Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#561 » by CPT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:36 pm

I think the drawing power of Hendo is being way overstated here.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,378

Post#562 » by phanman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:04 pm

CPT wrote:I think the drawing power of Hendo is being way overstated here.

Its a different type of draw though, the aura surrounding his final fight, his redemption at at finally getting UFC gold, Bisping's revenge on the a brutal KO, and overall it'll probably be going to be in the UK which would stands to grow exponentially if Bisping successfully makes a title defense there.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#563 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:36 pm

In a random fight against a random opponent maybe. But, in a title fight rematch with Michael Bisping...that the UFC can sell.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#564 » by Headliner » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm

"I actually has some people reach out to me saying, ‘Georges St. Pierre is interested in fighting you,' and I was like, ‘really?'" Bisping told Fox Sports Live. "It was something that I didn't expect. Some people from his camp...Tell him to sign on the dotted line - just like Henderson - if he wants to come out of retirement."

St. Pierre has been rumored to be returning to the UFC for months now. Most expect him to eventually return but who he would fight has always been the question. The two most obvious fights are current UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and long time sought after superfight opponent, Anderson Silva. While Bisping did float a GSP superfight earlier this week, the fact that St. Pierre's people reached out to Bisping means this fight should now be given some serious credence. In the past when talking about the possibilty of moving up in weight to face Silva, St. Pierre always said he would like to take time off to put on the weight properly. Perhaps he has been doing just that the past few years and a money fight title shot is looming.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,778

Post#565 » by NZB2323 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm going to have to strongly disagree. There are multiple angles that work for that story- Hendo might be able to finally get a UFC belt, Bisping might be able to get revenge for UFC 100, Bisping won as a huge underdog so why can't Hendo?

All 3 of those are stories that the UFC PR team can put out and those topics can be discussed and people will watch the fight. In one day I could write a print article, a radio commercial, and a youtube commercial for the fight surrounding all of those storylines.

If you want to go by merit, don't give Hendo the fight. If you want to make the most money, give Hendo the fight. I thought Hendo should have retired after losing to Cormier, but I'd be lying if I said I won't be watching.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#566 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 pm

I don't even know where to start on this Fedor fight.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#567 » by CPT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:10 pm

There's an easy story to tell for Bisping-Hendo II, sure, I just have my doubts it actually translates into some huge buyrate.

How much extra business does it really bring in over Bisping-Jacare? IMO both fights are on the low end of title fight draws, and the added business of Bisping-Hendo doesn't justify making such a joke of a fight.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#568 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I don't even know where to start on this Fedor fight.

That was the worst instance of a ref not stopping a fight when the fight should have been stopped that I've ever seen. He was knocked the **** out, yet the fight continued. That was just a dude being forced to deliver multiple concussions and probable degenerative brain impairments to another helpless dude. Was not fun to watch.

Bizarre after that. I don't know if Maldonado punched himself out or didn't want to literally murder Fedor or simply was too grateful to Fedor that he didn't want to inflict damage. Really weird.

Those announcers are hilariously bad btw.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#569 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Sounds like the fight should have been a draw. Also, saw a gif and that should def have been stopped. Fedor woke back up from strikes.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#570 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:29 am

ronnymac2 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I don't even know where to start on this Fedor fight.

That was the worst instance of a ref not stopping a fight when the fight should have been stopped that I've ever seen. He was knocked the **** out, yet the fight continued. That was just a dude being forced to deliver multiple concussions and probable degenerative brain impairments to another helpless dude. Was not fun to watch.

Bizarre after that. I don't know if Maldonado punched himself out or didn't want to literally murder Fedor or simply was too grateful to Fedor that he didn't want to inflict damage. Really weird.

Those announcers are hilariously bad btw.

That's pretty much the gist of it. Horrible, shot looking fighters, horrible ref, horrible judges, horrible announcers. If you wanted Fedor in the UFC yesterday, you need to reconsider today, because he is beyond done.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#571 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Making my way through the Fight Companion this aft while biking around. A whole bunch of cool gossip let slip, I'm forgetting a couple. But one thing Schaub mentioned is that Wonderboy is a dude who will be brought to tears in the locker room out of fear/anxiety/whatever before going out to fight. Schaub's alluded to fighters he's seen in this state over the years, never given names (he's talked about guys he's seen begging to not have to go out).
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#572 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Super curious about the Mendes thing. What was it?

"I didn't do my homework and that was a big mistake. I own it and I'm going to pay for it." Firstly, what a contradiction to say "I own...someone else deceiving me". Secondly, if he's implying a tained supplement, then he was probs flagged for steroids.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#573 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:22 am

Was the C.M. Punk fight announcement news not relayed here, or did I miss it? I thought that would have generated plenty of convo here since it was a serious question if he ever really planned to step in the cage. RZ, oh ye of little faith. Fighting 2-0 "Mickey Gall" on September 10th. Who he was expected to fight if everything went right earlier. Seems about a fair opponent. Only 2 fights into his career, and background appears to be bjj. So he could theoretically have an advantage on the feet and be game on the ground which is supposedly his best art. We're kind of in the dark here. It should be interesting.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#574 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 am

Not sure whatever happened to the non zuffa mma thread but just watched Rick's fight right now, these dudes were sliding around the cage like a slip and slide. Hope RG gets his shot in the ufc now, at 18-3 and as a former major promotion title holder, there can't be too many better fighters outside of the ufc. Legitimately one of the nicest people you could ever meet as well.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#575 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:29 am

Why make him fight at all outside the UFC, given his resume? That's pretty disrespectful. He should even start in the middle of the 145 lb division. Some of the best gnp in the biz.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#576 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:34 am

Bernman wrote:Why make him fight at all outside the UFC, given his resume? That's pretty disrespectful. He should even start in the middle of the 145 lb division. Some of the best gnp in the biz.

I think they were going to book him, but CM Punk filled the last slot on the card.

This may come off as excuse making, but the canvas they were just fighting on was so terrible, slip and slide, literally both guys were sliding around the mats. I think it took away one of his huge weapons in the GnP, especially since his wrestling was superior and there were several situations where he was standing over his opponent and couldn't get the traction to unleash that GnP from above.

Anyway, I agree with you, but I know he has been trying to get the call for awhile now. I think he left wsof specifically to get the call, actually. Has called out the ufc after his last two victories, was also on fight pass tonight, so hopefully somebody is paying attention somewhere.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#577 » by Headliner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Nick Diaz and Bisping talked about a fight. Diaz wants to fight him...but at 178.

Sounds like he's trying to transition to 170? I probably wants that red panty night with Connor lol.
Can't see any other reason for a catch weight. Nick has fought at 170 lots of times though, so no clue why he couldn't switch back.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#578 » by REDDzone » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:39 am

RIP Jimmo.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#579 » by spykelee » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:21 am

Yea just heard that RZ. Crazy. A hit and run? That's awful. Rip

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#580 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Bah. Lousy to hear. He had such terrible luck in the cage, weird mishaps and whatnot.

It sounds like he had gotten out to confront two dudes in a pick-up when they peeled out and struck him. Alberta.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts