The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 690

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#41 » by Kyler Murray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 am

Do you guys know where I can find the old Metamoris events? (1, 2 & 3). I've watched some of the matches in Youtube but couldn't find the whole events anywhere. Thanks in advance.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#42 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:03 am

Ulquiorra wrote:Do you guys know where I can find the old Metamoris events? (1, 2 & 3). I've watched some of the matches in Youtube but couldn't find the whole events anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Unless you want to torrent, your only bet is to watch/download from youtube. Kind of sucks though because their biggest match ever (Buchecha/Roger) is the only private vid from the first one and I don't think any of the second one is on there. Although to be fair the second one was terrible compared to all the rest.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 690

Post#43 » by Kyler Murray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:44 am

Went to the ADCC european qualifiers this past weekend. The event was awesome, really organised and extremely entertaining.Plus I got the chance to watch Alexander Trans compete live, dude is a beast. I recommend anyone who has a chance to attend an ADCC event to do it. Can't wait for the main event in '15.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#44 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Ulquiorra wrote:Went to the ADCC european qualifiers this past weekend. The event was awesome, really organised and extremely entertaining.Plus I got the chance to watch Alexander Trans compete live, dude is a beast. I recommend anyone who has a chance to attend an ADCC event to do it. Can't wait for the main event in '15.

That's awesome. I love adcc. I seriously think my most anticipated match for that though is the Liborio/Sperry superfight. Liborio is considered by some to be possibly the best of his era and that includes Rickson. Cole Miller posts on the UG bjj forum a lot, saw him on there talking about recently rolling with Liborio and how he was just basically helpless and Liborio just babied him, pretty crazy to think about. Sperry is obviously a beast as well, and they are ex-teammates, oldschool Carlson Gracie dudes.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#45 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2y5phxb6k&list=UUd61J4SzqQi15Fr_UIruAcg[/youtube]

Koscheck rolling with world champ Bernardo Faria, Kos looking good and holding his own although they obviously aren't rolling full bore. It would be cool to see him in metamoris, obviously still an athletic dude with great grappling. I just have no desire to see him punched in the face anymore. Other videos on the same youtube channel of Kos in the gi with a black belt, I had no idea he had a black belt, I'm assuming from Camarillo.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#46 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StHdQkdxyd8&list=UU7KyDREK_0N6yNQmPA77tCA[/youtube]
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#47 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 4, 2014 2:24 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTvM4PBKIzs&list=UU7KyDREK_0N6yNQmPA77tCA[/youtube]

This is an interesting one even beyond the context of two world champs going at it submission only. So Lovato is very good, without question the best American bjj player of all time in terms of accolades at this moment (also recently had a very impressive mma debut btw). He has lost a few years in a row though at worlds, and after losing this year he kind of started this so-called movement against the point fighters of the sport arguing that they are going against the spirit of jiu jitsu, etc. "save jiu jitsu". Some people agreed with him, some called it sour grapes. As they say in the trailer, Simoes was kind of the final catalyst to start all that. So this match is interesting in terms of, who wins a submission only match? Seems like lots on the line for Lovato considering the history there.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#48 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 4, 2014 1:59 pm

Rory on the mmahour. He was in NY at Renzo's to prepare for metamoris which is cool, he's taking it seriously. He said jiu jitsu is the first martial art he fell in love with that inspired him to pursue mma.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#49 » by Susan » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:54 pm

REDDzone wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTvM4PBKIzs&list=UU7KyDREK_0N6yNQmPA77tCA[/youtube]

This is an interesting one even beyond the context of two world champs going at it submission only. So Lovato is very good, without question the best American bjj player of all time in terms of accolades at this moment (also recently had a very impressive mma debut btw). He has lost a few years in a row though at worlds, and after losing this year he kind of started this so-called movement against the point fighters of the sport arguing that they are going against the spirit of jiu jitsu, etc. "save jiu jitsu". Some people agreed with him, some called it sour grapes. As they say in the trailer, Simoes was kind of the final catalyst to start all that. So this match is interesting in terms of, who wins a submission only match? Seems like lots on the line for Lovato considering the history there.

BRAAAAAAASA!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#50 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:59 pm

Susan wrote:BRAAAAAAASA!

Did you get to train with Yuri last weekend?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#51 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 9, 2014 2:33 am

Lovato is out with a torn tendon.

Hope they get a good replacement for Yuri. I wonder if Keenan has plans for that weekend? There is some history there as well, as Yuri beat Keenan for the nogi worlds championship recently.

As far as I know, they have competed twice. Keenan won in the gi and Yuri won nogi. This was otherwise scheduled to be the one nogi match in the competition, so it would be interesting how they would schedule that one if they do make that match (I have a hunch they will).
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#52 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:Lovato is out with a torn tendon.

Hope they get a good replacement for Yuri. I wonder if Keenan has plans for that weekend? There is some history there as well, as Yuri beat Keenan for the nogi worlds championship recently.

As far as I know, they have competed twice. Keenan won in the gi and Yuri won nogi. This was otherwise scheduled to be the one nogi match in the competition, so it would be interesting how they would schedule that one if they do make that match (I have a hunch they will).

Welp, since I'm talking to myself in this thread so much, may as well just pat myself on the back a little as well. :D

Keenan vs Yuri announced. Just made too much sense to not make this. Kind of torn, Yuri reps my team and is awesome but I've met Keenan and he is a great guy as well.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#53 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:38 pm

You're just piecing together syllables and calling them names, as far as I know, but I'll definitely watch this event.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#54 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I guess Kevin Casey is out, and Ralek just announced that he is taking applications from any brazilian jiu jitsu black belt to step in against Vinny Magalhaes on short notice. Vinny said he is ready to go against anyone, any weight. Ralek is offering a 10k bonus if the person who steps in is able to win (good luck with that).

Probably way too much to ask but I would kill if it were Werdum and we got to see a rematch of the 2011 adcc match where Vinny beat Werdum but Werdum had him in a deep armbar fully extended for like 2 minutes lol. :lol:
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#55 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:48 am

Some will be turned off by the end, but this is worth the watch, as usual:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPQMKC5Y-Q[/youtube]
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#56 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:06 pm

That's fantastic ^

I did not know any of that Catch/BJJ theory. It's amazing.

Suggests that Saku was taking advantage of poor strategy from nascent Gracies, though...that's not going to hack it any longer (and hasn't for a while).

I did not remember that Saku subbed Randleman. Woah.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#57 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:That's fantastic ^

I did not know any of that Catch/BJJ theory. It's amazing.

Suggests that Saku was taking advantage of poor strategy from nascent Gracies, though...that's not going to hack it any longer (and hasn't for a while).

I did not remember that Saku subbed Randleman. Woah.

That's the theory, but I'm not always 100% certain that is how it plays out.

Takie the Barnett/Mir fight for example, one is classically trained in catch and the other in bjj. Which one would you argue looks for control and the positional heirarchy, and which one is looking to snag "double wrist locks" or random subs from everywhere? Look at Lister/Barnett (in fear of overusing the Barnett example), Lister is more likely to roll for knees and heels, whereas Barnett controlled the fight from top turtle and heavy crossfaces from side mount.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#58 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:28 am

So this happened. I didn't watch live but will view at some point. The secret match was Jake Shields vs Roberto Satoshi, pretty cool matchup for us grappling nerds.

Everyone online is saying Shields was super aggressive and impressive. Dude gets a lot of flack in the mma world for being boring but he truly is an unbelievable grappler when the gi is off.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#59 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 am

On another note, Durinho (current ufc fighter and bjj stud) and Leandro Lo competed in a no time limit, submission only event today. Durinho ended up being submitted by Lo in ~20 minutes.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#60 » by Susan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Watched it, Saku v Renzo was terrible.

Keenan v Yuri was awesome, Rory and Shields looked really good. Shields passing was awesome.

I think it would be better if there were decisions kind of like how Pride used to do it. Points are useless but having draws really takes away from the competition aspect of the event. Maybe have this be a league with hockey type scoring with 3 points for a sub win and 1 point for a decision win? I dunno but it's kinda cool to think about how this could be better.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts