Which fighters you favor over Bones right now?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 548

Re: Which fighters you favor over Bones right now? 

Post#21 » by Gregoire » Thu May 12, 2016 9:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:He might not dominate the clinch, but I don't think either Overeem or Werdum win that exchange. Neither guy is going to land more efficiently or more volume than Jones will at range either. I think people are underestimating how athletic he is compared to the heavyweights because we always seem to see him fight guys smaller than him it seems.

It is intriguing as hell though. I'd love to see him fight Werdum, Hunt,

One of his better attributes is that he doesn't let many big shots land flush, and even when he does, he gets out of harms way quick and doesn't allow combinations or multiple big shots to land in succession that can end fights or change the complexion of a fight.

The thing I'd worry about if I were betting on Werdum, I think he'd be too happy to end up with Jon on top of him, and he might catch him in something, but he'd eat a bunch of elbows in the process, and it might be too late before he realizes that he's be better served getting back up. Either a TKO or eating a lot of damage that sways the fight, or leaves him cut up and battered.

Overeem would have to win by KO. Don't think he can grind Bones to a 5 round decision. Don't think he is close to Jones gas tank, and he's usually the guy with the reach and athleticism advantage when striking, and hems giving up 4-5 inches, and I don't think 35 year old Alistair is close to being quick and fleet of foot enough to get in range to land clean and often enough to put Jones away. Like I said, Jones chin and mental toughness hasn't been shown to be anything but amazing at this point. I think Hunt has a better shot than Overeem because of his style and chin, honestly.

It's interesting as hell. I'd love to see him fight Overeem, Werdum, Hunt, Rothwell, Jds, even Cain maybe. Most of these guys present a new set of problems and challenges that Jones hasn't faced, and watching him basically since he's been on the radar, I like how he's always met that challenge, and I love seeing him face adversity to see what he does.

I had questions about his power and wrestling early on, and then watching him ragdoll and toss around guys like Rampage, that are stupidly strong, and completely impose his will on seasoned monsters and former/current champions.

The only worry after to me is how he'd react when things aren't going right for him. Is he Mike Tyson? Is he going to break mentally and gas out when things aren't going his way? When Vitor slapped that arm bar on, I thought his run was done. Mentally and physically that's a ton to overcome, and he broke out of it, and beat the piss out of a roided up monster that was seemingly peaking all over again.

After that, Gustaffson did an amazing job both eating hard shots from everywhere, and he negated Jones' comfort zone and forced him to fight his fight his fight for 5 brutal rounds, and Jones prevailed.

When he finally fough DC, to me, it was the fight I needed to see. DC was clearly the most dominant and powerful wrestler at heavyweight, and I wanted to see how Jones could react to that type of explosive wrestling, takedowns, and throws that DC was known for. Great fight, but it was another one where Jones was clearly not worried about DC's grappling, and the further the fight went, the more lopsided it got.

Maybe I'm biased because I thought and still think DC is the best heavyweight if he chooses to be, and you guys are more familiar with what guys like Overeem and Werdum have done in other organizations, so I respect the insight and opinions and love to hear more, and I know that anyone can get beat in the fight game, even when you least expect it, but I think he's a favorite over all the heavyweights, and a very comfortable favorite over most.

Great post! We shouldnt forget, that Werdum, Overeem, DC andeven Cain are all alot older than Bones.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#22 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:06 am

Again, I'm not saying I'd favor anyone at any weight over Jones but I'd ceratinly put Overeem and Werdum right up at the top of the list of HW's that could trouble Jones and potentially beat him. I'd still favor Jones over both of them though.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#23 » by Gregoire » Fri May 13, 2016 4:45 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Again, I'm not saying I'd favor anyone at any weight over Jones but I'd ceratinly put Overeem and Werdum right up at the top of the list of HW's that could trouble Jones and potentially beat him. I'd still favor Jones over both of them though.

What chance out of 10 fights you give Reem and Doom vs Jones?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#24 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:48 am

Gregoire wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Again, I'm not saying I'd favor anyone at any weight over Jones but I'd ceratinly put Overeem and Werdum right up at the top of the list of HW's that could trouble Jones and potentially beat him. I'd still favor Jones over both of them though.

Gregoire
Analyst

Post#25 » by Gregoire » Fri May 13, 2016 6:03 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Gregoire wrote:

Not very high probability....
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:43 am

It's not. That's why I say I'd still favor Jones over both. Jones is strongest in the clinch which is where I feel Werdum and Overeem would hold their own. But that could mean Jones will avoid the clinch and fight some other way.
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#27 » by Gregoire » Fri May 13, 2016 10:24 am

lilfishi22 wrote:It's not. That's why I say I'd still favor Jones over both. Jones is strongest in the clinch which is where I feel Werdum and Overeem would hold their own. But that could mean Jones will avoid the clinch and fight some other way.

Yes, I think Jones would fight with Overeem on the ground a lot of time and so with Werdum (and wouldnt subbed).
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#28 » by RalphWiggum » Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am

It would be interesting to see if Jones could handle the power of some heavyweights. Jones is used to fighting guys that usually have big weight cuts that have to sap some power from them. Fighting guys much stronger than he is used to and more willing to absorb a shot or two to land one of their own may present more of a problem than you'd think.

On the other hand he might very well do what he always does, control distance, confuse and frustrate fighters into not fighting their fight and be next to impossible to take down and then keep down.

The only fighter recently that Jones didn't break mentally as a result of almost totally dictating the terms of the fight was Alex (TRT Belfort to a lesser extent). That is what I consider to be Jones' greatest asset. Guys have a plan and can't see it through.

If he beats Cormier all that is left is Rumble so hopefully in the next year this may no longer be a hypothetical situation.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,386

Post#29 » by phanman » Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm

I'd love to see Bones vs Miocic.. That would be a nice fight to see. Both are cardio warriors, and Miocic has a 80" reach so Jones wouldn't be able to have a huge advantage on that end.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#30 » by Jasen777 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Miocic would be a interesting match up for Jones, and would go a long ways to answer the HW question for him. Almost said so earlier, should hvae. He's (more or less) a stronger Gus with more punching power.
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#31 » by Gregoire » Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 am

phanman wrote:I'd love to see Bones vs Miocic.. That would be a nice fight to see. Both are cardio warriors, and Miocic has a 80" reach so Jones wouldn't be able to have a huge advantage on that end.

Cardio warrior? Miocic cardio vs JDS was awful.
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#32 » by Gregoire » Wed May 18, 2016 5:29 am

RalphWiggum wrote:It would be interesting to see if Jones could handle the power of some heavyweights. Jones is used to fighting guys that usually have big weight cuts that have to sap some power from them. Fighting guys much stronger than he is used to and more willing to absorb a shot or two to land one of their own may present more of a problem than you'd think.

On the other hand he might very well do what he always does, control distance, confuse and frustrate fighters into not fighting their fight and be next to impossible to take down and then keep down.

The only fighter recently that Jones didn't break mentally as a result of almost totally dictating the terms of the fight was Alex (TRT Belfort to a lesser extent). That is what I consider to be Jones' greatest asset. Guys have a plan and can't see it through.

If he beats Cormier all that is left is Rumble so hopefully in the next year this may no longer be a hypothetical situation.

I think he didnt break DC mentally too. Or at least not fully.
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts