UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok 

Post#1 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:28 pm

Fighters no longer allowed in cage sponsors.

Dana says fighters will receive ALL the money from the deal.

Dana also says fighters will be paid by their ranking.

Curious what people think about this one.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Re: UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok 

Post#2 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:46 pm

Remains to be seen. If they want more of a team/pro sports look to their fighters-- and they want to welcome comparisons to pro sports-- perhaps they shouldn't squeeze them as independent contractors whenever possible. Looking around the world of pro sports... and there's one thing missing in UFC that pushes the needle over to the side of the talent. Hmm, not sure what it is, but NBA, NHL, MLB, etc, minimum salary deals offer more protection. Dana needs to remember that his bread is being buttered not because he's such a savvy business mind, but because he has too much control over talent who would rightfully get theirs in an open market.

I do think it's incredibly naive to assume it'll be dispersed that way. They shouldn't have said anything, just "we're still working on compensation details". Could come back to bite them.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:49 pm

Agreed. And didn't Lorenzo say something like the fighters will receive most of the money, whereas I read that Dana emphasized the fighters will receive all of the money. I'm not 100% certain if I believe either.

Also, if they are really going to compensate guys based on rankings, they need to actually get people doing the rankings that know mma and what they are doing. I had no idea how much of a joke this was until I was recently listening to the mmabeat panel. That group is made up of mmafighting and sports illustrated mma media...and none of those guys are a part of the rankings. Sounds like its just a bunch of randoms who do it.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM

Post#4 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:51 pm

Yeah, I mean, we've discussed that before and it is subjective, but how do they determine that?

Will they put someone who's already made bank at #11 and put an unranked guy at #10 to help him out? Would the opposite be more likely to happen?

Just how exactly do they determine this, because it seems arbitrary. And arbitrary means you get **** if you're not best friends with the boss.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#5 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:01 pm

SDM wrote:Yeah, I mean, we've discussed that before and it is subjective, but how do they determine that?

Will they put someone who's already made bank at #11 and put an unranked guy at #10 to help him out? Would the opposite be more likely to happen?

Just how exactly do they determine this, because it seems arbitrary. And arbitrary means you get **** if you're not best friends with the boss.

Or it could mean the ufc is suddenly a meritocracy if the rankings are done correctly.

For example, as of last weekend the 145 rankings were Aldo, Mendes, Cub, Edgar. So if one of those guys fought Conor, maybe Conor is the highest paid by the ufc for all the wwe stuff but in terms of being reimbursed by the sponsorship deal, he would only get what his ranking called for.
SDM
RealGM

Post#6 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:17 pm

REDDzone wrote:Or it could mean the ufc is suddenly a meritocracy if the rankings are done correctly.

For example, as of last weekend the 145 rankings were Aldo, Mendes, Cub, Edgar. So if one of those guys fought Conor, maybe Conor is the highest paid by the ufc for all the wwe stuff but in terms of being reimbursed by the sponsorship deal, he would only get what his ranking called for.

I'm with you, but if Conor is the highest paid (to show?) fighter in this scenario, it's not a stretch that he'd have the most in sponsorship and endorsements. He'd be getting punished if the only sponsorship dollars he touches are directly related to Reebok/his ranking. I think we're still waiting on those details however... Bones has Nike, etc, and I'm POSITIVE it has to be on his gear. Would Reebok have a Nike (would qualify as a major international brand) logo on their gear? All that stuff has to be worked out.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:19 pm

Nike dropped Bones. They still sponsor Spider and JDS though as far as I'm aware.

I'm almost positive ALL in cage sponsorships besides Reebok are a thing of the past. At least in terms of patches/logos on attire. No idea if they will make them get rid of the banner that they usually hang behind the fighter during intros.
SDM
RealGM

Post#8 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:Nike dropped Bones. They still sponsor Spider and JDS though as far as I'm aware.

I'm almost positive ALL in cage sponsorships besides Reebok are a thing of the past. At least in terms of patches/logos on attire. No idea if they will make them get rid of the banner that they usually hang behind the fighter during intros.

Yeah, you're right-- no more logos on attire. I skimmed through the Sportsnet article, teeth gritting all prepared to hate it.

One thing it mentions is that UFC-Reebok apparel will be sold at 1.5K Reebok stores and 1K other outlets and fighters will have the opportunity to sell their own merch... which could be good for the fighters, or bad, if Reebok only wants the heavy hitters. I do think MMA-style merch is radically underrepresented in retail compared to how often I see people wearing it... I can only recall a few MMA-centric clothing stores, one in Montreal and a large one in Vegas. Must mean someone online is making a killing because it's not in brick and mortar. Work in Koreatown North, live a few minutes away from Koreatown South and I can't find KZ gear... maybe this changes things.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#9 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:48 pm

I think a lot of the banner sponsors and patch sponsors are paying 'in kind'. Some, long-term.

Thinking this could be high-level Machiavellian move, as it removes a lot of need for managers. It makes Zuffa the benevolent patriarch fro. whom everything flows.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:50 pm

It would be cool if they made their fight gear available. Sell fight shorts (pocketless, with the velcro), grappling spats, rashguards, get into mma gloves and mouthguards, hell even gis would be cool (adidas is in this game now), etc.

I would personally never wear any of that because I'm sure the "UFC" logo would be plastered all over it and I just couldn't do it, but it'd probably sell. Lots of that stuff now is hard to find and expensive, they could probably mass produce and sell it.
SDM
RealGM

Post#11 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:52 pm

REDDzone wrote:It would be cool if they made their fight gear available. Sell fight shorts (pocketless, with the velcro), grappling spats, rashguards, get into mma gloves and mouthguards, hell even gis would be cool (adidas is in this game now), etc.

I would personally never wear any of that because I'm sure the "UFC" logo would be plastered all over it and I just couldn't do it, but it'd probably sell. Lots of that stuff now is hard to find and expensive, they could probably mass produce and sell it.

For sure. I'm thinking of the (Cooper?) baseball gloves from back in the day with a stamped signature and the player's number... every kid had an Alomar or a Ripken.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#12 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:52 pm

SDM wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Nike dropped Bones. They still sponsor Spider and JDS though as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, you're right-- no more logos on attire. I skimmed through the Sportsnet article, teeth gritting all prepared to hate it.

One thing it mentions is that UFC-Reebok apparel will be sold at 1.5K Reebok stores and 1K other outlets and fighters will have the opportunity to sell their own merch... which could be good for the fighters, or bad, if Reebok only wants the heavy hitters. I do think MMA-style merch is radically underrepresented in retail compared to how often I see people wearing it... I can only recall a few MMA-centric clothing stores, one in Montreal and a large one in Vegas. Must mean someone online is making a killing because it's not in brick and mortar. Work in Koreatown North, live a few minutes away from Koreatown South and I can't find KZ gear... maybe this changes things.

In Toronto,
Beatdown and Xtreme Couture's retail section would sell you your Future Legend or Wandy face t.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:10 pm

I think this is a good and necessary step. Now we just wait to see if they do it correctly.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:31 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I think this is a good and necessary step. Now we just wait to see if they do it correctly.

Care to elaborate as to why its good and necessary?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:40 pm

What happens to fighters who aren't ranked? No sponsorship income?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#16 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:48 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I think this is a good and necessary step. Now we just wait to see if they do it correctly.

I think it further pushes the UFC in line with sports like the NFL and NBA, and that is a good thing IMO. This will make the product look a lot better and less rinky dink, without guys with Condom Depot patches all over their shorts and banners with Brazilian energy drinks and Jiffy Lube on them. Getting that kind of thing out of the UFC is long overdue IMO.

Now the challenge becomes that they have to make sure the fighters are still being taken care of from this like they would have been with sponsors. That is going to take some time to figure out and be tricky at first. But, assuming they iron out the kinks, a set uniform will look a lot better to the product. I always enjoyed that aspect of TUF.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#17 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:49 pm

REDDzone wrote:What happens to fighters who aren't ranked? No sponsorship income?

I seriously doubt that. Most likely a flat rate.
SDM
RealGM

Post#18 » by SDM » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:49 pm

REDDzone wrote:

I can appreciate a more streamlined look to the fighters, especially women who seem to be all over the map when it comes to ring gear. It helps distance the sport a bit from its patched-together history, with Kevin Rozier in sweatpants and stuff.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#19 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:54 pm

SDM wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I can appreciate a more streamlined look to the fighters, especially women who seem to be all over the map when it comes to ring gear. It helps distance the sport a bit from its patched-together history, with Kevin Rozier in sweatpants and stuff.

100% agree.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#20 » by High 5 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 9:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:What happens to fighters who aren't ranked? No sponsorship income?

3. How does this benefit the athletes?
The new policy will provide several benefits to the athletes, including but not limited to:
a. Associating every athlete with a global athletic footwear and apparel brand
b. High quality performance apparel specifically developed, tested and produced for MMA athletes
c. Elevating the visual identity of UFC athletes to be on par with other global mainstream sports
d. A guaranteed income for each fight, eliminating the burden of seeking sponsors on a per event basis
e. The opportunity to generate royalty income from the new athlete-specific products created through this program

21. Will athletes be compensated under the 2015 UFC Athlete Outfitting Policy?
Yes, athletes will be compensated. The athlete outfitting compensation is a tiered system based on each athlete’s ranking at the time of the weigh-in, irrespective of broadcast type and placement on the fight card.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-outfitting- ... -questions

It sounds like every fighter will be paid. This could be a good deal for the lower level fighters, but I don't know about the mid-level and above guys.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts