The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#141 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 am

I haven't even watched this yet, but here is round one of metamoris tournament to find out who faces Monson at the next event:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS6RHS_ZgE&list=UU7KyDREK_0N6yNQmPA77tCA[/youtube]

edit: Just watched, questionable decision to put a bunch of heavyweights on a round robin long match style tournament. The blonde dude from the second to third match has just the worst type of jiu jitsu imo. Get a sloppy takedown, sit in the guard with no pass attempts, don't pass or even try to pass unless your opponent throws up a submission and then just brute force your way out of that for a pass. They reguard, rinse, repeat.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#142 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:Any Canadians reading this...what is fight network? I'm hearing its some Canadian cable tv channel?

Anyway, kind of funny in the midst of all this Metamoris vs EBI drama...apparently Copa Podio just signed the first bjj promotion/cable network deal with this Fight Network.

It's been around for 9-10 years, maybe. A cable channel, yeah. When it started it would air old Pride, pro wrestling, TKO's MMA promotion, etc. I think they now have WSOF, RFA, ONE, Lion Fights...almost everything Spike or the UFC don't own.

They've actually aired a fair bit of grappling before. Maybe they haven't had an exclusive contract but they've had ADCC and some weirder tournies.

Their halls aren't exactly hallowed. They air anything and everything remotely related to fighting. Tough Man contests, prison fighting docs... I think they had that NHB arm wrestling on there at one time.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#143 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Any Canadians reading this...what is fight network? I'm hearing its some Canadian cable tv channel?

Anyway, kind of funny in the midst of all this Metamoris vs EBI drama...apparently Copa Podio just signed the first bjj promotion/cable network deal with this Fight Network.

It's been around for 9-10 years, maybe. A cable channel, yeah. When it started it would air old Pride, pro wrestling, TKO's MMA promotion, etc. I think they now have WSOF, RFA, ONE, Lion Fights...almost everything Spike or the UFC don't own.

They've actually aired a fair bit of grappling before. Maybe they haven't had an exclusive contract but they've had ADCC and some weirder tournies.

Their halls aren't exactly hallowed. They air anything and everything remotely related to fighting. Tough Man contests, prison fighting docs... I think they had that NHB arm wrestling on there at one time.

Well first off...sounds awesome, I love most things to do with fighting.

Secondly, I read they played some adcc replays on there before. Not sure if copa podio is the "first" because it will be live instead of just reruns? Or if copa podio is the "first jiu jitsu promotion" because of the technicality that adcc is submission wrestling as opposed to bjj.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#144 » by Susan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah, that's the last thing I'd like to show to friends to showcase the sport. One of the Ohio guys is on there I think. Matt Garber?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#145 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Susan wrote:Yeah, that's the last thing I'd like to show to friends to showcase the sport. One of the Ohio guys is on there I think. Matt Garber?

It would be much more cool (imo) if they did lighter weights. Like if you did a tournament to give someone a chance to compete against Rafa or something, worst case scenario there is you get a guy being surfed on by Rafa for 20 minutes. When it comes to the bigger guys, you'll always get half the match being takedowns on their raised platform and then the other half slow paced and gassed. People are really fiending to watch these no name heavyweights who were huffing and puffing after 15 minutes take on JEFF MONSON for 20?

edit: What do you mean Ohio guys? As in strongstyle brasa?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#146 » by Susan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Garber trains with Deon Thompson in Ohio.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#147 » by REDDzone » Tue May 5, 2015 2:13 pm

This event isn't even getting play on grappling forums, kind of seems like metamoris doesn't even care about this one. None of the usual countdown videos, etc.

Rumors also circling that Cyborg is injured. Unclear as to the validity of that claim.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#148 » by REDDzone » Tue May 5, 2015 3:27 pm

Whoa, just heard that metamoris has closed this event to both the public and the media. Joe Lauzon said that they won't even let him do a video blog for the leadup.

What is going on?
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,256

Post#149 » by Shaazzam » Tue May 5, 2015 5:33 pm

that's very, very odd
like what the hell is the point?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#150 » by REDDzone » Wed May 6, 2015 2:31 am

Chris Weidman received his bjj black belt.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#151 » by Jasen777 » Thu May 7, 2015 1:17 am

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#152 » by REDDzone » Thu May 7, 2015 2:45 am

So the injury rumor was legit. Props to Ryron man. I don't like the guy, but this takes balls.

As for size...Barnett will probably talk about how there was no size difference at all after the fact, but I'd say Ryron is ~190 walking around. He's tall and lanky, 6'2''ish? 6'3''? So probably a good 70 lb discrepancy.

I don't see either getting a tap.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#153 » by REDDzone » Thu May 7, 2015 2:50 am

Props to Barnett too btw. He has nothing to gain here.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#154 » by cowboyronnie » Thu May 7, 2015 12:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:Props to Barnett too btw. He has nothing to gain here.

He really switches roles, that's for sure. Had jumped into deep water, pretty fearless.

I had been really excited to see the fight against Cyborg, Catch vs BJJ. This is a bummer.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#155 » by REDDzone » Thu May 7, 2015 12:47 pm

I actually think this may be a little bit of karma for good old metamoris. They have emphasized that NOBODY would step up and wrestle Barnett at this point.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but they have continued to try to compete against other promotions, this time scheduling their event at the same time as another one - copa podio. Well, copa podio has a HW grand prix going on that day. I'm sure there are guys there who could have stepped in for them, at the very least Vinny would have, but again this is the game they play.

My guess is their other issue is that Worlds is in just a few weeks. Some of these guys are like contractually obligated to compete there by sponsors, etc. Going against a guy like Barnett who will outweigh any and everyone by and has a crushing style may not be good for business.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#156 » by REDDzone » Thu May 7, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm just glad they didn't pick Kevin Casey as the replacement. That guy probably would have given himself a new stripe on his own black belt for every minute he lasted against Barnett. He might be coral by the time that match was over.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Jasen777 » Sat May 9, 2015 9:34 pm

Went to the Metamoris website:

How Do I Watch?

First Answer:

LIVE EXPERIENCE
If you consider yourself a fan of the gentle art, or any of the other grappling disciplines, this one is for you. We work with some of the most talented people in production to meticulously craft a live experience that you will never forget.

EVENT AMENITIES

The Metamoris experience
Metamoris merchandise
Food and Beverages
Premium seating
Ultimate audible experience
LIVE entertainment
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#158 » by REDDzone » Sun May 10, 2015 1:35 am

Lauzon got head and armed. People said Lauzon would destroy since he was facing a brown belt, but this new generation of sports guys..its a very high level.

Also if anyone is watching this or wants to be..hit me up.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#159 » by REDDzone » Sun May 10, 2015 2:48 am

If anyone goes back and watches...skip the Chael match.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#160 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:22 am

More MMA star power than the UFC event?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts