UFC 179 (10/25): Aldo vs. Mendes II

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 176 (8/2): Aldo vs. Mendes II 

Post#21 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 3, 2014 10:02 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I mean, I'd give Cub first shot at it, but he is coming off a pretty brutal fight with Stephens. So I doubt he is an option. It sucks for Cub, but the UFC is not going to piss away a PPV for fear he might get mad. He will get his shot.

McGregor is less optimal for that exact reason.

To be frank, Edgar isn't even close to deserving it. Plus, if it was McGregor, I'd imagine that Jacare/Mousasi would be the main event and draw more than McGregor/Mendes anyway. In the grand scheme of things, people don't even really know who McGregor is. Its been a year since he's fought in a meh performance.

I agree with you about Rousey for sure.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#22 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 10:28 pm

REDDzone wrote:To be frank, Edgar isn't even close to deserving it.

I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but excellent pun regardless.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#23 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:44 am

This event has officially been canceled.

LOL @ the ufc.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#24 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:45 am

Hopefully somehow someway these fights will be dispersed in such a manner that some of the upcoming events will be worth watching.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: UFC 176 (8/2): Aldo vs. Mendes II (CANCELLED) 

Post#25 » by CPT » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:51 am

I hope they lost a bunch of money.

Stop trying to sell garbage cards.

It would actually be a good Fight Night card, but there are probably logistical reasons why they can't just change it to a free event.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:13 am

Jacre vs Moose would've been a fantastic headliner for a FN card. Even a Fox card would be decent considering how much they like to have lightweight title fights or #1 contender bouts on there.

Hopefully they all move to 177 since the only announced fight is the Barao vs Dillashaw bout.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#27 » by CPT » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:03 pm

Since been taken down.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#28 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:05 pm

Weve heard a lot people find out a lot of things via social media over the years, in fact.

They need to develop a phone tree.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#29 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:11 pm

Yea man, that's almost always how guys hear that they were cut. Kind of a weird thing.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#30 » by blkout » Wed Jul 9, 2014 11:53 pm

Maybe I'm naive but surely instead of canceling this couldn't they have just put it on Fight Pass or something?
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#31 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:28 am

REDDzone wrote:Hopefully somehow someway these fights will be dispersed in such a manner that some of the upcoming events will be worth watching.

If they made that consideration beforehand more often, these cancellations wouldn't be happening. It's crazy to have to cancel any events, let alone two. It's a logistical, monetary, and p.r. nightmare.

Hopefully this doesn't only strengthen the subsequent cards these fights will be dispersed to, but also is the straw that breaks the camel back as far as doing that for future events too. Catering to fans wasn't enough of an incentive to make a change obviously, when it wasn't destroying them in the pocket book and making them uncomfortable enough doing things as they were.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#32 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:40 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Weve heard a lot people find out a lot of things via social media over the years, in fact.

They need to develop a phone tree.

It's pretty damn unprofessional. It's like being the lead in a long work project only to have it cancelled and finding out from the janitor.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#33 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:41 am

Bernman wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Hopefully somehow someway these fights will be dispersed in such a manner that some of the upcoming events will be worth watching.

If they made that consideration beforehand more often, these cancellations wouldn't be happening. It's crazy to have to cancel any events, let alone two. It's a logistical, monetary, and p.r. nightmare.

Hopefully this doesn't only strengthen the subsequent cards these fights will be dispersed to, but also is the straw that breaks the camel back as far as doing that for future events too. Catering to fans wasn't enough of an incentive to make a change obviously, when it wasn't destroying them in the pocket book and making them uncomfortable enough doing things as they were.

IDK man, they didn't learn from 151. And that was almost more justifiable. Jones is a big star, and it still sucks but its probably at least MORE justified to build a card around him.

Instead of learning from that mistake, they build crap cards under even lesser draws like DJ, Aldo, Barao.
da pmp
Senior
And1: 168

Post#34 » by da pmp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

CPT wrote:How many fights has Aldo pulled out of now?

Not suggesting anything about him, other than being injury prone or having bad luck.

Just seems like a lot.

It's not a coincidence IMO. Mendes says the guy is juicing and that is more than likely true. The day after UFC made an announcement that they were going to step up their testing, this guy magically gets hurt
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#35 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:44 am

da pmp wrote:

Not suggesting anything about him, other than being injury prone or having bad luck.

Just seems like a lot.

It's not a coincidence IMO. Mendes says the guy is juicing and that is more than likely true. The day after UFC made an announcement that they were going to step up their testing, this guy magically gets hurt

That makes no sense. This guy isn't magically hurt, he has a long history of pulling out of events and longer than average layoffs due to injuries.

If he's been injury free for most of his career (like Mendes) and pulls out of the event right after additional testing is announced, then you have a point.
da pmp
Senior

Post#36 » by da pmp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:11 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
da pmp wrote:

Just seems like a lot.

That makes no sense. This guy isn't magically hurt, he has a long history of pulling out of events and longer than average layoffs due to injuries.

If he's been injury free for most of his career (like Mendes) and pulls out of the event right after additional testing is announced, then you have a point.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear

"The UFC was contacted from the California [State] Athletic Commission from my understanding, and was looking for contact information for all the fighters from UFC 176, and were informed they were going to do pre-fight drugs testing"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#37 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

da pmp wrote:

"The UFC was contacted from the California [State] Athletic Commission from my understanding, and was looking for contact information for all the fighters from UFC 176, and were informed they were going to do pre-fight drugs testing"

So a guy who regularly pulls out of events due to injuries is immediately a suspect for juicing because he's "magically" injured, again?

That has got to be the worst conclusion you could possibly come to.
da pmp
Senior

Post#38 » by da pmp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
da pmp wrote:

So a guy who regularly pulls out of events due to injuries is immediately a suspect for juicing because he's "magically" injured, again?

Ok, I get it your a Aldo fanboy. It's just a coincidence. Just about every fighter pulls out of fights like him.
I suspect you thought Chael and Wanderlei were clean too... :crazy:

Besides if Mendes thinks he's cheating, I'll take his opinion over yours
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#39 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm not an Aldo fan boy. But when you make roiding allegations, you better have some evidence to back it up otherwise in going to call you out for it.

Chael had pissed hot like three times in his career. Wandy was the biggest star in an organisation that was known for not testing for PEDs.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#40 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 pm

da pmp wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
da pmp wrote:

Ok, I get it your a Aldo fanboy. It's just a coincidence. Just about every fighter pulls out of fights like him.
I suspect you thought Chael and Wanderlei were clean too... :crazy:

Besides if Mendes thinks he's cheating, I'll take his opinion over yours

Aldo said Mendes was cheating first. Do you take his word for it? jw

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts