OT- GSP vs Anderson Silva set for December?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

OT- GSP vs Anderson Silva set for December? 

Post#1 » by Griff83 » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:45 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 194493.ece

Sounds like if both fighters get past there next match, they would fight in December.

:eek1: :nod:
marcroboy
Veteran
And1: 14

Re: OT- GSP vs Anderson Silva set for December? 

Post#2 » by marcroboy » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:47 pm

"fight of the century ........................... of the next winter" - Dana White
The statement below is true

The statement above is false
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#3 » by [SJJ] » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:57 pm

Wow, that would be absolutely crazy!
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#4 » by dTox » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:59 pm

the wait is going to kill me
TBZ for the win
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#5 » by Brinbe » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:28 pm

Not sure about the Sun's credibility but it's a no-brainer for Dana.
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#6 » by nizaam » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:35 pm

Shouldn't GSP try fighting like a top guy in Middleweight before jumping into the best pound for pound fighter in the world?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#7 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:43 pm

nizaam wrote:Shouldn't GSP try fighting like a top guy in Middleweight before jumping into the best pound for pound fighter in the world?

There is no reason for him to fight any middleweight other than Silva.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Darrick Martin
Starter
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Darrick Martin » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:44 pm

Fedor would take out both guys with one hand behind us back :P
“On paper, in terms of just pure talent, I would say, yes, this is the best team we’ve had,” - Bryan Colangelo (Sep 29, 2008)
PoloGoose
Senior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by PoloGoose » Mon Feb 2, 2009 12:13 am

how about gsp vs the spider vs fedor?
PrinceV
Rookie
And1: 697

Post#10 » by PrinceV » Mon Feb 2, 2009 12:25 am

Darrick Martin wrote:Fedor would take out both guys with one hand behind us back :P

Fedor is good, but hasn't really fought anyone good in Affliction. The real competition is in UFC.

GSP is by far the best P4P fighter. Just look at the last year and a half the guys he fought. Koscheck, Hughes, Serra, Fitch and BJ, all top notch fighters.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#11 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 2, 2009 12:36 am

This is a real long-shot, I think. Neither fighter is keen on this, if you've been paying attention. Silva is already eyeing retirement and GSP fits the 170 limit really well. Someone with precise wrestling has to know their own ability to leverage. A 15 pound jump is really unfavorable.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 12:37 am

PrinceV wrote:
Darrick Martin wrote:Fedor would take out both guys with one hand behind us back :P

Fedor is good, but hasn't really fought anyone good in Affliction. The real competition is in UFC.

GSP is by far the best P4P fighter. Just look at the last year and a half the guys he fought. Koscheck, Hughes, Serra, Fitch and BJ, all top notch fighters.

The best Heavyweights are in Affliction. Arlovski and Barnett are both ranked ahead of anyone in the UFC.

As far as the GSP/Silva fight, it seems like a no brainer if both guys get past their current opponents.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#13 » by spree8 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 1:57 am

December..man that's far, but that would be the best match of all time. I know they always say that, but these two are the best two fighters in the world pound for pound. Gsp already fights at 180 though he makes weight at 170. Adding 5 extra lbs is nothing at all..but against Anderson Silva, giving up 4 inches is what would be dangerous for Gsp. I'd be a little scared for George, but I think he could cause an upset as he would certainly be the underdog with the reach advantage in Silva's favor.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#14 » by USA » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:16 am

GSP-Anderson Silva would create a buzz just like GSP-BJ Penn but I think it would end the same way. I think Anderson Silva would dominate GPS. Not necessarily because he is a better fighter, but because Silva is a big 185 fighter. He fights 205 and is considered by many the best p4p fighter today. Look at all the fighters that have jumped up in weight and look at the results. There are only a few that have done well going up in weight. Add that the fact that you are going up in weight to fight aruably the best fighter out there and you have a recipe for disaster. I don't think it would be as dominating as GSP was over Penn but I think it would be a pretty much one sided fight. Just my opinion. I hope I am wrong though.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:18 pm

Brinbe wrote:Not sure about the Sun's credibility but it's a no-brainer for Dana.

They once wrote an article about killer fish were going to take over Englands water ways.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#16 » by RockTHECasbah » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:30 pm

spree8 wrote:December..man that's far, but that would be the best match of all time. I know they always say that, but these two are the best two fighters in the world pound for pound. Gsp already fights at 180 though he makes weight at 170. Adding 5 extra lbs is nothing at all..but against Anderson Silva, giving up 4 inches is what would be dangerous for Gsp. I'd be a little scared for George, but I think he could cause an upset as he would certainly be the underdog with the reach advantage in Silva's favor.

Why would he need to add 5 pounds?
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#17 » by Chach » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:35 pm

GSP is going to need to add a lot more than five pounds. Silva is a good 200 pounds when he steps into the ring, he cuts as much as GSP does. The size and weight advantage that GSP had over BJ will be the same advantage that Silva has over GSP if he doesn't add weight. I think if GSP adds another 10 pounds or so of good weight, he can easily cut to 185 and be a strength match to Silva, which he is going to need to overcome that huge reach advantage Silva will have. mahalo
~Chach~
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#18 » by spree8 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:50 pm

5-10 pounds of muscle is exactly what he needs...even he said so. and no he doesn't need to add all that much. Gsp is strong enough now to take down Silva...Gsp really wouldn't have to worry about weight since Silva prefers to stand, but adding more weight would help him a little more with taking down Anderson and keeping him down.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#19 » by damo[23] » Wed Feb 4, 2009 1:00 pm

I saw some interview on youtube [i think] with Dana White in like October or something - it did crop up about "if GSP wins we might look to GSP vs ASilva maybe around 2010". Thats not the point because we know the validity of the chance of the fight. But on the weight issue he did say "GSP goes up or ..." I didnt quite make it out but it seemed to imply maybe making a intermediate weight [i.e GSP goes up and Silva comes down]?

Or was I just way off base hearing that.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts