, long striker who doesn't show any fear, puts some good combos together, can change levels and use his distance a little to slam with that leg kick. And on the ground, very flexible, long legs, can really angle, and it doesn't take him long to get control top or bottom. Bellator has a very underrated lw division.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1317 » by Bernman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:31 am

Man, what a disappointment! Pitbull looked well on his way to pulling the upset. He won the 1st rd, and was winning what there was of the 2nd. I thought the reach advantage would be too much of a factor, but Benson didn't seem to have many answers (couldn't pull the trigger), and Patricio was timing him with over-hands on the counter plus thudding him with leg kicks. He got a td or two in the 2nd. Landed a big 1-2 combo. It looked like he was taking control in the fight. Then all of a sudden he stopped, turned away, and apparently that was it. It was hard to tell what was going on. I thought he got eye poked and Big John screwed up again, favoring the guy he knew more from UFC. But Patricio didn't complain, and his foot was all swoll. Still, I think we learned further from that fight Benson isn't quite what he used to be probably, Patricio is legit, and Bellator has a lot of really good fighters 145-170 or so.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1318 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Bernman wrote:McKee is one of the great young prospects in the sport. Super quick feet, pretty fearless, flows from one move to the next standing or ground. Has a lot of tools in his arsenal. And he has an extremely exciting fighting. Basically the polar opposite of his father. His climb should be interesting.

I haven't seen the card yet and I have actually never seen him fight but there has been buzz about this kid for a long time now in mma circles. I do know he got KTFO in an amateur fight at some point, but has looked really good since he turned pro.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1319 » by Bernman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:46 pm

I thought the Benson-Pitbull fight would generate more intrigue, with Benson involved, and the oddball nature of it. It's not even generating any here after Pitbull was unexpectedly cruising to win, then bizarrely coming up lame to gift Benson the win.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1320 » by CPT » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 am

Watched this card, thought it was pretty good.

Super impressed by McKee. Grappling champ with the kind of athleticism to develop into a complete fighter.

Anderson-Awad was great.

Bendo looking pretty underwhelming so far in Bellator. I don't know if the legitimacy Bellator fighters get from fighting and beating him is worth what they are paying him. I wonder what the odds are for his fight against Chandler.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts