Pro Wrestling History Q&A

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Pro Wrestling History Q&A 

Post#1 » by tugs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:45 am

Everything and anything related to pro wrestling questions. I got some in my mind at the moment:

-When did the "WHAT?" chants start?

-What's up with Punk planting Jeff on the head with the WHC after Hardy lost to their cage match? (stipulation during the World Championship cage match was Jeff will have to leave WWE if he loses) I really thought it was part of the storyline so they can continue with their feud once Hardy comes back.

thanks in advance for those who'll answer my questions. :D

*poster tugs formerly guds with the CM Punk avi. 8-)
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Re: Pro Wrestling History Q&A 

Post#2 » by Starkiller » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

The What thing started during the Invasion angle I believe. When SCSA turned heel he started saying it all the time.

I wasn't watching at the time of the Punk/Hardy fued so I can't help you. But I'd say whatever happened, Punk should have hit him harder.
This ^
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#3 » by Coach Smiley » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOeZtJuiLUU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiqlu7oAVxE[/youtube]
tugs
RealGM

Post#4 » by tugs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 am

thank you for the replies, appreciate it. :D

I've been wondering where those chants started. I knew it was from Austin but I didn't know how he made that up.

now the Hardy-Punk incident....

Starkiller wrote: But I'd say whatever happened, Punk should have hit him harder.

:lol:

he should've. but I guess those youtube vids by the Hardys for Punk would've been a lot messier.
tugs
RealGM

Post#5 » by tugs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 am

another one:

-why did WWE scrap the Cruiserweight Championship?
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:16 am

That taker line on the crowd was classic.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#7 » by CapeCrusader » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 am

tugs wrote:another one:

-why did WWE scrap the Cruiserweight Championship?

I think Vince thought he couldn't market it.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
tugs
RealGM

Post#8 » by tugs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:45 am

last champ was Hornswoggle iirc. before that Shane Helms was the longest reigning champ and he wasn't even a cruiserweight.

should've kept that division. last respectable and entertaining champ back then was Rey.

and VKM's stupid. he had a lot of up and comers back then like London, Kendrick and vets like Chavo, Rey.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#9 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 am

How is shane helms not a curiser?
hes always been a cruiser
Speicaly in WCW
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

tugs
RealGM

Post#10 » by tugs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 am

jeffhardyfan52 wrote:How is shane helms not a curiser?
hes always been a cruiser
Speicaly in WCW

was basing it from his build and style, which is Matt Hardy like and almost non-high flying. :P

I didn't get to see him during his stint in WCW. didn't know that he did also.

my bad, retracting my post that he wasn't a cruiserweight.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Starkiller » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Technically Shane Helms was, but he wrestled more like a TNA X-Division guy than a high flyer cruiserweight in the sense you're thinking of. Still works though IMO. Dean Malenko was never throwing out 450 splashes.
This ^
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#12 » by whysoserious » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Starkiller wrote:Technically Shane Helms was, but he wrestled more like a TNA X-Division guy than a high flyer cruiserweight in the sense you're thinking of. Still works though IMO. Dean Malenko was never throwing out 450 splashes.

Agree, not everyone has to be the lucha style cruiserweight to be considered a cruiserweight. Dean Malenko and Jericho are the two main ones I can think of. Benoit was once in the Cruiserweight category too, correct? Early in his WCW days.

You need a good mix of guys, not just a bunch of lucha's doing big spots. Vince never gave his Cruiserweight division much respect or attention. He only threw it out there to compete with WCW's originally. Some guys made the best of it and made it relevant but you can tell WWE was never really behind it, which is a shame.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Starkiller » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Starkiller wrote:Technically Shane Helms was, but he wrestled more like a TNA X-Division guy than a high flyer cruiserweight in the sense you're thinking of. Still works though IMO. Dean Malenko was never throwing out 450 splashes.

Agree, not everyone has to be the lucha style cruiserweight to be considered a cruiserweight. Dean Malenko and Jericho are the two main ones I can think of. Benoit was once in the Cruiserweight category too, correct? Early in his WCW days.

You need a good mix of guys, not just a bunch of lucha's doing big spots. Vince never gave his Cruiserweight division much respect or attention. He only threw it out there to compete with WCW's originally. Some guys made the best of it and made it relevant but you can tell WWE was never really behind it, which is a shame.

The early days of the X Division was a good showing of how different styles could mesh. You had Low Ki with a sort of Japanese Strong Style, Amazing Red w/ the lucha high flying, Jerry Lynn kept a more traditional style, Alex Shelly worked a good Dean Malenko esque submission style, Chris Sabin and AJ were Eddie Guerrero like in that they could work every style pretty effectively. They had a goldmine in that, it's what drew me to watch TNA in the first place.
This ^
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,857

Post#14 » by Stanford » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I think its a pretty well agreed upon fact that Vince hates three things - Tag Teams, Cruiserweights and Managers.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#15 » by CapeCrusader » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Well cruiserweight is in the name. It's a weight class, doesn't matter your wrestling style. Remember Christian loosing weight in the chicken suit to make weight for his match?
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#16 » by Celtsfan1980 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:52 pm

The WWF claimed King Kong Bundy defeated SD Jones in 9 seconds in the first Wrestlemania, but I had counted more than 20 seconds. Why do they blatantly lie about things like that? I don't notice other leagues around this time lying like that.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#17 » by Coach Smiley » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 pm

I think it was supposed to go 9 seconds but SD Jones was mad about losing so quickly so made the match go a little longer, heard that in a Bundy shoot
tugs
RealGM

Post#18 » by tugs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 am

forgot about Dean Malenko, and wow, Jericho was also a Cruiserweight, forgot about that.

thanks for the replies regarding the Cruiserweight Title! :D wish WWE bring it back since it seems like they're reviving the Tag Team Div and Vickie is still employed which shines hope for managers. :lol:

Cruiserweight division and managers both can showcase the wrestlers. are WWE just afraid of people losing interest on their income generators (i.e. Cena, Orton)? sad.

other titles scrapped were the European and Hardcore championships. the European was redundant since you have the IC imo, but the Hardcore matches were very entertaining to watch. stupid PG.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Starkiller » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm

The only thing about those smaller mid card titles is that they gave the undercard matches some form of meaning. Rather than just heel/face or whatever, you had the belt you could use as a prop for someone who wasn't quite over enough to warrant a bunch of TV time, but you wanted to build up for something down the road.
This ^
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,857

Post#20 » by Stanford » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

The belts should be doing what MitB currently does. It should be a notifier that "this guy is going to win the big one soon". They tried saying that with the IC title last night, but it's simply not true. The US title has more of that feel than the IC title does.

Return to Pro Wrestling