UFC 206 (12/10): Blessed Holloway vs. Showtime Pettis

Moderator: lilfishi22

Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,231

Re: UFC 206: Cormier vs. Rumble 

Post#81 » by Mehar » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Aldo is already the interim champ. Instead of having Pettis vs. Holloway as an interim title fight, the winner should have just faced Aldo to determine the new FW Champ. Makes the FW title look like a joke. Aldo should have just fought the winner to determine the new champ.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#82 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Mehar wrote:Aldo is already the interim champ. Instead of having Pettis vs. Holloway as an interim title fight, the winner should have just faced Aldo to determine the new FW Champ. Makes the FW title look like a joke. Aldo should have just fought the winner to determine the new champ.

The fact that this would have never been done if DC didn't fall out just proves its out of desperation/promotion. Aldo won the interim like four months ago, the notion that yet another interim title is needed is just ridiculous. :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#83 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Pettis going for his 3rd different Zuffa and beyond belt. Nevermind this one would be made of paper, it's gotta be technically a record. UFC 155, WEC 155, UFC 145 interim.

It is pretty transparent by Zuffa. They should just have no titles on the line and pony up for GSP. No rule you need a title fight on a ppv. They're being gimmicky and cheap, but you gotta spend money to make money and be able to sell something real. Otherwise you slowly chip away at your cred. You can have freak fights, but they shouldn't intertwine with the ones which have sporting/title implications.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#84 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Haha. Conor has made a legit beastly division into a total joke.

A guy who is 1 outta 4 is getting a shot.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:19 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Haha. Conor has made a legit beastly division into a total joke.

A guy who is 1 outta 4 is getting a shot.

The ufc is making it a joke. Their cheap method of promoting a bad card shouldn't be an indictment on the division.

edit: If they do strip Conor then yea the division suffers and it will be because of him. I agree with that part. This interim title is just a short-term money grab though and doesn't have anything to do with that ultimately.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,636

Post#86 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:29 am

I don't think they get one extra PPV buy because the fight is now a title fight. If people were gonna watch it, they would still be. Those who won't, still won't. All this does is just add more confusion to the FW division.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#87 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Mousasi also offered to fight Kennedy but ufc declined. Hopefully that means they have something else planned for him - Rockhold, please.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#88 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:10 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think they get one extra PPV buy because the fight is now a title fight. If people were gonna watch it, they would still be. Those who won't, still won't. All this does is just add more confusion to the FW division.

I think they may get 1.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#89 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:40 pm

REDDzone wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think they get one extra PPV buy because the fight is now a title fight. If people were gonna watch it, they would still be. Those who won't, still won't. All this does is just add more confusion to the FW division.

I think they may get 1.

They'll get more by still running the DC/Rumble commercial like they are.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,380

Re: UFC 206: Blessed Holloway vs. Showtime Pettis 

Post#90 » by phanman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 am

Honestly when I think about why the decided to strip Conor of the FW belt it does make sense from every angle but McGregors. Everyone else involved is happy and doing so allows the FW division to move on from Conor whom isn't expected back until Spring/Summer.

-Aldo is happy because he is now promoted to the champion.

-Holloway is happy because he finally gets the "title" shot he deserves, and even it is a fake interim belt the winner gets to fight Aldo

-Ditto for Pettis, but he also gets the added benefit of potentially becoming just the 4th fighter to hold a belt in two different weight classes -interim or not

-UFC wins by finally strong-arming Conor into relinquishing a belt and "saving" the event by still having a title fight on the card

-Sucks for Edgar as his timing is terrible with that loss to Aldo, and I guess he has gets the loser of the event or Lamas?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#91 » by Susan » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:48 pm

LMAO, GOAT Pettis misses weight. Waiting for a ten page conspiracy theory post to justify this...
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,782

Post#92 » by NZB2323 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:53 pm

Susan wrote:LMAO, GOAT Pettis misses weight. Waiting for a ten page conspiracy theory post to justify this...

Bernman never called Pettis the GOAT, has typically said he was worried about his fights before his losses, believes Pettis has declined and this board in general isn't happy about Pettis missing weight. He can make excuses, like he hasn't had a lot of FW fights or that they banned IVs or whatever, but he shouldn't make excuses and it's his fault and it sucks.

There are people on this board who are big Pettis fans, but we're more realistic and objective than the average fanboy.
Susan
RealGM

Post#93 » by Susan » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:58 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
Susan wrote:LMAO, GOAT Pettis misses weight. Waiting for a ten page conspiracy theory post to justify this...

Bernman never called Pettis the GOAT, has typically said he was worried about his fights before his losses, believes Pettis has declined and this board in general isn't happy about Pettis missing weight. He can make excuses, like he hasn't had a lot of FW fights or that they banned IVs or whatever, but he shouldn't make excuses and it's his fault and it sucks.

There are people on this board who are big Pettis fans, but we're more realistic and objective than the average fanboy.

Absolutely. I just enjoy the random crazy rants.

UFC is over their head here. This never should have been a title fight. Now it's even stupider.

This is a sport, the stories happen naturally. The divisions shake themselves out. No need for fake title fights when you already have Conor and Aldo holding belts in the division.

I hope nobody buys this **** card.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#94 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:06 pm

What a sh*tshow. I was going to leave a xmas party early to watch this, screw that, won't bother now.

Inexcusable and embarrassing by Pettis. If he's really in that bad of shape, he's going to get destroyed by Holloway.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#95 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:09 pm

Do you just dislike him now because bernman likes him? I actually recall you being a fan.

IDK where "GOAT Pettis" comes from.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#96 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:10 pm

Sucks for Holloway. Does he at least still get a belt if he wins?

Granted its a fake version of a fake version, but still, sucks.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#97 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:12 pm

I heard people saying this is karma for the fake title fight and that's probably true, but tbh this whole card has been cursed for the karma of screwing GSP.

This is also karma for cammo who recently criticized bellator for their fighters missing weight so often - UFC fighters have been missing weight a ton lately too - three different fighters on this card alone.
Susan
RealGM

Post#98 » by Susan » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:15 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Do you just dislike him now because bernman likes him? I actually recall you being a fan.

Just trying to get a rise out of bernman. I'm a fan of the crazy rants.

Pettis isn't a bad dude. He's a good fighter but this whole situation was so propped up by the UFC that it's fun to watch it burn.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#99 » by NZB2323 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:17 pm

REDDzone wrote:Sucks for Holloway. Does he at least still get a belt if he wins?

Granted its a fake version of a fake version, but still, sucks.

Ariel Helwani ✔ @arielhelwani
I'm told the fight is still on. Holloway, if he wins, gets interim title. Pettis won't if he wins. He also gives up 20% of his purse to Max.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#100 » by NZB2323 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:20 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Just trying to get a rise out of bernman. I'm a fan of the crazy rants.

Instead of a rise, he may just get depressed. He didn't post for months after Pettis vs. RDA. A sad Bernman is something none of us want.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts