UFC on Fox 11: Browne/Werdum (April 19)

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC on Fox 11: Browne/Werdum (April 19) 

Post#81 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:52 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Werdum was really impressive in the standup, but I was very disappointed in Browne's cardio. He gassed quick, and then Werdum was just toying with him.

IDK if this was confirmed but they said at the presser that Browne broke his ribs in the first round. And by "Browne broke his ribs" I mean Werdum broke Browne's ribs.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#82 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Jasen777 wrote:the Diaz brothers don't seem to be taking any fights just now.

Maybe Thomson would reconsider retiring, or Grant could come back?

Weren't there reports that Grant will be headlining against someone on some smaller card soon? Sorry this is obscure but I know it was posted on this board.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,065
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#83 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 pm

REDDzone wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Werdum was really impressive in the standup, but I was very disappointed in Browne's cardio. He gassed quick, and then Werdum was just toying with him.

IDK if this was confirmed but they said at the presser that Browne broke his ribs in the first round. And by "Browne broke his ribs" I mean Werdum broke Browne's ribs.

Had to be. He had a few little flurries, but he really shouldn't have been that tired. Not saying he necessarily would have won either way, but he was insanely gassed, very quickly.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#84 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Had to be. He had a few little flurries, but he really shouldn't have been that tired. Not saying he necessarily would have won either way, but he was insanely gassed, very quickly.

That said, he's a big dude with an adcc heavyweight champ calibur dude on top of him for decent portions of the first two rounds. He was in bottom halfguard flattened out most of the time, but some time in side control and north south as well. It sucks carrying that much weight I'm sure, especially if that pressure is coming down on broken ribs. Yikes. :pityfool:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Post#85 » by cgf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:Its such an interesting dynamic. When you are SO confident in your ground game such that you can literally take any stance that you want and would even welcome the opportunity to fight from your back. Browne grabbed a few singles that Werdum didn't even bother fighting off.

Werdum sometimes reminds me of Fedor in that second Coleman bout, when he knew that even if Mark took him down he'd just slap on another armbar for the win, as he eventually did in round two, and so instead of fighting the take down he just stood there hammering away at Mark's head as mark spent the entire first round failing to take Fedor down.

That confidence grappling lets him be a lot more aggressive with his striking and to do things other guys can't. I've been saying Werdum is the biggest threat to Cain since JDS proved he was going to refuse to fight smart with Cain, and his stamina is the one concern I still have about Doom pulling it off.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Post#86 » by cgf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 pm

BTW BrownPride East looked pretty amazing again. If he can take his striking to the next level like Cain did we're looking at a guy who'll stop both Pettis and Aldo en route to dominant run as champ.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#87 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 pm

cgf wrote:BTW BrownPride East looked pretty amazing again. If he can take his striking to the next level like Cain did we're looking at a guy who'll stop both Pettis and Aldo en route to dominant run as champ.

Khabib? I assume you don't mean "stop" as in finish?
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#88 » by Bernman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 pm

cgf wrote:BTW BrownPride East looked pretty amazing again. If he can take his striking to the next level like Cain did we're looking at a guy who'll stop both Pettis and Aldo en route to dominant run as champ.

That's a pretty huge if considering his striking right now mostly consists of flailing his arms.

I suppose what you say is probably true. It's also probably true that if Pettis develops wrestling like GSP, and Aldo submissions like Cerrone; they'll be far and away the greatest p4p of all time.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#89 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Despite being an amazing card, ratings were apparently really bad for this event.

I've been saying it for awhile now, but I think the ufc is in a decline right now. Ariel said fox executives specifically asked for that main event too.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#90 » by Jasen777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 pm

They're trying to make it a mainstream sport, but it just does not appear to be.

Why pay the UFC if you can get better results with a 58 year old movie.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#91 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

“I think all of the top-10 really needs to learn wrestling if they want to compete with me,” Nurmagomedov told MMAjunkie through an interpreter.

Between this, and Khabib stating that he would only wrestle Gil/Nate, not strike with them...he better watch out before he gets Fitched/Shieldsed/Okamied/Askrened. He doesn't speak English, he won't be the next GSP, why would the ufc want him as champion as opposed to Melendez/Pettis/Aldo? Gotta bang bro.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#92 » by Jasen777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:Between this, and Khabib stating that he would only wrestle Gil/Nate, not strike with them...he better watch out before he gets Fitched/Shieldsed/Okamied/Askrened.

Well he's already signed and he hasn't lost yet. But it wouldn't be surprising if he got less opportunities than some other fighters, especially once he losses.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,774

Post#93 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 am

I don't think that I enjoyed this card as much as the rest of this board, and I don't think that I'm as high on Werdum as the rest of this board.

The low rating is probably because of the NBA playoffs, and I thought that it was a good card, but nothing spectacular.

I could see Werdum submitting Cain if it goes to the ground or winning via KO with one punch, but there's no way that I see Werdum winning a decision against Cain. I think that it'll look a lot like the Mir/Cormier fight. Cain via cardio, clinchwork, and dirty boxing.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#94 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 am

Hilltop wrote:His striking has been on point for a while now. I too thought he was sharper than Overeem in that disgrace of a fight and he carried that over in his wins over Russow and Nelson as well.

Absolutely. In that Overeem fight, if he had gone in there not thinking that his best/only chance was on the ground, I think he could have straight-up beaten Alistair standing. He did really well but would not take advantage of landed combos, or only so by then trying to shoot.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#95 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 am

God damn, Barboza has the nastiest striking in the sport. Yeah, yeah, whatever, Bern. But that was frightening stuff. The speed and explosion is top. You don't see that anywhere outside of Glory. Unfortuantely he's sort of in the muay Thai mode of all-aggression, little boxing movement.

Guillard has nothing on the guy. He's worlds better. He actually could hang in Glory with a focus on kickboxing. IMO. And the 8/10oz gloves.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#96 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:59 am

There;s a Khabib and a Khabilov? !??
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#97 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:04 am

It sounds like Alves had a crazy-protracted time getting back to that level. I can only imagine. That's a lot of gratification deferment. So much respect.

How much does it cost to move Dolce into your house for a month?? Dolce talked about what he does for guys - daily bloodwork, nutrition, and guarding their emotional/psychological lives entirely - on the Rogan podcast and it was super interesting.

I assume he's totally attuned to whatever PEDs you're doing as well, he'd have to be.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#98 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:God damn, Barboza has the nastiest striking in the sport. Yeah, yeah, whatever, Bern. But that was frightening stuff. The speed and explosion is top. You don't see that anywhere outside of Glory. Unfortuantely he's sort of in the muay Thai mode of all-aggression, little boxing movement.

He is a beast I agree but he seems to get hit a lot. That's probably the lack of boxing movement you are talking about.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts