Who are the best MMA fighters of all time?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: Who are the best MMA fighters of all time? 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 pm

So that blog post is just a screen capture of Fight Matrix without any attribution?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm not going to click that link lol. But Jones/Fedor/GSP/Anderson are the fighters in the mix I'd think.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#3 » by Susan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:22 pm

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,793

Post#4 » by NZB2323 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:59 pm

This is Cammo's list of the top 100 fighters:

viewtopic.php?f=270&t=1352824&hilit=cammo+counts#start_here

This is his top 15:

1. Jon Jones (7)
2. Georges St. Pierre (2)
3. Anderson Silva (1)
4. Fedor Emelianenko (3)
5. Chuck Liddell (4)
6. Dan Henderson (5)
7. Jose Aldo (15)
8. Wanderlei Silva (6)
9. Matt Hughes (8)
10. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (9)
11. Randy Couture (10)
12. Vitor Belfort (23)
13. BJ Penn (11)
14. Royce Gracie (12)
15. Mauricio Rua (13)
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 548

Post#5 » by Gregoire » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:14 am

Jones
GSP
Fedor
Silva
Aldo
Cruz
Overeem
DC
Couture
Hendo
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#6 » by CPT » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:41 am

I'm not going to bother with a strict ranking, but I'll try tiers. I may be forgetting some people. Not even gonna bother with guys like Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock; put them wherever you think is reasonable, keeping in mind they get completely starched by everyone on this list.

1. GSP (most dominant, one loss which he avenged, no scandals or late career losses)

2. Fedor, Jones, Silva (all more entertaining than GSP, but have knocks on them that he doesn't)

3. Aldo, Penn, Chuck, Wandy, Randy, Vitor, Big Nog, Hendo, Hughes, Shogun (could see a reasonable case for any of them at 5, and I don't think any of them are head and shoulders above the others)

4. Werdum, Bendo, Edgar (great resumes, arguably better than some of the people ahead of them, but actually ranking them ahead of the tier 3 guys just seems wrong)

Tier 5 would get too big.

Guys who will probably join tier 3 or 4 in a few years: Conor, Alvarez, DC, Cruz, Mighty Mouse
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 548

Post#7 » by Gregoire » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:12 pm

CPT wrote:I'm not going to bother with a strict ranking, but I'll try tiers. I may be forgetting some people. Not even gonna bother with guys like Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock; put them wherever you think is reasonable, keeping in mind they get completely starched by everyone on this list.

1. GSP (most dominant, one loss which he avenged, no scandals or late career losses)

2. Fedor, Jones, Silva (all more entertaining than GSP, but have knocks on them that he doesn't)

3. Aldo, Penn, Chuck, Wandy, Randy, Vitor, Big Nog, Hendo, Hughes, Shogun (could see a reasonable case for any of them at 5, and I don't think any of them are head and shoulders above the others)

4. Werdum, Bendo, Edgar (great resumes, arguably better than some of the people ahead of them, but actually ranking them ahead of the tier 3 guys just seems wrong)

Guys who will probably join tier 3 or 4 in a few years: Conor, Alvarez, DC, Cruz, Mighty Mouse

GSP actually had 2 losses and one very controversial decision (Hendricks)
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#8 » by CPT » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Gregoire wrote:
CPT wrote:I'm not going to bother with a strict ranking, but I'll try tiers. I may be forgetting some people. Not even gonna bother with guys like Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock; put them wherever you think is reasonable, keeping in mind they get completely starched by everyone on this list.

GSP actually had 2 losses and one very controversial decision (Hendricks)

You're right. Brain fart there. I tend to only remember the Serra loss, but of course he lost to Hughes early in his career. Though he avenged that loss as well...twice.

Controversial decision win > losing to Michael Bisping, getting popped for PEDs, or getting finished 3 times in a row.

I'd listen to the argument that the tier 2 guys had higher peaks than GSP, because I think they all did, but I'm going on the whole career. There's no right or wrong way to do it, and none of it really matters anyway.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:28 am

That's a good point. GSP had the best in total IMO (best resume for sure) although the others probably did have more impressive peaks.

That said, if Fedor beats another Indian guy with no previous mma experience on NYE again, he could jump up to GOAT.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts