Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Re: Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread 

Post#221 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:29 pm

Watched Heyman's DVD yesterday and it was very, very good. I thought the Punk DVD was probably the best one they've done with Bret's is second and I think this supplants Bret's at number 2. Heyman has had such a long and varied career and they touched on all the different aspects of it. And for a guy that supposedly has all these enemies, all of the maor players associated with his career with the exception of Vince McMahon and The Dudleys were in this DVD. If I was going to offer one criticism it would be that because Heyman's career is as varied and long as it is, it seemed like everything was shortchanged a little bit. The ideal format for a Paul Heyman DVD isn't a DVD, its a 4-part miniseries on the network. The first hour is about his early career as a photographer, manager and commentator. The second and third hours are about ECW and the final hour is about his WWE career.

Anyone who's seen the DVD, I'm curious if anyone else feels this way. I thought Stephanie McMahon comes off as incredibly unlikable. She comes off as the HR lady, Bill Lumburg from Office Space, the middle management person who cares more about abiding by rules than creativity and productivity.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#222 » by Shemy » Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:14 pm

Apparently steph and paulie don't get along too well from what I've read, you can sorta tell in her speaking about him

Crazy to see one of paulies big breaks came when he was in memphis at the mid south collisieum that's where I had my high school graduation :lol:
"They scared now"
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,848

Post#223 » by Stanford » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Here's a fun one:

I was randomly going through the catalog of 'FanGraphs Audio' and found this little gem.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraph ... ayn-perry/

Baseball writers Carson Cistulli and and Dayn Perry discuss their limited but impressive knowledge of the world of professional wrestling. It's a fun listen and YOU may want to partake in it.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#224 » by Stanford » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 am

Batista on TiJ today. Seems like a cool dude. God damnit.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#225 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:47 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAA-balL99Y&list=UU8LCBMNPbE34d6FLW1iMTTQ[/youtube]

At about 9:45, he asks Bo about the inspiration behind his character and the primary motivation appears to be a parody of guys like Cena and Rock who post these stupid motivational messages.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#226 » by SDM » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Some great stuff in both the Batista (Jericho) and Heyman (SCSA) interviews...
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#227 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:49 pm

HHH is going to be on Jericho's podcasts this week. Two-parter, so it'll be Wednesday and Friday. I know Austin had said he wanted HHH on his, but Jericho has a lot more daily access to him than Austin does. When Jericho came back a part of me wondered if he was coming back so that he could have a bunch of awesome podcast guests and I'm starting to think I might be right.

Anyway, I'm so fascinated by how this is going to go. Jericho has been pretty open about the fact that it took a while before him and HHH got along so you wonder if they're going to touch on that history. There WM 18 match and build is largely regarded as a failure (the match largely because it followed Rock-Hogan) and I think Jericho has said as much and you wonder how open they'll be about that. But the main thing is Jericho is, more than Austin and JR, is pretty open about mistakes he sees in WWE's decisions. When they pulled the trigger on Bryan at Mania, he said something along the lines of "Congratulations on doing what's been in front of you all along" and when he had Zack Ryder on his show, he flat out said that Vince doesn't like ideas that aren't his and Ryder got buried because of that.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#228 » by Stanford » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:56 pm

I imagine they'll just be chummy and talk a lot about old stories and favorite wrestlers, and stuff.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#229 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:50 pm

I don't expect them to re-hash how they didn't get along when Jericho first debuted. But I'd be very surprised if they didn't talk about there WM 18 match and feud and I'm curious as to how honest they'll be. I also wouldn't put it past Jericho to bring up instances where he thought they made creative mistakes. The tenor will certainly be cordial and chummy but I wouldn't be shocked if Jericho brought up an uncomfortable subject or two.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,899

Post#230 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:21 am

Just completely "Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman" (the first disc that is about 2 hours). Hands down, my favorite WWE dvd/shoot. The beginning 20 minutes is a little boring, but it gets really good when it talks about him in the ECW.

And it's not nearly as corny as other guys' DVDs like Triple H. Where all the people just dick ride the superstar and say "i always knew he was going to be special, i believed in him since day 1, I knew he would make it". You can see how these guys actually feel about Paul Heyman in this one.

One thing that pissed me off was Stephanie in this. She's so annoying. So obvious she was jealous of the things Heyman was able to do with his creative brain. If he was back at Smackdown, I'd probably never miss a episode. If he had full creative control with the new ECW, it probably work.
Free Palestine
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#231 » by Stanford » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:49 pm

Travis Knight wrote:And it's not nearly as corny as other guys' DVDs like Triple H. Where all the people just dick ride the superstar and say "i always knew he was going to be special, i believed in him since day 1, I knew he would make it". You can see how these guys actually feel about Paul Heyman in this one.

To be fair, I think H is widely considered to be a pretty low-maintenance good guy within the industry. I haven't heard many bad things about him apart from that time Road Dogg and Billy Gunn got drunk and went all **** YOU PAUL. And Chyna of course.

He was great in part 1 of Jericho's interview. Wouldn't stfu. In a good way.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#232 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm with Travis about the HHH documentary. When I saw it for the first time, I thought pretty positively about it but I saw it again at a friend's house and the uniqueness of seeing Undertaker completely out of character and the all-star cast had lost its luster on second viewing and it was an overly positive portrayal of him in so many instances. Do I think when Billy Gunn got drunk and drugged up those were his true feelings, no. Do I think he believes that HHH is the Michael Jordan of wrestling, no. Get him some truth serum and his opinion is probably somewhere in-between. Overall it felt like that documentary was made so that when HHH does his corporate functions, this DVD will be cut up and used for 3-5 minute intros of him.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#233 » by Stanford » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:34 pm

You've always hated H, safi!
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#234 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:46 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Just completely "Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman" (the first disc that is about 2 hours). Hands down, my favorite WWE dvd/shoot. The beginning 20 minutes is a little boring, but it gets really good when it talks about him in the ECW.

And it's not nearly as corny as other guys' DVDs like Triple H. Where all the people just dick ride the superstar and say "i always knew he was going to be special, i believed in him since day 1, I knew he would make it". You can see how these guys actually feel about Paul Heyman in this one.

One thing that pissed me off was Stephanie in this. She's so annoying. So obvious she was jealous of the things Heyman was able to do with his creative brain. If he was back at Smackdown, I'd probably never miss a episode. If he had full creative control with the new ECW, it probably work.

I had the same thoughts about Stephanie and I thought she comes off extremely poorly in it. But having thought about it, I'm glad she was in it. She was the antagonist, she was the one who was offering the contrarian opinion at every turn. And while guys like Dreamer had negative things to say from time-to-time, without Stephanie I think the DVD would've lost a lot of the other side of the opinion and would've suffered because of it. I don't think she's jealous of him, the two of them have polar opposite entries into the wrestling industry and those entries inform so much of how they think and operate. Stephanie seems to be very concerned with following protocol and procedure while Heyman doesn't care at all about that and is all about getting results.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#235 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:51 pm

I've made no secret of my dislike for HHH, but I think I'm willing to compliment him when I think the time is right. And to that point and to his credit, he was critical of himself at various points in that DVD. It was literally every single other person verbally fellating him that I didn't like.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#236 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Sep 3, 2014 8:07 pm

I liked the HHH documentary quite a bit. Haven't seen the Paul Heyman doc yet but I'm expecting it to be good.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Stannis
RealGM

Post#237 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 3, 2014 10:16 pm

safi wrote:I'm with Travis about the HHH documentary. When I saw it for the first time, I thought pretty positively about it but I saw it again at a friend's house and the uniqueness of seeing Undertaker completely out of character and the all-star cast had lost its luster on second viewing and it was an overly positive portrayal of him in so many instances. Do I think when Billy Gunn got drunk and drugged up those were his true feelings, no. Do I think he believes that HHH is the Michael Jordan of wrestling, no. Get him some truth serum and his opinion is probably somewhere in-between. Overall it felt like that documentary was made so that when HHH does his corporate functions, this DVD will be cut up and used for 3-5 minute intros of him.

Yep. This is completely how I feel on it.

The only interesting part for me was his story in the WCW and how he got into "the Kliq" when he got into WWF.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#238 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 3, 2014 10:20 pm

safi wrote:I've made no secret of my dislike for HHH, but I think I'm willing to compliment him when I think the time is right. And to that point and to his credit, he was critical of himself at various points in that DVD. It was literally every single other person verbally fellating him that I didn't like.
Yep. It wasn't really him that I didn't like in the DVD. It was the other guys. They do it all the time Batista, Edge, Stone Cold. After a while, it gets to the point where I am like "oh c'mon, you can't say this for everyone". For HHH they did it the most though.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#239 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 3, 2014 10:28 pm

Have you guys watched the HBK Vs. Bret Hart one? I thought it was decent. Though, you could tell HBK was holding back since Bret went through a lot more. I don't recall their rivalry too much, but Bret calling HBK a "H0mo" would is a little overdone too. HBK didn't fire back at all compared to Bret.

Roddy Piper was my favorite "Beyond the Ring" video so far.

Edge's was good. Though I wish they got into his time with Heyman's Smackdown.

Stone Cold's was awesome. I can listen to this guy talk all day long. GOAT.

I only got half way though Batista's, and I don't really like it tbh. Kind of boring. Wish they made it a year ago, that way they could talk about his return the WWE and how he got into Hollywood.

Half way though CM Punk's and I like it alot.

Which ones should I watch next?

I got Lesnar's, Rock, Mankind, Big Show, Orton, Hardy, Cena, Jericho, and half of Batista's left.
Free Palestine
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#240 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 3, 2014 10:37 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Have you guys watched the HBK Vs. Bret Hart one? I thought it was decent. Though, you could tell HBK was holding back since Bret went through a lot more. I don't recall their rivalry too much, but Bret calling HBK a "H0mo" would is a little overdone too. HBK didn't fire back at all compared to Bret.

Half way though CM Punk's and I like it alot.

Which ones should I watch next?

I got Lesnar's, Rock, Mankind, Big Show, Orton, Hardy, Cena, Jericho, and half of Batista's left.

Thought Punk's was really well done and i forgot how great some of those matches and rivalries were.

Liked Lesnar's too but i think Lesnar is great anyway so take that for what its worth.

The HBK/Bret seemed like Shawn was holding back but also like he stayed quiet because he felt bad about a lot of what happened. Bret seemed comfortable with the fact that he got a chance to really air out what's been buggin him and Shawn was either amicable to allow him that courtesy or just so guilt ridden that he was willing to sit there and let Bret dish it out and Shawn resolved to just take in whatever it was he had to say.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to Pro Wrestling