Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Re: Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread 

Post#241 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 11:43 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Have you guys watched the HBK Vs. Bret Hart one? I thought it was decent. Though, you could tell HBK was holding back since Bret went through a lot more. I don't recall their rivalry too much, but Bret calling HBK a "H0mo" would is a little overdone too. HBK didn't fire back at all compared to Bret.

Roddy Piper was my favorite "Beyond the Ring" video so far.

Edge's was good. Though I wish they got into his time with Heyman's Smackdown.

Stone Cold's was awesome. I can listen to this guy talk all day long. GOAT.

I only got half way though Batista's, and I don't really like it tbh. Kind of boring. Wish they made it a year ago, that way they could talk about his return the WWE and how he got into Hollywood.

Half way though CM Punk's and I like it alot.

Which ones should I watch next?

I got Lesnar's, Rock, Mankind, Big Show, Orton, Hardy, Cena, Jericho, and half of Batista's left.

My personal top 5 are: 1. Punk, 2. Heyman, 3. Bret, 4. ECW, 5. Bret vs Shawn. Other ones that I enjoyed were Jericho, Stone Cold, Foley, Shawn's and one that I was really surprised as to how good it was, was Orton's. In general, I think a DVD will be good if you have a guy that's a really good story teller but also has more than his fair share of controversy during his career. Heyman, Punk and to a lesser degree Bret all have careers that fit that criteria. Jericho, Austin and Foley they had some controversy during there careers, but they're such natural talkers and such good story tellers that they can make it fascinating.

Conversely, I didn't like the Edge DVD because while I'm a huge Edge fan there are aspects of his story that are interesting but overall I'm not sure how interesting a story it is. You mentioned not doing a ton about his Smackdown run with Heyman, and that's because that run where Heyman tried to make him his top babyface, it didn't work. I've mentioned the HHH DVD and why I didn't like that. And Cena, whenever I hear John Cena speak outside of WWE promos he annoys the crap out of me because what makes him the perfect corporate face of the company is also what makes him an incredibly uninteresting and vanilla interview.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#242 » by WRau1 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:33 am

safi wrote: My personal top 5 are: 1. Punk, 2. Heyman, 3. Bret, 4. ECW, 5. Bret vs Shawn.

Those are my favorites as well except I have Heyman ahead of Punk. The DVD that I surprisingly liked was Batista's.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#243 » by SDM » Fri Sep 5, 2014 2:32 pm

Triple H on Talk Is Jericho, part 2 is now up... not as interesting as I thought it would be... Jericho wasn't really outspoken about the product and both guys touched briefly on how Vince surrounds himself by yes men. That's about as controversial they get about the current product.

Trips also says that he's not being groomed to take over and he expects Vince to be there until he dies, that he's actually working more than ever.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#244 » by skbucks1985 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:15 pm

Just finished the Jericho-HHH podcast, it was fine I guess. It was very, very chummy to the point that I really felt like they were putting on an act to a degree. I'm sure they are perfectly cordial and friendly but he was as chummy with HHH as he was when he was on with Edge and Christian. And I have a difficult time believing he is as close with him as he was with either Edge or Christian.

Interesting to hear the thought process behind the performance center and how it seems like a lot of it was designed around attracting high level Division-1 football players who washed out of the NFL quickly, having a facility they would find attractive and comparable to the ones they've been in. And JR has said in his podcast about what attracted him to football players and other athletes, as the head of talent relations. And the logic behind it certainly makes some sense. But if you look at the results, the guys that have successfully made the transition are second and third generation wrestlers and I would argue that has a lot more to do with there success than there football background.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#245 » by Stanford » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Cherry Bomb sounds adorable.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#246 » by Stanford » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:25 pm

The Total Divas talking about the futility of Rosa was both funny and baffling. She's never even hit a finisher in 9 years of wrestling. No Kelly Kelly rollups. That is an insane streak. I feel like she should win a match within the next 12 months, dammit.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#247 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 9, 2014 2:07 pm

Shane Douglas is a strong interview. He's on the AOW this week.
TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer
And1: 366

Post#248 » by TheGameChanger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:53 am

Just recently discovered podcasts. (I Know I'm Slow) Listen to

Talk is Jericho (Which is great)
Austin 2 shows
The Ross Report
Who's next with Goldberg

All good. I However only listened to some eps not all.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#249 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:29 am

I didn't know Goldberg had a podcast.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#250 » by Stanford » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 am

TheKingofSting wrote:I didn't know Goldberg had a podcast.

It's awful. And not just because the guests aren't wrestlers.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#251 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Austin does commentary for his WM17 match on his latest podcast. Such a great idea. He should do more of these.
TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer

Post#252 » by TheGameChanger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:05 am

Stanford wrote:Austin does commentary for his WM17 match on his latest podcast. Such a great idea. He should do more of these.

Thats Awesome. Finally something to watch on the network. I Did however watch Rumble 97 the other night.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#253 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm

WWE should steal the idea and incorporate it into the network. I love buying a season of a TV show and listening to the commentary from the writers and actors and what-not. They could have a couple people talk over the whole show, or groups of people doing various segments. Just make it an option when you start the event.
SDM
RealGM

Post#254 » by SDM » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Stanford wrote:WWE should steal the idea and incorporate it into the network. I love buying a season of a TV show and listening to the commentary from the writers and actors and what-not. They could have a couple people talk over the whole show, or groups of people doing various segments. Just make it an option when you start the event.

Big, big, big, big, big (HUGE) fan of this idea because it accomplishes soooo much.

The older guys no one cares about nowadays could get some work AND some of their lapsed, older fans might be tempted to purchase it. Cheap, cheap programming-- all it'll cost is a few plane tickets and hotel rooms. Fans are more interested in the behind-the-scenes stuff than ever before and this is a way to make it accessible to younger, newer fans without throwing them into the muck of avarice that is the dirt sheet. And loads-- loads-- of new content... basically doubling their content overnight if they commit to this.

I do think the podcast guys/retired wrestlers will get on the bandwagon first and essentially force WWE's hand. SCSA is definitely onto something.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#255 » by jade_hippo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 am

TheGameChanger wrote:Just recently discovered podcasts. (I Know I'm Slow) Listen to

Austin 2 shows
The Ross Report
Who's next with Goldberg

there is Piper's Pit too, however I find him hit or miss. Its either gold and I can't stop listening or I feel I may shove screwdrivers in my ears.

The Ross Report is ok my only gripe is the guests are always on SKYPE which is sometimes horrible.
SDM
RealGM

Post#256 » by SDM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

jade_hippo wrote:
TheGameChanger wrote:Just recently discovered podcasts. (I Know I'm Slow) Listen to

Austin 2 shows
The Ross Report
Who's next with Goldberg

there is Piper's Pit too, however I find him hit or miss. Its either gold and I can't stop listening or I feel I may shove screwdrivers in my ears.

You know, man, I just love you, I think you're great, and uh, *snort*, yeah, just be yourself man because you're incredible, man, and I wanted to ask you about someth... hey, *snort* lemme ask, but before I ask, I wanna let you know that I love you and I think you're great.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#257 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm

SDM wrote:You know, man, I just love you, I think you're great, and uh, *snort*, yeah, just be yourself man because you're incredible, man, and I wanted to ask you about someth... hey, *snort* lemme ask, but before I ask, I wanna let you know that I love you and I think you're great.

Yeah, Piper's is nearly impossible to get through.
SDM
RealGM

Post#258 » by SDM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Stanford wrote:
SDM wrote:You know, man, I just love you, I think you're great, and uh, *snort*, yeah, just be yourself man because you're incredible, man, and I wanted to ask you about someth... hey, *snort* lemme ask, but before I ask, I wanna let you know that I love you and I think you're great.

For sure... I find him really endearing and surprisingly grandpa-like on the podcast. And he never, ever, ever puts himself over. I'd need a translator, but I'd definitely have a beer or several with him.
SDM
RealGM

Post#259 » by SDM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm also a big fan of The Swerve... the opening half hour of the Ernest Miller podcast was straight fire, with Russo calling out everyone who said he destroyed the wrestling business, practically begging them to use stats-- which he's convinced prove that he brought up ratings. So, as usual with Russo, he's either right or he's delusional. I'm also an unabashed Russo mark because I find a lot of truth in his philosophy, so others might not enjoy it as much as I do.

AJ is on this week's podcast... it goes very heavy into religion, so depending on your tolerance for that, you might want to skip it.
TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer

Post#260 » by TheGameChanger » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Stanford wrote:

I Did get through the EC3 ep of Pipers. I liked that one. Speaking of EC3. His got his own one with Robbie E now. Shame it wasn't with Spud. TNA Spin Cycle was great segment I used to watch. Don't know what happened to it. It was EC3,Spud,Robbie E, Jesse and Jeremy Borash.

Return to Pro Wrestling