UFC 205 (11/12: MSG, NY) McGregor vs. Alvarez, Woodley vs. Thompson, Jedrzejczyk vs. Kowalkiewicz

Moderator: lilfishi22

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,996
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: UFC 205 (11/12: MSG, NY) McGregor vs. Alvarez, Woodley vs. Thompson, Jedrzejczyk vs. Kowalkiewicz 

Post#61 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:50 am

Honestly, it might not be the fairest thing for guys fighting fight after fight and not getting a title shot, but as a fan, and probably for the overall health and growth of the sport, I'd rather they encourage more guys do champion vs champion fights without having to spend years defending or fighting what will amount to some worthy contenders, and probably some not so worthy, instead of just striking while the iron is hot. Conor Vs. Alvarez is way more interesting than rematches, or Conor trying to prove he belongs by fighting someone like Michael Johnson or something.

I know the two big names seemed to spark the craze(Ronda and Conor), but it's so nice to see guys and girls being so much more active. You look at most fighter's records, and you see one or two fights per year at most, and now it seems like everybody is squeezing in 3-4, and it just makes things flow and the divisions much more interesting because matchups happen earlier than they would have in the past.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC 205 (11/12: MSG, NY) McGregor vs. Alvarez, Woodley vs. Thompson, Jedrzejczyk vs. Kowalkiewicz 

Post#62 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Alvarez is shameless about winning by LnP, no?

Or am I thinking of Josh Thompson?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,248

Post#63 » by Shaazzam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:35 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Honestly, it might not be the fairest thing for guys fighting fight after fight and not getting a title shot, but as a fan, and probably for the overall health and growth of the sport, I'd rather they encourage more guys do champion vs champion fights without having to spend years defending or fighting what will amount to some worthy contenders, and probably some not so worthy, instead of just striking while the iron is hot. Conor Vs. Alvarez is way more interesting than rematches, or Conor trying to prove he belongs by fighting someone like Michael Johnson or something.

I know the two big names seemed to spark the craze(Ronda and Conor), but it's so nice to see guys and girls being so much more active. You look at most fighter's records, and you see one or two fights per year at most, and now it seems like everybody is squeezing in 3-4, and it just makes things flow and the divisions much more interesting because matchups happen earlier than they would have in the past.

Look at Weidman man. That dude doesn't fight.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#64 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:47 pm

REDDzone wrote:Watching some of this presser, Conor is a funny bastard.

Some schmo asked Conor who on the entire stage would present to him the hardest fight. Jeremy Stephens pipes in from the upper corner saying "I would!". It was basically the first time Stephens spoke because nobody gave a sh*t that he was there. Conor turns around with a look of disgust on his face and is just like "who the f*ck is this guy?" and everyone just started laughing. So hilarious.

Lol not to quote myself but please tell me someone else saw this clip?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Shaazzam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Some schmo asked Conor who on the entire stage would present to him the hardest fight. Jeremy Stephens pipes in from the upper corner saying "I would!". It was basically the first time Stephens spoke because nobody gave a sh*t that he was there. Conor turns around with a look of disgust on his face and is just like "who the f*ck is this guy?" and everyone just started laughing. So hilarious.

Awesome. Need to watch the whole presser.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#66 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Shaazzam wrote:Look at Weidman man. That dude doesn't fight.

Perfect example. He pretty much has a stated goal of fighting twice a year, IIRC. Also when you pull out of every other fight like he does, it gets ever worse. Also pretty sure I've heard him say he doesn't fight during summertime either lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#67 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Alvarez vs McGregor ***** Lightweight Championship*****
Woodley vs Thompson ***** Welterweight Championship*****
Jedrzejczyk vs Kowalkiewicz ***** Womens Strawweight Championship*****
Weidman vs Romero
Cowboy vs Gastelum

Khabib vs M Johnson
Tate vs Pennington
Edgar vs Stephens
Kennedy vs Evans

Boetsch vs Natal
J Miller vs T Alves
Good vs Muhammad
Carmouche vs Chookagain

This card is stacked from first fight to main event! Is Miller/Alves at 170? Catchweight?
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,348

Post#68 » by phanman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 pm

As a fan this card is absolutely stacked man. You could literally take half of the fights and put them on its own PPV and it would still sell nicely for a -non-McGregor/Rousey/GSP/Lesnar headliner.

I mean look at UFC 204 in comparison :D.

As a competitor though, you just feel for someone like Holloway. 9 fight win streak and has been as active as McGregor is with 4 fights a year. Dude is just a straight brawler and has that quiet personality which I think is the reason why he has been overlooked.

Even though he's said some pretty stupid things after the fight you also feel bad for someone like Aldo. 10 years undefeated, 18 fight win streak, 7 in the UFC. Even though he got ko'd in 13s, if anyone deserved a rematch its him.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,637

Post#69 » by NZB2323 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:11 pm

phanman wrote:As a fan this card is absolutely stacked man. You could literally take half of the fights and put them on its own PPV and it would still sell nicely for a -non-McGregor/Rousey/GSP/Lesnar headliner.

I mean look at UFC 204 in comparison :D.

As a competitor though, you just feel for someone like Holloway. 9 fight win streak and has been as active as McGregor is with 4 fights a year. Dude is just a straight brawler and has that quiet personality which I think is the reason why he has been overlooked.

Even though he's said some pretty stupid things after the fight you also feel bad for someone like Aldo. 10 years undefeated, 18 fight win streak, 7 in the UFC. Even though he got ko'd in 13s, if anyone deserved a rematch its him.

And it wouldn't even be an immediate rematch, since he's beat Edgar since losing.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,594

Post#70 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:40 pm

REDDzone wrote:

One of the best lines in any UFC presser
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#71 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Alvarez vs McGregor ***** Lightweight Championship*****
Weidman vs Romero
Cowboy vs Gastelum

Khabib vs M Johnson
Tate vs Pennington
Edgar vs Stephens
Kennedy vs Evans

Boetsch vs Natal
J Miller vs T Alves
Good vs Muhammad
Carmouche vs Chookagain

This card is stacked from first fight to main event! Is Miller/Alves at 170? Catchweight?

Alves is dropping down to 55
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,869

Post#72 » by Jasen777 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:15 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Alves is dropping down to 55

Off the juice?

Any excuse...

Seriously though, wouldn't that be an extreme cut for him?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#73 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:27 am

Yeah I recall he used to have a really tough cut to make 170. He wasn't big but the weight class but he did carry a lot of muscle. HE definitely doesn't look as thick as he used to be.

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#74 » by CPT » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:08 am

I remember hearing Alves was 197 in the GSP fight.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#75 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Alvarez vs McGregor ***** Lightweight Championship*****
Weidman vs Romero
Cowboy vs Gastelum

Khabib vs M Johnson
Tate vs Pennington
Edgar vs Stephens
Kennedy vs Evans

Boetsch vs Natal
J Miller vs T Alves
Good vs Muhammad
Carmouche vs Chookagain

Alves is dropping down to 55

For real? As Jasen asked, off the juice? IIRC he missed weight at 170 a few times in the past, how the hell is he going to make 155?? I always thought he should have been at 185.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Shaazzam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:31 pm

And yeah, this cannot be understated, KHABIB IS ON THE CARD!

STAY **** HEALTHY!!!!

Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Lol, love that shirt. That's actually a compliment to jiu jitsu, but I'm sure the irony is lost on Khabib.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#78 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm just going to say it...

My god this Karolina.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Shaazzam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:12 pm

REDDzone wrote:Lol, love that shirt. That's actually a compliment to jiu jitsu, but I'm sure the irony is lost on Khabib.

And me. :(
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#80 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Lol, love that shirt. That's actually a compliment to jiu jitsu, but I'm sure the irony is lost on Khabib.

And me. :(

Jiu jitsu is supposed to be "easy". Energy conservation, leverage, the gentle art and all that. "My martial art is harder than yours" isn't really a case for your martial art imo.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts