Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Re: Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread 

Post#301 » by SDM » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Stanford wrote:Give me a break. His comments were meant to disparage The Ryback as a dude and a worker. I'm not buying his "Hey guys, I'm just telling my story!" bull.

Agreed... Ryback is a cool guy.

IMO, Jericho saying he'd have no problems working with Ryback + the fact that he's still employed makes me not believe CM Punk's "yeah, I'm dumb as ****" comment.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#302 » by skbucks1985 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 pm

SDM wrote:
Stanford wrote:Give me a break. His comments were meant to disparage The Ryback as a dude and a worker. I'm not buying his "Hey guys, I'm just telling my story!" bull.

Agreed... Ryback is a cool guy.

IMO, Jericho saying he'd have no problems working with Ryback + the fact that he's still employed makes me not believe CM Punk's "yeah, I'm dumb as ****" comment.

When I heard Punk tell that story and Ryback's reaction, the way I interpreted it was him just trying to avoid getting heat. The previous calendar year was such a weird year for him between getting pushed to the moon and then cooled off slightly in the leadup to WM, turned heel and was then fed to Cena and didn't seem to have any purpose for a few months. Then started building himself up slightly with the bullying stuff and then went from doing those backstage vignettes and catapulted into what was essentially the 1A feud at the time.The conversation Punk described, if it happened, would've happened 8 days after Ryback was inserted into this feud. And I think a guy in Ryback's situation who had the year he'd had is being lit into by one of the top guys in the company, I think most guys in his situation who'd had the year he had would've given the type of answer he did not necessarily because you think you're fully in the wrong but because fighting this battle isn't one you're going to win and will do you no good.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#303 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:09 pm

Listening to AOW with Bullet Club right now. I'm like 18 minutes in and I'm cracking up. It's been pure debauchery so far but it's been really funny.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#304 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Just listened to Sam Roberts' podcast with Corey Graves from a couple months ago. Really enjoyable interview. Made me like Graves more.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#305 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:02 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNEkq2vjI-I&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
TaxiDriver
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#306 » by TaxiDriver » Sun Apr 5, 2015 8:49 pm

Heyman is just effortless to listen to...
TaxiDriver
Freshman

Post#307 » by TaxiDriver » Wed Apr 8, 2015 5:50 pm

What did everyone think of the Jericho / Cena interview. Surprised Jericho even brought up steroids to be honest. It had clearly been cleared before hand (the whole thing whilst enjoyable did seem contrived) as all the photos of Cena doing bodybuilding had been lined up. Same reason there was a photo of Tajiri, Funaki and Ultimo Dragon knocked up already. WWE just can't help being WWE sometimes.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#308 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:38 pm

TaxiDriver wrote:What did everyone think of the Jericho / Cena interview. Surprised Jericho even brought up steroids to be honest. It had clearly been cleared before hand (the whole thing whilst enjoyable did seem contrived) as all the photos of Cena doing bodybuilding had been lined up. Same reason there was a photo of Tajiri, Funaki and Ultimo Dragon knocked up already. WWE just can't help being WWE sometimes.

I'm not watching it. Not a fan of Jericho's interview style to begin with and then when it was announced it was him interviewing Cena I wanted no part of it. From all I've read about it, there was basically little-to-no real ground covered that we haven't heard 1,000 times before.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#309 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:27 pm

I feel like I have to show some support for Jericho.

None of the podcast guys are particularly good interviewers, but Jericho has the greatest level of interview skills by a wide margin. Austin and Colt are two of the worst interviewers I've ever listened to. The only time they get a good interview out of anyone is when they're close with the guests, or the guests is strong enough to carry the show. Neither one of them have any idea how to ask a question.

Austin might want to ask a guess who he thought threw the best working punch. This is how he’d do it:

“Hey man, I love a good, snug working punch. There are a lot of guys out there who throw a good one. I was wondering who you thought threw the best working punch. I mean, I grew up idolizing Ric Flair, but he threw chops. So when I started with USWA at the Dallas Sportatorium I went up against some great workers who threw a great punch. One of those guys was Chris Adams”

And then he’d tell a Chris Adams anecdote.

Finally, after a few minutes of this, he’d say “So who are some of the guys you like, who threw a good working punch?”

He spends way too much time not engaging with the guest.

Listen to the Jericho podcast with Vickie that he uploaded today. His questions are terse and succinct. That, believe it or not, is a skill, and a lot of the podcasters don’t have it. He’s not perfect, but he always gets good interviews out of his guests, because he knows how to ask a question.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#310 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:01 pm

I'm not a fan of Jericho's podcast, his style just isn't for me. I think what he's trying to project is two guys just sitting over a couple drinks talking and the only difference is we're recording this. I'm sure it works for some, not for me.

I think Austin is by far the best. He asks by far the best probing and incisive questions and more importantly, actually asks follow-ups.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#311 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Anyone ever heard of a book called "Titan Sinking: The Decline of the WWF in 1995" by James Dixon? I had never heard of it but just randomly stumbled onto this blog and read a review for it. Makes me want to pick up a copy.

http://www.canadianbulldogsworld.com/#! ... king/c239z
TaxiDriver
Freshman

Post#312 » by TaxiDriver » Sun May 17, 2015 1:09 pm

It's not very good mate.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#313 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:58 pm

Jericho's podcast with New Day was hilarious. Check it out, wrestling fans.

"Kayfabe, Mom!"
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#314 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:05 pm

Stanford wrote:Jericho's podcast with New Day was hilarious. Check it out, wrestling fans.

"Kayfabe, Mom!"

Gonna have to check it out this afternoon. I've got the office to myself today so very few distractions.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#315 » by Latrell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Stanford wrote:Jericho's podcast with New Day was hilarious. Check it out, wrestling fans.

"Kayfabe, Mom!"

Listened to it yesterday.

Man, those guys are great. I'm so happy they are where they are now.

Now just get those tag titles back.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#316 » by Latrell » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:56 am

Stanford wrote:I feel like I have to show some support for Jericho.

None of the podcast guys are particularly good interviewers, but Jericho has the greatest level of interview skills by a wide margin. Austin and Colt are two of the worst interviewers I've ever listened to. The only time they get a good interview out of anyone is when they're close with the guests, or the guests is strong enough to carry the show. Neither one of them have any idea how to ask a question.

Austin might want to ask a guess who he thought threw the best working punch. This is how he’d do it:

“Hey man, I love a good, snug working punch. There are a lot of guys out there who throw a good one. I was wondering who you thought threw the best working punch. I mean, I grew up idolizing Ric Flair, but he threw chops. So when I started with USWA at the Dallas Sportatorium I went up against some great workers who threw a great punch. One of those guys was Chris Adams”

And then he’d tell a Chris Adams anecdote.

Finally, after a few minutes of this, he’d say “So who are some of the guys you like, who threw a good working punch?”

He spends way too much time not engaging with the guest.

Listen to the Jericho podcast with Vickie that he uploaded today. His questions are terse and succinct. That, believe it or not, is a skill, and a lot of the podcasters don’t have it. He’s not perfect, but he always gets good interviews out of his guests, because he knows how to ask a question.

This isn't a knock on Austin at all, I love the guy and enjoy his podcasts very much. But I'll listen to Austin while I'm multi-tasking or doing something that requires a bit of my attention, I find his voice and accent soothing to listen to so the content and subject matter don't matter as much to me with Austin's show. With Jericho I usually give it my undivided attention because you always learn something you never knew going into it. Love em both but Chris is a natural.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#317 » by skbucks1985 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:47 am

I actually feel the exact opposite way. I can't listen to Jericho's podcast anymore and haven't in several months and think he's an absolutely awful interviewer. He's better at making his guests feel comfortable than Austin is, which has its advantages. But they also tend to meander and go off in weird tangents and where Austin is far, far superior is steering the conversation back to the intended topics. They'll both have 10 questions/topics they want to talk about and Jericho's perfectly content if they don't go beyond 2-3 whereas Austin will be intent on getting to the most important 5-6. Its weird because Austin's a bigger star than Jericho but it feels like when Austin does these interviews he tries to approach it from the vantage point of a fan, with the mentality that if the people listening had there opportunity to interview this person what would they ask. Whereas Jericho seems to approach it as a wrestler who is giving the fans the opportunity to eavesdrop on us while we just sit here and talk. Rarely do I listen to an Austin interview (at least his first interview with a guy) and think, 'how could he not have asked x, y, or z' and its something that happened pretty much every time I listened to a Jericho podcast. And, this is related to Jericho making his guests feel more comfortable, Austin asks much more pointed questions than Jericho ever would. If you compare Jericho's podcast with HHH to Austin's, IMO its not even close Austin's was better by a mile. If Jericho had been given the gig to interview HHH for the network, I think its highly unlikely he would've asked him about CM Punk and there's no way in hell he would've asked about Chyna
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#318 » by Max Green » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0nUkdDSjQ[/youtube]

These dudes are hilarious.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
TaxiDriver
Freshman

Post#319 » by TaxiDriver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:15 pm

New Day on TIJ was great too...
TaxiDriver
Freshman

Post#320 » by TaxiDriver » Mon Sep 7, 2015 7:07 pm

We all looking forward to Edge and Christian on the Stone Cold podcast tonight I take it? Yes? Great.

Return to Pro Wrestling