Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3 

Post#561 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:56 am

If you're a competing org, that's something you just don't do. I believe SF, with the same promoter, did this with Shields shortly before they were officially sold to Zuffa. It'll probably take significantly longer this time because of the strained relationship between the two promos in the past, and it'll take time for guys like Eddie to make their mark in UFC, but I think that's the end game. Fighters like Eddie are samples. They'll make fans and the UFC want a bigger taste in the long run. As far as Bellator existing as a promotion in the long run, matches like Karo-Baroni, Karo-Zaromskis, Mo-DeBlass, Kongo-Lavar, etc. certainly don't serve that purpose. All it does is sell the card a little better in the here and now. I think that's Viacom's biggest goal outside of prepping it for Zuffa while they still hold the promotion.

It'll be fun to see what Chandler, Dantas, Pitbull, Curran, Morcego, Lima, Koreshkov, Page, Brooks, McGeary, Minakov, etc. can do in UFC in a year's time. BTW, of course Chandler is really 14-0. That would comfortably be his record with media scoring. He beat Brooks, and Eddie, twice.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#562 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:38 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/georges-st ... 55136.html

Interesting..

(as a Canadian I would love to have GSP back..just saying). :)! :P! :D!
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#563 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 pm

"Callen was talking about this once in a book he read, about how men disdain men who wear a lot of jewelry. That it goes back to the hunting days...that men who wear shiny, flashy things scare away the animals. The same with men who talk too much. If you look at like movies where there's like a hero that is to be looked up to and he's very stoic, it's because those are qualities valued in hunting parties...makes sense, right?" -Joe Rogan, JRE

LOL. Everything wrong that's so hilariously right with the Rogan podcast. Bryan Callen, evolutionary psychology, "makes sense". The number of times I've heard Rogan assent to some loose scientific theory with, "makes sense"...
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,776

Post#564 » by NZB2323 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:48 am

The Korean Zombie returns October 4th to take on Corassani, and that's the next event after UFC 178! We get to see McDonald fight the same day at a different event, and after that it's 179 with Aldo vs. Mendes and Davis vs. Glover.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#565 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 pm

I heard Drysdale got cut. Honestly, good.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#566 » by Jasen777 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 am

Vintage Bisping - fight starts at 2:28ish

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9lvTqvcZqY[/youtube]

And the ref OMG!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#567 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:51 pm

MMAHour listen: Wow listening to Ariel and Bobby Green try to manufacture fake beef between Green and Cerrone/Norman Parke. The Cerrone beef detailed listerally contained a hello kitty backpack lol.

Ariel: What's wrong with Norman Parke.
Green: Um, he's a umm douche, bro. Um, he like said some words to me bro. These guys are disrespecting me, bro.
Ariel: Wow.

Bern will also be glad to know that Dana told Green that he thought Thomson won the fight. He also said Joe Silva called him down for the talking in that fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#568 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Two kind of badass anecdotes I heard this morning.

Rockhold told Bisping that if they fought he would finish him first round. If he didn't, he would give up his purse, but if he did he got Bisping's purse. Bisping declined haha.

Keenan Cornelius was on reddit and someone asked how close he was to tapping against Vinny's leg attack at metamoris. He said he wasn't close at all to tapping, but he was really really close to getting his foot broken. That he had decided at that moment that he was not going to tap and play it out lol yikes.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#569 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Joe Riggs's father gave him his first gun when he was in eighth grade.

Still shoots himself with it.

Yikes.

Also, Rory on. This story is so hilarious. I guess the ufc was calling/texting his old number to get his walkout song for YEARS without realizing it, and some random guy was just giving them funny songs to play and nobody ever figured it out. Finally the guy requested a nickelback song (lol) and the guy approached Rory to tell him they couldn't play it and they figured it out haha wow.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#570 » by skflives » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-Releases-Former-205Pound-Champ-Attila-Vegh-12-Other-Fighters-72617#bxa8exSDO38CbTRY.01

Bellator cut a bunch of guys including Attila Veigh. Damn man. I hope he goes to the UFC. Don't get me wrong...I don't think he's a threat to Jon Jones or anything but I just feel bad for the dude. Bellator did him dirty. They set up an interm light heavyweight championship fight while he was supposedly hurt only for him to come out and say he's perfectly healthy. They then cut him after one loss. SMH
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#571 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 pm

skflives wrote:http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-Releases-Former-205Pound-Champ-Attila-Vegh-12-Other-Fighters-72617#bxa8exSDO38CbTRY.01

Bellator cut a bunch of guys including Attila Veigh. Damn man. I hope he goes to the UFC. Don't get me wrong...I don't think he's a threat to Jon Jones or anything but I just feel bad for the dude. Bellator did him dirty. They set up an interm light heavyweight championship fight while he was supposedly hurt only for him to come out and say he's perfectly healthy. They then cut him after one loss. SMH

Mighty Mo becomes a submission machine and still gets cut, damn.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#572 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:09 am

UFC announced they will be matching up Dustin Ortiz and Joseph Benavidez at a future ufc fight night (cpt the event hasn't been numbered or given a main event as of now, so no thread to make yet). I don't like this fight. Benavidez will win but nobody wants to see DJ beat him up for the 3rd time in the last year or two. It just knocks off a contender in a division that just lost a contender in Makosky and is having Chris Cariaso fight for a title in a few weeks.

Doesn't hurt that I'm a big Ortiz fan, and was long before he ever went to rufousport btw. :)
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#573 » by SDM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 pm

REDDzone wrote:UFC announced they will be matching up Dustin Ortiz and Joseph Benavidez at a future ufc fight night (cpt the event hasn't been numbered or given a main event as of now, so no thread to make yet). I don't like this fight. Benavidez will win but nobody wants to see DJ beat him up for the 3rd time in the last year or two. It just knocks off a contender in a division that just lost a contender in Makosky and is having Chris Cariaso fight for a title in a few weeks.

Doesn't hurt that I'm a big Ortiz fan, and was long before he ever went to rufousport btw. :)

Gotta say, can't think of many fighters at the lower weights who can walk into a fight with 8-9 inches on their opponent.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#574 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 pm

REDDzone wrote:MMAHour listen: Wow listening to Ariel and Bobby Green try to manufacture fake beef between Green and Cerrone/Norman Parke. The Cerrone beef detailed listerally contained a hello kitty backpack lol.

Ariel: What's wrong with Norman Parke.
Green: Um, he's a umm douche, bro. Um, he like said some words to me bro. These guys are disrespecting me, bro.
Ariel: Wow.

Bern will also be glad to know that Dana told Green that he thought Thomson won the fight. He also said Joe Silva called him down for the talking in that fight.

Huh. I did not know that was done.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#575 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:[

Huh. I did not know that was done.

I believe Green said Silva was like "more fighting less talking". As usual though, probably worth a listen. Good interview.

Green said he literally has a hit / hits out for his life. And obviously his brother was murdered.

I'd probably be relocating.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#576 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

skflives wrote:http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-Releases-Former-205Pound-Champ-Attila-Vegh-12-Other-Fighters-72617#bxa8exSDO38CbTRY.01

I think him being done dirty is part of the reason why they cut him. He probably asked for it so he could get an opportunity soon in the UFC, and they obliged. Which would be good for him, but something an organization doesn't do if they're truly trying to be a competitor. Instead they try to make it up to him in their own organization. But since Coker took over, it's appeared that Bellator isn't truly trying to compete w/ UFC anymore. It more so appears they are trying to sell shows in the short-term while prepping the promotion for sale. Letting go of good but not marketable fighters under their banner, like Vegh and Sham, so they can go to the UFC soon and prove guys in Bellator can hang, seems like part of that plan.

So does luring the American Psycho out of retirement, which they also just did. The shows with guys like that are becoming less marketable to me, but probably more so to the casual fan, at least until Bellator later is viewed as a senior tour farce.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#577 » by skflives » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Bernman wrote:

I think him being done dirty is part of the reason why they cut him. He probably asked for it so he could get an opportunity soon in the UFC, and they obliged. Which would be good for him, but something an organization doesn't do if they're truly trying to be a competitor. Instead they try to make it up to him in their own organization. But since Coker took over, it's appeared that Bellator isn't truly trying to compete w/ UFC anymore. It more so appears they are trying to sell shows in the short-term while prepping the promotion for sale. Letting go of good but not marketable fighters under their banner, like Vegh and Sham, so they can go to the UFC soon and prove guys in Bellator can hang, seems like part of that plan.

So does luring the American Psycho out of retirement, which they also just did. The shows with guys like that are becoming less marketable to me, but probably more so to the casual fan, at least until Bellator later is viewed as a senior tour farce.

:nonono:
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#578 » by SDM » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Ray Sefo on Goldberg's podcast.

Not much of note, except that he's in favour of a fighters union, which is interesting considering his current role.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#579 » by Shaazzam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:56 pm

ben askren with a serious ass whipping in ONE FC
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#580 » by Jasen777 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Shaazzam wrote:ben askren with a serious ass whipping in ONE FC

I would like to see Askren fight someone who can wrestle again (or Diaz I'd pay to see him noogie Diaz for 15 minutes while Diaz's only defense is the bird flip).

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts