World Series of Fighting Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,671

Re: World Series of Fighting Thread 

Post#81 » by NZB2323 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 9:43 pm

That was a good fight. The hotel I'm trapped at has NBC, but not Fox Sports 1. Other than the NBA and the NFL, the UFC is the only league I follow, but they can make it so difficult to be a fan. I think the WSOF could become a legitimate competitor of the UFC, because it's easy to compete with incompetence.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#82 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 6, 2014 1:06 am

I think Gaethje giving a beatdown to Newell on network tv was a bad look for MMA. Sure, in reality Gaethje is doing that to everybody in WSOF right now, but the average person flipping thru sees a helpless one-armed man getting exploited. He at least needed to be competitive, if not win, to keep things status quo in MMA or even aid the cause. And that's far from what happened, so if anything I thought the stoppage was too late under that circumstance. Under a normal circumstance it would have been fine. I don't think Newell could have taken another complete round like the 1st, and it was going that way, so might as well stop it in between.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#83 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:43 am

Why am I not surprised that the dude who gets owned at the blue belt level in bjj tournaments gets REAR naked choked when the dude seemingly doesn't even really have his back in mma?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#84 » by Varejao17 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Moraes is the real deal sir...
props to C.lupus
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:54 am

Gaethje-Guillard will happen.

Cool.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#86 » by Varejao17 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:59 pm

Very cool title fight, the future is bright for WSOF...
props to C.lupus
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#87 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:09 pm

Varejao17 wrote:Very cool title fight, the future is bright for WSOF...

Could you make an argument for the bright future part? I kind of think they're garbage, and I'm just curious for another opinion.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#88 » by Varejao17 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:23 pm

I think they're a 2nd tier organization that knows it, don't try to compete with UFC, like Bellator (at least when they were with Rebney), they're only going to win in this situation... They're not trying to make weekly events and making crappy cards like some of Bellator's, I think they're growing the right way... I love Bellator BTW.
props to C.lupus
Bernman
RealGM

Post#89 » by Bernman » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:47 pm

They're not building the right way by letting their standouts go with fights on their contract like they did with Burkman, Georgi, and maybe Rumble plus Arlovski too.

Bellator under Coker/Viacom isn't building the right way either doing things like releasing Eddie too, killing prospects with matches they aren't ready for, or not making their names because they're more interested in earning a little more money now off old UFC/Pride vets.

Those things are the opposite of building the right way. It's a recipe for failure and eventual death.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#90 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:51 pm

WSOF just sketches me out with their relationship with the ufc. The whole Burkman thing makes it even worse. Burkman said he got called and told he was being released, literally awhile later (as in very same day), Dana calls him up and offers him Lombard?
Bernman
RealGM

Post#91 » by Bernman » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:08 pm

I've made my thoughts known about that already. Everything about them is sketchy between their relationship with their supposed competitor, releasing standouts, paying exorbitant sums of money to fighters, their tv contract that doesn't pay them, their matchmaking style, etc. They aren't building the right way. They aren't really building anything. They were just a saboteur for Bellator when they were actually trying to compete with Zuffa. Now that they are not, I expect them to go by the wayside early next year or so. No reason for them to keep losing a lot of money any longer.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#92 » by Varejao17 » Thu Oct 9, 2014 1:04 pm

Burkman wasn't even the champion, it was not very smart to let Rumble go, but I don't know if they would let Marlon Moraes go easily... I really understand your point, but from fighter point of view, I'd rather go to a place where they would let me move up if I could...
props to C.lupus
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#93 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:14 am

WSOF event tonight, Shields is fighting. His opponent sounded like a real dbag on mmahour this week.

Also, this HW who wears shirts that say "never tap" and who has the worst tattoos I've ever seen...yea, hope he loses.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#94 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:49 am

Its weird to think Chris Horodecki is only 27 years old. I mean I can believe it because he looks like he could be 10 years younger (I have the same issue tbh), but it seems like he's been around forever.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#95 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 am

Bad tattoo guy won. Makes me thing, are there any good heavyweights at all outside of the ufc? Even close?

edit: Bas is so amazingly cringeworthy. And bad tat dude just dropped an f bomb on tv. First Dantas flashes the camera, now this, awesome.

LOL, watching Shields standup could seriously make a layman think "I could kick this guys ass". Then you see him takedown this muscular dude right into kesa and promptly choke him. oops.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#96 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:21 am

REDDzone wrote:Bad tattoo guy won. Makes me thing, are there any good heavyweights at all outside of the ufc? Even close?

Vitaly Minakov probably. HW is thin, even in the UFC.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#97 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:42 am

Whoa, just read the dude who Shields choked once cut off some dudes finger (fingers?) because he owed someone money. Nice job wsof.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#98 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:24 pm

REDDzone wrote:Whoa, just read the dude who Shields choked once cut off some dudes finger (fingers?) because he owed someone money. Nice job wsof.

Edmonton's no joke.

That guy's fought there 15+ times - often for MFC, he's a big local draw. He's limited in where he can fight, mind you, in that he can't cross the U.S. border cos of all the convictions.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#99 » by Jasen777 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 am

Ryan Ford says he broke his arm before fighting Jake Shields at WSOF 14

"I found that out yesterday after seeing my doctor for my X-ray results. I have a broken ulna bone, the same one that I actually broke with Michael Hill and it's just above the plate that was put in my arm. I don't have a choice but to fight.

"It's funny, I have the toughest challenge ahead of me on October 11 against Jake Shields and now I get thrown with another challenge: fighting him with a broken arm. We're not in a sport where insurance is available or where you get injured nine days, ten days out from a fight and you get paid. It don't work like that. You step into the cage, you get paid. That's how I feed my wife, my two kids, I put a roof over their head. The only option I have is to step into that cage, put on a helluva fight, and get paid. Broken arm or not," Ford says.

Pat Reid, Executive Director of Edmonton Combative Sports Commission, told Sherdog.com that Ford passed all pre-fight medical screening, but noted Ford received an indefinite suspension post-fight for a fractured right forearm.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#100 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:19 am

Well now he prolly has a nice bruised trachea to go along with that supposedly broken arm.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts