The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#81 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:48 am

REDDzone wrote:I want them to get more styles in there. Love the catch stuff with Barnett. Would like to see them get some judokas or sambo dudes in there.

They're totally ducking sambo guys.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#82 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:00 am

IDK, if they were going for some weird bjj is superior message, they wouldn't have put a one trick wonder like Lister against a much bigger beast catch guy like Barnett.

You gotta realize the guys who are putting this on are all about their own lil "Helio invented leverage" message more than anything. Their marketing tactic is to say that sport bjj has moven away from Helio's message. Cult crap, basically.

If anything they would probably welcome different styles to come in and beat sport bjj guys so they can continue to claim that bjj has lost its way (unless you train at the gracie academy or pay for one of their youtube blue belts).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#83 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 am

Grapple at the Garden Results:

Main event
Kyle Dake vs. Arsen Julfalakyan: Julfalakyan wins a dec. over Dake (6-3)

Co-main event
Tervel Dlagnev vs. Khadzhimurat Gatsalov: Dlagnev wins dec. over Gatsalov (7-4)

Team Warren vs. Team Gracie
Rollie Peterkin vs. Stephen Abas: Peterkin wins dec. over Abas (6-0)
Joe Warren vs. Scott Jorgensen: Warren wins dec. over Jorgensen (12-0)
Shawn Bunch vs. Damacio Page: Bunch wins dec. over Page (10-0)
Jordan Oliver vs. Frank Molinaro: Oliver wins a dec. over Molinaro (10-0)
Gray Maynard vs. Ozzy Dugulubgov: Maynard wins dec. over Dugulubgov (27-0)
Brennan Ward vs. Igor Gracie: Ward wins dec. over Gracie
Darryl Christian vs. Gregor Gracie: Gracie wins a dec. over Christian

King Mo vs. Rolles Gracie: Lawal wins a dec. over Gracie (15-6)
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#84 » by Jasen777 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 am

27-0? You normally don't see that because they'll just get a pin instead. Then again they've changed the rules on me :-?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:22 am

Jasen777 wrote:27-0? You normally don't see that because they'll just get a pin instead. Then again they've changed the rules on me :-?

Hmm IDK how they did it, I read that was actually the team score and not the match score.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#86 » by Jasen777 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 am

Well MMA fighting said Maynard won 14-3 which is a more normal score for a blowout. And it said Warren pinned Jorgensen. But I have no idea what win by decision (no score) means.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#87 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5R84f6Ic0[/youtube]

This previous - 2013 - event looks like it had some crazy, dynamic matches.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#88 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:31 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFjdNfGERc[/youtube]
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#89 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:11 am

REDDzone wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFjdNfGERc[/youtube]

That Mongolian guy's uchi mata...wow.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#90 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:28 am

kdawg32086 wrote:That Mongolian guy's uchi mata...wow.

Its an inspiring video. The dudes just go for it, which is hard to do, to really COMMIT to a throw. I can't remember the fight I was watching recently when the guy just wouldn't commit to it despite great setups, its frustrating to watch although you kind of get it at the same time. That said, its interesting how often those dudes end up in a position with their weight all on their opponents such that their base is off and they can be swept/reversed, or even worse have their back taken. Its probably the same thought people have when they see sport bjj and think how easy it would be to punch an inverted dude in the face though so whatevs. :lol:

Judo is rough though man, those dudes are freakin' tough.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#91 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 pm

So there was a metamoris like bjj event today called Polaris. Not quite as much mma crossover but similar rules and big names from grappling world participated.

A few results:
Gary Tonon (this guy is unreal, hope he enters mma) reverse heel hooks Marcin Held.
Keenan Cornelius taps Dean Lister with a triangle. Funny how Dean went forever without being submitted and has now been submitted two years in a row, his passive a$$ style has finally caught up to him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#92 » by Susan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:10 am

Did you come to Brasa training today bro?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#93 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bisping/status/554061946946076672[/tweet]
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#94 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 am

Susan wrote:Did you come to Brasa training today bro?

Unfortunately not. You?
Susan
RealGM

Post#95 » by Susan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:24 am

REDDzone wrote:

Unfortunately not. You?[/quote

Yeah, there were a few 360 guys there and I was about to ask if any of them were you, but then I would only describe you as the guy who used to like Michael Redd.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#96 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Unfortunately not. You?[/quote

Yeah, there were a few 360 guys there and I was about to ask if any of them were you, but then I would only describe you as the guy who used to like Michael Redd.

One of my last tourneys at whitebelt (~1 year ago) where Keenan Cornelius made an appearance. You can peep your boy Borovic in the background as well. :D Anyway, I'll try to make it down for the next one, it would be cool to roll with a fellow realgmer.

Susan
RealGM

Post#97 » by Susan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:39 am

You woulda been on the other side anyways!

I finally got to roll with Dan and I gained some confidence in my go-to open guard pass.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#98 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:55 am

Other side meaning I'm smaller? Yea, that's standard for me at Brasa gatherings.

If you held your own against Dan, then you would for sure smash me. That dude subs me when he wants, seriously.
Susan
RealGM

Post#99 » by Susan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:45 am

Yeah, I was with the big boys...

I wouldn't say I "held my own" because that's way too much trash talk/cockiness for me. It was just team practice where once you score a point, the roll is over. We started in his open guard which I knew I wanted no part of (he's big on spider and dlr, right?) and he was giving me perfect position for my best open guard pass (a variation of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp8MUGd5ePE except I grab both legs and fight back and forth switching side to side). I was able to turn the corner and "almost pass" before he realized and was like, none of this and regained guard. Then he eventually got me in an omoplata (I bait that a lot, I have super flexible shoulders so i'm able to use it to pass in an unorthodox way) but I could tell he wanted me to jump back into a triangle. I got my arm out and we were back in his open guard. I guess I was kneeing him in the balls as I tried to push my leg through so he almost swept me and got me into turtle (always here as well) and he took a few minutes off because of the ball kneeing.

I felt bad about the kneeing to the balls but he was cool about it. It felt like he was going 10% and from what I saw with other people, he's the best person not named Comprido around. It felt good to get out there with some new faces and see where my BJJ stacks up though.

Are you training for any upcoming tourneys?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#100 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:32 am

Yea man, I miss that dude being at our gym. It was always fun watching him have wars with Scott and Andy. That's a cool pass, we do a variation where you get a collar grip with the hand not grabbing the opposite pant leg. I have issues controlling the hips long enough to get those grips, at least on anyone bigger/skilled.

Anyway, I haven't competed in like 6-8 months, I'm at that age where I had a wedding like every weekend this past summer/fall and missed out. Last time I competed I took a knee and ended up with a broken nose...that along with the ridiculous hospital bill soured me on it for a bit. I'll probably get back into it soon but I don't miss the nervousness and all the hours of waiting that go along with bjj tournaments. I have actually yet to compete at blue belt (although sandbagging is so ridiculous in nogi divisions that I have competed against pro mma guys/purples as a white belt in the >3 year bracket lol), so I'll probably do a few local tournaments before trying ibjjf. Are you into the competition scene?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts