Rory MacDonald close to finalizing contract with Bellator MMA

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Rory MacDonald close to finalizing contract with Bellator MMA 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/24/12625654/rory-macdonald-close-to-finalizing-contract-with-bellator-mma

Rory MacDonald is close to finalizing a new fight contract with Bellator, MMA Fighting has learned. MacDonald's management team was informed Tuesday night by the UFC that they were not able to match the terms of a contract offered by Bellator.

While MacDonald has yet to put pen to paper, that is a formality at this point, sources say. So much so that the UFC has already removed him from their official welterweight rankings.

Bellator's biggest signing from the UFC? I didn't think the UFC would let him go. Koreshkov might be getting a (literally) bigger ex-UFC challenge.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Rory MacDonald close to finalizing contract with Bellator MMA 

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 pm

That is a huge get for them IMO. Rory is a great fighter and still only 27 years old.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#3 » by Headliner » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Wow...That's crazy. Glad to see it though, I like the idea of two competitive leagues.

Now expect Cowboy to get a massive pay as well, so they can set that fight up.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#4 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Crazy to think that despite falling short vs Lawler and Wonderboy, Rory has a relatively dominant win over the ufc's current champion.

Didn't happen all that long ago either.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#5 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:27 pm

I think the UFC would view Cowboy as too marketable and reliable to lose right now on a heater, fighting frequently, and being a fan favorite.

I'd target Larkin instead if I were them. Exciting, talented fighter on a bit of a streak too who they won't fight for nearly as hard. There is also a relationship w/ Coker there.

This does set up some interesting new fights for MacDonald and Bellator's ww roster. I'm talking effing Red King vs. Koreshkov, full cartilage Lima, MVP, etc.

The move is significant for the fighters and Bellator, in a vacuum.

But it doesn't signal some sort of sea-change. In fact it puts them one step closer to drowning. They're spending exponentially more than during the Rebney era between salaries and production, while having many less shows, and barely drawing more per show. It's not a recipe for success.

Then that's not good for Bellator as a #2 organization and competition. The UFC fighter's union has to be able to organize quickly and quietly behind the scenes, in spite of IMG's efforts to quell them, in order for there to be fair compensation and treatment in the long run. Bellator isn't doing their job being a smart and ambitious #2. Just one of those things.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#6 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm not too surprised. The way Rory was talking about FA and about the UFC, it definitely felt like he was on his way out. I don't think this, along with the Bendo and Mitrione signing, indicates any shift in the MMA landscape. Had Rory been on the cusp of a title shot, I don't think he would've left. It seemed like he's already run through 99% of the challenges at 170 in the UFC and already having lost to Lawler, Condit and Wonderboy. He's beaten Woodley previously but my feeling is that during contract negotiations, he would've asked for another title shot but coming off B2B losses to Wonderboy and Lawler and without a whole lot of marketability, I just don't think the UFC are looking at another Rory title shot any time soon.

Without the UFC gold within reach and having run through most other competition, I think it's a logical move to seek more pay at Bellator and potentially a WW title there. Good on ya, Rory!

It is sad to see him go though. He is genuinely a top 5 WW talent in the world. With his size, he could even potentially challenge for the 185 belt too.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#7 » by CPT » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 am

I didn't think this was that big of a deal, because I tend to think in PPV/ratings when it comes to marketability, and even with the Canadian market, I don't think Rory moves the needle in a major way there.

A friend of mine pointed out that while he's no GSP, he can headline any event in Canada. While the UFC has a ton of other non-Canadians who could headline events, they'd have to use one there and not somewhere else, where Rory could fill a gap. It also may help Bellator get into the Canadian market.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#8 » by Susan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 am

Doesn't matter. UFC has Platinum Mike!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

I wonder if Rogan will try to think of a new example when he goes on his once in every podcast rant about how scary the guys who grew up training mma are.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:46 pm

:rofl: at him leaving. Next GSP, my ass.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Nemesis21 wrote::rofl: at him leaving. Next GSP, my ass.

He just had a baby. Why is it lolworthy to go where you can make more money to support your family?
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Headliner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:10 pm

CPT wrote:I didn't think this was that big of a deal, because I tend to think in PPV/ratings when it comes to marketability, and even with the Canadian market, I don't think Rory moves the needle in a major way there.

A friend of mine pointed out that while he's no GSP, he can headline any event in Canada. While the UFC has a ton of other non-Canadians who could headline events, they'd have to use one there and not somewhere else, where Rory could fill a gap. It also may help Bellator get into the Canadian market.

That's very true, good point.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Headliner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Rory did a smart thing imo. He's not sniffing at a 170 title shot for at least 2-4 fights. That could be two years or so.
Why not go to Bellator, make a bundle of cash, and if you want to come back to the UFC after that contract expires, the opportunity is there.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:

He just had a baby. Why is it lolworthy to go where you can make more money to support your family?

Please show me where I said that. It's funny because he was hyped as the next GSP, and I don't think he is that good. He is boring.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:51 pm

They must have paid a **** fortune. For the ufc not to match? This is a tier or two up from Bendo and Davis, imo.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#16 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Please show me where I said that. It's funny because he was hyped as the next GSP, and I don't think he is that good. He is boring.

You LOLed at him leaving. I asked why that's funny. Okay so he isn't as good as GSP, there is an argument that nobody in mma history is.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#17 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

You LOLed at him leaving. I asked why that's funny. Okay so he isn't as good as GSP, there is an argument that nobody in mma history is.

No you also felt that you need to throw in the fact that he just had a kid and needs money for his family.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#18 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Just because I'm bored and can't let things go. Can you explain what you meant by this?

Nemesis21 wrote::rofl: at him leaving.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:06 am

Cerrone re-upped with the ufc.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#20 » by Susan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 am

Lebrons only won two rings. Michael Jordan my ass!

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts