Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer
And1: 366

Re: Wrestling DVD/Podcasts/Shoots Thread 

Post#261 » by TheGameChanger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Loved this week Ross Report with Mark Madden a great Pillman story.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#262 » by Stanford » Tue Nov 4, 2014 2:38 pm

Austin wants to get Bret on the podcast to do commentary over their WM13 match. That would be neat.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#263 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:02 am

Just listened to this week's AOW. Someone needs to inform Cabana that Ronda Rousey would murder him in real life. No suspension of disbelief needed.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#264 » by studcrackers » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:42 am

you ever check out the ray rice vs ronda rousey thread on the otb stanny boy?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#265 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:40 pm

I listen to this podcast with Kevin Sullivan who beyond his wrestling career was the primary booker for WCW during there peak (its behind a pay wall) and they're going month-by-month during the Monday Night Wars period starting in mid/late 95 and right now they're in early 96 so they're a few months before The Outsiders show up. And it seems like half of Sullivan's job was satiating Hogan's ego because he had full creative control and by early 96 Nitros Hogan was still wrestling in the main events against guys like Meng and Barbarian and The One Man Gang. But it was Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger they were the ones wrestling over the title, they were the ones that had real story lines, they were the ones that had longer matches. And it almost felt like there was a wink and a nod between the audience and everyone else but Hogan that we'll put him in the main event slot against his monsters but everyone knows that Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger those were the real main eventers on the show.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#266 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:04 pm

safi wrote:I listen to this podcast with Kevin Sullivan who beyond his wrestling career was the primary booker for WCW during there peak (its behind a pay wall) and they're going month-by-month during the Monday Night Wars period starting in mid/late 95 and right now they're in early 96 so they're a few months before The Outsiders show up. And it seems like half of Sullivan's job was satiating Hogan's ego because he had full creative control and by early 96 Nitros Hogan was still wrestling in the main events against guys like Meng and Barbarian and The One Man Gang. But it was Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger they were the ones wrestling over the title, they were the ones that had real story lines, they were the ones that had longer matches. And it almost felt like there was a wink and a nod between the audience and everyone else but Hogan that we'll put him in the main event slot against his monsters but everyone knows that Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger those were the real main eventers on the show.

I swear to god the only things I remember watching live from Hogan's WCW days (pre-nWo) are that godawful video of him in the Dungeon of Doom and when The Giant showed up and trashed his motorcycle on the Universal Studios lot. His pre-nWo time in WCW was one of the most forgettable stretches of a big star's pro-wrestling career ever.

Then again, I also don't remember a ton of Savage's WCW career either, even once the nWo was around.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#267 » by SDM » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:06 pm

RD Reynolds on The Swerve this week. It's basically one long shouting match and IMO, Reynolds' position is absurdist grasping at straws stuff--- "yes, Vince, you did increase ratings as directed in your contract and despite saying the corporate structure was a mess multiple times in my book, it's your fault that merch and live gates went into the tank". Glad to see Russo standing up for himself.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#268 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
safi wrote:I listen to this podcast with Kevin Sullivan who beyond his wrestling career was the primary booker for WCW during there peak (its behind a pay wall) and they're going month-by-month during the Monday Night Wars period starting in mid/late 95 and right now they're in early 96 so they're a few months before The Outsiders show up. And it seems like half of Sullivan's job was satiating Hogan's ego because he had full creative control and by early 96 Nitros Hogan was still wrestling in the main events against guys like Meng and Barbarian and The One Man Gang. But it was Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger they were the ones wrestling over the title, they were the ones that had real story lines, they were the ones that had longer matches. And it almost felt like there was a wink and a nod between the audience and everyone else but Hogan that we'll put him in the main event slot against his monsters but everyone knows that Savage, Flair, Sting and Luger those were the real main eventers on the show.

I swear to god the only things I remember watching live from Hogan's WCW days (pre-nWo) are that godawful video of him in the Dungeon of Doom and when The Giant showed up and trashed his motorcycle on the Universal Studios lot. His pre-nWo time in WCW was one of the most forgettable stretches of a big star's pro-wrestling career ever.

Then again, I also don't remember a ton of Savage's WCW career either, even once the nWo was around.

Yeah, Sullivan flatly says how stupid the Dungeon of Doom is. He says that he wanted to turn Hogan very quickly after he came to WCW but he couldn't because of his creative control and the Dungeon of Doom was basically his way of earning Hogan's trust because wrestling those cartoonish monsters that was Hogan's comfort zone. But yeah it was definitely some awful television.

I was like 10-11 years old at the time so I also don't remember a lot but I've been watching it back because of the podcast. And you can definitely see the quality start to pick up in late 95/early 96. But it was almost kinda sad seeing Hogan become this completely irrelevant main eventer only in the most literal usage of that term. It was though a huge stroke of luck because that irrelevancy continued for the next few months so when he was revealed as the 3rd man it was all that more potent.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#269 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:I swear to god the only things I remember watching live from Hogan's WCW days (pre-nWo) are that godawful video of him in the Dungeon of Doom and when The Giant showed up and trashed his motorcycle on the Universal Studios lot. His pre-nWo time in WCW was one of the most forgettable stretches of a big star's pro-wrestling career ever.

reading and remembering that kind of puts into perspective this whole Cena turning heel thing. Hogan did literally have absolutely nothing of value going on in his career when he made the turn.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#270 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Good Paige interview on TiJ. Jericho has some chops now. He's a really enjoyable interviewer. He was awful when the show started.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

I might have to splurge a little and buy this for myself
http://www.amazon.com/MACHO-MAN-Randy-S ... =Macho+Man
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WWE/status/534723204057948160[/tweet]
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#272 » by Stanford » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:I might have to splurge a little and buy this for myself

Cool ****!
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#273 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Stanford wrote:

Cool ****!

They have a 25 minute "first look" of the documentary on the network. Watched it on my lunch break and it makes me want the set even more.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#274 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:50 pm

I saw the Macho Man DVD and I absolutely loved it. Perhaps it was because most of the people they used for the DVD were not formally associated with WWE, but this felt a little different largely because the settings of the various interviews looked different. It didn't feel as homogeneous as most other WWE DVD's. They went through Savage's career piece-by-piece and strangely enough they did kinda, sorta allude to the long-standing rumors. They referred to him never returning to WWE while literally everyone else did as an "inexplicable banishment" although it seemed like they were saying that Savage was every bit as responsible for him not returning as vice-versa.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#275 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

The more former guys say about Cena, the more he sounds like a total d___head.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... ndex.shtml
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#276 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:The more former guys say about Cena, the more he sounds like a total d___head.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... ndex.shtml

As far as I know the only guys that have really gone after Cena are him and Kenny Dykstra. And with Kenny there's the weird stuff with the two of them and Mickie James. Conversely, Ricardo has been very open about the bs he had to deal with and he was very complimentary of Cena when asked.
SDM
RealGM

Post#277 » by SDM » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

I do think some shoot comments where Cena's reverence within the company is implied... "Triple H has his favourites and you know who they are"... "there's been a revolving door everywhere, except the top"... get misconstrued often as being anti-Cena when they're really anti-WWE brass (not saying you're doing that, Dunleavy). Most interviews I've read/heard have nothing but praise for the guy, even if it's just "his work ethic is contagious" type stuff.
SDM
RealGM

Post#278 » by SDM » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:56 pm

That is awesome and I was planning on going as Macho Man for Halloween next year, so not having to track down a shirt and bandanna and glasses individually would be sweet.
pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#279 » by pduh01 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:18 am

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/art-of- ... oplay=true

This is a must listen CM Punk finally opens up including leaving/quitting the WWE. I am listening to it but I have read the full description just wow. If true that is just **** up.
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#280 » by studcrackers » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 am

read the synopsis on cagesideseats. he's not to fond of THE BIG GUY
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes