GSP is back...looking for an opponent (Update pg. 3 - for real this time?)

Moderator: lilfishi22

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

GSP is back...looking for an opponent (Update pg. 3 - for real this time?) 

Post#1 » by Headliner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:31 am

In terms of potential opponents, St-Pierre pointed to newly minted middleweight champion Michael Bisping as his preferred foe but also indicated that he could drop down to the lightweight division. That throws open the door to a number of interesting fights, including Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz and Rafael Dos Anjos.

While there aren't any specifics, St-Pierre fans can officially get excited about his career again and will hopefully be impressed by his return performance—whenever that may be..

Great to have him back.
Personally, I'd love to see him take out Bisping, then drop to 155 if that is realistic. It would be amazing to see in three divisions.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: GSP is back...looking for an opponent 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 am

Where are you seeing this? Not seeing any news on GSP being back at the usual sites.

If true, Carlos Condit is looking for a dance partner. His stock has never been higher coming off his "win" over Lawler. That's a fun rematch that would tell us where GSP fits in the new WW division. If he's only looking for big money fights, Bisping or waiting for Conor makes some sense.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Headliner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Just google GSP, it's all the top links.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/georges-stpierre-announces-ufc-return-keen-to-fight-michael-bisping-for-middleweight-title/news-story/5c58d9738c895198e253f24bb1cfa464

GEORGES St-Pierre is finally ready to make his return to fighting if a deal can be reached with the UFC - and he’s ready to take up middleweight champion Michael Bisping’s challenge.

St-Pierre revealed the news Monday, ending three years of speculation on whether the former welterweight champion would fight again following a self-imposed hiatus from the sport in 2013.

St-Pierre made it clear that a new deal with the UFC has to be reached before he would fully commit to a return, but he’s ready to fight again and committed to returning to the sport.

“I did a training camp to see where I’m at because I was training,” St-Pierre told MMAFighting, answering “Exactly - that’s what I’m saying” when asked if he was announcing his return.

“Being in shape and being in fighting shape is something different. I did a training camp to push myself and go back to the same, highest level of competition. I didn’t fight, but I put myself through a training camp and I sparred and everything and I did it successfully.

“Now I know for a fact I could go back and fight if my management and the UFC get to an agreement.

“I always said I would come back for something big. Something that gives me the chills. Something that makes me excited.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/20/11982548/georges-st-pierre-announces-he-is-ready-to-return-to-fighting
Georges St-Pierre announces he is ready to return to fighting

St-Pierre announced Monday on The MMA Hour that he has decided to end his nearly three-year hiatus and return to the Octagon, provided that his management and the UFC are able to come to terms on a deal.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Headliner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Where are you seeing this? Not seeing any news on GSP being back at the usual sites.

If true, Carlos Condit is looking for a dance partner. His stock has never been higher coming off his "win" over Lawler. That's a fun rematch that would tell us where GSP fits in the new WW division. If he's only looking for big money fights, Bisping or waiting for Conor makes some sense.

He doesn't want Condit imo, he wants legacy fights and money fights. Which, at this point of his career, he should be doing.

I expect his list is:
Bisping - Could win the 185 title, making him an elite two division champion, which is important for GOAT conversation.
Conor - The biggest money fight the UFC has ever seen. It would break records that would take a long time to break.
Dos Santos - If he can actually make it to 155, he would steam roll the competition and could stay in that division and run through it.
Silva - It would be the second biggest money fight he could have next to Conor, and the super fight 3 years too late. It would still be massive for legacy though.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#5 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 am

GSP is 35, hasn't fought in 3 years, has never competed at 155, and is coming off his second ACL reconstruction. I wouldn't take it for granted that he could just come back and "steam roll" the best division in the sport.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#6 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:26 am

REDDzone wrote:GSP is 35, hasn't fought in 3 years, has never competed at 155, and is coming off his second ACL reconstruction. I wouldn't take it for granted that he could just come back and "steam roll" the best division in the sport.

... But... he's GSP.
Thank you Clutch0z24
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#7 » by CPT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 am

I find it weird that he's willing to fight Bisping at 185 and also 155. I guess it would be one or the other, but even so, for a guy who was always so careful about everything, to just be like "**** it, I'll fight at whatever weight," especially with the new rules for weigh ins. Just fight the Conor/Diaz winner on NYE or Super Bowl weekend and go from there.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#8 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 am

CPT wrote:I find it weird that he's willing to fight Bisping at 185 and also 155. I guess it would be one or the other, but even so, for a guy who was always so careful about everything, to just be like "**** it, I'll fight at whatever weight," especially with the new rules for weigh ins. Just fight the Conor/Diaz winner on NYE or Super Bowl weekend and go from there.

Yea... He seemed awfully dismissive of fighting at 185 for years. Seems a little too convenient that he decides to when it's Bisping (who I honestly think beats him at this point.)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Headliner » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
CPT wrote:I find it weird that he's willing to fight Bisping at 185 and also 155. I guess it would be one or the other, but even so, for a guy who was always so careful about everything, to just be like "**** it, I'll fight at whatever weight," especially with the new rules for weigh ins. Just fight the Conor/Diaz winner on NYE or Super Bowl weekend and go from there.

Yea... He seemed awfully dismissive of fighting at 185 for years. Seems a little too convenient that he decides to when it's Bisping (who I honestly think beats him at this point.)

I don't think Bisping would beat GSP. Even with the height advantage that Bisping has, GSP still has the reach advantage, even if it is only an inch.
Bisping hasn't many wrestlers. Rockhold has some wrestling, but he's not a wrestler and he never even attempted a take down in their fight, which most would agree, Bisping probably got lucky in. Tim Kennedy has some wrestling, and Bisping lost that. Then there was Sonnen, and Bisping lost that.

If GSP were truly interested in fighting 155 AND 185, my guess is he would do Bisping at 185, the winner of Connor vs Nate at 170, and then 155 after...but all of that is in a perfect world, and I doubt it happens. That said, Bisping then the winner of Connor vs Nate would be really fun to watch, so I'm hoping for it.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#10 » by SDM » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:29 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:

Could be because of the IV thing (him being for 185 now).

But if he's talking about 155, probably not.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#11 » by SDM » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 am

Don't really wanna see this. Has anyone ever really left on top in this sport? Phillip Miller?

Definitely not like me to give a **** about someone's legacy, but yeah....
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Headliner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:14 pm

SDM wrote:Don't really wanna see this. Has anyone ever really left on top in this sport? Phillip Miller?

Definitely not like me to give a **** about someone's legacy, but yeah....

If he is still competitive, I'm for it. Leaving on the Hendrix fight is an awful way to go out. Taking out Bisping and Conor would be a much better way to go.
Silva made a legacy of fighting hand picked strikers, GSP should now pick and choose his fights to create his resume of names for his own legacy.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:42 pm

On one hand, I trust GSP to know if he still has it, if he's still competitive. On the other hand, he was clearly declining when he left the first time. What was the stat about him being hit more times in his final 4-5 fights than he had ever been hit prior? Or something crazy like that.

Doesn't help that he's in such a good division. I honestly wouldn't even be interested in the fight vs Nate though. We've seen that fight 100 times I feel. GSP has never lost that fight, Nate has never won it.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#15 » by Hilltop » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I hate to say it but I actually think Bisping could take him. Connor is the only fight that makes sense IMO. It presents the biggest payout and is very, very winnable.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#16 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Hilltop wrote:I hate to say it but I actually think Bisping could take him.

I think so too. Bisping's takedown defense is just ok, but that's against middleweights. And we won't be getting prime GSP.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#17 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:36 am

I'm ready...

put me in coach!
Thank you Clutch0z24
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#18 » by GSP » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:40 am

Hes not coming back. Its just annoying now.

Shut up GSP, youre the 2nd greatest ever unless Aldo has a strong finish to his career. Please just stop trying to get ur name in the headlines all the time.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 2, 2016 12:33 pm

GSP told Ariel that he wants the Woodley fight. Why do you guys think he would want Woodley but not want to fight Lawler at all? Lawler is certainly the bigger name. Is it because Firas knows Woodley well from the Rory fight? Not sure why else.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Headliner » Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:40 pm

Just to start a random conspiracy, maybe he knows that Lawler is a juicer and doesn't want that fight. Wants a clean fight. He didn't want the Hendrix fight, and new Johnny was juicer.

Or maybe he was angling for the Conor fight, but Dana said it's not happening, and he's taking the Woodly fight.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts