UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok 

Post#261 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 1, 2015 12:46 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FilthyTomLawlor/status/615928125705183232[/tweet]
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#262 » by Headliner » Wed Jul 1, 2015 1:56 am

Wow

Those mistakes are insane.
I hate those shirts, but I think all sports apparel is hideous and rediculous.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#263 » by High 5 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:40 am

I still haven't really taken the time to research what all this Reebok deal entails, but everything I read is insane. I just don't know how the UFC thought it was a good idea to sign off on it. I keep waiting for information to come to light that makes it seem more reasonable, but somehow it just gets worse and worse. Those jerseys are the ugly cherry on top.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#264 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:53 am

They made one for Koscheck, though he is saying the UFC doesn't have his apparel rights. He's got lawyers working on demanding the UFC takes it down.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#265 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:05 am

Tate seems to like being a fashion model ok, but I'm not sure about Hendricks.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/30/8871219/ufc-reebok-uniform-deal-rollout-reaction-design-editorial-errors-investment-mma-business

Anyways hadn't seen this part:

It's not so much that the new uniforms are ugly (although they are and it doesn't help), but more that they just seem lazy and haphazard. The designs are big and loud, emphasizing the UFC over all else, which isn't surprising. But, it doesn't allow for a lot of design creativity when 75% of your layout is taken up by three letters. Beyond that, the uniforms have been color coded by nationality. The "working with individual fighters to customize their individual kit and colors" mantra that we heard when the idea came out is nowhere to be found. Now fighters are getting the colors of their home country and a national emblem. Well, some of them are anyway, and it's not always quite their home country.

Colored coded by nation? And I had forgotten that fighters were supposed to get input to customized colors.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#266 » by blkout » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:27 am

Hendricks making his long awaited move to heavyweight
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#267 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:39 pm

REDDzone wrote:Also according to Jeremy Botter the shirts cost $95.

This is so hilarious, what a trainwreck. Could you even imagine a serious sportsleague coming out with a brand new sponsor and then having typos all over the new apparel? "Payton Manning" "Tim Brady". lmfao. So much for all the input the fighters supposedly had. Also, every forum is so hilarious on this topic: "Coming soon to a Ross near you".

By the way, the "Giblert Melendez" twitter account is pure gold:

My name is Giblert Melendez. My nickname is Le Nino. I fight in the Utlimate Fighting Championship. Buy my shirt. #Giblert

Giblert Melendez is the only jersey I'd pay the 95 bucks for.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#268 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:08 pm

REDDzone wrote: Also, every forum is so hilarious on this topic: "Coming soon to a Ross near you".

Straight to the sale rack?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#269 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:45 pm

SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#270 » by SDM » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:47 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote: Also, every forum is so hilarious on this topic: "Coming soon to a Ross near you".

Straight to the sale rack?

When the UFC cans another boring **** wrestler who doesn't lose when he's supposed to, will we find their jersey in the traded players section at Winners?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#271 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:46 am

REDDzone wrote:What? Schaub never even criticized the company, unless I missed it. He just tweeted a sad smiley face. He acknowledged getting f*cked, then tripped on himself to proclaim how #TEAMUFC he is as Dana is calling him a liar and he has the evidence to clear his own good name but won't. The backtracking you reference is the exploitation acceptance, unless you're a fan of his.

"**** Reebok." "Don't buy my jersey."
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#272 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:54 am

Good for Hybrid "Brendan" Schaub. :)
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#273 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:20 am

BTW, are you dudes who said you weren't interested in the show once Brendan is not longer a fighter still listening? Because the dude is clearly done.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#274 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:18 pm

The show is a really tough listen these days. For about 5 shows. He's just moody and contrarian. And a huge portion of what they talk about is how successful they are. Like rappers.

I agree with you that there's slim chance he fights again. But there's def a chance. He's waiting for a "super fight". But also supposedly cutting to 205. Despite that, every single show he talks about eating loads of candy and junk food. 5 Voodoo donuts in a sitting, in this latest one.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#275 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:58 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:The show is a really tough listen these days. For about 5 shows. He's just moody and contrarian. And a huge portion of what they talk about is how successful they are. Like rappers.

I agree with you that there's slim chance he fights again. But there's def a chance. He's waiting for a "super fight". But also supposedly cutting to 205. Despite that, every single show he talks about eating loads of candy and junk food. 5 Voodoo donuts in a sitting, in this latest one.

Good timing for me on the show then, I started listening two shows ago and haven't really enjoyed it too much. Seems like 40% of the talk is about how great they are, my eyes usually start to glaze over then like when Rogan goes on one of his 2-3 mini rants that he goes on every other show.

He may not be 100% done but his 205 weight cut is 100% done. Last episode I heard they were literally talking about how their faces are fat from all the cheese they ate.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#276 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 8, 2015 10:41 pm

Yeah, haha. ^ So much sodium from all the cheese they couldn't get their watches off. ^^^ Schaub Slim-Down, 2015.

On fighting Cyborg, in Metamoris: "[He didn't have to weigh-in], I still beat him. He's number one in the world, I don't even do that much jiu-jitsu."
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#277 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:00 pm

Lol, the Cyborg thing still kills me. You engage once in the match and get swept and mounted literally within four seconds. In Bryan Callen's opinion though, he is the best.

I'm sure he really is very good, mind you. But there are levels.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#278 » by REDDzone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Paraphrasing because I don't have the article open on my work computer but I guess Aldo said something along the lines of 'the reebok kit sucks but what can you do? I guess that we just have to accept that we look like the power rangers'
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#279 » by REDDzone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Supposedly reebok kits dropped in price to 80 bucks a pop.

So happy I held off on my new Giblert jersey.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#280 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 am

So ufc cut man "Stitch" Duran did an interview where he talked about the reebok deal. UFC has supposedly cut ties with him as a result of his comments.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/StitchDuran/status/623636360746827776[/tweet]

Some of the comments in question.
So did you and the other cutmen know that you wouldn't be able to keep your sponsors with the Reebok deal or were you caught off guard?

We were given sufficient warning but they basically told us we weren't part of the negotiations of that Reebok deal. That was only going to involve the fighters.

I don't think they did this out of malice. Not at all. Really, what I think is we might be doing too good of job where they just maybe forgot about us. I also don't think they thought about or understood what kind of value we could give them.

Them being Reebok, right?

Yes. I understand why my old sponsors used to come to me, because I gave them exposure. Before a fighter entered the cage or between rounds you'd see me and my vest on camera. No reason Reebok couldn't be getting that exposure now. I wonder if Reebok realizes they are missing a nice piece of real estate.

Did the UFC hear about you and the other cutmen's concerns before the deal took effect?

We told our concerns to our higher ups who brought them to their higher ups but we were informed it's a no-go. We were told there's nothing left in the kitty for us so there wasn't much we could do.

So what does this mean for your future as a cutman?

I really love working the MMA circuit. I really love working with the fighters and the UFC, but I also have a family to support. So do I start focusing more on seminars? Do I start giving my business card more to boxers?

If you or other cutmen decided to go somewhere else because of the money do you think this could potentially hurt the quality of cutpeople in the UFC?

That was a question that was asked me by someone from the UFC Saturday night and my answer was yes. And that means you have elite level fighters and you'll have young, inexperienced guys working as their cutmen.

Fans and fighters are starting to realize what we do is pretty important. Look at the fights at UFC 189. Less experienced people aren't going to be able to do what we did that night.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/20/9002195/veteran-ufc-cutman-stitch-duran-reebok-deal-cutmen-go-to-boxing-mma-interview

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts