WWE Network Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Re: WWE Network Thread 

Post#701 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:25 pm

Just got an email notifying me that they added the last 80 episodes of WCW Monday Nitro to the network, so they now have every single episode of Nitro available on demand. I kinda want to watch some of those last episodes because I don't think I remember a lot of that stuff happening. I was either not watching anymore or it was just bad enough that I blocked it out.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#702 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 am

So I've been on a bit of a staycation this week and any time I've been home I've put on the Network in the background. Been watching episodes of Raw following the Montreal Screw Job and all the way through Austin winning the title at WM14. I've skipped parts of episodes but it's pretty damn awesome to see DX v1, the development of Austin, the development of Rock and all the other guys through the Attitude era. Even cooler is seeing Austin drink beer for the first time on TV that later became such a staple celebration, or the development of all the Rock's key tag lines or the people's elbow before it was called that or DX developing withe the Outlaws.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#703 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:04 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Just got an email notifying me that they added the last 80 episodes of WCW Monday Nitro to the network, so they now have every single episode of Nitro available on demand. I kinda want to watch some of those last episodes because I don't think I remember a lot of that stuff happening. I was either not watching anymore or it was just bad enough that I blocked it out.

Need to add Saturday Nitro now.

Had some solid matches on that show!
BrunoSkull
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#704 » by whysoserious » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:06 pm

Any of the veterans that followed wrestling during the Attitude Era know if there was something deeper going on behind the scenes with LOD around that time. Been watching Raw from 97 through 98 and there's a stretch of LOD just getting destroyed week after week, almost breaking up, Hawk having his head shaved and both guys changing their hair, reuniting as LOD2000 with Sunny as a manager, Sunny disappearing, they bring back Paul Ellering and he turns on them to join DOA.

It just seems weird and almost like the typical weekly Vinny Mac punishment.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#705 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 2, 2016 2:31 pm

whysoserious wrote:Any of the veterans that followed wrestling during the Attitude Era know if there was something deeper going on behind the scenes with LOD around that time. Been watching Raw from 97 through 98 and there's a stretch of LOD just getting destroyed week after week, almost breaking up, Hawk having his head shaved and both guys changing their hair, reuniting as LOD2000 with Sunny as a manager, Sunny disappearing, they bring back Paul Ellering and he turns on them to join DOA.

It just seems weird and almost like the typical weekly Vinny Mac punishment.

Not really sure, but I know that was back when Hawk was having real life issues with drugs and alcohol (which ultimately led to his death). The suicide angle they did with Hawk on RAW was despicable and both Hawk and Animal didn't want to do it, but went through with it anyway.

If you're currently digging into that era, you should listen to The New Generation Podcast. It's 3 guys who have been going back and watching things from 93-98, in order, and giving commentary on it. They're pretty damn funny and they've got good insights. Definitely a good companion piece if you're going back and watching that era.

https://twitter.com/newgenpodcast
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#706 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 2, 2016 5:25 pm

Speaking of that podcast, they just covered In Your House: Canadian Stampede. If you want to hear a crowd that is absolutely blistering hot, watch the main event of this ppv. It's a 5 on 5 tag match pitting The Hart Foundation against Stone Cold, Goldust, Ken Shamrock, and LOD. The crowd is absolutely insane for this match from the intros through the finish. They're so rowdy that it shakes the hard cam at least twice that I noticed. The pop that Owen gets when he tags in is enough to make your hair stand on end.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#707 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:50 pm

Figured I'd throw this here since the episodes will end up on the network anyway...

Watch that preview video. I know this is all scripted, at least like 90% of it anyway, but regardless that clip makes Cena look like an absolute **** (which he may or may not be in real life outside of WWE).
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#708 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 2:49 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Just got an email notifying me that they added the last 80 episodes of WCW Monday Nitro to the network, so they now have every single episode of Nitro available on demand. I kinda want to watch some of those last episodes because I don't think I remember a lot of that stuff happening. I was either not watching anymore or it was just bad enough that I blocked it out.

It's a shame they didn't book the 1998 Starrcade correctly...WCW in its heyday was pretty good from what I remember and from what I can find on Youtube. But the stuff towards the end of it was pretty awful. I stopped watching after the Finger Poke of doom and then didn't even watch another episode of Nitro until the Millionaire's Club/New Blood feud when Booker T got fired and became GI Bro.

My how WCW should've booked things rant:
All they had to do at Starrcade was let Goldberg beat Nash cleanly, Hall uses the taser AFTER the match and joins the Wolfpack. nWo Hollywood comes out at the beginning of Nitro and offers Goldberg membership, which he declines. Goldberg and nWo Hollywood make the save for eachother from Wolfpack attacks over the next couple of weeks, to the point where WCW wrestlers and fans start questioning his loyalty. This culminates in a showdown between Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen (who were feuding with Bischoff at the time) having a heated encounter with Goldberg where Goldberg and Mongo almost come to blows. This sets up a 3-way team elimination match with the Wolfpack vs. Hollywood vs. Four Horsemen for Souled Out. Wolfpack puts up Hall, Nash, Sting, and Luger. The Hoursemen have Flair, Benoit, Mongo, and Malenko. Hollywood has Steiner, Hennig, the Giant, and a mystery partner who everyone presumes to be Goldberg. On the final episode of Thunder before Souled Out, Mongo is found beaten up backstage and everyone thinks Goldberg is behind it. Following the accusations, Goldberg walks out on WCW and says he needs time to re-evaluate things and clear his head. At Souled Out, nWo Hollywood announces the returning Hollywood Hogan as their 4th man. When the Horsemen come out, it's only Flair, Benoit, and Malenko. They walk to the ring and enter as a trio, starting the match without a 4th man. When the Horsemen look overwhelmed, Goldberg's music hits and he is revealed as the 4th member of the team and the newest member. The following Nitro they talk about Mongo stepping over boundaries and them having to "deal with him." During the summer of 1999, the Horsemen turn on Goldberg as Flair gets jealous and Sid Vicious returns to WCW as the 4th member, allowing Flair to end the streak. He then reveals that it was a setup, letting Goldberg into the Horsemen so that he could get his hands on the belt.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Wo1verine

Post#709 » by Wo1verine » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:34 am

Bros, the network is lacking on WCW content.

Where is saturday night nitro and Thunder?
BrunoSkull
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#710 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Wo1verine wrote:Bros, the network is lacking on WCW content.

Wasn't there only 1 "Saturday Nitro" and it wasn't even televised?
TaxiDriver
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#711 » by TaxiDriver » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 pm

The extra WCW content will surely come. I'm more keen to get the ECW "specials" like Born t be Wired, Big Ass Extreme Bash etc.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#712 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm

About to give Holy Foley a go while I eat lunch at my desk. Hopefully it's not as bad as the previews have looked.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#713 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:About to give Holy Foley a go while I eat lunch at my desk. Hopefully it's not as bad as the previews have looked.

just keep your eyes on the blonde and you'll be fine.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#714 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:About to give Holy Foley a go while I eat lunch at my desk. Hopefully it's not as bad as the previews have looked.

Noelle is hot, but honestly she gets less attractive to me the more she speaks. She's 22 so I don't expect her to be some super mature adult quite yet, but she just acts like a little kid. It's not attractive to me. I'll just stick to drooling over her instagram posts. I don't mean to sound like a sexist dick, but she's a perfect example of a pretty face and not much more, IMO.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#715 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Noelle is hot, but honestly she gets less attractive to me the more she speaks. She's 22 so I don't expect her to be some super mature adult quite yet, but she just acts like a little kid. It's not attractive to me. I'll just stick to drooling over her instagram posts. I don't mean to sound like a sexist dick, but she's a perfect example of a pretty face and not much more, IMO.

Wait, you're watching with the volume up? Well that explains everything.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#716 » by Polk377 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I just watched all 5 episodes and it is how I pictured the Foley family being. I actually love Noelle. She is hot and has a very cute personality. I don't know where all the kids get that accent from. I have lived most of my life in Long Island and no one talks like that here.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#717 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:20 am

Dunthreevy wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I've seen interviews she's done and combined with seeing her on this show, I don't think she should be waiting by the mail for her mensa card but overall she seems like a harmless ditz (yes, I realize that word stopped being used frequently about 15 years ago). And I'd contrast that with Total Divas which I stopped watching after the first season but that show made almost every female on that show seem completely repulsive to me.

And her boyfriend might be the biggest heel in wrestling right now. The obvious caveat that we don't know how much of the story he has on the show is real. But, he's one of those WWE superfans that's frequently at ringside for WWE shows, mainly PPV's. And if his story on the show is basically true, it means he's a douchebag rich kid who flies all over the country going to wrestling shows on his family's dime.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#718 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Sep 2, 2016 4:50 pm

August update just added like 100 episodes of old NWA World Championship Wrestling from like 88-89 ("The Rise of Sting"). I'm watching an old Michael PS Hayes & Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin match and they were flat out dicks to the jobbers they were working. It was also incredibly sloppy.

Hayes does cut a pretty awesome fired up promo on Flair afterwards though.
Wo1verine

Post#719 » by Wo1verine » Fri Sep 2, 2016 7:39 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:

'WCW Saturday night' was what it was called officially - Had years worth of episodes.
BrunoSkull
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#720 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Sep 2, 2016 8:42 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

'WCW Saturday night' was what it was called officially - Had years worth of episodes.

There was actually an episode of Nitro that was pushed to a Saturday. That's what I assumed you were referring to. It was June 28th, 1997 and wasn't televised. It was basically just a Saturday house show but for some reason they called it Saturday Nitro. From what I've ready they did a title change that night with Jericho winning the Cruiserweight title from Syxx (Sean Waltman).

Return to Pro Wrestling