UFC 175 (7/5): Weidman/Machida, Rousey/Davis

Moderator: lilfishi22

Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,216

Re: UFC 175 (7/5): Weidman/Machida, Rousey/Davis 

Post#141 » by Mehar » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:12 am

Los Manos wrote:Weidman is still Mr Underwhelming.

Do not know if you are joking or serious. Machida is a great fighter, and Weidman clearly beat him 4 rounds to 1. He also knocked out the Greatest MW of all time. Maybe that is underwhelming to you i guess.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#142 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 12:25 pm

CPT wrote:So who is going to be the one to mention Ronda's boobs?

Looks like she got some new ones.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#143 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 12:28 pm

Why was Brimage/Doane fight on PPV and Faber fight on undercard? :dontknow:
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#144 » by CPT » Sun Jul 6, 2014 1:09 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Why was Brimage/Doane fight on PPV and Faber fight on undercard? :dontknow:

I think Faber's fight was on the prelims for 2 reasons.

1) Pressure from Fox. As much good as it's probably done for the UFC overall, they have been making some terrible decisions since the Fox deal. Makes you wonder who is really pulling the strings sometimes.

2) A PPV lead in (I still wonder how often this actually works. Who is sitting on the fence for Weidman/Machida, but is going to get so riled up by a Faber/Bruce Leroy fight that they shell out 60 bucks?)

As for why Brimage/Doane was on PPV....

I have no **** idea.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,732

Post#145 » by cgf » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:57 pm

REDDzone wrote:Btw glad I didn't have to turn away from the Struve fight. Hopefully the UFC realizes the dodged a bullet tonight and tells the dude to take it easy. Bruh, your heart is leaking, your mma days may be behind you.

Right? I'd love to have a german in MMA, but I won't watch Struve try to kill himself again.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#146 » by cgf » Sun Jul 6, 2014 4:00 pm

Jasen777 wrote:Surprised so many gave Weidman the 5th. One judge gave Machida the 2nd. The 8 is unusual, but IIRC that was more decisive than the first two rounds. We needs more 8's imo.

I think this sport needs more 10-8s, more 10-7s and more 10-10s. The first two rounds where very close, they next two weren't nearly as close, so if you give out 10-9s for rounds 3 and 4, those first two should've been 10-10s, or both men should've gotten 10-8s if the first rounds were scored 10-9s. Either way Weidman wins by a round.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#147 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 6, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't know how someone would rationally be unimpressed by Weidman still. He won the fight clearly against Machida, and swept a double against the GOAT. Maybe it's not rational, and you're still just bitter that he beat your boy and trying to back up your original statement that those fights were flukes.

Machida is my boy, but that makes it all the more reason I'm impressed with what Weidman did, again. He showed no fear of Machida's striking and stood in his kitchen almost all night while still cooking up a clear victory.

Do I think Machida could have made the adjustment earlier and won? Maybe, but that would have meant changing his normal style of methodically setting up counter rushes and single explosive lead strikes. The way Weidman was pressuring him, he needed to technical brawl to win. Surprisingly he did pretty well in the 4th round when he switched to that tactic, but it was too late, with Weidman possessing an iron chin. He needed to change his gameplan starting in the 2nd round to have a decent chance. Weidman won the fight in part due to his superior gameplan coming in, that plus his size, and varied approach.

With the knowledge Machida has now, I'd like to see that rematch, but not b4 he wins another fight and a different contender gets his shot in between.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#148 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 6, 2014 4:31 pm

Both Weidman and Ronda said they want to fight again on the nye card, btw. Gives credence to the fact that CW wants 2 fights a year.

Wonder why Ronda backed off her "ill step in for Aldo" stance so quickly? She got a lot of bro props for saying that lol.

Btw barao/dillashaw is confirmed. They had previews for it during the ppv. They said something akin to it being a war or some such. LOL.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#149 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 6, 2014 4:42 pm

That's a rematch nobody wanted to see. With Dillashaw winning, that actually made Assuncao salable as a title challenger finally, considering he technically beat Dillashaw the first time. UFC dropped the ball if Assuncao was available and they still didn't make that fight. If Barao wins, UFC is back to having no other marketable title challengers, and I don't know why they'd want Barao to be their champion so badly. Trying to save face because they said he's one of about 8 fighters who should be #1 p4p?

Honda ascended into the tie for first last night. Gil was asked on ESPN last night if she deserved that distinction and he was pretty uncomfortable with the question because he knows if she fought in the men's 135 lb division she probably wouldn't be top 100. She's a beast....for a chick. Her dominance is a combo of a tribute to her excellence as well as an indictment of women's MMA which is so thin.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Post#150 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Jul 6, 2014 5:20 pm

Pardon my ignorance, Honda who? >><< Sorry! Heh!
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#151 » by Headliner » Sun Jul 6, 2014 5:32 pm

REDDzone wrote:Both Weidman and Ronda said they want to fight again on the nye card, btw. Gives credence to the fact that CW wants 2 fights a year.

Wonder why Ronda backed off her "ill step in for Aldo" stance so quickly? She got a lot of bro props for saying that lol.

Btw barao/dillashaw is confirmed. They had previews for it during the ppv. They said something akin to it being a war or some such. LOL.

They should her at the end of the ppv, he knuckle split open deep. She's got some heavy stitches and won't be able to punch for awhile, so they ruled her out immediately.

Another huge blow for the ufc.
But seriously, they need to find some real competition for her. 16 seconds? Come on...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#152 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 6, 2014 6:05 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Lolz, true as well! I was being nice! >< Hehe!

Yeah wow Struve & Mitrione is off! Dang! Poopy!

LOLed hard at this post btw.

"Dang! Poopy!"

lmao.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cgf
RealGM

Post#153 » by cgf » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:43 pm

CPT wrote:
cgf wrote:I want another machida-weidman fight.

Meh.

Weidman won pretty convincingly in the end...I'd need to see a lot from a 36 year old Machida to think he'd do better in a rematch.

Good fight, but enough with the rematches already.

The judges may have submitted some decisive score cards but I disagree with saying he won convincingly, especially since lyoto came closest to a finish had he snuck a headkick through while weidman was in lala land in the 4th. Weidman won and deserved to win, but that fight could've easily ended very differently.

There's plenty of reason to think lyoto would do better in a re-match. Re-watching the fight you see how how much he's putting into timing and spacing the chris in these early rounds, now that he's got that timing and spacing he could focus on tiring the chris and taking his energy away with those body kicks he figured out how to sneak in. If the Chris gases earlier, or lyoto hits him with one of those head kicks that dropped munoz and randy once he does gas, Machida is our MW champ right now.

Given how fun this fight was I'd love a re-match after both guys have dealt with what's in front of them, Jacare and Vitor for the Chris, Rockhold and another contender like vitor's trt-less corpse after the chris rocks him for Lyoto. Not calling for an instant re-match, but assuming both win their next 2-3 fights, I'd be down for a second fight sometime next summer.

As an aside I was really happy to see chris kicking so crisply. That was something he hadn't shown yet, but that I assumed he'd be focusing on to better control distance with lyoto. Wasn't the brutal leg kick display shogun used against machida, but was impressive progress nonetheless.

ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#154 » by ReaLiez » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:47 pm

Machida fought very well - what a legend,

last two rounds were Machidas - he might not have beaten the champ but its not like the champ dominated either
Justice
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#155 » by Hilltop » Sun Jul 6, 2014 8:54 pm

ReaLiez wrote:Machida fought very well - what a legend,

last two rounds were Machidas - he might not have beaten the champ but its not like the champ dominated either

The champ dominated him. He did not finish, but he dominated.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#156 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:35 pm

Yeah, I think a re-match could go either way. It was pretty close IMO. Not sure if there are adjustments to be made but quite possibly Weidman's gameplan was a surprise to Lyoto's camp...it definitey was very effective...the gameplan, above and beyond the skills. Coaching contributed. So re-match, yes.

Great fight. Loved it.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#157 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:Both Weidman and Ronda said they want to fight again on the nye card, btw. Gives credence to the fact that CW wants 2 fights a year.

Watch Dana's reaction as Rogan parts ways with Honda after that post-fight interview. He's PISSED. He clearly had not wanted Rousey to be asked that.

Joe seems to have realized it shouldn't have been asked even before he's done the interview.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#158 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:59 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:

Watch Dana's reaction as Rogan parts ways with Honda after that post-fight interview. He's PISSED. He clearly had not wanted Rousey to be asked that.

Joe seems to have realized it shouldn't have been asked even before he's done the interview.

He said at the presser that he wasn't mad at Joe. But then he said "trust me nobody told anyone to ask her anything". So that could just end up being awkward between them, Joe doesn't seem the type to just roll over when Dana lies. Unless he meant that nobody gave the guys in the back the authorization to tell Joe to ask that, which is possible.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#159 » by blkout » Sun Jul 6, 2014 11:42 pm

As great as Rousey was, I still feel like any female 135er with power (do they exist?) would've knocked her head off in those opening exchanges. That's like the third fight in a row where someone's landed clean on her standing before she's mauled them to death. That said, I'm coming around on her. She's a douche but you can't not be impressed by her.

Weidman, I dunno. He was really good but I'm not the biggest current-Machida fan and the Silva victories did nothing for me but I don't really see anyone at MW beating him any time soon (juiced up Vitor would have but that won't happen now) yet I still just think "meh" whenever I hear his name. Makes no sense to me. Completely forgot Hendricks was a champion also.

Dillashaw/Barao is fine with me. If Dillashaw dominates the same way again, and continues that, he could really bring the 135 division into the spotlight. We've got a boring champion at MW, a guy with the charisma of a sock puppet at WW and a guy who never fights at LW, providing he can talk, TJ could make some moves here I think.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#160 » by GSP » Mon Jul 7, 2014 10:47 am

Weidmans the real deal i knew he had Andys number but i didnt think hed be able to beat Lyoto as easily as he did. Thats the worst matchup in the division for him. Now its Luke, Jacare and Gegard that provide the toughest tests maybe Yoel

2nd best fighter in the world IMO behind Aldo

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts