Kickboxing Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: Kickboxing Thread 

Post#41 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I actually sort of disagree. I see a lot of Mike Tyson in Hari, an incredible sensitivity and an ability for introspection that gets overwhelmed by nurtured impulse. He won't have the prestige to have his life reviewed in a thousand medias 10+ years from now, as Tyson has had, but I think you would be surprised at the insight and growth he would show.

He will be a vegan by 2022, I guarantee. He's that kind of man.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#42 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:27 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I actually sort of disagree. I see a lot of Mike Tyson in Hari, an incredible sensitivity and an ability for introspection that gets overwhelmed by nurtured impulse. He won't have the prestige to have his life reviewed in a thousand medias 10+ years from now, as Tyson has had, but I think you would be surprised at the insight and growth he would show.

I just don't know if "nurtured impulse" really tells the whole tale. Without weapons, he is one of the most dangerous men on the planet, and he has zero fuse to speak of. ~10 assult charges in the last few years plus 'attempted manslaughter' (according to wikipedia). Whatever town he lives in now is safer now that he isn't going around hurting people, that is what I meant by the world is better now that he's behind bars.

Maybe this stint in prison will cool him off some.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#43 » by Whiteman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:40 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I actually sort of disagree. I see a lot of Mike Tyson in Hari, an incredible sensitivity and an ability for introspection that gets overwhelmed by nurtured impulse. He won't have the prestige to have his life reviewed in a thousand medias 10+ years from now, as Tyson has had, but I think you would be surprised at the insight and growth he would show.

Could be, I'd love to see it.
Watching Tyson in his documentary though, he struck me as lost - a man-child in need of a guide in his life. Hari seems to know what he wants (status, wealth, women) and he knows how to get it. He just doesn't seem to have any respect for people he sees as weaker than him.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#44 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm

It might be the case that Tyson had many more handlers preventing a larger outpouring of out-of-the-ring violence. He also assaulted a number of people (including the Lewis weigh-in and all that). But both he Bari would lose themselves to idiot impulse inside the ring as well. That HDnet interview with the Aussie guy, I remember thinking Hari a pretty sensitive man.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#45 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:

I just don't know if "nurtured impulse" really tells the whole tale. Without weapons, he is one of the most dangerous men on the planet, and he has zero fuse to speak of. ~10 assult charges in the last few years plus 'attempted manslaughter' (according to wikipedia). Whatever town he lives in now is safer now that he isn't going around hurting people, that is what I meant by the world is better now that he's behind bars.

Maybe this stint in prison will cool him off some.

Additionally...
the Dutch kickboxing scene is hand-in-hand with outright drug gangs and civil violence, FWIW. Look around some of those older events in Holland, the tables ringside are all occupied by bikers and there are more than a few fighters/coaches convicted of major drug offenses.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Post#46 » by cgf » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:08 am

So he's only gotta go back in for 4 months? God damn, if you're going to go crazy and **** with the law like it's not even a thing, definitely make sure to be famous.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#47 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Glory 14!!

You gotta push Mirko's footwork but that's hard to do - to push someone back with your length - when you're southpaw/orthodox and he's got a crushing straight.

Crazy comeback by Kiria, holy eff! Not a pretty fight, that other guy is super sloppy. But amazing heart. That effing post-fight interviewer sucked, he failed to get Kiria to answer what he was thinking. Which I was interested in - the guy's state of mind.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#48 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 am

Glory's event in Istanbul (from today) is playing on the west coast in the US right now. So far, Saki looks REALLY REALLY good in his first fight of the LHW tournament. He's putting in work on this other guy.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#49 » by cowboyronnie » Sat May 3, 2014 4:08 am

Old event by now, but just watched Glory 15.

They now justly call those check kick stoppages "knock-outs". They're you applying technique to the other guy...and stopping him. For sure, that's a KO. Gives more credence to Weidman's win, I think.

For whatever reason, they skipped real visual analysis of the check/kick. I'm unsure why.

I didn't think this was a spectacular event, pretty good.

Tmrw's event doesn't look so amazing either. Erroll Zimmerman is no fighting attraction at this point. And Pat Barry's opponent doesn't look too competitive. Artem Levin is a badass, though. And I love Kharitonov.

Glory 17 looks awesome, though. They've got a quick turnaround for Levin and they begin the MW tourney. Featuring Joe Schilling, Levin, Simon Marcus, and Melvin Manhoef! And the guy that beat Schilling, Wayne Barret. Sweet. With Ghita and that hulking dude fighting as the main attraction.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#50 » by REDDzone » Sat May 3, 2014 4:25 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Glory 17 looks awesome, though. They've got a quick turnaround for Levin and they begin the MW tourney. Featuring Joe Schilling, Levin, Simon Marcus, and Melvin Manhoef! And the guy that beat Schilling, Wayne Barret. Sweet. With Ghita and that hulking dude fighting as the main attraction.

I was listening to some Rogan today and he had on that muay thai guy from a week or two ago. I had never really given any thought to the rules of Glory and their implications. No elbows, and no clinching. I guess it kind of gives an advantage to the more traditional Dutch style kickboxers as opposed to the thai boxers? What are your thoughts on this? Is that normal in kickboxing competition? Is that how it was in K-1 (I rarely if ever watched K-1 outside of the grand prixs)? Does it generally make for more exciting fights?

I thought it was interesting because they brought up one of the fighters from the last competition. I guess he was soundly beaten but they said things may have been different were he allowed to use the clinch because it was one of his best weapons. That was an interesting statement to me. Just trying to get a feel for what the implications are, as kind of a layman but someone who is interested in Glory.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#51 » by cowboyronnie » Sat May 3, 2014 8:27 pm

It's a huge deal. Traditional muay Thai can involve a lot of standing grappling. In fact, Simn Marcus, mentioned above as being in this MW tournament, is from Toronto and from a very traditional MT gym...like almost a reactionary, anti-modern gym - the master discourages head/boxing movement and focuses a huge portion of their classes/techniques on clinching (50% probably). So Marcus is at a huge disadvantage and I'm sorry to say will do very poorly here without being able to clinch or elbow/knee from the clinch...he might well get KOd in the first round. In a straight MT match he'd do far better.

You watch two really traditional MT fighters spar, they will often end up just hand-fighting...greco-roman if not for their straight-up-tall zombie stances. Punches are an afterthought, they're just trying to get a grip on the other dude.

K-1 always disallowed two-handed clinches and even got rid of single handed palm-clinching after Overeem began to use it. Essentially because that latter described scenario isn't violent or exciting.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#52 » by cowboyronnie » Sat May 3, 2014 8:27 pm

Which Rogan podcast had a MT guy?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#53 » by REDDzone » Sat May 3, 2014 10:39 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Which Rogan podcast had a MT guy?

It was two brothers. Liam was one of their first names, a week or two back.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by kdawg32086 » Sun May 4, 2014 5:22 am

Just saw Pat Barry get bitchsapped by some giant African guy...was a nice shot to finish him off too.

Sent from my LG-C800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#55 » by Cammo101 » Sun May 4, 2014 6:45 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:Just saw Pat Barry get bitchsapped by some giant African guy...was a nice shot to finish him off too.

Sent from my LG-C800 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Nice to see Pat is as overrated in Kickboxing and he always was in MMA.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#56 » by Shaazzam » Mon May 5, 2014 3:50 am

don't they get more points in MT for throwing their opponent then strikes?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#57 » by REDDzone » Mon May 5, 2014 12:30 pm

IDK how many times its been exactly, but I feel like I've seen Pat Barry's unconscious body sprawled across the canvas too many times. Not really interested in watching that happen anymore tbh.

Cammo101 wrote:Nice to see Pat is as overrated in Kickboxing and he always was in MMA.

Nobody rated him highly, he just got to stick around in the ufc forever because he bangs, bro.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#58 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 am

Glory 17 AND a Glory PPV (!) this Saturday. The former preceding the latter on SpikeTV.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWpO0bX95pQ[/youtube]
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#59 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 am

An exciting trailer to the ME:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvaiqGvkAw[/youtube]
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:19 am

This should be a great event. Lots of exciting fights. Definitely watching the Spike card but still debating whether to order the ppv.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts