Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

The UFC Signs CM Punk 

Post#1 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 6:55 am

My reaction was caught on hidden camera:

Thoughts? :D
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: The UFC Signs CM Punk 

Post#2 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:05 am

You said in the other thread they're going to have him fight a 0-0 fighter? Is that TUF China yoga instructor available?

This is sideshow stuff unbecoming a professional organization with a Reebox contract.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:08 am

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought Dana said in an interview that he would fight someone who was 0-0 since he was 0-0. Not sure the exact quote.

LOL the reebok thing is funny here though. Will Punk be tied for the lowest sponsorship money in the organization (as a sub top 15 fighter) as a guy who will probably instantly be one of the biggest draws in the promotion?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#4 » by CPT » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:09 am

For the love of god I hope he means 0-0 in the UFC at least.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:10 am

I'll take the fight if it pays well. I'm 0-0, might be able to make 170, and have three days collegiate wrestling experience (Division 3, club team practice, but still...)
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:11 am

Hear me out on this...doesn't Beiber train with Eddie Bravo? Or was that all bs? If so...

Beiber vs CM Punk, 10th planet vs Gracie Jiu Jitsu part III. Make it happen Dana!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:12 am

Jasen777 wrote:I'll take the fight if it pays well. I'm 0-0, might be able to make 170, and have three days collegiate wrestling experience (Division 3, club team practice, but still...)

LOL yea I'll sign up as well. I'm one rank below him in bjj, but we are tied in wrestling and striking credentials and have the same mma record. 8-)
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#8 » by Susan » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:22 am

I just hope he's more Sakurabua than Brock.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#9 » by CPT » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:31 am

I hope he's more Brock than Batista.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:35 am

I hope he's more Batista than Jose Canseco.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#11 » by Hilltop » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:50 am

REDDzone wrote:Hear me out on this...doesn't Beiber train with Eddie Bravo? Or was that all bs? If so...

Beiber vs CM Punk, 10th planet vs Gracie Jiu Jitsu part III. Make it happen Dana!

Don't forget that the Bieb also trains boxing with his boy, Floyd Mayweather. There's your match-up right there.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#12 » by SDM » Sun Dec 7, 2014 2:37 pm

I have all the confidence in the world that Joe Silva can find someone that Punk can beat rather easily. Maybe Dana would be thrilled with a pro wrestler getting squashed, but this is the opposite of the Toney situation in which they pitted him against a dude who would ankle pick him within seconds knowing Toney wouldn't come back. I hope it's different.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 5:47 pm

The only guy I can ever think of who made his debut in modern ufc is Matt Riddle. And even that isn't really true because he had exhibition fights on tuf.

Riddle faced a dude who was 11-3. I doubt ufc wants to go down that route with CM Punk haha.

Also, LOL @ Bisping calling out Punk on twitter. Brilliant.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 5:54 pm

SDM wrote:I have all the confidence in the world that Joe Silva can find someone that Punk can beat rather easily. Maybe Dana would be thrilled with a pro wrestler getting squashed, but this is the opposite of the Toney situation in which they pitted him against a dude who would ankle pick him within seconds knowing Toney wouldn't come back. I hope it's different.

Dude here's the thing: its not possible to know who CM Punk can beat rather easily. This is a guy who is mid 30s and has never even competed in a grappling competition as far as we know. Zero combat experience. Unless Joe Silva goes and picks some guy up off a bar stool who literally has never trained in anything ever, then I don't see how we could be confident that CM Punk would win. I would say the ufc wouldn't sink that low but they just signed CM Punk so...

He has his purple belt from the Torrance guys who gave Al Bundy a black belt who, from my understanding, pretty much exclusively did private lessons. Has Punk ever even been choked by a training partner? Has he ever ROLLED with anyone outside of his immediate instructor? Honestly we don't know. I guess there is that picture I posted on him yesterday standing next to mma fighters on his tiptoes. So there's that.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 7, 2014 6:08 pm

LOL I just read on another forum someone suggest Rogan vs CM Punk. I laughed at first then I thought... I would 100% take Rogan (a 10th planet black belt under Eddie Bravo, a bjj black belt under JJ Machado, a tkd black belt with years of competition experience. Muay thai experience. Highschool wrestling experience).

:)

edit: A counterpoint:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/colemillerATT/status/541502143736594433[/tweet]

edit 2: I posted this a few days ago...

REDDzone wrote:When asked, Dana confirmed that he would be willing to talk to CM Punk.

Who could he fight? Is the power ranger guy still competing? Maybe he could still fit into that green suit for the walk outs?

Aaaand the Power Ranger is calling out CM Punk lol. Although he has several amateur fights and at least one pro fight so IDK if the UFC would be down for that.

edit 3: There is a video of him from 2012 wearing a white belt. Is he even purple?
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#16 » by GetBuLLish » Sun Dec 7, 2014 8:18 pm

Count me as one of the few people excited by this. :lol:
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#17 » by spykelee » Sun Dec 7, 2014 10:58 pm

I still think he has some potential to surprise. That doesn't mean championship or even top 10... But I think he's going to at least make a decent account of himself in comparison to the expectations...

That said, has there even been a single 0-0 fighter in the ufc? I think that's a reasonable matchup for a guys first fight, but you don't generally make your debut on the big show... Unless your fawwwwn dawwwwn go anyways. Certainly a side show, but I'm interested so consider it a success I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 7, 2014 11:52 pm

REDDzone wrote:The only guy I can ever think of who made his debut in modern ufc is Matt Riddle. And even that isn't really true because he had exhibition fights on tuf.

Sadollah as well, though he went trough TUF and had amateur MMA and kickboxing bouts and sambo experience. His first fight after winning the 6 figure contract was a 5-0 fighter named Johny Hendricks.

Even Lesnar had had a professional fight, and of course was a college wrestling champion and genetic freak.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 8, 2014 12:01 am

People called James Toney a freakshow and if we hold all martial arts equal then he is 10000000% more credible as a boxing great than a bjj hobbyist.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Jasen777 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 12:41 am

But if you only have boxing and literally nothing else, well you saw what happened (also Art Jimmerson).

If you only have BJJ you have a little bit of a chance since it includes some takedown training (though something like Bader vs. Vinny is much more likely).

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts