Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3 

Post#181 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm

spykelee wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, I don't get paid sh*t. I get $60,000 (to show) and $60,000 (to win).

Ya tough times there guy

If he busts his ass and doesn't win, he's made very little there. If it's a FS1 or something, the sponsor money isn't going to help much either - that is apparently getting really piddling. Before taxes but after his manager and trainers, he might be down to 40-45K. His opponent gets injured, he gets injured, fights are postponed you could be stuck with that as your only payday for a good chunk of the year. He hasn't gotten that win bonus in two fights now and is being blackballed as well, he probably hasn't made much at all in a couple years.

You catch a glimpse of a coutndown show and see how the UFC is selling you to the fans, and then look at your yearly income...I could see being upset.

Then again, the guy is obviously delusional about who he is. As athletes probably have to be. But he's not grasping the variables between himself, "pro boxers" (no names given), Nick/Gil...Rogan.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#182 » by Headliner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:40 pm

He makes more than teachers, nurses, engineers etc. He's not getting robbed with that pay. On a contract like his, if he goes 6-4, which is a hugely mediocre, he's made around a million dollars in 5-6 years. That's without any fight bonuses.
I don't feel for him. This is Nate Diaz. He's never been a champ, and most likely never will be one. If that was Nick Diaz making that cash, I'd be a bit more skeptical, only because he has a title to his name and is a much larger draw.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#183 » by Mehar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:40 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Mehar wrote:Actually he was not a bad player for the Clippers for a couple of years if i remember correctly. I think he won the most improved player award, and had a couple of good years with the Clippers playing next to guys like Brand, before he signed a big deal with the Bucks. However, he never did live up to the deal with the Bucks. Was not the worst player in the world. As a Raptors fan since 1995- i seen my share of terrible basketball players. Good thing about your Bucks- they will

Yea he was a good player for the Clipps. Signed with the Bucks the same year they traded for "all-star" center Jamal Magloire, brought back all-star Redd, had number one pick Bogut, etc. Everyone was so hyped for that season, Simmons started off great, dunking over Alonzo Mourning in the first or second game. Then he IMMEDIATELY got plantar fascitus and missed the rest of the season and when he didn't sit, he sucked. Missed the next season and when he finally came back he was laughably terrible/immobile. In the meantime, he spent his free time patrolling the streets of Milwaukee and punching hookers in the face. Just a disaster a la the Bucks.

get a top lottery pick and a good player to build around from scratch. However as a Bucks fan- you did have your share of solid basketball teams under George Karl over a decade ago, with guys like Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Big Dog Robinson, Tim Thomas, etc. The beginning of the downfall for the Bucks was acquiring Anthony Mason back in the day, since it changed the up-tempo way the Bucks used to play. With the Raptors- besides this one good year, there have been only two very good years the past 18, with 16 years of terrible players and terrible rosters.

Honestly I only moved to WI in 2000ish so time just in time for their deep playoff run but didn't get to enjoy much of their success prior. I pretty much saw that good year, then they had the biggest collapse ever the next year, and then they traded Ray for Peyton and have been pretty embarrassing ever since outside of a crazy stretch a few years back.

I actually used to love watching the Bucks play when they had the Big 3- Allen, Cassell, and Robinson, and guys like Tim Thomas coming off the bench. Loved their up-tempo style. Two moves that led to their downfall- the Anthony Mason acquisition, and the Allen deal for Payton. From Up-tempo, good ball movement and exciting play- they became the polar opposite. They thought that needed to better defensively overall, and those two moves were horrible (especially the Ray Allen deal). Mason ruined the team's chemistry. Allen was exceptional with the Sonics playing alongside Rashard Lewis. You are right- the Bucks have been terrible the past decade. I met Magloire in Toronto about a year ago. He is a great guy.

However- the only reason he was an "All-Star" was because the East had no legitimate big men the year he was selected. He got there by default. The Toronto Media had a lot of news stories of Magloire being selected. I remember those. It was good he became the second Canadian all-star besides Nash, but i always thought he was overrated. A great guy though. If the Bucks thought they were getting a real-all star Center- they were badly mistaken. Good luck to your Bucks. They will get a top pick, and hopefully another Toronto Native- Andrew Wiggins turns your team around. You just like us Raptors fans have had your share of terrible teams.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#184 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Headliner wrote:He makes more than teachers, nurses, engineers etc. He's not getting robbed with that pay. On a contract like his, if he goes 6-4, which is a hugely mediocre, he's made around a million dollars in 5-6 years. That's without any fight bonuses.
I don't feel for him. This is Nate Diaz. He's never been a champ, and most likely never will be one. If that was Nick Diaz making that cash, I'd be a bit more skeptical, only because he has a title to his name and is a much larger draw.

teachers and nurses don't work for a for-profit organization.

they also make way more than him, considering that after those 5-6 years, his career is virtually done. and his health compromised. where the teacher can teach til theyre 65, with an ever-growing income, and a beautiful pension (here in Ontario anyway). things get increasingly easy for a teacher from about year one. not for a UFC fighter.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#185 » by blkout » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 pm

I've said before I have no sympathy for these guys financially because they're choosing to do this but the distribution of wealth, especially with this whole Ronda Rousey circus, is getting even more confusing for me. She's getting paid for the attention she brings to the UFC, but she's bringing attention to the UFC because they're ramming her down everyone's throat on a non stop basis and she'll never lose because the only people who could beat her have management who Dana couldn't possibly work with. A fighters union will never exist but it probably should now more than ever.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#186 » by Jasen777 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Headliner wrote:He makes more than teachers, nurses, engineers etc. He's not getting robbed with that pay.

The only breakdown of UFC finances I've seen concluded that fighters are getting about 11% of UFC revenues (that even included a $5K secret bonus for every fighter ever event assumption). (that was for 2011, I was going to do one myself but finding info for foreign events is often impossible). For the major team sports that's normally around 50%. Now the UFC is not those sports, but it's clear the fighters aren't being fairly compensated considering the revenue the generate for the company.

Bottom level UFC fighters like John Cholish lost money fighting after paying gym fees and coaches. Nate made more than that, but that's still a factor for him.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by Headliner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Headliner wrote:He makes more than teachers, nurses, engineers etc. He's not getting robbed with that pay. On a contract like his, if he goes 6-4, which is a hugely mediocre, he's made around a million dollars in 5-6 years. That's without any fight bonuses.

teachers and nurses don't work for a for-profit organization.

they also make way more than him, considering that after those 5-6 years, his career is virtually done. and his health compromised. where the teacher can teach til theyre 65, with an ever-growing income, and a beautiful pension (here in Ontario anyway). things get increasingly easy for a teacher from about year one. not for a UFC fighter.

Not to divert, but things are not easy for teachers after year one, unless you ignore the 10 years it takes for most teachers to get to become a year one permanent teacher. You need to sub for awhile at piss poor sub rates (you make more working at Tim hortons full time than subbing). Do terms where you take 30% or 50% work terms, where you will work everyday but work half days for half the pay, and at the end of the year have worked for only half a year of pensionable service...all for the right to be told to **** off by teenagers who's parents tell them they are special angels everyday.
My brother has taught for 10 years and isn't a permanent teacher yet and has only acquired 6 years of pensionable service.

I'd take the 1.3 million Nate diaz has made over his 10 years.
Get a damn finical advisor, and the guy can work casually for the rest of his life and live a great life.

Some of these guys act like they shouldn't have to do anything ever again because they are athletes. A guy like Nate diaz isn't even that good. He's mediocre. He's 7-7 in the last 5 years.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by Headliner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Headliner wrote:He makes more than teachers, nurses, engineers etc. He's not getting robbed with that pay.

The only breakdown of UFC finances I've seen concluded that fighters are getting about 11% of UFC revenues (that even included a $5K secret bonus for every fighter ever event assumption). (that was for 2011, I was going to do one myself but finding info for foreign events is often impossible). For the major team sports that's normally around 50%. Now the UFC is not those sports, but it's clear the fighters aren't being fairly compensated considering the revenue the generate for the company.

Bottom level UFC fighters like John Cholish lost money fighting after paying gym fees and coaches. Nate made more than that, but that's still a factor for him.

He's 7-7 in the last 5 years. And made around 750k, they guy is a knucklehead who thinks he is entitled to live in a mansion, drive a great car, and never work again in his life.

His brother can complain about money, guys at the bottom of the card can complain about getting robbed, guys like Nate diaz can't.

Personally I hope the ufc establishes a minimum fight amount of at least 20k.
I think they should structure it as first fight 20k, if you lose and they don't cut your cash stays the same. If you win you go up 10k for the next fight. Same thing as the first. Lose stay the same. Win, up another 10k and you can now renegotiate a new contract.

Simple. It gives the new guys a living wage to go on, and doesn't kill your bottom line.

Although I have a feeling the ufc is hitting finical hard times. They want to spend like it's 2008 but MMA is declining in interest. They are feeling the pinch, even if they are still profiting.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#189 » by CPT » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:42 am

Jasen777 wrote:

I can't pretend to understand the differences in operating costs and revenue between the UFC and an NBA franchise, but that's a crazy figure.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#190 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:39 am

In the espn interview, they brought up the 50% revenue thing to Lorenzo. I can't remember his exact verbiage, but it was something along the lines of the ufc is in the ballpark of paying 50% of revenue to the athletes.

It wasn't very convincing at all.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#191 » by Jasen777 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:41 am

CPT wrote:I can't pretend to understand the differences in operating costs and revenue between the UFC and an NBA franchise, but that's a crazy figure.

Here's the article. I misrembered a little. The writer assumed a $10K secret bonus for every fighter every fight and the percentage the fighters got of the total revenue was 9.5%.

Also see the comments. Standard and Poor estimated the UFC was operating a profit of 35-40% of their revenue. When they talk about debt it's all a game because they choose to run a credit line and pay the profits out as dividends (to the Fertittas, White, and Flash Entertainment).
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#192 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Saw a headline on the UG Blog where Meisha was claiming its unfair if Carano gets a title shot. Hilarriousss considering she got a shot with 0 ufc wins and coming off a brutal knockout loss.

edit: While I'm at it, moving up this UGBlog list. Fighter in Wyoming collapses between rounds, literally falls off his stool. And the ref/doctor allow him to keep fighting after his corner hurriedly revives him. How unbelievably shameful. I want to laugh but its just too morbid.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,256

Post#193 » by Shaazzam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:58 pm

REDDzone wrote:Saw a headline on the UG Blog where Meisha was claiming its unfair if Carano gets a title shot. Hilarriousss considering she got a shot with 0 ufc wins and coming off a brutal knockout loss.

edit: While I'm at it, moving up this UGBlog list. Fighter in Wyoming collapses between rounds, literally falls off his stool. And the ref/doctor allow him to keep fighting after his corner hurriedly revives him. How unbelievably shameful. I want to laugh but its just too morbid.

And the comission defended the decision to allow him to fight.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#194 » by Jasen777 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 am

REDDzone wrote:edit: While I'm at it, moving up this UGBlog list. Fighter in Wyoming collapses between rounds, literally falls off his stool. And the ref/doctor allow him to keep fighting after his corner hurriedly revives him. How unbelievably shameful. I want to laugh but its just too morbid.

Damn. Worse than I was expecting even. Here's a gif.

Spoiler:
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#195 » by Cammo101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:09 am

blkout wrote:I've said before I have no sympathy for these guys financially because they're choosing to do this but the distribution of wealth, especially with this whole Ronda Rousey circus, is getting even more confusing for me. She's getting paid for the attention she brings to the UFC, but she's bringing attention to the UFC because they're ramming her down everyone's throat on a non stop basis and she'll never lose because the only people who could beat her have management who Dana couldn't possibly work with. A fighters union will never exist but it probably should now more than ever.

Ronda was a huge name and was bringing attention to women's MMA long before the UFC started ramming her down everyone's throat. I don't know or care what she is making, but she deserves it.

Ronda puts butts in seats and gets people to buy PPVs, so she is worth 10000 John Cholishes. I don't really understand the fascination with what fighters make, but I do know that if you make the UFC money, then you make a great deal of money in return. Which is not all that different from real life. You get what you are worth.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#196 » by blkout » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 am

Cammo101 wrote:[Ronda was a huge name and was bringing attention to women's MMA

How much is women's MMA really worth though? It's not as if women are buying PPV's and flocking to the events en masse, though Dana said 40% of the UFC fanbase is female now :lol:
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#197 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
blkout wrote:I've said before I have no sympathy for these guys financially because they're choosing to do this but the distribution of wealth, especially with this whole Ronda Rousey circus, is getting even more confusing for me. She's getting paid for the attention she brings to the UFC, but she's bringing attention to the UFC because they're ramming her down everyone's throat on a non stop basis and she'll never lose because the only people who could beat her have management who Dana couldn't possibly work with. A fighters union will never exist but it probably should now more than ever.

Ronda was a huge name and was bringing attention to women's MMA long before the UFC started ramming her down everyone's throat. I don't know or care what she is making, but she deserves it.

Ronda puts butts in seats and gets people to buy PPVs, so she is worth 10000 John Cholishes. I don't really understand the fascination with what fighters make, but I do know that if you make the UFC money, then you make a great deal of money in return. Which is not all that different from real life. You get what you are worth.

:o
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#198 » by Cammo101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

blkout wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:[Ronda was a huge name and was bringing attention to women's MMA

How much is women's MMA really worth though? It's not as if women are buying PPV's and flocking to the events en masse, though Dana said 40% of the UFC fanbase is female now :lol:

It's not women that are fascinated with Ronda, it's men.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#199 » by cgf » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:edit: While I'm at it, moving up this UGBlog list. Fighter in Wyoming collapses between rounds, literally falls off his stool. And the ref/doctor allow him to keep fighting after his corner hurriedly revives him. How unbelievably shameful. I want to laugh but its just too morbid.

Spoiler:

There's a lot where I'm a fall on the **** side of athletes safety, I have no issue with PEDs, but that's disgusting that anyone let that man get back into the cage.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#200 » by High 5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

Spoiler:

Yeah, way worse. Even Dan Miragliotta would consider that shameful.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts