ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Re: ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread 

Post#81 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:53 pm

There might be something to keeping the title on guys past there freshness date as ROH typically has longer title runs, but this wasn't one of them. He had one of the shorter title reigns, at 2.5 months. There was a confluence of reasons behind him losing it and why his run will go down as a failure, but I don't think the length of his run is that reason.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#82 » by SDM » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:56 pm

I went to this... it was a good time, for the most part. I was right up front, haven't watched the event yet, but I expect to see myself all over it. That kind of leads to my first gripe... the fans try so, so hard to become the show instead of just watching. And some drunk next to me couldn't hold in his farts. But I got to knock "sitting really close at a wrestling event" off my bucket list.

The only two signs I saw had spelling and grammar errors and really obvious ones too.

Lots of shouts of "figgit" during the Briscoes match... can't say I liked that much, but it does provide insight as to how Rob Ford could win an election here. Wrestling crowds need to grow up. And read a book if they're going to be holding signs for three hours. "F him up, nukka" from pasty white guys during the Jay/Cedric match.

In terms of matches, Styles/Cole was fantastic... Young Bucks/RD too. AMAZING piledriver spot in the HW title match that happened right in front of me. I couldn't hear much of the Bennett/Maria stuff or the Cedric/Jay showdown (the levels were atrocious and Maria screams into the mic), but it was my first time being at an event that will be televised, so it was cool to wait for promos and run-ins. I'll just have to watch later to see what was actually said.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#83 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:20 pm

Chris Hero is going to eat (or drink) himself out of wrestling

Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#84 » by WRau1 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:38 pm

That picture seriously makes me sad. The guy had all the tools to at least be a midcard mainstay in the WWE but is just pissing it all away.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#85 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:20 pm

Bobby Fish could be a Vaudevillian with his current look
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#86 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 12:06 am

I'm always hesitant to put too much stock into pictures like that. I remember seeing a picture of Zack Ryder around a year ago looking really fat and then seeing him on Superstars like a week later and he looked the same as he always has.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#87 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 12:35 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ck6M943jpg[/youtube]

How about a video?
2:58.

He's Morishima sized. Still appears to move around as well as he ever did though.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#88 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 12:40 am

By the way...

The anatomy of a PWG match appears to be Big Move, Big Move, Big Move, Big Move, Big Move, Big Move, Big Move, Submission, reversal, Big Move, Big Move, pinfall.

And the internet wants to talk about Cena not being able to sell. Good grief at some of those clips.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#89 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:53 am

Yeah it definitely looks like he's let himself go a bit. Right at the end of his NXT run he put on some weight and it looks like he stopped working out as strenuously and now that excess weight is all flab. Don't know if its due to him not caring enough or a minor injury that hampered his ability to work out.

Comparing WWE wrestlers' selling, any of them, to the selling of an Indy wrestler is a little absurd. Indy wrestling is, by and large, and especially PWG is about putting on a wall-to-wall action packed match in an intimate environment. You can't and shouldn't do that with the WWE schedule.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#90 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:34 am

safi wrote:Comparing WWE wrestlers' selling, any of them, to the selling of an Indy wrestler is a little absurd. Indy wrestling is, by and large, and especially PWG is about putting on a wall-to-wall action packed match in an intimate environment. You can't and shouldn't do that with the WWE schedule.

Maybe so. I think it looks awful on a screen.

I was more or less saying I assume the people who like this stuff are the same people who think Cena can't sell.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#91 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:38 am

Stanford wrote:
safi wrote:Comparing WWE wrestlers' selling, any of them, to the selling of an Indy wrestler is a little absurd. Indy wrestling is, by and large, and especially PWG is about putting on a wall-to-wall action packed match in an intimate environment. You can't and shouldn't do that with the WWE schedule.

I was more or less saying I assume the people who like this stuff are the same people who think Cena can't sell.

I LOVE the action of PWG and KNOW that Cena is much better in the ring than he's given credit for.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#92 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:40 am

Marcus wrote:
Stanford wrote:

I LOVE the action of PWG and KNOW that Cena is much better in the ring than he's given credit for.

(I haven't watched a PWG match in a long time, so I'm really not qualified to speak on the subject anyway. I just thought those clips looked silly)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#93 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:55 am

Stanford wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Stanford wrote:

(I haven't watched a PWG match in a long time, so I'm really not qualified to speak on the subject anyway. I just thought those clips looked silly)

yeah some of the pacing can be a bit off and they do lobby move after move after move but its all scripted by the workers to be as entertaining and action packed as possible. Its what they do there same as Chikara does comedy in their wrestling and certain workers in WWE perform only certain roles on the show. I don't think the PWG guys can't work if they had to adjust to the pacing of WWE. I mean Sami Zayn and Steen were mainstays there and Adam Cole being perhaps the hottest prospect in the indies can def work a variety of styles. Comes down to roles and the type of entertainment they're asked to provide.
Watch More Basketball

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#94 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:57 am

Well put. I agree.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#95 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 5:37 am

Stanford wrote:

I'm not much of a PWG fan, but I just don't see any sort of contradiction between liking PWG and thinking Cena is poor at selling. PWG offers itself as a certain product and they should be viewed and critiqued within that context. WWE offers itself as a certain product and they should be viewed and critiqued within that context.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#96 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:40 pm

Stanford wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ck6M943jpg[/youtube]

How about a video?

He's Morishima sized. Still appears to move around as well as he ever did though.

Honestly never seen any PWG stuff before. That video was pretty bad ass though. Definitely made me want to check out a few matches. It does seem as if the entire promotion is just a bunch of spot monkeys though. Cool for visual effect but I couldn't sit down and watch it for any long duration of time, I don't think so anyway.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#97 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:18 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
Stanford wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ck6M943jpg[/youtube]

How about a video?

Honestly never seen any PWG stuff before. That video was pretty bad ass though. Definitely made me want to check out a few matches. It does seem as if the entire promotion is just a bunch of spot monkeys though. Cool for visual effect but I couldn't sit down and watch it for any long duration of time, I don't think so anyway.

the highlight reels don't really capture the whole of what happens on the shows. highly entertaining stuff with the comedy they mix in. the crowd interaction is usually pretty hilarious itself. the wrestlers aren't really out there to be as serious as they would in other promotions its really like a bunch of friends getting together for say a thanksgiving pickup football game or something to that effect.

for instance im watching a match right now where to fan favorite teams are facing off one team featuring Candace LaRae and the opposing team refuses to hit a girl the crowd breaks out into chants of "equal rights" and "punch her face" pretty hilarious.

there was another tag match where all the participants were black and tried one upping each other by changing there team name during the in-ring announcements to highlight that (African American Wolves, The Martin Luther Kings of Wrestling, Malcolm Degeneration X) it was pretty funny stuff.

you get a good mix of entertainment and depending on who is sporting the belts their title matches can be fairly well paced where the big action spots have plenty of build.
Watch More Basketball

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:19 pm

I would call it misplaced snobbery rather than a contradiction.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#99 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:29 pm

by the way, anybody interested in seeing a full PWG show private message me an email address and I can try to google drive it to ya or I might even upload one to the tube if that doesn't work. just let a mafukka know.
Watch More Basketball

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#100 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:36 pm

Marcus wrote:by the way, anybody interested in seeing a full PWG show private message me an email address and I can try to google drive it to ya or I might even upload one to the tube if that doesn't work. just let a mafukka know.

What is objectively their best show?

Return to Pro Wrestling