UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok 

Post#301 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:45 pm

UFC has a business where they can get away with paying their fighters and contractors peanuts because sponsors pick up the slack and then just go and completely blow it and now everyone loses.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#302 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Jasen777 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Reebok/status/623931268837847040[/tweet]

That speaks very loudly. Hahaha.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#303 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Hard to think Reebok isn't feeling at least some of the flack from partnering up with the UFC. The UFC is a professional organisation as far as making money goes but they are far from professional in their dealings.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#304 » by SDM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Lots of fighters speaking out against Stitch's firing on Twitter.

Some swears.

Spoiler:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoshKoscheck/status/623900324013731840[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NateRockQuarry/status/623656351034646528[/tweet]

And a great thinker of our time, Timmy the Skeptic

[tweet]https://twitter.com/timsylviamma/status/623676309546377217[/tweet]
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#305 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:03 am

Lol Tim Sylvia is such a dummy. Nothing to do with brain damage, just a dummy.

There were several fighters who spoke out about it btw. Rumble did off the top of my head.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#306 » by CPT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Could not be less surprised that Tim Sylvia doesn't know how freedom of speech works.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#307 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm

It sucks to see Stitch go, but you can't be too surprised that there are repercussions to speaking out publicly against your employer.
SDM
RealGM

Post#308 » by SDM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:38 pm

It's weird... when they're negotiating contracts, they're kept at arm's length as contractors and it's hammered home that it's a good thing, personal responsibility, "you set your own destiny", blah blah blah. Truth is, once they're in, they're expected to work against their own personal interests for the betterment of the brand. It's a cult.

Stitch mentioned that he'd be blackballed if he took work at another MMA org and then tried to come back, and he was so nonchalant about it. That's what really irked me the most about it... how everyone knows UFC **** people over and how accepted it is by the people being ****. There's no way a fighter can pit UFC against Bellator or OneFC to gain leverage in a true free market situation without it hurting them. Things won't improve until a golden child like Bisping or Weidman decides not to re-up, and they limit this opportunity by paying top guys substantially more backstage and via Reebok. But at the same time, there's no way they'd let top draws go into the final fight of their deal without an extension signed or at least very close. No bueno all around. Replace the first major guy who does leave with Paul Haggis and you basically have the outline for Going Clear.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#309 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Cammo101 wrote:It sucks to see Stitch go, but you can't be too surprised that there are repercussions to speaking out publicly against your employer.

Its not like he was trashing the ufc, he was pretty much just stating facts. The dude isn't getting paid now, was he supposed to talk about how happy he is for not getting paid?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#310 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:56 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:It sucks to see Stitch go, but you can't be too surprised that there are repercussions to speaking out publicly against your employer.

Its not like he was trashing the ufc, he was pretty much just stating facts. The dude isn't getting paid now, was he supposed to talk about how happy he is for not getting paid?

I'm not telling the guy what he should do. He's a grown man and can do whatever he wants. I am saying it doesn't take a rocket scientists to know that when your company is going through a PR issue and you pile on that issue publicly, it may not end well for you. Especially if you are a replaceable, non-essential employee.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#311 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I'm not telling the guy what he should do. He's a grown man and can do whatever he wants. I am saying it doesn't take a rocket scientists to know that when your company is going through a PR issue and you pile on that issue publicly, it may not end well for you. Especially if you are a replaceable, non-essential employee.

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that firing him would cause the PR issue to escalate. So much so in the end that your new partner literally sends out tweets distancing themselves from your decisions. LOL @ the UFC.
SDM
RealGM

Post#312 » by SDM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Seeing how popular and beloved he is and the subsequent **** storm caused by his ousting, I would venture that he is an irreplaceable employee... plenty of fighters outright saying they don't want anyone else in their corner. Just because his skillset can be replaced relatively easily doesn't mean that he's not irreplaceable as an associate or co-worker. Fighters don't think so.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#313 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:40 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I'm not telling the guy what he should do. He's a grown man and can do whatever he wants. I am saying it doesn't take a rocket scientists to know that when your company is going through a PR issue and you pile on that issue publicly, it may not end well for you. Especially if you are a replaceable, non-essential employee.

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that firing him would cause the PR issue to escalate. So much so in the end that your new partner literally sends out tweets distancing themselves from your decisions. LOL @ the UFC.

I think they underestimated how much people would care about Stitch being fired. Truthfully, I'm pretty surprised by it as well, from the fans specifically, not the fighters.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#314 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:41 pm

SDM wrote:Seeing how popular and beloved he is and the subsequent **** storm caused by his ousting, I would venture that he is an irreplaceable employee... plenty of fighters outright saying they don't want anyone else in their corner. Just because his skillset can be replaced relatively easily doesn't mean that he's not irreplaceable as an associate or co-worker. Fighters don't think so.

He's clearly replaceable. He doesn't even work all the UFC cards and they go off just fine. No one in Scotland was refusing to fight if Stitch wasn't in their corner.
SDM
RealGM

Post#315 » by SDM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
SDM wrote:Seeing how popular and beloved he is and the subsequent **** storm caused by his ousting, I would venture that he is an irreplaceable employee... plenty of fighters outright saying they don't want anyone else in their corner. Just because his skillset can be replaced relatively easily doesn't mean that he's not irreplaceable as an associate or co-worker. Fighters don't think so.

He's clearly replaceable. He doesn't even work all the UFC cards and they go off just fine. No one in Scotland was refusing to fight if Stitch wasn't in their corner.

There's more to a job than simply doing the tasks you're assigned to complete which any schlub with a modicum of self respect can do. Your fit in an organization depends heavily on how you work with others and how they react to you. He is an irreplaceable employee especially now that he`s a figurehead for the Reebok deal malfeasance. Couldn`t have happened to a more liked and respected guy and being a developing story, we`re not sure yet how it`s going to affect morale.

He's being punished not because of what he said and how it makes UFC looks... but because UFC knows they're in the wrong with this Reebok situation and they're not going to fire Aldo + much like you Cammo, they don't appreciate the intangibles healthy working relationships bring because their MO over the last few years has been to dismantle that on the sponsorship side.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#316 » by High 5 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Was Nate Quarry so vocal about the evil UFC before he retired or was at the very end of his career? I don't remember, but if not then he should chill with calling out other fighters.
SDM
RealGM

Post#317 » by SDM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:19 pm

High 5 wrote:Was Nate Quarry so vocal about the evil UFC before he retired or was at the very end of his career? I don't remember, but if not then he should chill with calling out other fighters.

He's got a bit of a reputation, but to be fair, it was a radically different climate at UFC when he was active. He'd have his own sponsors and UFC wasn't taking a cut of them until near the end of his run (or maybe slightly after that).
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#318 » by High 5 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I just know he's had a lot to say in retirement that I'm not sure he was saying back then. But you're right, it's a whole different ball game now.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#319 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:43 pm

SDM wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

There's more to a job than simply doing the tasks you're assigned to complete which any schlub with a modicum of self respect can do. Your fit in an organization depends heavily on how you work with others and how they react to you. He is an irreplaceable employee especially now that he`s a figurehead for the Reebok deal malfeasance. Couldn`t have happened to a more liked and respected guy and being a developing story, we`re not sure yet how it`s going to affect morale.

He's being punished not because of what he said and how it makes UFC looks... but because UFC knows they're in the wrong with this Reebok situation and they're not going to fire Aldo + much like you Cammo, they don't appreciate the intangibles healthy working relationships bring because their MO over the last few years has been to dismantle that on the sponsorship side.

I don't really disagree with any of that other than your use of irreplaceable. Being a swell guy who does a great job and people like you doesn't make you irreplaceable. Sadly, he has a job where there are tons of people who do what he does about as well as he does it. I'm sad they fired him, but he is very much replaceable. The UFC will continue to go on without him.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#320 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 pm

High 5 wrote:Was Nate Quarry so vocal about the evil UFC before he retired or was at the very end of his career? I don't remember, but if not then he should chill with calling out other fighters.

He really does rub me the wrong way. He is so holier than though and tbh I feel like he always has been.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts