World Series of Fighting Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Re: WSOF Thread 

Post#61 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 am

Damn look at this guy Hempelman's face...
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Post#62 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:24 am

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping for a submission via leg kick...
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#63 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:38 am

Watched the whole main card, thoughts:

Didn't care about the Griffin/JZ fight, but the ref was incompetent (a theme of the night). Horrific standup at least once. Then the finish the ref leaned over and said in Griffin's ear, "you gotta work" or whatever other cliche, but never one time did he look at Griffin's legs/hips where the work was/would have been taking place where he was turning and kicking, trying to force the hooks out. He went from flattened out to hips up and trying to kick out. He took unanswered shots, so I don't think he has a huge complaint but usually when the guy springs up IMMEDIATELY they have at least a case.

The Huckaba guy...has there ever been a heavyweight more suited for bellator? He looked like a mix between Ron Sparks and Eric Prindle...and pretty much fought like it too.

That Newell sub was kind of weird to me. Was it like a weird guillotine? Live I thought it was an arm triangle but there was no arm there. IDK, it didn't seem like he had the right position for the guillotine, and the guy seemed to tap super quick.

Moraes could have finished that easily. IDK what his deal was or why he was carrying the kid. Also, his opponent was a 26 year old bjj black belt from Idaho? Can't be too many of those walking around...

Spong's opponent was tough as hell.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#64 » by Cammo101 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 am

Never let it be said that the sacrificial lambs didn't come to fight tonight. Huckaba, Hempleman, and De Anda were heavy dogs, but they fought tough as hell.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#65 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 am

It was also annoying to me when the announcers, after the 10th horrific standup of the night, said something to the effect of "we want action here at the world series of fighting". This wasn't on an indian reservation or something where they can affect the reffing, right?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#66 » by Bernman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:Watched the whole main card, thoughts:

Didn't care about the Griffin/JZ fight, but the ref was incompetent (a theme of the night). Horrific standup at least once. Then the finish the ref leaned over and said in Griffin's ear, "you gotta work" or whatever other cliche, but never one time did he look at Griffin's legs/hips where the work was/would have been taking place where he was turning and kicking, trying to force the hooks out. He went from flattened out to hips up and trying to kick out. He took unanswered shots, so I don't think he has a huge complaint but usually when the guy springs up IMMEDIATELY they have at least a case.

The Huckaba guy...has there ever been a heavyweight more suited for bellator? He looked like a mix between Ron Sparks and Eric Prindle...and pretty much fought like it too.

That Newell sub was kind of weird to me. Was it like a weird guillotine? Live I thought it was an arm triangle but there was no arm there. IDK, it didn't seem like he had the right position for the guillotine, and the guy seemed to tap super quick.

Moraes could have finished that easily. IDK what his deal was or why he was carrying the kid. Also, his opponent was a 26 year old bjj black belt from Idaho? Can't be too many of those walking around...

Spong's opponent was tough as hell.

Newell's sub was like a gator roll, but I think he had both arms inside Caldwell's. That stump is a big advantage for chokes actually. His elbow joint lines up perfectly with the hand on his other arm, so he can set it right in that nook, and then use that curly stump to fasten the choke. It makes it tighter, and allows him to do one arm under the chin chokes where normal people must use two. The stump is also kind of an advantage for gnp and brawling, because his elbows are like punches and vice versa. He can hit you with a hard, pointy joint, and not strike beyond you like some lanky fighters will in close. I think overall it's still a disadvantage, but I don't think it's much anymore, especially with his style. We'll have to see when he faces some head kickers with good tdd.

Huckaba did fight for Bellator against Grabowski. He lost a close decision with Grabowski coming off like a one week layoff.

Moraes was impressive, again. He's built like pocket Hercules and has great timing, fast limbs, and mixes it up well. I think he was showing mercy. He needs to fight tougher opposition. It's gotten progressively easier for him in WSOF

Spong didn't impress nor shame himself. We learned virtually nothing. We already knew he was a high-level kickboxer, and now he's beating pedestrian MMA kickboxers. DeAnda barely shot and when he did it was really slow. At 2-0, that's as tough of opposition as Spong should be facing, if not tougher, but he should be fighting opponents who actually have the capability to take an opponent down to test his tdd and ground game.

All the refs were standing up the action too quickly on the night. I think it's just incompetence rather than an organizational directive. I've never seen any of those refs in my life. The fat one with the fu manchu or whatever he was sporting further dispels the myth that all they need to do is incorporate former fighters and that will solve the officiating problem. He was a former fighter.

The card was fun overall for what it was. Pride style freak fight night.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#67 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 am

Bernman wrote:Newell's sub was like a gator roll, but I think he had both arms inside Caldwell's. That stump is a big advantage for chokes actually. His elbow joint lines up perfectly with the hand on his other arm, so he can set it right in that nook, and then use that curly stump to fasten the choke. It makes it tighter, and allows him to do one arm under the chin chokes where normal people must use two.

Well the gator roll is the precursor to the anaconda choke which is just an arm triangle variation. That is exactly what I thought as well, arm triangle (brabo/anaconda). But on the replay, both of Caldwell's arms were free, so it had to be some sort of guillotine but I feel like I don't really see those finished from there too much, seems like there would be a lot of space to cut off both sides. Not sure if its just more rare or if it really does have something to do with Newell's physiology, or if I just haven't been paying attention and it happens all the time. :lol:

edit: Looking at a gif, he kind of adjusts it, but how he locked it up initially definitely looked like an arm triangle.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#68 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 am

Woah, yeah, the sacrificial lambs came to fight. Amazing stuff.

The guy who fought Moraes just willed away that effed up leg and started bouncing around again. Ridiculous stand-up style, though. So off balance and stupid.

Moraes must be a crazy hard worker. His physique and conditioning are awesome and he brings both a bjj bb and great TKD/MT.

De Anda had super fast hands, those and his total fearlessness kept in there against probably the most pedigreed stand-up fighter in MMA. Spong looked pretty weak, maybe the limits of MT movement /countering and though he had some boxing movement moments it wasn't well-integrated. He gets messed-up in a pro boxing match ala Aleks Emelianenko.

His step-in knees, holy f***. He only landed one but I can remember from his kickboxing days that those things are nasty.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#69 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:The guy who fought Moraes just willed away that effed up leg and started bouncing around again. Ridiculous stand-up style, though. So off balance and stupid.

I remember thinking at one point that I had never seen so many kicks miss by literally 2-4 feet.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#70 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

LOL @ Josh Burkman wanting to enter politics. Didn't need any more confirmation that soul patches are for narcissists. Who is standing in front of a mirror every day coiffing such an affected little piece of facial hair but the totally self-absorbed? Naturally his proposed slogan - "Tough Times Call For Tough People" - is really just all about him. Faaawk off.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#71 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:LOL @ Josh Burkman wanting to enter politics. Didn't need any more confirmation that soul patches are for narcissists. Who is standing in front of a mirror every day coiffing such an affected little piece of facial hair but the totally self-absorbed? Naturally his proposed slogan - "Tough Times Call For Tough People" - is really just all about him. Faaawk off.

Run against him at your own risk, bro.
REDDzone
RealGM

Re: World Series of Fighting Thread 

Post#72 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:35 pm

Bumping this up from page 4 to encourage discussion and hopefully help to de-clutter the nonthreadworthy thread.

Anyone watch this past weekend?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#73 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:37 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I haven't really made it a secret that I am not the biggest fan of bellator, but honestly there isn't much of a comparison between them and wsof imo.

A few laughable moments in that event tonight. The fights themselves were fine. Presentation amateur hour.

Yeah, WSOF is basically where Bellator was around season 2. WSOF has some good fighters, though apparently not enough to keep Yushin Okami from fighting a guy they pulled off the street somewhere.

Okami's opponent had the worst display of grappling I've seen in an mma fight since James Toney's fight in the ufc. I have no idea how he was even able to escape to half guard once or twice. Okami passing within two seconds straight to mount, him giving up armbars all day if Okami wasn't content to just beat on him. That was embarrassing, there were dudes at ufc 6 who could have subbed that guy and I'm not exaggerating that (Oleg Taktarov!).

Anyway, I got to watch this because wsof now offers all their events for free to stream on their website. So that's cool.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#74 » by blkout » Tue Apr 1, 2014 7:23 pm

That is pretty cool actually. Might have to check them out
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#75 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Is Herb Dean out of his mind? Lance Palmer had that guy flattened out and was just smashing the **** out of him for 60+ seconds. Palmer is a 4 time All-American wrestler, the kid was going nowhere, had his belly on the mat. Dean didn't even look concerned.

Also, I'd like to point out htat the three representatives from Team Alpha Male that night were a "Lance", a "Chad", and a "Uriah". If that isn't the casting call at All-American Ass Bang IV...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#76 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:57 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Is Herb Dean out of his mind? Lance Palmer had that guy flattened out and was just smashing the **** out of him for 60+ seconds. Palmer is a 4 time All-American wrestler, the kid was going nowhere, had his belly on the mat. Dean didn't even look concerned.

I've always thought Herb Dean sucked, but at least he used to be consistent (in terms of he would consistently stop fights a little early, err on the side of caution). Now the dude is just all over the board with his stoppages, IDK if he overcompensated for the earlier criticism of early stoppages or what.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#77 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 7:49 pm

WSOF 11 - Gaethje vs. Newell on NBC soon.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#78 » by REDDzone » Sat Jul 5, 2014 8:32 pm

LOL Bollinger misses weight by 3 lbs. Wsof amateur hour.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#79 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 9:03 pm

Did that Guillard stoppage seem early to you?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#80 » by REDDzone » Sat Jul 5, 2014 9:25 pm

Jasen777 wrote:Did that Guillard stoppage seem early to you?

Absolutely.

Newell is tough as rocks.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts