UFC 178 (9/27): Johnson vs. Cariaso (Jones/DC off)

Moderator: lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,500

Re: UFC 178 (9/27): Johnson vs. Cariaso (Jones/DC off) 

Post#301 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 am

spykelee wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
spykelee wrote:Robin Black is an amazing analyst. I love his insights and knowledge, as well as his delivery and on camera presence. Great find on that GIF.

Is he the same former glam rocker turned MMA fighter Robin Black? Or are they different dudes?

But yeah, watched a few of his break down videos and they are insightful.

That is him, yes.

Robin Black is a Canadian glam rock band, originally known as Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rock Stars

Frontman Robin also made an appearance on Showcase's TV series KinK. Black was also a judge on the 2006 Much Music VJ Search. He holds a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Robin also won the 2008 Naga world championships. He now trains at Xtreme Couture in Toronto alongside with other fighters such as Mark Hominick, Mark Bocek, and Rob Di Censo.

Damn I watched an interview with him back in 2008 and that dude has aged
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#302 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am

Ebersole ...those cartwheel kicks back in the day were dumb and ineffective. I don't know if he's ever been exciting.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#303 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:34 am

Demetrious Johnson: $183,000 (includes $54,000 win bonus)
Chris Cariaso: $24,000

Donald Cerrone: $126,000 (includes $63,000 win bonus)
Eddie Alvarez: $100,000

Conor McGregor: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
Dustin Poirier: $34,000

Yoel Romero: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
Tim Kennedy: $70,000

Cat Zingano: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus)
Amanda Nunes: $15,000

Dominick Cruz: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)
Takeya Mizugaki: $32,000

LOL!

So many 10 year+ veterans on this card, McGregor right there at the top of the payscale.

Mind you, if Eddie is contracted at 100/100, he actually has the best contract of the bunch.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#304 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Ebersole ...those cartwheel kicks back in the day were dumb and ineffective. I don't know if he's ever been exciting.

Watching a highlight, he has landed it for a KO. That's pretty awesome. In a ring against a E-Asian fellow. OK.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#305 » by SDM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:23 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Ebersole ...those cartwheel kicks back in the day were dumb and ineffective. I don't know if he's ever been exciting.

He leveled someone in UFC with one, but couldn't finish... can't remember who.
SDM
RealGM

Post#306 » by SDM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
spykelee wrote:Robin Black is an amazing analyst. I love his insights and knowledge, as well as his delivery and on camera presence. Great find on that GIF.

Is he the same former glam rocker turned MMA fighter Robin Black? Or are they different dudes?

But yeah, watched a few of his break down videos and they are insightful.

Great analyst, terrible fighter, even worse musician.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#307 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:45 pm

SDM wrote:

He leveled someone in UFC with one, but couldn't finish... can't remember who.

The dude who beat Dan Hardy then retired. Who wanted to box Roy Jones lol, can't think of his name either.

edit: Okay, now I've had my coffee...Lytle.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#308 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm

So Conor is being taken to Brazil to watch Mendes/Aldo. Could you even imagine the travesty of him getting the title shot if Cub beats Edgar? I almost wish Cub could just wait for the shot and Edgar/Conor could get winner.

Big if, but Swanson would be 7-1 in the ufc with wins over Edgar, Stephens, Siver, Poirier, Oliveira, Pearson, Roop.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM

Post#309 » by SDM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:56 pm

A win over Edgar gets you an immediate title shot. He only loses to champions.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,222

Post#310 » by Shaazzam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 pm

yeah, if cub beats edgar he should get the title shot
let conor fight edgar or mendes then
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#311 » by Bernman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Or, Aldo like he's long wanted to, moves up with Khabib injured and Cerrone the alternative, and fights Pettis after he dispatches of Melendez.

Then at 145, McGregor and Cub fight, in a thrilling stylistic contest and grudge match, for the vacant belt.

That for me would serve all purposes, including Cub fighting for the title next, which to me (like many others here) is the most important. He's had to wait for an eternity for his shot, and Conor sure as hell doesn't deserve it over him. I'm not averse to McGregor fighting for the title next, but not if there is a much better alternative which there is at least one.

I just hope Conor with his big mouth doesn't pressure Aldo to stay at 145 and the UFC to make that match ASAP, with Cub being left hanging yet again.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#312 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Bernman wrote:Or, Aldo like he's long wanted to, moves up with Khabib injured and Cerrone the alternative, and fights Pettis after he dispatches of Melendez.

When is the RDA fight? I would hope that he is the alternative over Cerrone.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#313 » by Bernman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:When is the RDA fight? I would hope that he is the alternative over Cerrone.

He got beaten soundly by Khabib just 5+ months ago. So neither he nor Cerrone should be getting next dibs after Gil.

I think it's Pettis-Aldo time, and this time the UFC shouldn't schedule it 6-7 months away. That was ridiculous. A lot can happen in that time. 3 months after Pettis-Melendez, especially if Pettis dispatches him earlier and doesn't pick up an injury in the process. PPV or blockbuster on Fox to gain momentum with the mainstream - it shouldn't matter. They should be flexible to make it happen. People will buy it with that much build-up. Most of the meaningful hype for fights is generated the week or two immediately previous, the rest is forgotten, thus is our nature. Part of the reason for all these cancellations is they want long, drawn out hype for fights. The costs outweigh the benefits, IMO.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#314 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:07 am

Cody Gibson looked great in the event opener. Got subbed eventually but had controlled Manvil pretty easily on the feet, even shucked him a couple times with nice standing grappling.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#315 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:40 am

REDDzone wrote:
Bernman wrote:Or, Aldo like he's long wanted to, moves up with Khabib injured and Cerrone the alternative, and fights Pettis after he dispatches of Melendez.

I don't think so. Diaz hasn't fought in almost a year and he's 1-2 in his last 3 with his only win against Gray. I don't see a win over Diaz putting him over the top.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#316 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 2, 2014 12:07 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I don't think so. Diaz hasn't fought in almost a year and he's 1-2 in his last 3 with his only win against Gray. I don't see a win over Diaz putting him over the top.

I'm saying he should already be over Cerrone easily. The Diaz fight was put together because Diaz basically said pay me more or give me a big fight or else I'm not fighting, so the ufc gave him a big fight with the same contract.

RDA already beat Cerrone, recently. Bendo is a bigger win than Cerrone has ever had in his whole career.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#317 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 11:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I'm saying he should already be over Cerrone easily. The Diaz fight was put together because Diaz basically said pay me more or give me a big fight or else I'm not fighting, so the ufc gave him a big fight with the same contract.

RDA already beat Cerrone, recently. Bendo is a bigger win than Cerrone has ever had in his whole career.

After Cerrone beat Alvarez, I think that puts him right up there with RDA considering he's finished 4 of his past fights before that. The only reason I'll give RDA the nod over Cowboy is because Cowboy has already had his shot at the title multiple times and had failed each one and also has a loss against the current champ.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#318 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 2, 2014 11:52 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:After Cerrone beat Alvarez, I think that puts him right up there with RDA considering he's finished 4 of his past fights before that. The only reason I'll give RDA the nod over Cowboy is because Cowboy has already had his shot at the title multiple times and had failed each one and also has a loss against the current champ.

That's a good reason. But regardless, RDA beat up Cerrone recently and his most recent finish was a bigger win than Cerrone has ever had and was over a guy who whooped Cowboy twice.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#319 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 11:59 pm

RDA cracking Benson is a lot more impressive than Cowboy cracking Miller and Barboza, I'll give you that.

I'm still gunning for Aldo v Pettis but it'll never happen. Too many potential injuries between them.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#320 » by Bernman » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:53 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:RDA cracking Benson is a lot more impressive than Cowboy cracking Miller and Barboza, I'll give you that.

I'm still gunning for Aldo v Pettis but it'll never happen. Too many potential injuries between them.

There's not. That was one string, and this time they can not just schedule it so far out for hype purposes or because Aldo wants a ton of prep time for a creative fighter (or whatever the reason was). Also, it's easier if they do it at 155 where Pettis doesn't have to cut an unhealthy amount of weight. They should do it a few months after Pettis' 1st defense, with Khabib sidelined, and Cub deserving, but it looks like they really want McGregor-Aldo to happen. I think that's short-sighted as f**k, but it's seemingly going down.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts