UFC Fight Night 52 (9/20) Hunt vs. Nelson (Japan, FP)

Moderator: lilfishi22

Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Re: UFC Fight Night 52 (9/20) Hunt vs. Nelson (Japan, FP) 

Post#21 » by Hilltop » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 am

SDM wrote:
Hilltop wrote:This has the potential to look very much like Hunt's last fight.

It will be exciting but I'm not sure if my conscience can take watching two guys swinging lunchboxes at each other's braincases for 5 rounds again.

I still shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds, so my conscience is OK.

I wanna see someone concussed.

LMAO
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Post#22 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Is this tonight/this "morning": http://mmajunkie.com/events/ufc-fight-night-in-japan

Or Sat night/early AM/morning? Thanks! Eastern time zone.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#23 » by Jasen777 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 am

Fight Pass - 3 AM EST Saturday. Even if I had fight pass, I couldn't watch it live.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#24 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 am

I've also been trying to get confirmation. It's Friday night into Sat AM, essentially. w00t!

I like this card.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,673

Post#25 » by NZB2323 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:20 am

Why is this fight not on Fox Sports 1? I bought that channel to watch UFC fights that weren't PPV.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#26 » by CPT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:45 am

Nice. With all of the Korean fighters on it, it should be live on TV here. Although they may edit it to make Akiyama's fight the main event or something.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#27 » by spykelee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:20 am

Saw most of this card and there was some decent fights...

Kyung Ho Kang vs. Michinori Tanaka is certainly worth a watch if you like a fast paced grappling match. And of course you can't go wrong with the main event. Give a look to Katsunori Kikuno vs. Sam Sicilia, Johnny Case vs. Kazuki Tokudome and Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Jon Delos Reyes
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:38 pm

So it WAS this morning?!?! Bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!! I could have stayed up and watched/streamed it live!

Frick!! Dang nab it!! Argh! :(

Now I have to play the game of *trying* to avoid spoilers which will be next to impossible!

Freaking facebook & yahoo.ca/.com are the biggest culprits! Ugh! :(

#1stworldproblems
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#29 » by REDDzone » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Spontaneously made two bets before bed last night...woke up to find out I had lost both.

Bleh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#30 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Fat is functional, who looks more relaxed in the octagon than Hunt, Nelson...DC, Fedor? No shredded, V-backed mesomorphs, you can sure. Both guys hips looked amazing last night. Nelson's ability to keep his body weight shifted on the back foot and give the smoothest twitch into those hips for an uppercut or for an overhand is mind-boggling. You're not gonna see that from Kongo or from Overeem.

I will always be up to watch that guy fight. At HW. Keep it Krispey. Go vegan also.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:00 am

Ok, just watched the prelims & the main event cards. Pretty good fights I must say!

The prelims were pretty exciting! I was surprised!

Main event card wasn't so bad either! Glad that some of the Japanese fighters got wins in their home arena.

Also Sexyama looked really good as well! So did Jury! Wow! :P! :)! :D!

Mark Hunt bringing the power wowowowo! Haha! Damn!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#32 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Fat is functional, who looks more relaxed in the octagon than Hunt, Nelson...DC, Fedor? No shredded, V-backed mesomorphs, you can sure. Both guys hips looked amazing last night. Nelson's ability to keep his body weight shifted on the back foot and give the smoothest twitch into those hips for an uppercut or for an overhand is mind-boggling. You're not gonna see that from Kongo or from Overeem.

I will always be up to watch that guy fight. At HW. Keep it Krispey. Go vegan also.

Dolce on Rogan was saying that guys like Fedor and Cormier could be better fighters if they just lost the flab.

Ironically Dolce is a musclehead and that may be the worst physique for fighting period. You like the fatties, I personally think skinny dudes are the best fighters in the world.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Jasen777 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:35 am

REDDzone wrote:Ironically Dolce is a musclehead and that may be the worst physique for fighting period. You like the fatties, I personally think skinny dudes are the best fighters in the world.

Depends on the person I'd think.

Over-muscled is generally bad (that's way there's an -over prefix). But everyone knows totally ripped fighters are the best.

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#34 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 am

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Ironically Dolce is a musclehead and that may be the worst physique for fighting period. You like the fatties, I personally think skinny dudes are the best fighters in the world.

Depends on the person I'd think.

Over-muscled is generally bad (that's way there's an -over prefix). But everyone knows totally ripped fighters are the best.

Think so? I have decent evidence to the contrary...

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Jasen777 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:55 am

REDDzone wrote:Think so? I have decent evidence to the contrary...

But are they skinny?

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#36 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:05 am

Compared to GSP? Scrawny.

/outofcontextpic
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#37 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:02 pm

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Fat is functional, who looks more relaxed in the octagon than Hunt, Nelson...DC, Fedor? No shredded, V-backed mesomorphs, you can sure. Both guys hips looked amazing last night. Nelson's ability to keep his body weight shifted on the back foot and give the smoothest twitch into those hips for an uppercut or for an overhand is mind-boggling. You're not gonna see that from Kongo or from Overeem.

Dolce on Rogan was saying that guys like Fedor and Cormier could be better fighters if they just lost the flab.

I really thought that was ridiculous. It's not a weight-lifting competition where training on pushing a bar with your hips centred and your pelvis moving 30 degrees might leave you with a heavy upperbody and low body fat. No, you have to be able to move through complex planes of movement. And being v-shaped, top heavy reduces your ability to throw all sorts of techniques. To slide in and get your weight under dudes when you're clinching, for example. Or to transfer weight into punches.

This is HW, of course. You might need to have way less a ratio of bodyfat at the lower weights.

I'm 6'1'', 157 this morning. BTW. TIm Means is a fatty.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#38 » by NZB2323 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Let me know when DC loses a fight because of his flab.

Fedor, DC, Hendo, Shogun, Edgar, Penn...you can dominate without a ripped body.

The other thing is there are 2 main body types among people: one where fat goes to the stomache, and one where fat goes to the butt. The fighters whose fat goes to their butt are going to have a more ripped stomache, and people assume their big butts are all muscle, when they could have the same body fat % as fighters with less butt fat and more stomache fat.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#39 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Let me know when DC loses a fight because of his flab.

The other thing is there are 2 main body types among people: one where fat goes to the stomache, and one where fat goes to the butt. The fighters whose fat goes to their butt are going to have a more ripped stomache, and people assume their big butts are all muscle, when they could have the same body fat % as fighters with less butt fat and more stomache fat.

Having a lot of weight in your hips/butt could be an advantage in certain situations. cbr has made good points about this in the past.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#40 » by NZB2323 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:Let me know when DC loses a fight because of his flab.

Having a lot of weight in your hips/butt could be an advantage in certain situations. cbr has made good points about this in the past.

Roy Nelson has said his belly protects him from body punches and makes it harder to grapple with him.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts