UFC 193 (11/14): Rousey vs. Holm (Australia)

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: UFC 193 (11/14): Rousey vs. Holm (Australia) 

Post#241 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:20 am

High 5 wrote:Then there were all the other times she got punched without an answer, and the epic whiff, and the getting head-kicked out of consciousness. I don't train UFC, so maybe that was actually a sneaky jiu-jitsu technique.

It's a judo toss. You're supposed to get hold of the foot with your teeth and use that to flip your opponent. It's a technique for 6th dan black belts, so it's no surprise she couldn't pull it off.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#242 » by Shaazzam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 am

roy_jones_calderon wrote:I just think you have to be mindful of your environment. Social intelligence.

Or you don't open a thread discussing an event that you don't want to have spoiled because you haven't watched it yet. Actual intelligence.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#243 » by spykelee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:28 am

roy_jones_calderon wrote:If you spoil a big fight result by blabbing about it in an open public space less than 12 hours after the fight, before people have presumably had a chance to download it, you deserve to be dragged out into the street and shot. MY GOD.

WTF? :o

Fight was over man. You can't spoil an event that has already taken place.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#244 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 am

What a display of perfect game planning and focus to follow that game plan. Holly made Ronda looked absolutely amateurish out there and that really just showed how low level Ronda's striking has always been. Not to take anything away from Holly since she's a fantastic striker but also this does speak loudly to the level of striking the womens's BW division exhibits when no one could take advantage of the holes in Ronda's striking.

I think this exposes Ronda’s coaching more than it does Ronda. There was an op-ed piece on bloodyelbow about Ronda’s coaching being the luckiest guy in MMA since he’s a fairly mediocre coach who happened to have the most gifted female fighter in a sport where the competition is still in its infancy. I don't buy that Ronda was trying to strike with Holly since, to me, it looked like she was trying to use her combinations to close the distance and grapple. But her approach was tippy-toe BJ levels of idiocy. Instead of cutting off the catch she was chasing an excellent counter striker and her approach didn't change in the second round either. Oh and let's not forget the "coaching" she got from Edmund which included comments such as "beautiful work" and "great".
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#245 » by CPT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 am

I think dumping Edmund and getting with a real camp is the move to make.

There's nothing else she could do that would change my thoughts about a rematch as much.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#246 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:27 am

Modulate
Rookie
And1: 1,407

Post#247 » by Modulate » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 am

Look, EVERYONE knew that Holm was the better striker. Ronda faced 'better' strikers than her a lot of times though. Obviously not on the same level that Holm is but still.

To me, the deciding factor was that Holly was able to get out of Ronda's clinch and also get up quick after she got taken down. Hell, she even took Ronda down...and she wasn't in any trouble at all. That first round was amazing. She answered all the questions that Rousey opponents usually face. And then Holm came out with a vengeance in the 2nd and whupped ass. I loved every moment of it.

I don't really have anything against Ronda herself but I certainly enjoy this making the ridiculous hype machine surrounding her grind to a halt. Dana White must be on suicide watch.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#248 » by SDM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 am

Jasen777 wrote:
High 5 wrote:Then there were all the other times she got punched without an answer, and the epic whiff, and the getting head-kicked out of consciousness. I don't train UFC, so maybe that was actually a sneaky jiu-jitsu technique.

It's a judo toss. You're supposed to get hold of the foot with your teeth and use that to flip your opponent.

This is perfectly illustrated in the new UFC Judo shirt.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#249 » by SDM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:39 am

CPT wrote:I think dumping Edmund and getting with a real camp is the move to make.

There's nothing else she could do that would change my thoughts about a rematch as much.

Should go to Alpha Male (seriously).
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#250 » by Headliner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:28 pm

I think RJC was referring to facebook and twitter, not this thread.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#251 » by Shaazzam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Headliner wrote:I think RJC was referring to facebook and twitter, not this thread.

It's still ridiculous. Social media is inherently reactionary. If you don't want to know what is going on in the world, than disconnect yourself from it. Do not expect others to not comment on things going on.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#252 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:17 pm

SDM wrote:Should go to Alpha Male (seriously).

Do they even have a striking coach?
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#253 » by Headliner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
Headliner wrote:I think RJC was referring to facebook and twitter, not this thread.

It's still ridiculous. Social media is inherently reactionary. If you don't want to know what is going on in the world, than disconnect yourself from it. Do not expect others to not comment on things going on.

Agreed, but a lot less ridiculous than saying no one should post it in the thread, which some people thought he meant.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by Shaazzam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Rousey should drop count chocula and get with an intelligent team. She's done great working with what seems to be very little intellect in her training. What could a top tier gym with real strategists do for her?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Shaazzam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

Kampmann, no?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#256 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

Kampmann, no?

He's either part-time there or else on his way out. I know he isn't the permanent solution though and I think they are looking.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#257 » by LLJ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:54 pm

I haven't watched every Rousey fight in her career, but I find it difficult to believe that out of the other 12 opponents she beat that some of them didn't attempt the same strategy or have at least a similar repertoire of striking weapons. Rousey had usually always managed to close the distance no matter what. We've never seen her take this much punishment before, so I'll give Rousey credit that she actually has a pretty good chin for what amounted to a standing fight between a poor boxer and a very accomplished one, and she took quite a lot of nasty point blank fists to the face before going down, so she's still able to eat a few of them if only she could just close in quicker and crisper. Obviously Holm is a tremendous striker and showed her long resume in the fight, but you have to think that if Rousey could just figure out a way to really get her to the ground and this time lock on instead of losing her like she did the first time, she'd be able to take down Holm. We know she can win 90% of the battles on the ground--she's an Olympic medalist in Judo and Holm is not--and you can't let someone with no real experience in that kind of ground game like Holm managing to escape. The escape was really costly for Rousey and Holm wasn't going to let it happen again. If the rematch occurs and Rousey is able to get her in the armbar again I find it difficult to believe Holm will escape a second time. That said, I'd still favor Holm in a rematch because she has proven very difficult to out-footwork so Rousey is going to have to decide whether to be patient and wait for an opportunity to close in (not a good idea as that favors Holm) or just go right in early and take some bad shots while she's still cognizant and hope she still has enough daylight in her to finish the job on the ground, which is a huge gamble, but seems her best chance. She hesitated and backed off after getting hit, and that allowed Holm space to do her thing.

As far as Rousey being unprepared and too busy doing photo shoots and talk shows than training...it can make some difference in her sharpness, core strength, and coordination of movements. Honestly she almost looked drunk out there at times--and this was even before she got punched in the face 5 or 6 times.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#258 » by Headliner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Personally, I think she lost because of hubris. She wanted to beat Holm on the feet, and only realized that she couldn't too late. By the time it sunk in that she wasn't as good on the feet, she'd ate multiple straights and elbows and wasn't in the condition to be able to go in, eat some major shots and muscle out a take down.

They commented on how she didn't run right in with a flurry of punches like she usually does...that was also a mistake. That's one of her main tactics. Close the gap fast, eat some hits in the process, maul them and break arm.

These last few months, her PR team has been blowing smoke up her ass telling her she's the greatest striker ever. She gets put on a Boxing magazine, she's actually believing and mouthing off about being able to beat Mayweather.... So her ego is in overdrive. She thinks she will just beat the snot out of this female boxer, and she was wrong.

If RR gets a new camp, and deflates her ego, she has a shot, but Holm is huge and not some girl that can easily be thrown around. That's kryptonite for RR
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#259 » by ash_k » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:03 pm

The analysis:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3stwtCmWTA[/youtube]
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#260 » by Cammo101 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Headliner wrote:Personally, I think she lost because of hubris. She wanted to beat Holm on the feet, and only realized that she couldn't too late. By the time it sunk in that she wasn't as good on the feet, she'd ate multiple straights and elbows and wasn't in the condition to be able to go in, eat some major shots and muscle out a take down.

They commented on how she didn't run right in with a flurry of punches like she usually does...that was also a mistake. That's one of her main tactics. Close the gap fast, eat some hits in the process, maul them and break arm.

These last few months, her PR team has been blowing smoke up her ass telling her she's the greatest striker ever. She gets put on a Boxing magazine, she's actually believing and mouthing off about being able to beat Mayweather.... So her ego is in overdrive. She thinks she will just beat the snot out of this female boxer, and she was wrong.

If RR gets a new camp, and deflates her ego, she has a shot, but Holm is huge and not some girl that can easily be thrown around. That's kryptonite for RR

This is pretty much my take as well.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts