UFC 192(Oct 3): DC vs Gus

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 192(Oct 3): DC vs Gus 

Post#81 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:21 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Bernman wrote:I bet you thought, "see, I knew Cormier would take over, when he got that first takedown".

Yes. I do think he could have made it easier for himself if he had wrestled more.

Agreed. I said before the fight though that Cormier would win any way he wanted and I hold to that. I didn't think Gus would make it so damn hard on him though.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#82 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:23 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannySeguraTV/status/650537748558925824[/tweet]
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#83 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:25 am

spykelee wrote:Cormier won yea but he took some damage no question and even though gus was beat up, he kept moving, dancing... kept that pace up. I thought he'd have a good shot against Jones and a decent shot tonight and in both cases he put up a hell of a fight. If he had grabbed that right wrist earlier in those clinches he just might have won tonight.

He is a good fighter and his performance was inspiring. They don't get any tougher, maybe not even as tough.

That said, let's not go overboard by calling him champ level. He isn't top even 3, and his division is bad. He was clearly beaten by #1, clearly beaten by #2, and flattened like a pancake by #3.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#84 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:32 am

REDDzone wrote:That said, let's not go overboard by calling him champ level. He isn't top even 3, and his division is bad. He was clearly beaten by #1, clearly beaten by #2, and flattened like a pancake by #3.

And submitted by #5ish. If Jones is back for the next title fight, they should give Gus him Bader. That'd give him a chance for his best win.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:35 am

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:That said, let's not go overboard by calling him champ level. He isn't top even 3, and his division is bad. He was clearly beaten by #1, clearly beaten by #2, and flattened like a pancake by #3.

And submitted by #5ish. If Jones is back for the next title fight, they should give Gus him Bader. That'd give him a chance for his best win.

I would very much like to see Gus/Bader and Gus/Glover. I'm not sure I've seen anything since Glover KOed Bader to make me think that Bader is better than Glover, actually.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#86 » by Bernman » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:36 am

REDDzone wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:
Bernman wrote:I bet you thought, "see, I knew Cormier would take over, when he got that first takedown".

Yes. I do think he could have made it easier for himself if he had wrestled more.

Agreed. I said before the fight though that Cormier would win any way he wanted and I hold to that. I didn't think Gus would make it so damn hard on him though.

He tried to wrestle more, but he got virtually shut down, and then taken down a couple times himself. I think he got the first one, then officially he missed the next 4, but was working heavily in the clinch too, but Gus would fight the hands, get unders, then push and run.

Jones was 1-11 on td's vs. Gus. Didn't get one when he was gassed. Maybe Cormier could have gotten them in the 5th round of this fight too, when he wasn't fending off the clinch diligently. But it wouldn't have made a difference score-wise, and he would have had a worse shot of finishing. Mr. Gustafsson is just a tough nut to crack. Regardless, if he's not a champion, I think people have to accept he's a super tough out for champions, unless they are on a juice diet.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#87 » by Bernman » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:37 am

Jasen777 wrote:And submitted by #5ish. If Jones is back for the next title fight, they should give Gus him Bader. That'd give him a chance for his best win.

That was a long arse time ago. Gus was young, and he's improved his wrestling DRAMATICALLY since then, in part thanks to Phil himself. I highly doubt he'd lose that fight today. I think Gus has found his level at #4 LHW in the world, or #3 not obviously dirty one.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#88 » by Bernman » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:39 am

REDDzone wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannySeguraTV/status/650537748558925824[/tweet]

He's so obviously high. Wired and semi-intelligible. He's going to keep getting away with it.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#89 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:39 am

Bernman wrote:He tried to wrestle more, but he got virtually shut down, and then taken down a couple times himself.

Those take downs were great timing by Gus, catching DC off balance. And maybe you're right DC wouldn't have gotten any (though I think he would), but I don't remember him even trying the last 3 rounds.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:40 am

Bernman wrote: I think Gus has found his level at #4 LHW in the world, or #3 not obviously dirty one.

He might could beat Rumble if he doesn't eye poke him.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#91 » by Bernman » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:46 am

Jasen777 wrote:Those take downs were great timing by Gus, catching DC off balance. And maybe you're right DC wouldn't have gotten any (though I think he would), but I don't remember him even trying the last 3 rounds.

Cormier is more of a clinch wrestler. He's not shooting at distance much with that body type to get obviously shut down as fighters do. If he doesn't get deep into a td attempt, it's hard to know what trying looks like. Gus was fighting the hands effectively, getting unders, and then pushing off until the fif. I think he just adjusted to the style.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#92 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:04 am

I didn't see the quote but media on twitter is saying that Dana implied that he would give Gus a rematch rather than give Bader a shot lol. (I'm guessing that is only if Bones isn't coming back.)
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:18 am

REDDzone wrote:I didn't see the quote but media on twitter is saying that Dana implied that he would give Gus a rematch rather than give Bader a shot lol. (I'm guessing that is only if Bones isn't coming back.)

I mean I get Bader is boring, but that's rough...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#94 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:25 am

Biggest problem with Gus is probably his chin. He uses his length so well, but when you get past that, he lets himself eat shots because he knows he can handle it.

Great trait in a real fight, bad in a sport where points matter.

He's a freaking warrior, and gave both Jones and Cormier the best fights anyone ever has really.(outside of bones beating DC).

He obviously raises his level against the cream of the crop. I think Jones and DC are the best two fighters in the world without a pound for pound stipulation. Gus has pushed them both to the breaking point with toughness, and sheer will.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#95 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:52 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Biggest problem with Gus is probably his chin. He uses his length so well, but when you get past that, he lets himself eat shots because he knows he can handle it.

Great trait in a real fight, bad in a sport where points matter.

He's a freaking warrior, and gave both Jones and Cormier the best fights anyone ever has really.(outside of bones beating DC).

He obviously raises his level against the cream of the crop. I think Jones and DC are the best two fighters in the world without a pound for pound stipulation. Gus has pushed them both to the breaking point with toughness, and sheer will.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Totally agree. I thought that's what lost him the fight, besides DC pushing the pace in the closing seconds of most rounds while Gus back pedaled. Gus relying on his chin is fine but it just doesn't look good on judges. For every 5 upper cuts DC through in the clinch, Gus maybe got 1 off while trying to get a hold of DC's right.

It was an awesome fight and a tremendous, championship-level effort by both guys and I think even though Gus lost, he brought the right game plan.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#96 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:25 pm

Making a guy named Islam fight in Texas seems unnecessarily cruel.

At least they effed with the right wingers by making him fight a South American?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#97 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:46 pm

What crazy will from Jouban. Wow. Immediately back to his feet looking for more.

He musta seen a re-play eventually, he was shaking the Chechen dude's hand a minute or two later - seemed to totally concede things. I wish they would show more of these moments immediately after fights end. Have a screen within screen of the two fighters, as you air the re-plays. And GOD DAMNIT always, always let us hear what the fighters say to one another. I would have loved to hear the conversation.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#98 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:49 pm

Considering the Russian dude is an orthodox fighter, that was a vicious straight left he used to finish Jouban.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#99 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:06 pm

Finishing the 3rd round of Cormier vs Gus. I'm so hard right now. This is a thing of beauty. Two relaxed, fearless fighters... masters in the pocket.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#100 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:26 pm

Why would DC want to do anything other than save himself for one final fight and then ride-off? Take a re-match with Gus...Why? He has post-fighting career opportunities.

That said, he's now my fave athlete to watch. Over-took Roy Jones Jr last night. Golovkin a strong #2.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts