UFC Fight Night 60 (2/14): Bendo vs. Thatch

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

UFC Fight Night 60 (2/14): Bendo vs. Thatch 

Post#1 » by CPT » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Still a serious contender for worst card ever.

MAIN CARD
FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET

Benson Henderson vs. Brandon Thatch
Max Holloway vs. Cole Miller
Kiichi Kunimoto vs. Neil Magny
Daniel Kelly vs. Patrick Walsh
Michel Prazeres vs. Kevin Lee
Ray Borg vs. Chris Kelades

PRELIMINARY CARD
FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET

Nik Lentz vs. Levan Makashvili
Efrain Escudero vs. Rodrigo Lima
Jim Alers vs. Chas Skelly
Tim Elliott vs. Zach Makovsky

PRELIMINARY CARD
UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET

James Moontasri vs. Cody Pfister
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC Fight Night 60 (2/14): Thompson vs. Thatch 

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

I think there are like 7 guys on the main card that I've never heard of, can't believe this is fs1 and not fightpass. Its almost worse when there is a fighter or two I like on cards like these, because then I have to selectively tune in. I think the main event could be a decent fight, and I like Holloway as a fighter and am a fan of Cole Miller.

Lol at the most divisionally relevant fight (Elliott/Makovsky) being second from the bottom on the worst card of all time. Then when one of these guys is fighting DJ at some point Dana will say we aren't true fans when we don't buy the ppv.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by CPT » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 pm

I was thinking the same thing about Elliot/Makovsky.

If we add the qualifier "worst card on American soil" to exclude some event they had in like Iceland at 3AM, this has to be it, right?
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:Lol at the most divisionally relevant fight (Elliott/Makovsky) being second from the bottom on the worst card of all time. Then when one of these guys is fighting DJ at some point Dana will say we aren't true fans when we don't buy the ppv.

And the only other UFC top 10 fighter (unless I overlooked someone) is also on the prelims.

What was the fight that was supposed to be on this card?
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by CPT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:53 am

Brown vs. someone. Saffiedine maybe? Which wouldn't exactly save this card, to be honest.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:16 am

Thompson out, and the worst card of all time gets much worse. Just cancel this one.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:15 am

Cole Miller main event!
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#8 » by Bernman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Seriously, now they might take Cowboy. He lobbied to be on this card in his home state, and it's only a weight class above his where he's huge. If he loses to Thatch, which it's highly likely he would, they can just explain it away on the increase, and have him fight Khabib in a few months still, otherwise put Khabib on ice for next title shot around July if he's not such a stickler about Ramadan.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#9 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:Thompson out, and the worst card of all time gets much worse. Just cancel this one.

Yeah, maybe. I thought that was a hot fight, really interesting clash of styles and, like, prodigal skills. Without it? Jeez/
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:56 pm

Bestfightodds took this is event down, maybe they think it's cancelled.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,736

Post#11 » by GSP » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:15 am

Thatch VS Bendo announced!!!!
Benson is gonna get knocked out viciously
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#12 » by REDDzone » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:22 am

Lol just read on twitter that Cowboy called Dana and said he would fight Woodley. Dana responded have a nice weekend Donald. haha Cowboy is funny.

Dana also confirmed that Vitor turned down the Machida fight. Says they will offer Vitor someone else but won't say who. Lol I guess Dana said Vitor called him and asked for an interim title, Dana said okay you fight Machida...Vitor said thanks but no thank you. I'm not seeing the quotes but twitter says that Vitor is being thrown under the bus by Dana.

lol
[tweet]https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/561771508125532161[/tweet]
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by CPT » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:12 pm

Is this competitive? Is the size difference enough of an equalizer?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Sun Feb 1, 2015 4:31 pm

CPT wrote:Is this competitive? Is the size difference enough of an equalizer?

Literally every single person on Twitter/forums last night were sayig thatch was going to KO Bendo.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by CPT » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:
CPT wrote:Is this competitive? Is the size difference enough of an equalizer?

Literally every single person on Twitter/forums last night were sayig thatch was going to KO Bendo.

Hmmm. Is that accurate or just reactionary?

I think of Thatch as one of those 30 year old prospects who didn't quite live up to the hype, but maybe that's not fair.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#16 » by Bernman » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:32 pm

Not live up to the hype.....by getting injured? The last time we saw him he was destroying opponents. The hype quieted down from a layoff.

I think this is Bendo's toughest fight of his career, outside AP the 2nd time. And my thinking about how it'll play out is, if little RDA was lighting him up early, what will a monstrous Brandon Thatch do to him at this point? Also, if you watched Bendo in amateurs, you'd have seen a guy named Chad Klingensmith at 170 dwarf him and knock him silly over a couple rounds. It was a long time ago, but still the size difference should be about the same. I too am guessing this will be a massacre. Bendo is going to need to pull a Clay Guida against Taco Gomi, or maybe even Guida vs. Maynard to have a chance. Use his footwork to avoid, tire his opponent, and score. If he gets tired enough, capitalize with a td, gnp, and maybe sub. All Rukus' wins have come in the 1st rd, his lone loss by (split) decision, so maybe his gas tank is a real issue.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: UFC Fight Night 60 (2/14): Bendo vs. Thatch 

Post#17 » by CPT » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:03 am

Fair enough. Obviously I'm underestimating Thatch.

Will be interesting to see how championship level at one weight class compares to a prospect the next weight class up.

Kind of a lose-lose scenario for Bendo. I mean, it's not like people will really hold it against him if he loses, but it will still be a loss, and I'm not sure how much a win would count for.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#18 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 2, 2015 3:28 pm

CPT wrote:Fair enough. Obviously I'm underestimating Thatch.

Will be interesting to see how championship level at one weight class compares to a prospect the next weight class up.

Kind of a lose-lose scenario for Bendo. I mean, it's not like people will really hold it against him if he loses, but it will still be a loss, and I'm not sure how much a win would count for.

We'll find out if you are underestimating him. I've heard him spoken of as the future at WW. I'd think he would be able to beat up a smaller guy coming off two straight losses (who imo is feeling the effects of brain damage at this point, based on his speech patterns) if that was the case.

You also have to wonder if they would consider cutting Bendo if he loses. Just because he makes decent money and doesn't really finish.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,783

Post#19 » by NZB2323 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:03 pm

I see this as a win-win for Benson. Everyone should give him props for agreeing to a fight on short notice in 2 weight classes above his normal weight class after fighting recently. Nobody holds the Machida loss against BJ Penn or for MWs losing to HWs in Pride.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#20 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:16 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I see this as a win-win for Benson. Everyone should give him props for agreeing to a fight on short notice in 2 weight classes above his normal weight class after fighting recently. Nobody holds the Machida loss against BJ Penn or for MWs losing to HWs in Pride.

I'll disagree here. If I'm on fightfinder in a year, I will be looking at records as opposed to the date of the fight.

Also, cpt is obviously a hardcore fan, and he assumed that Bendo would smash Thatch. People don't know who this guy is, but he is supposedly a killer and will be much bigger than Benson. People just casually tuning in (this is on fs1 and not fightpass) will be surprised is Benson loses to someone they have never heard of...

Also there is the whole potential for a 3 fight losing streak for Benson. Oh, and none of that is even mentioning how much worse his slur could get if he gets KOed by a much bigger fighter in Thatch.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts