UFC up for sale?

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC up for sale? 

Post#81 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:35 pm

I think the UFC's plan is to get a better deal with the PPV companies in the sense of 1) retaining more revenue from buys, and 2) getting the right to show PPVs on network TV a shorter time after airing (I think now that right is limited or negotiated on a case by case basis or something). The re-airing of the 204 PPV did great numbers on fox, apparently. If the UFC can plan on re-airing big events a week or two later and getting huge ratings for that, maybe they could increase their deal. No clue if that hurts buys or not.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#82 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:36 pm

phanman wrote:Not to mention Fox was also trying to buy the UFC and got outbid by WME.

I hadn't heard that. If Fox is put off by that, that makes it even worse. At this rate, ESPN simply won't have the money (Disney has unlimited money though). NBC and CBS's sports networks have even less reach than Fox's.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#83 » by phanman » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:40 pm

All-in-all, the Fertitta brothers & Dana all made out like bandits :D

Dana got paaaaid while still maintaining top position with the company.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#84 » by Susan » Fri Jan 6, 2017 3:49 pm

REDDzone wrote:I think the UFC's plan is to get a better deal with the PPV companies in the sense of 1) retaining more revenue from buys, and 2) getting the right to show PPVs on network TV a shorter time after airing (I think now that right is limited or negotiated on a case by case basis or something). The re-airing of the 204 PPV did great numbers on fox, apparently. If the UFC can plan on re-airing big events a week or two later and getting huge ratings for that, maybe they could increase their deal. No clue if that hurts buys or not.

I doubt it would hurt buys. It would give them a great platform to pump up the next show, increase exposure and showcase talent in a unique way.

The 206 re-airing was pretty freaking good. They cherry picked the best fights, the commercials were less awkward than live events, they had time to show behind the scenes stuff which helped build up the fighters.

I think this method + following the WWE's route of free (or discounted) PPVs with FIght Pass subscriptions would really bring in more revenue.

I've been pretty anti-WME thus far but they know what they're doing in this segment of the business.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:46 pm

^^ Yea sorry I meant 206 re-airing, I said 204.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#86 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:49 pm

phanman wrote:All-in-all, the Fertitta brothers & Dana all made out like bandits :D

Well Dana is probably so rich that his kids' kids will only have to work if they want to.

Now that's out of the way, IDK if his compensation was disclosed, but it would be interesting to see how much of it was cash he got from the buyout and how much was equity in the new UFC. Because if it was tilted toward equity in the new UFC, then that is a risky proposition for him for the same reasons why the Fertittas are universally praised for their deal to get out of it. Just seems like lots of potentially falling knives right now with the UFC with all the focus on brain trauma, fighters' unions figuring it out, etc. Add to that the insane debt that was basically been graded as very high risk...who knows what could happen?
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#87 » by phanman » Fri Jan 6, 2017 7:58 pm

REDDzone wrote:
phanman wrote:All-in-all, the Fertitta brothers & Dana all made out like bandits :D

Well Dana is probably so rich that his kids' kids will only have to work if they want to.

Now that's out of the way, IDK if his compensation was disclosed, but it would be interesting to see how much of it was cash he got from the buyout and how much was equity in the new UFC. Because if it was tilted toward equity in the new UFC, then that is a risky proposition for him for the same reasons why the Fertittas are universally praised for their deal to get out of it. Just seems like lots of potentially falling knives right now with the UFC with all the focus on brain trauma, fighters' unions figuring it out, etc. Add to that the insane debt that was basically been graded as very high risk...who knows what could happen?

He paid 360m from the 4.2b payout and it states he signed a 5 year contract with them to remain president at a salary of 18m/year... for 90m, making out like a bandit with 450m :D

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/12/12163872/ufc-report-dana-white-earn-nine-percent-ufc-annual-net-profits-five-year-deal-mma
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#88 » by Susan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#89 » by Jasen777 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

UFC jumps back in the ring with US$100m loan

Mixed martial arts franchise Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is returning to the loan market to raise US$100m of incremental debt to back a potential earnings-based payout tied to its 2016 buyout, sources said.

Proceeds from the new debt are slated to back a payment due to the sellers if certain financial targets are hit. The buyout included two future payments of US$175m and US$75m if the company hit specific milestones. The first payment may be due during the second half of 2017.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#90 » by CPT » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:21 am

Jasen777 wrote:UFC jumps back in the ring with US$100m loan

Mixed martial arts franchise Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is returning to the loan market to raise US$100m of incremental debt to back a potential earnings-based payout tied to its 2016 buyout, sources said.

Proceeds from the new debt are slated to back a payment due to the sellers if certain financial targets are hit. The buyout included two future payments of US$175m and US$75m if the company hit specific milestones. The first payment may be due during the second half of 2017.

Article appears to be in a foreign language. Can you translate please?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Jasen777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 am

CPT wrote:Article appears to be in a foreign language. Can you translate please?

The UFC took out a loan because apparently they have to pay the Fertittas and White more money. Creditors are a little concerned about how much debt they have. Also the UFC is saying they plan to make $55 million in cost savings (cutting more people?).

* - I believe the Fertittas often took revenue out of the UFC as profit and covered expenses by getting loans instead.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts