UFC 174 (6/14): Johnson vs. Bagautinov, Rory vs. TWood

Moderator: lilfishi22

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: UFC 174 (6/14): Johnson vs. Bagautinov, Rory vs. TWood 

Post#41 » by Headliner » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:It's funny that a few posters from Canada, don't like Hendricks. You mad? :lol:

Who said they didn't like him? No one did. Two Canadians posted and one guy said he thinks Rory would win due to reach, the other said rory would get knocked out...a little sensitive aren't we lol
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#42 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Headliner wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:It's funny that a few posters from Canada, don't like Hendricks. You mad? :lol:

Who said they didn't like him? No one did. Two Canadians posted and one guy said he thinks Rory would win due to reach, the other said rory would get knocked out...a little sensitive aren't we lol

I'm not sensitive at all. It is funny though.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#43 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:18 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Man, this event is going to be a major failure for the org. A poor card on paper and nothing that happened night-of overcame it. Two pages here, low turn-out at bars (as above)...the buy-rate might be pathetic. That much closer to Dana dying in a ditch.

Every time some sh*t card comes together and it has a few decent fights (sometimes legit, sometimes due to low expectations), we always hear how the meh cards on paper always deliver and are so great, etc.

Its just confirmation bias imo. When it happens, its remarkable. When last night happens, crappy card on paper and just as bad in action...nobody says a word about that supposed little phenomenon.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#44 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm

I honestly think Woodley was a little overrated going into this fight. It was less than two years ago when he was getting the brakes beaten off of him by Nate Marquardt with combos that I couldn't recreate using Bruce Lee on the new EA UFC game.

And he hasn't done too terribly much since. He lost to Shields, he KOed old Koscheck. I give it to him that he looked really good against Condit.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#45 » by CPT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Top shelf detective work. :roll:

Mad at what, though? That he beat TJ Grant?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#46 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:22 pm

He's the Kanuck Killer, bro. And such a likeable guy, it's gotta be Canadian resentment behind this...dribble of...indistinct comments.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#47 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Jabouin is looking great so far, halfway through, in this fight. Beautiful stuff.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#48 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:30 pm

CPT wrote:

That he stomped the sh*t out of your hero GSP. And now you're hoping Rory becomes champ.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#49 » by CPT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:36 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
CPT wrote:

That he stomped the sh*t out of your hero GSP. And now you're hoping Rory becomes champ.

I said I hope Hendricks knocks his head off. Poor reading comprehension.

GSP won the fight. Poor life comprehension.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#50 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Damn that card sucked. I take back what I said about it being better off as a Fox card because most Fox cards are better than this garbage. The top 2 fights were very one-sided but technical. The rest was a steaming pile of dog doo doo.

The Bang/Kajun fight was some serious regional-level ****. Bang was swinging like a wild man but he was slow as hell. Jimmo/OSP was boring as expected. Easton/Yves wasn't too bad. The women bout was a decent scrap. Kunimoto/Sarafian was a nice finish but neither fighters looked good. AA/Schaub was yeah...enough said.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,793

Post#51 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 am

Yeah, there was some talk of Benson Henderson being a huge draw but I think a lot of that was that the event before and after his event were garbage. Not to hate on Ben, but I don't think that he's the huge draw that some people were making him out to be.

Mighty Mouse is really good, but I could see him losing to Dodson, Creepy, or Benavidez. I think in order to be considered the best P4P you have to have a level of invincibility. Mighty Mouse is getting there but he's not there yet. Also losing to Dominick Cruz hurt him. People believe that P4P greats can beat the champ above them, but since MM actually fought the champ above him and lost, he can't have that aura.

Rory is good, but I don't see him beating Hendricks. Hendricks won't freeze against Rory. Hendricks has gone forward, swung his right and gotten the takedown against everyone he's fought. Rory has really good takedown defense stats, but he's never faced a wrestler like Hendricks.

Yeah, the card sucked. Brock and GSP were the sports biggest draws and they're retired. Jones is fantastic but isn't as popular as Liddell. Showtime is entertaining but he's been injured and hasn't been a draw like BJ Penn. Sonnen just retired. I guess Anderson Silva is going to fight Nick Diaz and that fight should do well. Machida vs. Weidman should do well. If Showtime can stay healthy he should become a draw. Jones-Gus and Jones-Cormier should do well, and Cain should become a star if he keeps on winning, but right now things don't look good.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#52 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:22 am

CPT wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
CPT wrote:

I said I hope Hendricks knocks his head off. Poor reading comprehension.

GSP won the fight. Poor life comprehension.

:roll:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:41 am

NZB2323 wrote:Yeah, there was some talk of Benson Henderson being a huge draw but I think a lot of that was that the event before and after his event were garbage. Not to hate on Ben, but I don't think that he's the huge draw that some people were making him out to be.

I don't think Ben was ever a big draw. Most lighter weights in general aren't a big draw (outside of maybe BJ) no matter how dominant they are. I mean, look at MM, Aldo, Barao, Edgar, Benson. Pettis may buck that trend if he can somehow stay healthy for more than 6 months and actually build on some consistent showings.
Mighty Mouse is really good, but I could see him losing to Dodson, Creepy, or Benavidez. I think in order to be considered the best P4P you have to have a level of invincibility. Mighty Mouse is getting there but he's not there yet. Also losing to Dominick Cruz hurt him. People believe that P4P greats can beat the champ above them, but since MM actually fought the champ above him and lost, he can't have that aura.

MM isn't on the same streak as the top P4P guys but like those top guys, he's virtually cleared his division to the point where the only challenges are rematches. Joe B had a good crack the first time around but MM put an end to all question marks in their second fight. He put away Moraga as well. The reason why he isn't fighting more often and putting together a streak like Aldo and Jones is because there aren't enough legitimate challenges for him.

The point of P4P has nothing to do with actually fighting and beating the champion of the weight class just above you or below you. It's a hypothetical ranking which compares you against other fighters of ALL different weights based on win streaks, quality of opponents and also how they would stack up against each other if they were the same weight. Beating a championi above your weight would certainly help your case but that isn't the point of it.
NZB2323 wrote:Rory is good, but I don't see him beating Hendricks. Hendricks won't freeze against Rory. Hendricks has gone forward, swung his right and gotten the takedown against everyone he's fought. Rory has really good takedown defense stats, but he's never faced a wrestler like Hendricks.
Yeah, the card sucked. Brock and GSP were the sports biggest draws and they're retired. Jones is fantastic but isn't as popular as Liddell. Showtime is entertaining but he's been injured and hasn't been a draw like BJ Penn. Sonnen just retired. I guess Anderson Silva is going to fight Nick Diaz and that fight should do well. Machida vs. Weidman should do well. If Showtime can stay healthy he should become a draw. Jones-Gus and Jones-Cormier should do well, and Cain should become a star if he keeps on winning, but right now things don't look good.

Things hasn't look good because the UFC has spread themselves too thin, in my opinion. Having more cards every year means there are more fights but it also means they are lowering the level of competition of each card just to fill those cards. Also having more cards doesn't necessarily mean the draws will actually fight more often.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#54 » by REDDzone » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 am

I have to say, the only Canadian homerism I see on this board CONSISTENTLY is the lack of Anthony Pettis on these hottest mma fighter lists that we make all the time.

Don't fight it bruhs, just let it happen.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#55 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:21 am

It's hard to put Pettis on that list when he fights so sporadically. By definition, you can only be hot if you're popular at the time. He's had 5 fights in the last 4 years and his last fight was last August with his next fight (barring injury) being late this year.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,793

Post#56 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:49 am

lilfishi22 wrote:It's hard to put Pettis on that list when he fights so sporadically. By definition, you can only be hot if you're popular at the time. He's had 5 fights in the last 4 years and his last fight was last August with his next fight (barring injury) being late this year.

By hottest he means Sexy.

For P4P I think that Anderson had the perception that he could fight at LHW and take that belt if he wanted to. Some people believe that Aldo could take the LW belt or that Jones could take the HW belt. Because MM lost soundly to Cruz, no one will believe that he can take the belt above him. It's not fair, but P4P is all about perception and bull. Sonnen was right when he said arguing P4P is like arguing if Batman could beat Superman in a fight.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#57 » by REDDzone » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 am

NZB2323 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:It's hard to put Pettis on that list when he fights so sporadically. By definition, you can only be hot if you're popular at the time. He's had 5 fights in the last 4 years and his last fight was last August with his next fight (barring injury) being late this year.

For P4P I think that Anderson had the perception that he could fight at LHW and take that belt if he wanted to. Some people believe that Aldo could take the LW belt or that Jones could take the HW belt. Because MM lost soundly to Cruz, no one will believe that he can take the belt above him. It's not fair, but P4P is all about perception and bull. Sonnen was right when he said arguing P4P is like arguing if Batman could beat Superman in a fight.

I agree but also think MM doesn't get as much respect because 125 is so underdeveloped.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#58 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 am

NZB2323 wrote:

My bad. I still wouldn't though only because Sexyama would occupy those top 5 spots.

P4P is purely subjective anyway since the majority of those fights could never take place.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#59 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:31 pm

I will be doing a Sexsiest MMA Fighters: Addendum some time soon. I keep noticing new talent.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#60 » by blkout » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:22 am

cowboyronnie wrote:I will be doing a Sexsiest MMA Fighters: Addendum some time soon. I keep noticing new talent.

Cathal Pendred better make the list somewhere.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts