The Official Conor McGregor Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Re: The Official Conor McGregor Thread 

Post#41 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 am

Aldo's style is imposing if you don't have good foot work because he stalks you down and does a decent job of cutting angles with leg kicks but he's not particularly fast himself. I thought he had issues with guys with good foot work like Hominick and Faber. Also, Hominick,Edgar, Faber were primarily boxers/wrestle-boxers and didn't really have a reliable kicking game which meant they had to get much closer to do damage which is what got them in trouble with Aldo's vicious leg kicks.

If Conor can use his footwork to cut angles as he does so well and utilize a kick heavy game, I think he would be able to stay out of Aldo's kicking range. After all, Conor is taller and longer than Aldo. A lot of guys who fight Aldo just try to tank the leg kicks hoping to land their own offense but I think Conor is smart enough and good enough to deal damage without having to take any himself.

My only problem is Conor doesn't really check leg kicks and he will have to if he was to fight for the title.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#42 » by SDM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

I think he loses to Aldo, Mendes, Edgar, and Swanson.

Would agree with someone like Guida or Lentz as a test. I want to see how he'd deal with a guy who can and will try to smother him, the only fight I've seen involving his ground game was against Dave Hill, who is supposedly a top Irish grappler, but he's not an American wrestler.

Oliviera's looking for a fight... that one should sell more tickets than Guida or Lentz, so there's that.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#43 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 pm

SDM wrote:I think he loses to Aldo, Mendes, Edgar, and Swanson.

Would agree with someone like Guida or Lentz as a test. I want to see how he'd deal with a guy who can and will try to smother him, the only fight I've seen involving his ground game was against Dave Hill, who is supposedly a top Irish grappler, but he's not an American wrestler.

Oliviera's looking for a fight... that one should sell more tickets than Guida or Lentz, so there's that.

In theory, it's a good idea to give him another test but I feel and I think the UFC brass feel he's ready for a title shot. No way he's going backwards to get "tested" by the likes of Guida/Lentz/Oliviera. Honestly, the next guy for him is either the winner or Aldo/Mendes or Cub/Frankie. The guy is still young so he can rebound on from a loss but the hype right now is insane and I think the UFC would be right to try and cash in now with a big money fight.
SDM
RealGM

Post#44 » by SDM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:24 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
SDM wrote:I think he loses to Aldo, Mendes, Edgar, and Swanson.

In theory, it's a good idea to give him another test but I feel and I think the UFC brass feel he's ready for a title shot. No way he's going backwards to get "tested" by the likes of Guida/Lentz/Oliviera. Honestly, the next guy for him is either the winner or Aldo/Mendes or Cub/Frankie. The guy is still young so he can rebound on from a loss but the hype right now is insane and I think the UFC would be right to try and cash in now with a big money fight.

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right... they want to capitalize on his current hype, not try to build it up some more and risk Lentz/Guida or someone of that nature taking out their cash cow (then again, the loss to Guida only seemed to motivate Pettis to kill fools before it went to decision).

If they want a PPV headliner/co-main, they'll need to plug him in with a top guy. If they're content with him headlining Fox cards or another Euro or Asia card, they could do a bunch of stuff: KZ, Siver, etc. Now that I think of it, I'd like to see KZ/McGregor.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#45 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:34 pm

McGregor would mirk KZ as much as I love my some zombie. KZ is too hittable and he's no where near as technical as Holloway in the standup. His ground game is excellent but his takedowns are basic and I don't see McGregor having any issues stuffing those takedowns.

If they must give McGregor a #1 contender's fight, I'd give him Cub. I think stylistically he's closer to Aldo than anyone else in the top 4. Cub has power, he's technical but also dynamic.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#46 » by Susan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:49 pm

To me, Conor is like if you mixed Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva into one little Irish package. He's the first fighter the UFC has had maybe ever that's an equally dynamic personality and fighter. I don't like hyperbole but I truly believe he's the one who will bring this sport to the next level. His star is too bright not to.
Susan
RealGM

Post#47 » by Susan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw1zWYgFy6I[/youtube]
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#48 » by blkout » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 pm

He talks like a little kid trying to sound like an adult. "My elephant tusk ivory white suit" "professional inside, professional outside" what. It's entertaining but he is a dolt.
Susan
RealGM

Post#49 » by Susan » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:05 pm

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#50 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:33 pm

I think this move he keeps talking about making to 155 would be a baaaad idea.

I think 145 is good, but imo 155 is a freakin' shark tank.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#51 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 10:45 pm

REDDzone wrote:I think this move he keeps talking about making to 155 would be a baaaad idea.

I think 145 is good, but imo 155 is a freakin' shark tank.

Those top 10 guys at 155 are monsters. Most of them are too fast, too strong, too big and too experienced.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by blkout » Wed Oct 1, 2014 10:59 pm

Yeah I think he should be looking at 135 if he's going to go anywhere. Not sure if he could even drop the weight but 155 would be a bad idea. I'd love to see him vs Pettis though.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 11:28 pm

I'd pay to see Pettis and McGregor. Heck, I'd pay to watch McGregor vs anyone. Dude is a freaking star. Just watching the lead up to the fight is entertainment in itself.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#54 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:08 am

blkout wrote:Yeah I think he should be looking at 135 if he's going to go anywhere. Not sure if he could even drop the weight but 155 would be a bad idea. I'd love to see him vs Pettis though.

I mean who knows, but he said he wants to fight in three divisions and those are fw, lw, and ww. Never mentioned going down, but going up two weight classes. Said he hates cutting all the weight to make fw and said he feels great at lw and has fought a lot at lw. Said he feels faster there. I'd be pretty floored if we saw him at 135.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#55 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:37 am

REDDzone wrote:
blkout wrote:Yeah I think he should be looking at 135 if he's going to go anywhere. Not sure if he could even drop the weight but 155 would be a bad idea. I'd love to see him vs Pettis though.

I mean who knows, but he said he wants to fight in three divisions and those are fw, lw, and ww. Never mentioned going down, but going up two weight classes. Said he hates cutting all the weight to make fw and said he feels great at lw and has fought a lot at lw. Said he feels faster there. I'd be pretty floored if we saw him at 135.

He already said 145 is a hard cut so 135 is probably out of the equation. He probably could do it but it would be detrimental to his health and fighting ability.

WW is probably no weight-cutting or very little. LW is probably an easy cut.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#56 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:19 am

REDDzone wrote:I mean who knows, but he said he wants to fight in three divisions and those are fw, lw, and ww.

I'd pay to see him fight Askren :lol: LW for him is a bad idea (as long as he can safely make 145), but WW is just stupid.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by blkout » Thu Oct 2, 2014 10:28 am

He would get obliterated at WW
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#58 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:20 pm

McGregor announces on twitter that he is moving up to 155 and fighting Diego Sanchez,

http://www.bjpenn.com/conor-mcgregor-an ... o-sanchez/
SDM
RealGM

Post#59 » by SDM » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:34 pm

155 is his long-term division so it makes sense. Diego's just not the right partner.

Diego might even be a step back from Poirier in terms of overall P4P relevance and it poses another problem of potentially getting f'd by the judges. It's not impressive to beat Diego these days and he can easily squeak out some BS decision based on his "fearlessness" or whatever.

Only reason I see him taking this fight is that he thinks he can finish Diego, which only Penn has done (via doctor stoppage).
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#60 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 2, 2014 4:37 pm

Dana tweeted that Conor was lying, that fight isn't happening, and that basically Conor is a nut.

Either way, I'm so happy that we don't have to watch him punch the corpse of Diego Sanchez. This is a guy who was getting beat up by GOMI like 1.5 years ago, Conor might murder him.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts